• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

I picked Becky over Makoto for my 1st playthrough. One of the hardest choice to make in my life.

Forgive me, Makoto *sniffs

At least you've experienced what it's like to be wrong is a persona game.
It's actually a fine pick. There's only two confidants I refuse to acknowledge as a romance because I see one as more of a sibling relation
futaba
and one is actually a crap character
ohya.

Such a shame hifumi didn't have more content because she was a real contender for a while. Enhanced persona 5 might make her more relevant in the future maybe.

OrionX

It's that nose that pulls him in.

None have ever managed to resist it.

Hiimdaisy-social-link.png

kewlmyc

Who care who's canon. Spinoffs are going to have everyone be singe as to not to piss people off. Just vague hints that satisfy no one and just piss people off.

Chie x Akihiko is the best thing to come out of the P4A storyline.

Who care who's canon. Spinoffs are going to have everyone be singe as to not to piss people off. Just vague hints that satisfy no one and just piss people off.

Chie x Akihiko is the best thing to come out of the P4A storyline.
nah, P4A gave us Labrys. Definitely the best thing to come from it

Philippo

Guys i'm midway through October and i only have one maxed out Confidant, with 4 or 5 around Lv.6-8. And i still have to start Futaba and Haru.
Am i lagging behind others? Or i still have plenty of time to at least max these?

Also, is there a good way to boost Proficency other than tools?

Btw, i agree with the sentiment that a different, less squeaky VA for Haru would have made wonders.

Hylian7

Yeah as far as benefits go, I think Kawakami is the best romance. Are the benefits for Confidant rank 10 the same whether platonic or romantic?

I'm having a hard time seeing what could possibly be better than Kawakami's rank 10 benefit:
Effectively getting an extra time slot every day you go to a Palace/Mementos. That's huge.

Yeah as far as benefits go, I think Kawakami is the best romance. Are the benefits for Confidant rank 10 the same whether platonic or romantic?

I'm having a hard time seeing what could possibly be better than Kawakami's rank 10 benefit:
Effectively getting an extra time slot every day you go to a Palace/Mementos. That's huge.

Same benefits regardless of romance or friendship.

Though I would personally place Chihaya rank 7 right above Kawakami's rank 10.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Guys i'm midway through October and i only have one maxed out Confidant, with 4 or 5 around Lv.6-8. And i still have to start Futaba and Haru.
Am i lagging behind others? Or i still have plenty of time to at least max these?

Also, is there a good way to boost Proficency other than tools?

I'm in a somewhat similar boat - still haven't started tower, and while the main party are 6-10, Ohya, Hifumi, and Sojiro are only at rank 3 or 4. I don't think you can start Haru until near the end of October, but you might be a wee bit behind? Depends on what your stats are - if you're not above the choke points, you could be in trouble for Futaba, for example (4 kindness needed for above rank 2)

For proficiency, best way outside of tools (in terms of benefit for you) is probably Iwai, if you've got the guts to unlock his social link. Problem is that by this point, your nights are stretched pretty thin between Sun, Fortune, Devil, Temperance, and Moon, depending on how far you're at. You can also rent DVDs for a quick 3 points two times or work at the ramen place, but that takes up time. Or Batting cages, but the amount of proficiency you get isn't guaranteed unless you hit all the balls - easy to reset if you fail, but still.

On the 'more free time' note....I rushed Becky pretty quick up to the mementos dive, but I haven't seen a whole lot of benefit out of her 'goof off in class' benefit, tbh. Only happened 3 or 4 times by early October.

NotLiquid

Goddamn.

I finished the Haru social link in time and decided to commit to the romance.

I've been made a true believer. This is the real OTP.

Goddamn.

I finished the Haru social link in time and decided to commit to the romance.

I've been made a true believer. This is the real OTP.

I actually felt the opposite, as the deeper I got into her s-link, the more it was feeling like I had to be there to rescue her. I don't like that feeling.

Best 3 girls, this guy know what's up.

I mean... that's as far as I got. (See Below)

Damn it, choose already lol

I just can't decide that easily...!
  • Takemi: Best Social Link of the 3 & That Rank 10 Moment... But she's not a Party Member, and is relegated to the side 90% of the time.
  • Makoto: Party Member with some of the best moments and the Best Chemistry with MC in General... But she's the worst Social Link of the 3 and has a decidedly 'Eh' Ultimate Persona.
  • Haru: Party Member with the Best Thief Costume & a Solid Social Link + Grew On Me... But she has that Super Soft & High-Pitched Voice and a forehead you could land a plane on.
I was set on Makoto before I started, but now I'm not so sure.

RedAssedApe

Banned
only just got access to the third palace:

i think i like makoto best as character (yeah...i'm just like morgana and ryuiji). Yes queen...

But I also want to save my teacher
/maid lol. Doesn't Sojiro find it weird that you're always calling a maid over...
or is this happening after hours when he leaves the cafe?

NotLiquid

I actually felt the opposite, as the deeper I got into her s-link, the more it was feeling like I had to be there to rescue her. I don't like that feeling.

I can understand why some people would feel that but I just think their entire relationship is an endearing one that kinda writes itself.
Two people of wildly different social class coming together over a love of coffee, finding that they think more alike than they realize and then discovering that their individual futures are compatible when together - perhaps more compatible than most other social links since protag grows into the coffee/cooking business himself living with Sojiro. As a bonus I think both her and protag have the best Phantom Thief getups and they're both the most fun to play so hell yeah power duo.

It's romanticized as fuck for sure but I'm just a sucker for sappy stuff like it and it's one of few romantic social links in all of Persona that I feel makes the most sense with the protag (though granted much of this comes from me not always pretending he's just an avatar for me).

Thud

I can understand why some people would feel that but I just think their entire relationship is an endearing one that kinda writes itself.
Two people of wildly different social class coming together over a love of coffee, finding that they think more alike than they realize and then discovering that their futures together are just compatible - perhaps more compatible than most other social links since protag grows into the coffee/cooking business himself living with Sojiro. As a bonus I think both her and protag have the best Phantom Thief getups and they're both the most fun to play so hell yeah power duo.

It's romanticized as fuck for sure but I'm just a sucker for sappy stuff like it and it's one of few romantic social links in all of Persona that I feel makes the most sense with the protag (though granted much of this comes from me not always pretending he's just an avatar for me).

MC will look like Sojiro in 25 years. Old dandy with lots of beans.

I'm leaning towards Becky, just finished the 2nd dungeon.

Regardless of who I choose, I will never understand those who go for Becky. She's a great teacher and I'm glad I could help her get back to that, but she doesn't work as a romance partner - especially with her backstory.

Two people of wildly different social class coming together over a love of coffee, finding that they think more alike than they realize and then discovering that their individual futures are compatible when together - perhaps more compatible than most other social links since protag grows into the coffee/cooking business himself living with Sojiro. As a bonus I think both her and protag have the best Phantom Thief getups and they're both the most fun to play so hell yeah power duo.

I can definitely see all of this - it's part of why she's even an option for me. She's super sweet with a mischievous side, and them bonding over coffee makes her Social Link so much better than Makoto's bodyguard escapades at the very least.

Regardless of who I choose, I will never understand those who go for Becky. She's a great teacher and I'm glad I could help her get back to that, but she doesn't work as a romance partner - especially with her backstory.

I can definitely see all of this - it's part of why she's even an option for me. She's super sweet with a mischievous side, and them bonding over coffee makes her Social Link so much better than Makoto's bodyguard escapades at the very least.

Makoto has so many great interactions with the cast, you know you should pick the Queen.
LiquidDeadlyCanine-size_restricted.gif

Wish I could find the
Futaba
Confidant's with our Queen gif'd somewhere

LotusHD

Banned

She's both your teacher and your personal maid/servant. I don't think it's that hard to understand why some would dig that lmao

Zafir

Oh man, speaking of Haru.

I see what people mean now about her turning down. I didn't manage to get her SL far on the first playthrough due to it requiring level 5 proficiency, so I didn't see it until now.

She looks devastated. x.x

What have you done MC.

*reloads the game to see the romance route*

Aki-at

Oh man, speaking of Haru.

I see what people mean now about her turning down. I didn't manage to get her SL far on the first playthrough due to it requiring level 5 proficiency, so I didn't see it until now.

She looks devastated. x.x

What have you done MC.

*reloads the game to see the romance route*

Pft how bad can it be.

*Checks on youtube*

Oh... Oh my... Um... I feel awful now.

Guess I know who I'm going with in NG+

Ann actually runs off if you do, so I guess she is pretty disappointed, despite the entire thing being rather indirect.

Half the romance choices come out of nowhere and are often incredibly vegue where most rational people would just consider the person being a good friend.

Pft how bad can it be.

*Checks on youtube*

Oh... Oh my... Um... I feel awful now.

Guess I know who I'm going with in NG+

Now you know why it'd so hard to choose from the three!

One is a sharp & smart Student Council President, one is a fluffy and sweet coffee-loving CEO, and the last is an earnest and mature punk-doctor bombshell.

They're all so great!

duckroll

So I got to Rank 9 with Takemi last night. I was going to go romance, because why not, but when it came to the final question I just couldn't. Felt wrong and awkward to pop it out from nowhere, and creepy too. Probably illegal for her. Lots of serious questionable issues. So I went with "What do you think" wondering if there would be another prompt after that. Seemed like she wasn't expecting much anyway, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Would have been mega wrong if she was actually thirsty for a highschooler. I'm not going to make people commit crimes!

Speaking of committing crimes though. I finally did a single rank of Iwai. Wow... it's not what I expected. I thought I was going do shady "gun" running for him. But it's actually... yakuza espionage?! Rad.

Gonna max out Becky soon. I fear the worst. I hope I don't feel compelled to turn her in when she gets too clingy. RIP.

Can't get any further with Makoto because her friend says I'm not hot enough, so I've been drowning myself in the bathhouse. I'm gonna turn into a prune soon. Send help.

So I got to Rank 9 with Takemi last night. I was going to go romance, because why not, but when it came to the final question I just couldn't. Felt wrong and awkward to pop it out from nowhere, and creepy too. Probably illegal for her. Lots of serious questionable issues. So I went with "What do you think" wondering if there would be another prompt after that. Seemed like she wasn't expecting much anyway, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Would have been mega wrong if she was actually thirsty for a highschooler. I'm not going to make people commit crimes!

To be fair, you confess, she puts it off saying it wouldn't be right, but is obviously already kinda into it. Fast forward a few more days, she sends you a text asking if she can come over, and you get the rank 10 scene I linked earlier.

I mean, it's still wrong on some level, but only for another year, assuming they live in Tokyo, right?

Aki-at

Now you know why it'd so hard to choose from the three!

One is a sharp & smart Student Council President, one is a fluffy and sweet coffee-loving CEO, and the last is an earnest and mature punk-doctor bombshell.

They're all so great!

On the flipside with Haru I know that if I ever piss her off I won't have to worry about being beaten up with aikido moves or worry about being drugged and having one of my kidneys remove.

(For me it was a choice between the doc and Makoto but I went with who I'd date if I was back in school so Makoto won out and I didn't have enough proficiency to hang out with Haru but in NG+ I know who I'm sticking with haha)

Speaking of committing crimes though. I finally did a single rank of Iwai. Wow... it's not what I expected. I thought I was going do shady "gun" running for him. But it's actually... yakuza espionage?! Rad.

Gonna max out Becky soon. I fear the worst. I hope I don't feel compelled to turn her in when she gets too clingy. RIP.

Can't get any further with Makoto because her friend says I'm not hot enough, so I've been drowning myself in the bathhouse. I'm gonna turn into a prune soon. Send help.

Dude don't use the bath house if you haven't maxed out Yoshida or Ohya, visiting either of them with their s link gives you 3+ charm! Bathhouse is just a waste of time otherwise!

duckroll

Dude don't use the bath house if you haven't maxed out Yoshida or Ohya, visiting either of them with their s link gives you 3+ charm! Bathhouse is just a waste of time otherwise!

Yoshida was the first link I maxed. No way I'm passing up all those money bonuses. Demon negotiation is a political art. :p

I'm not doing Ohya because a) the skills are literally useless, b) I don't want STDs. Sorry.

I mean, it's still wrong on some level, but only for another year, assuming they live in Tokyo, right?

Dude...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Haru is so adorably sweet, you guys rejecting her are monsters.

Well I did it too at first in favor of Makoto, but I will correct that mistake in NG+

Top Bottom