• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Voted Best RPG of All Time by Famitsu Readers; NieR: Automata Places 4th

Then what else is it

I dunno, Action? What do we call Devil May Cry/Bayonetta type games these days. Character Action? 3D Brawler?

If you really think it's an RPG, take a look at the rest of that list and tell me how much it and original Nier have in common with _any_ other game on there.

LordofPwn

the only thing i gather from this list is that Persona 5 must be a great game, and that Nier: Automata is better than FFXV.

Also did Japan hate DQVIII or why is it not on that list?

Khrno

Suprised seeing P3 and not P4 in the list (personally I think P3 FES/P is the best Persona game).I loved P5 but it is a bit of a stretch to think it is the best RPG ever.

I dunno, Action? What do we call Devil May Cry/Bayonetta type games these days. Character Action? 3D Brawler?

If you really think it's an RPG, take a look at the rest of that list and tell me how much it and original Nier have in common with _any_ other game on there.

Yeah I honestly have a hard time pegging Nier: A as an RPG. Is Horizon an RPG?

Lynx_7

the only thing i gather from this list is that Persona 5 must be a great game, and that Nier: Automata is better than FFXV.

Also did Japan hate DQVIII or why is it not on that list?

VIII is popular, just not as much as III, V and IV. I'm pretty sure it's the next most popular after these 3, though.

Taruranto

I'm genuinely surprised to see the original Nier, I wonder if it's because of Automata?

Rest of the list is not surprising, Automata/FFX/Persona 5 are recent and the rest are old classics that you always see in these lists.

Reposting for the new page.

These kind of votings mostly revolve around the most recent games and the ones that are still fresh in the mind of public (with the announcement of new games, etc).

You'll notice this trend in their earlier voting from this year as well.

Best Action game of all time:
03. NieR:Automata (PS4/PC) - 183pt
02. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch/Wii U) - 205pt
01. Super Mario Bros. (Famicom) - 241pt.

Best Action Adventure game
of all time:
4. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - 92 points
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch) - 108 points
2. Shenmue (DC) - 186 points
1. Yakuza 0 (PS3/PS4) - 202 points

I mean, I love Yakuza 0, but come on.
====
Yeah, these All Time polls always fluctuate wildly based on what's in vogue at the time. For instance a quick Googlin' reveals these were their best games picks in 2010:
01. Final Fantasy XIII
02. Dragon Quest IX
03. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
04. Final Fantasy X
05. Tales of Vesperia
06. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
07. Persona 4
08. Final Fantasy VII
09. Tales of Graces
10. Yakuza 3​
It's not specifically an RPGs list, but RPGs dominate these lists anyway. Here's their picks in 2006, which at least all seem to lack the flavour of the month picks:
01. Final Fantasy X
02. Final Fantasy VII
03. Dragon Quest III
04. Dragon Quest VIII
05. Final Fantasy IV
06. Tactics Ogre
07. Final Fantasy III
08. Dragon Quest VII
09. Dragon Quest V
10. Far East of Eden 2​

Final Fantasy VII is the only game that appears on all three of these Famitsu "best of all time" lists. Of all the games in the OP, only Chrono Trigger and Suikoden II are franchises that have no active buzz. I wouldn't read into it too much.
And this.

Joeku

Reposting for the new page.

These kind of votings mostly revolve around the most recent games and the ones that are still fresh in the mind of public (with the announcement of new games, etc).

You'll notice this trend in their earlier voting from this year as well.

Best Action game of all time:

Best Action Adventure game
of all time:

I mean, I love Yakuza 0, but come on.
====

And this.

Okay, so why are people so bad at separating themselves from things they're actively playing or just played? Are they really not self-aware at all?

daveo42

Banned
Persona 5 is the best straight JRPG this year so far, but I think part of it being top cat here is how fresh in people's minds it is. Same with Nier, though playing it now I can see why it deserves to be on this list.

Persona 3 before Persona 4, Japan knows what's up.

That's one of the best takeaways here. Too bad they place FFX and FFXV above Xenogears and let FFVIII on their top 20.

Some random thoughts...

Good for Persona 5. It's an excellent game.

I'm amazed at how popular the first Nier is in Japan.

A new Chrono game would clearly make mad bank. Not just in Japan, but worldwide. Why Cross has been the last game in the series I don't know.

FFVII and VIII aren't nearly high enough.

I'm not taking much from a list where Final Fantasy XV is better than Xenoblade and all the other Final Fantasies except VII. Seems like a bit of a recency effect played a role in voting too. I liked XV, but I would feel better about the list if it wasn't on there at all. It doesn't belong with the rest of the company it's keeping

Edit: VIII doesn't belong either.

Edit 2: I tend not to fuss too much about order in lists like these. 18 of the games listed absolutely have a place up high. I just think 2 out of the 20 don't belong in the same sentence

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Persona 5 is probably the best jRPG ever yes...And P3 above P4? Yep. Legit. But FFXV completely invalidates the list IMO.

Don't worry, Nier:A is also #3 on the best action games of all time list from Famitsu readers.
Okay, so why are people so bad at separating themselves from things they're actively playing or just played? Are they really not self-aware at all?
I think it's just easier to remember the good parts of a game that you just played and put that title above something that you might've played many years ago.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm more confused as to why Persona 4 was ranked lower than 5 or 3. Also, why is FFVI so low? Who are you, Japan?

I'm guessing that P4 ranked lower cause it's worse than P3 and P5. Cause it is. Still would put in in the top 10 though.

Hektor

But it isn't a Bayonetta/Devil May Cry kind of game. It literally has nothing in common with those other than the parts of the core combat system, the first nier not even that.

The entire structure of the two games as a whole is much more closer to any other game on that list than to those two.

I know that the definition of RPG is pretty muddy nowadays, but if FFXV counts as one then so does Nier, the structure of both of the games is pretty much the same conceptually

Yeah I honestly have a hard time pegging Nier: A as an RPG. Is Horizon an RPG?

Literally everybody called Horizon an RPG and debates about that have been had as well.

Shifty1897

I'm guessing that P4 ranked lower cause it's worse than P3 and P5. Cause it is. Still would put in in the top 10 though.

Maybe my lack of appreciation of 3 comes from only having played it on PSP. I guess I need to pick up FES now that it's on PS4 and reevaluate.

iavi

There's a serious recency bias with this one.

Not that P5 won't eventually sit there for some, but it's too early for this call

Keinning

Maybe my lack of appreciation of 3 comes from only having played it on PSP. I guess I need to pick up FES now that it's on PS4 and reevaluate.

It won't make it much better. The Answer is nothing special and you would miss the added gameplay stuff from P4 (like direct control). Should have played P3/FES first and then psp female route to get the full P3 effect imho

P3 has garbage pacing and i found the plot and characters below P4 before Golden. But i'm okay with it being ahead really, i just don't know why japan picked Golden instead. Marie ruined everything.

Persona 5, P3 and Nier automata above P4 I agree with that(Note I do think P4 is great). P5 like Yakuza 0 definitely won because of recency bias(technically not that new to Japan) but whatever both are amazing games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nier: Automata is...not an RPG.

Nier 1 is an action RPG, Nier A is an action RPG.

There generally is no difference between Nier's combat and Nier A's combat except the latter's combat is more involved.

It would be very stupid for someone to claim that a game can't be an RPG if the combat is too good.

wiibomb

I like Persona 5 a lot, but I found it has a lot of problems, some are normal and some are extremely annoying, I really don't agree with this rating, I assume it is because the Japanese players still have the memory of P5 very fresh.

Top Bottom