• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Voted Best RPG of All Time by Famitsu Readers; NieR: Automata Places 4th

NSESN

Famitsu lists are useless. They target a very specific public so I am not surprised. But I am glad that P5 topped it regardless.

Servbot24

Banned
Not a bad choice. It's certainly better than the traditional choice of FFVII.

Famitsu lists are useless. They target a very specific public so I am not surprised. But I am glad that P5 topped it regardless.

Sounds like a much more useful list than if they just polled the whole world

Blobbers

Not a single SMT or Sora no Kiseki game. I don't mind Persona 5 at the top, it's definitely one of the best RPGs ever made.

I don't know what the fuck Xenoblade Chronicles is doing anywhere near a top 20 list

NSESN

Not a single SMT or Sora no Kiseki game. I don't mind Persona 5 at the top, it's definitely one of the best RPGs ever made.

I don't know what the fuck Xenoblade Chronicles is doing anywhere near a top 20 list

Xenoblade is better than half of that list.

Lynx_7

Yeah, the lack of SMT is disappointing, though expected. I think I've only ever saw the first SMT (or was it the 2nd one? Can't remember) in one of those lists, and not in a particularly high position.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Genuinely surprised Xenoblade is there. Shame XC2 will bomb there.
Huh? It has everything right now to make it possibly be the best selling one, has the pedigree of 2 crictically acclaimed games, its early in the consoles life instead of late in it, and its on a console that it's selling very well right now with a user base that is willing to buy more games than the usual.

Lynx_7

Whoa, Dragon Quest III outta nowhere. V is usually voted the best, right?

III has always been the most popular entry in Japan. V is usually second place, though sometimes the results are muddied by multiple ports of V split at different positions. (one particularly egregious list had DQ V SNES and DQ V PS2 both in the top 20)

Tonton

I'm more impressed by Witcher 3 making the list, I think it's the only Western game there unless I missed something

No kiseki makes this list invalid tho :^)

I think the "recency bias" argument is deflated a bit by the fact that 70-80% of the list are titles five or more years old. And the fact that several new RPGs released this year aren't on the list. Heck FFXII and XIV aren't on the list and their the most recent FF games.

jonno394

Huh? It has everything right now to make it possibly be the best selling one, has the pedigree of 2 crictically acclaimed games, its early in the consoles life instead of late in it, and its on a console that it's selling very well right now with a user base that is willing to buy more games than the usual.

Depends what we constitute as a bomb. LTD of 150k, thought similar to previous releases is a bomb imo, in comparison to other decent budgeted Nintendo published title.

Final Fantasy XV- 110
Xenoblade Chronicles- 104

2570552-7139188041-25097.gif

kromeo

Dragon Quest 3 was the game where the series really hit it's stride, like 4 for Final Fantasy. It's always up at the top of polls in Japan

These kind of votings mostly revolve around the most recent games and the ones that are still fresh in the mind of public (with the announcement of new games, etc).

You'll notice this trend in their earlier voting from this year as well.

Best Action game of all time:
03. NieR:Automata (PS4/PC) - 183pt
02. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) - 205pt
01. Super Mario Bros. (Famicom) - 241pt.

Best Action Adventure game
of all time:
4. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4) - 92 points
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch) - 108 points
2. Shenmue (DC) - 186 points
1. Yakuza 0 (PS3/PS4) - 202 points

I mean, I love Yakuza 0, but come on.

Budi

Huh Witcher 3 got on the list, pleasantly surprised! Congrats once again CDPR, you've truly made an all time classic RPG.

This seems like list heavily built on hype from newer games
Yeah, these All Time polls always fluctuate wildly based on what's in vogue at the time. For instance a quick Googlin' reveals these were their best games picks in 2010:
01. Final Fantasy XIII
02. Dragon Quest IX
03. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
04. Final Fantasy X
05. Tales of Vesperia
06. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
07. Persona 4
08. Final Fantasy VII
09. Tales of Graces
10. Yakuza 3​
It's not specifically an RPGs list, but RPGs dominate these lists anyway. Here's their picks in 2006, which at least all seem to lack the flavour of the month picks:
01. Final Fantasy X
02. Final Fantasy VII
03. Dragon Quest III
04. Dragon Quest VIII
05. Final Fantasy IV
06. Tactics Ogre
07. Final Fantasy III
08. Dragon Quest VII
09. Dragon Quest V
10. Far East of Eden 2​

Final Fantasy VII is the only game that appears on all three of these Famitsu "best of all time" lists. Of all the games in the OP, only Chrono Trigger and Suikoden II are franchises that have no active buzz. I wouldn't read into it too much.

Top Bottom