• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Dantis

That's what was needed in the situation.

Somebody had to properly take charge of the group, because your character really doesn't.

Not?

Because the two people you'll be hanging out with are hugely superficial, not because she thinks you're not handsome enough.

Reasonably sure she says something like "and I'm inclined to agree".

SEEMS TO ME THAT THE SUPERFICIAL ONE HERE IS GROUCHO MAKOTO.

And that's why Haru is better.

Mediking

Hell, he actually speaks in some cutscenes. That surprised me.

Lol same here. Jaw dropped when I saw my boy say a line in the opening.

It's always cool to hear Joker actually say lines when you're fighting too. He says lines even when you reconsider doing something in a battle.

But not saying actual lines in dialogue or not having a cool stylized portrait THAT EVERYONE ELSE HAS is getting quite immersion breaking.

if they made him talk a few times why not just let him talk

does anyone seriously self insert in these characters? It wouldn't be as jarring if he actually had like conversations with these people. Instead I giggle and pretend these girls are so self absorbed that a guy that just stares at them quietly is 10/10 male would date he lets me talk my heart out with occasional quip.

Reasonably sure she says something like "and I'm inclined to agree"

She does indeed say "and I'm inclined to agree" - really caught me off guard. She doesn't care about Joker as anything more than a friend until the Rank 9 conversation.

Also, for the tagged bit: on some level I agree, I just wish Makoto wasn't almost the only female character as far as the main story is concerned. Haru has no time to shine like she does in her confidant.

vjXMtyD.gif

Mediking

does anyone seriously self insert in these characters? It wouldn't be as jarring if he actually had like conversations with these people. Instead I giggle and pretend these girls are so self absorbed that a guy that just stares at them quietly is 10/10 male would date he lets me talk my heart out with occasional quip.

I... kinda self insert myself into these characters... I still want Joker to talk though. It's kinda getting ridiculous that he's quiet during scenes.

I can't self insert in these games. I never make myself. I always make a character.

In this case I gave him the edgiest name like 'Murder Shadow'. Which makes it all the funnier when people are like "Shadow-kun!"

lmao

cheez124

Reasonably sure she says something like "and I'm inclined to agree".

SEEMS TO ME THAT THE SUPERFICIAL ONE HERE IS GROUCHO MAKOTO.

she says "I was going to disagree, but you are a bit disheveled at times..."

i mean, she's not wrong. just look at joker's hair, lol. disheveled doesn't necessarily mean unattractive either

she says "I was going to disagree, but you are a bit disheveled at times..."

i mean, she's not wrong. just look at joker's hair, lol. disheveled doesn't necessarily mean unattractive either
Headcanon is that she said it playfully :p

Going through the story, Makoto seemed like the "canon" choice anyway if the game ever wanted there to be one (August spoilers)
like when she grabs your leg when she's scared and when Joker pushes her out of the way in Futaba's palace and they kinda look at each other)
so I was happy since I was planning on romancing her anyway. Then her whole plotline took the "
pretend we're a couple
" turn and I was like... yes.

Dantis

Going through the story, Makoto seemed like the "canon" choice anyway if the game ever wanted there to be one (August spoilers)
like when she grabs your leg when she's scared and when Joker pushes her out of the way in Futaba's palace and they kinda look at each other)
so I was happy since I was planning on romancing her anyway. Then her whole plotline took the "
pretend we're a couple

This is all in your head. She has no interest at all in Joker until he confesses his love.

RalchAC

She does indeed say "and I'm inclined to agree" - really caught me off guard. She doesn't care about Joker as anything more than a friend until the Rank 9 conversation.

Also, for the tagged bit: on some level I agree, I just wish Makoto wasn't almost the only female character as far as the main story is concerned. Haru has no time to shine like she does in her confidant.

Haru only appears so late due to game balance. If she had appeared earlier she'd have stolen the show because the world doesn't deserve a person that's as nice and caring as her.

Mediking

This is all in your head. She has no interest at all in Joker until he confesses his love.

I've only just started her social link but that first event... man... I think Makoto is interested in Joker.

Unless... she's friendzoning him. Lol I dunno

ElFly

Hey, Chihaya just scammed me!

I paid her the $5000 to have Yusuke raise his level with me...and nothing? he still doesn't appear as "Up" in the map, and when I speak to him it says that I won't grow closer to him soon

what gives? I already did the proficiency check in his link

RalchAC

Hey, Chihaya just scammed me!

I paid her the $5000 to have Yusuke raise his level with me...and nothing? he still doesn't appear as "Up" in the map, and when I speak to him it says that I won't grow closer to him soon

what gives? I already did the proficiency check in his link

Sometimes you need to do it twice. You get like 3 points for 5000yen, but if you needed like, 5, you won't get the Level up. Go back tomorrow.

I think some Confidants have a obligatory "won't deepen yet" conversation. At least Tae, Iwai and Ohya had one, IIRC

I went from legit excitement hearing Joker snark before he jumps through the window in the intro to immense disappointment that it was basically a one off. I had resigned myself to Stockholm syndrome-esque acceptance of him speaking at least being better than previous games.

I actually spat out my drink when I heard him ask about futaba in the beach cutscene. Such a waste of his JP voice actor though - if they wanted to still do the silent protagonist thing in dialogue choices, they could at least make him talk more during the animated cutscenes. I guess "all new voiced dialogue" will probably be a selling point for P5C/R.

Haru only appears so late due to game balance. If she had appeared earlier she'd have stolen the show because the world doesn't deserve a person that's as nice and caring as her.

ElFly

Sometimes you need to do it twice. You get like 3 points for 5000yen, but if you needed like, 5, you won't get the Level up. Go back tomorrow.

I think some Confidants have a obligatory "won't deepen yet" conversation. At least Tae, Iwai and Ohya had one, IIRC

oooh

Is the reading same as the shrine then? I mean does it "stick"? With shrine you get 2-3 notes and I assume those are permanent. But since the reading doesn't show these notes I assumed it was a temporary boost rather than the normal notes from actually hanging out or praying at the shrine. If so, nice to know though the game could communicate it better.

cj_iwakura

Rank 10 Tae get.

A+ would have multiple examinations with.

Letting MC voice his dialogues would be a huge improvement, like in The Witcher.

Yeah, if you see someone won't update save the game, do a fortune telling. If the bond won't deepen reload and go spend time with them. If the game says the bond will deepen then said slink had a mandatory non rank up scene you have to do. If the game says the bond won't deepen then reload, pay your fortune, then do something else.

Well this is awkward...

I'm near endgame and I changed my mind.

Haru is definitively the best 'waifu'/girl or whatever and overall best romanceable character. Haru, I'd totally take you to the Ferris Wheel over Makoto and Ann.

Haven't finished the link, I'm only partway thtough. But they are a much cuter couple than the current headcanon. She laughs at all your shitty jokes, for christsakes! And she's interested in coffee!!! She'd make a better 'Mom' for Futaba.

This is some bizzaro land where Makoto is the Superficial choice in my opinion and Haru is the more loveable character.

I hope I have enough time left to max her SL.

Mediking

Well this is awkward...

I'm near endgame and I changed my mind.

Haru is definitively the best 'waifu'/girl or whatever and overall best romanceable character. Haru, I'd totally take you to the Ferris Wheel over Makoto and Ann.

Haven't finished the link, I'm only partway thtough. But they are a much cuter couple than the current headcanon. She laughs at all your shitty jokes, for christsakes! And she's interested in coffee!!! She'd make a better 'Mom' for Futaba.

This is some bizzaro land where Makoto is the Superficial choice in my opinion and Haru is the more loveable character.

I hope I have enough time left to max her SL.

For the record.... I don't really know who I want Joker to be with just yet. I enjoy talking to all the women.

Ann is sweet and it's actually kinda hard for me to imagine Joker asking her out. When Ann sent Joker that message to study together... I smiled because I felt friendship. I didn't feel lust.

I kinda get the same thing from Makoto. She puts her trust in Joker to show her more about life.

Becky is... well.... ;D

I haven't spent that much time with Hifumi yet.

Sae could climb the ladder if she would stop being so cruel at times.

Ohya is like a drunk Yukiko.

I've only just beat Palace 3 by the way. Lol

I've seen a few people say this but I'm just not seeing it myself — where is the drunk Yukiko thing coming from? Is there some meme I'm missing out on?

Edit: I see... then thats a disappointing weak connection considering how different their personalities are.

Mediking

I've seen a few people say this but I'm just not seeing it myself — where is the drunk Yukiko thing coming from? Is there some meme I'm missing out on?

Edit: I see... then thats a disappointing weak connection considering how different their personalities are.

She's voiced by the same actress as Yukiko.

Goofy Yukiko is derpy and Drunk Ohya is... also derpy. That's another reason why people see Yukiko in Ohya.

Mailbox

Goofy Yukiko is derpy and Drunk Ohya is... also derpy. That's another reason why people see Yukiko in Ohya.

When i first met Ohya i immediately thought "wait, is this a returning persona character?"
Turns out no, she's not.
But damn how did I not notice the Yukiko connection all this time. Its so clear.

That dumb laugh is unmistakable

Mediking

When i first met Ohya i immediately thought "wait, is this a returning persona character?"
Turns out no, she's not.
But damn how did I not notice the Yukiko connection all this time. Its so clear.

That dumb laugh is unmistakable

Lol yup. How about the Airsoft Shop guy looking like Akihiko's dad or a older version of Aki? Lol

JediLink

Well I'm glad I decided to commit to Makoto, cause I didn't get to finish Futaba or Haru so I would've ended up with no one. Time to watch the rest of their slinks on YouTube I guess?

With Ann and Kawakami you need to be in a romance else you won't get the option. You should have gotten Hifumi as a choice though, I had her around that level and got her as a choice.

Makoto you should have as a choice too considering I had her at rank 5 on my first playthrough and got the text. That said there's a possibility that choosing friendship will lock her out. Bit shit if so.

Yeah, the second option I got was Hifumi.

To be fair, I didn't notice at first either. Someone had to mention it on GAF before I realized they were the same voice actor, and I think she does a decent job of playing the two characters differently.

But yeah, Ohya = drunk Yukiko.

Astral

You know what would've been a cool addition? Date clothes. What I mean is, every romance in the game has a date where they actually dress up to go out with you once you complete their Social Link. It'd be nice seeing all the different outfits. But I bet Ohya would still strap a water bottle to her waist.

Maybe Atlus should have introduced Haru as part of the reason why you guys can't use school roof as a base any more.

They could have be her usual adorable & apologetic self when you make some small talk with her (similar to how you could encounter Makoto at the library before they let her take over the story). She could also make small talk relevant to current events — and you could have early dialogue options like with the School Newspaper girl. The dialogue could update with roughly the same frequency

Then as it closes into the time for her to enter the story properly she can hint at some family stuff, and maybe wish that the P-theives could do something.

Maybe Atlus should have introduced Haru as part of the reason why you guys can't use school roof as a base any more.

They could have be her usual adorable & apologetic self when you make some small talk with her (similar to how you could encounter Makoto at the library before they let her take over the story). She could also make small talk relevant to current events — and you could have early dialogue options like with the School Newspaper girl. The dialogue could update with roughly the same frequency

Then as it closes into the time for her to enter the story properly she can hint at some family stuff, and maybe wish that the P-theives could do something.

Or have the party interact with her and her fiance during various scenes through the game like hawaii, fire works, etc. Perhaps the party could get a false impression of who Haru was which would build up to what happens in during her actual arc.

Or have the party interact with her and her fiance during various scenes through the game like hawaii, fire works, etc. Perhaps the party could get a false impression of who Haru was which would build up to what happens in during her actual arc.

whynotboth.gif

- but yeah anything to get her into the game earlier tbh. her being granted use of the roof just seemed like a good place to fit her in.

EDIT: And I'm also still disappointed on losing out on all the potential chuuni dialogue we could have got from Hifumi as she called out her hypothetical persona attacks etc

whynotboth.gif

- but yeah anything to get her into the game earlier tbh. her being granted use of the roof just seemed like a good place to fit her in.

EDIT: And I'm also still disappointed on losing out on all the potential chuuni dialogue we could have got from Hifumi as she calls out her persona attacks etc

Maybe the player can even start her social link early free from the context of her joining the phantom theives so that you can do gardening. That would also enable her not to be gimped in the dungeon she joins by not being able to get baton pass and other player skills till late.

Setsu00

Hifumi was a different character when she was planned to be a party member, actually. Soejima says in the artbook that he simply recycled her design.

Maybe the player can even start her social link early free from the context of her joining the phantom theives so that you can do gardening. That would also enable her not to be gimped in the dungeon she joins by not being able to get baton pass and other player skills till late.

Maybe, but I don't see them doing that because it would go against the model for the other party members. Also, I think having her be a bit reluctant to open up to the MC until after the dungeon and her portion of the story makes more sense. Having her hint at stuff not being so great in her own life, while having some small talk around Phantom Thieves earlier seems like an easier thing for Atlus to implement.

It also won't affect the progress of other social links at that point in time if she's is only interactable in the same was as school newspaper girl is.

Basically I just think she should get a bit more earlier screen time like Naoto so players can see a bit about her without waiting 40-60hrs.

Aki-at

Wow I never realised how much cuter Ann looks with Makoto's clothes.

Now I want DLC that swap characters clothes around.

I burst out laughing every single time I saw the (11/23ish spoilers)
SIU Director doing one of his evil phone calls on my second playthrough. He didn't even get a name and dies off screen, yet you see him so bloody much with his "Look at how amazing our evil plans are" scenes.

I don't think he'll ever top the
Goro and Shido exposition dialogue though! If this is how these two normally have conversations how did they manage to do anything together lol

I mean all those scenes with Dojima and later
[Persona 4 Golden Spoilers]
when Nanako got sick and Teddie was talking with her
. There are scenes like these in all SMT/Persona games.

That's why I said rarely :p

For the most part you're not treated to as much as we were in this game, as Zafir mentions,
we have a character that's practically an exposition leak.
I know P4 is more of a mystery so they didn't want to show off what all the other characters were doing, but it helped the story and it hurts the plot here. I mean when it works it's great but when it's bad it's baaaaaad.

pretend we're a couple

Joker also
saved her from a pillar of doom in Futaba's palace. Truly the true canon, that's how much he cares for her.

Joking aside I think these are the moments the series could work on when you have strong links with certain characters. Yeah it's something minor as pushing your friend out of the way from danger or maybe taking their side on an argument but it's nice to see regardless, just adds to the experience and this is my "playthrough"

The funny thing about that exposition scene is
you very easily COULD have justified the scene if the tone was more about how Akechi and Shido didn't fully trust each other. Instead of it being "lets explain how we've pulled off our evil plan together" it could have been used to better foreshadow how things play out in Shido's palace

I've done like 4 romances so far and man, all of them have been pathetically bad.

I feel robbed of a potentially interesting rank 10 having chosen the romance route because all of them are basically the same garbage.

Hopefully with P6, Atlus decides to put some effort into them rather than the "pick your waifu" crap they have right now.

Astral

What if they make it so that romanceable social links split into two branches: friendship and romance? Maybe at around rank 5 or 6 you're given the choice to tell the person you're interested in the and from then on it changes the Social Link a bit. It can give Altus a chance to flesh out the romances and make them more than just dropping "I love you" bombs out of nowhere. It also gives the game even more replay value. It sounds hard to implement though.

I've done like 4 romances so far and man, all of them have been pathetically bad.

I feel robbed of a potentially interesting rank 10 having chosen the romance route because all of them are basically the same garbage.

Hopefully with P6, Atlus decides to put some effort into them rather than the "pick your waifu" crap they have right now.
I've just settled on which voice acting and character design I like. Going hifumi on this run and probably haru if I ever get back for another run.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but for Persona 6, I'd like to see Atlus do away with the whole avatar/blank-slate style of protagonist and allow me to play as a full-fledged character who's love interest is dictated by the narrative. Then I could play as someone who actually feels like a leader. And on top of that, members of the supporting cast could see a piece of the action too. After all, romantic subplots can't occur when the main character has his pick of the litter (*cough*Knaji and Naoto*cough*). Would make for a more interesting group dynamic by and large I think.

But like I said... unpopular. That kind of shake up in formula would go down like a lead balloon with most of the fanbase.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for a more defined character. I don't care for the dating/love elements given that I personally think the implementation has been pretty terrible, in P5 it's even in certain ways worse than in P4 just due having more potential relationship slinks making the in your face nature of it even more apparent.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but for Persona 6, I'd like to see Atlus do away with the whole avatar/blank-slate style of protagonist and allow me to play as a full-fledged character who's love interest is dictated by the narrative. Then I could play as someone who actually feels like a leader. And on top of that, members of the supporting cast could see a piece of the action too. After all, romantic subplots can't occur when the main character has his pick of the litter (*cough*Knaji and Naoto*cough*). Would make for a more interesting group dynamic by and large I think.

But like I said... unpopular. That kind of shake up in formula would go down like a lead balloon with most of the fanbase.

I think we can meet half way between blank self insert and full character with all decisions decided for him. The mass effect model is what atlus should go with for Persona 6. Static last name so everyone can talk to him in voiced scenes (wouldn't even feel out of place with the Japanese setting), voiced dialogue options, dialogue so that it's not just one character monologuing at or talking for the leader, and romance is separate from social links that the player is able to choose as part of the story near the end (I know andromeda changed this).

Astral

I can't pick my wife? Are you out of your goddamn mind? I do love the idea of other party members getting together though. Like come on you can't all wanna be JUST friends. I always get the urge to push Ryuji and Ann's faces together.

Top Bottom