• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
uGN5ZmR.gif
It looks like there's a few Personae behind that character.

Yup, I am so hyped for this game, it's not even funny.
As for P4U, I am really curious about what they are gonna do now with the P3 cast, and the whole resolution of the 3/4 series. I'm not a big fighting game fan, so I'll be on that train for the story alone. Now PQ, I am in it for everything lol.

kewlmyc

I don't know, definitely not Ikutsuki

It's Alice, even if it's not MegaTen Alice.

The book opens and reveals an Alice in Wonderland set. It's flanked by card soldiers and the Queen of Hearts is on a castle in the background. You can also see the Cheshire Cat and Rabbit beside her.

I thought you were referring to SMT Alice. It could be a redesign if they're going for the Alice in Wonderland look. Don't know much about the fairy tale.

Dantis

I thought you were referring to SMT Alice. It could be a redesign if they're going for the Alice in Wonderland look. Don't know much about the fairy tale.

It's a novel, not a fairy tale. :p

Either way, it's Alice for sure. There's the Jabberwock in the background and everything.

Just saying in the IRC, it looks like the Jabberwock, White Rabbit and Cheshire Cat from Alice are in the opening. Cooooool as heck.

Me.

RIP in peace, Dantis. ;__;7

But yeah, the Persona Q opening is definitely hype. As for the 2spooky parts, what if it turns out that the chibi Persona was actually the grimdark Persona we keep joking about? :V

Tamanon

Banned
Ganzlinger. He sent me a message on PSN saying he posted something he shouldn't have in the Game of Thrones thread. Said it wasn't permanent though, and it gets lifted like July 2nd.

Probably mixed up the "No book spoilers" and "All book spoilers" threads for the show.

Sophia

Probably mixed up the "No book spoilers" and "All book spoilers" threads for the show.

Probably. An honest (if highly annoying) mistake if true, and explains why he wasn't perma-banned as a junior.

Also I've been thinking about this, but I have a feeling that Persona Q is going to heavily involve the Velvet Room siblings. Just the implication I got from all the little details here and there.

I knew I would get hyped seeing the intro, but damn. The wait is suddenly that much more unbearable, it looks so good.
I see what you did there ;)
But I gotta agree. I'm on my second time watching it. If this keeps up, I'm gonna get myself worn out of it, someone please stop me *presses play button again*

Squire

Banned
Probably. An honest (if highly annoying) mistake if true, and explains why he wasn't perma-banned as a junior.

Also I've been thinking about this, but I have a feeling that Persona Q is going to heavily involve the Velvet Room siblings. Just the implication I got from all the little details here and there.

That's good. That's an interesting relationship we don't really get to see much of. That's worth playing up/with, especially in something like this.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm still trying to figure out my team in Q.

Probably going to go Chie/Aigis/Yukari/Meatsuru and.. I dunno who else.

inb4 Ken

I hope PQ isn't canon, or at least the ideas don't make it into the mainstream games.

-Was Igor useless? Seems like the Velvet Room attendants can fuse just fine.

-What's up with these sub-personas? Is the wild card not as special anymore?

Sophia

I hope PQ isn't canon, or at least the ideas don't make it into the mainstream games.

Igor seems to have been sem-retired now. I'm sure they'll have some reasoning as to why the Velvet Room crew are doing the fusions themselves.

The sub-personas are explained as the result of two wild card holders meeting.

Also I must disagree with you. The Main Persona/Sub Persona concept is something I and other oldschool fans have wanted for a very long time. I absolutely hope it ends up in Persona 5.

I really hope PQ is canon. In the end it wouldn't affect anything and would just be a fun adventure that they don't really remember.

-Igor is the one who informs the player about their journey and gives advices and everything, he isn't just limited to fusing. They will prob explain why Igor isn't in the game.
-It's the meeting of the two Wild Cards that made everyone be able to use those Sub-Personas. Besides, everyone just can hold out one while the Wild Card users are able to switch through a lot of different Personas in battle and stuff.

Igor seems to have been sem-retired now. I'm sure they'll have some reasoning as to why the Velvet Room crew are doing the fusions themselves.

The sub-personas are explained as the result of two wild card holders meeting.

Also I must disagree with you. The Main Persona/Sub Persona concept is something I and other oldschool fans have wanted for a very long time. I absolutely hope it ends up in Persona 5.

I feel like the "two wild card holders meeting" explanation is kind of lame due to
Aigis
and Yu meeting in P4A. Maybe it'll be explained better in the actual game.

As for your second point, I thought in the old school persona games, every character had the wild card, but since their Arcanas weren't the Fool they were limited to the Arcanas they could switch to. Is that correct? Is this just some way to retcon the gameplay to old school Persona?

Its just a silly hand wavey explanation that serves to justify adding in something I have been wanting back ever since P3 took it away, so it's all good!

PK Gaming

I feel like the "two wild card holders meeting" explanation is kind of lame due to
Aigis

As for your second point, I thought in the old school persona games, every character had the wild card, but since their Arcanas weren't the Fool they were limited to the Arcanas they could switch to. Is that correct? Is this just some way to retcon the gameplay to old school Persona?

No, old school Persona users didn't have the wild card.

The Wild Card didn't just let you switch Personas on the fly; it granted you power in direct proportion to how strong your bonds were.

Sophia

Aigis

It is a retcon to a retcon, basically. Every playable character could switch freely, but Persona 1 had both a compatibility system and limit to how many Personas you could have at a time. Persona 2 just said "Screw it, you have so many Persona slots, have any that you like and switch them freely as long as they're not character-specific initial/ultimate/whatever types." Persona Q's system is pretty much a streamlined version of the system that was in the original Persona, in all honesty.

For what it's worth, they've been moving away from the concept of the Wild Card merely being a means of switching Personas and more of a unique inner power granted to those in the right situation.

Its just a silly hand wavey explanation that serves to justify adding in something I have been wanting back ever since P3 took it away, so it's all good!

More or less. I feel like it was only removed in the first place to justify the dumbed down version of the Nocturne battle system, so the return of multiple Personas is a great thing.

No, old school Persona users didn't have the wild card.

The Wild Card didn't just let you switch Personas on the fly; it granted you power in direct proportion to how strong your bonds were.

It is a retcon to a retcon, basically. Every playable character could switch freely, but Persona 1 had both a compatibility system and limit to how many Personas you could have at a time. Persona 2 just said "Screw it, you have so many Persona slots, have any that you like and switch them freely as long as they're not character-specific initial/ultimate/whatever types." Persona Q's system is pretty much a streamlined version of the system that was in the original Persona, in all honesty.

For what it's worth, they've been moving away from the concept of the Wild Card merely being a means of switching Personas and more of a unique inner power granted to those in the right situation.

Ah, Ok. Thanks for the explanation.

Igor, well that's mostly beacuse of his JP VA passing away. Japan has this weird thing were they'll sometimes retire a character if the VA passes. Mind you I think this is kinda silly in a sense because well, people will pass anyway at some point and I doubt Japanese fans would be angry about the VA being changed. I get it's a form of respect, but the fact that your retiring a character that has been part of the franchise since the beginning and retired them just because his VA died, I think it's just silly.

As for the sub-persona's, it's kinda like some people said a form of the sub-class system from Etrian Odyssey. Each character in Persona Q will be like a main class or role that they are proficient in being and then will have sub classes in the form of sub-personas, and act as an extension of their , with each person being a different type, so it's basically a mix and match kind of deal, some sub-personas work better with certain characters. Also Character persona have 4 skill slots, while sub-personas have 6, so you'll have 10 in total. So you could get a very good character well equipped with a really good skill set if you play your cards right.
Though really it's kinda a mix of Eterian Odyssey sub-class and the older Persona gameplay mechanics in terms of how that works, just in a more streamlined package like Sophia said.
And like some people said, this is not a new concept, this has been in the older Persona games in a similar way. Also the wild card thing, that didn't come into play until Persona 3.

Sophia

The thing with Igor's voice actor is especially silly because Igor was not voiced in his initial appearances, nor was Isamu Tanonaka the only voice actor to voice him. Takeshi Aono played him in the drama CD for Persona 2, and that CD came out years before Persona 3.

There's really no reason for them to retire his character like that, because he's been an iconic face of the series since the very beginning.

Noi

Hello!

As per the King of Ballertown's request, I'm gonna try to post around here more often since I vanished off the face of the earth previously. I'll blame that on personal stuff + FFXIV being introduced into my life.

I recently started Persona 2 IS (PSP), which would be my third time attempting to play through the game (first time with the PS1 version and the translation patch, second time being when I bought IS PSP. I feel like I'm "clicking" with the game better this time around, though I still dislike the tarot card system for persona summoning. Is it true that it's possible to beat the game using the persona that the game gives you? Cause if so, I think I might just do that.

(Any other beginner tips are appreciated. I already went and gave Tatsuya a Luck Source early on for future gambling.)

Also, the new Persona game came out and no one told me about it! I had to go get a copy ASAP, will post impressions as soon as I get to it.

CorvoSol

So here's a problem I have with that, then. Because aside from the entire cast of Persona 2 IS playing like Makoto or Yu- switching Personas on the fly and having numerous in stock (in fact I think in IS you don't even lose a turn when switching in battle), the ending to Persona 2 IS has
Philemon say that all mankind has the power to do extraordinary things and exert extraordinary control over their world, culminating in the team rebuilding the world on their own.
Making one question the need for the Wild Card in specific. I know SMT4 isn't Persona, but in that game Burroughs says
that humanity is like unto Gods, holding infinite potential for change within themselves. Which kind of riffs off of that whole thing in Genesis about Adam and Eve becoming like the Gods when they partook of the fruit and knew good and evil
but I just figured that this was an SMT theme, that mankind innately has this power to change the world around them.

Course, as of IS I'm also a little confused as to the nature of the supernatural in Persona. In SMT it's just "All myths are true" and God, Shiva, Satan, Mara et al are out there doin' there things (except at least in SMT4 I notice a sort of lack of reference to the J-Man, leaving YHWH feeling really OT.) But I mean, in SMT4 it sounded like it was all very discworld, that all myths are true because we believe in them, or at the very least that Gods need Prayer Badly, but I kinda wonder if that isn't the same case in Persona, since, Persona 4's
Izanami and her offshoots seem to be Gods born from or tied to human belief, and Izanagi no Okami introduces himself as the OG God
and in Persona 3,
Nyx is fed by humanities "death-instinct" and makes a very direct reference to Eden (which at the time I took as Ryoji's humanity waxing poetic and nothing more, but still).
Assuming this is the case, then what I get out of P2:IS is that
Philemon and Nyarlothep aside, human belief still fuels deity in the universe, since belief in the Lance of Longinus, tied to the gospel of Christ, accrued its power thus. The chief problem there, though, is that nobody believes in Philemon or Nylarlothotep. Course they say they're representatives of the unconcsious, so I guess they're more avatars of the unconscious aspects/beliefs of mankind?

Also I am kinda on medication at the moment so if any of this sounds crazy I am on medication at the moment.

Sophia

They actually apparently touch upon the subject you describe in the second paragraph.... in the Tatsuya Scenario of EP Portable, Corvo. I don't think I need to explain why this pisses me off that the information is there of all places. :p

The short jist is that it appears to work on a variation of the way SMT handles it. I'd go into more detail, but I'm actually pretty frustrated with real life situations at the moment and can't coherently type. Also, I've personally always viewed the Wild Card as an extreme or shining example of what
Philemon is referring to there.

cjkeats

Junpei jumping in for a hug!

Koromaru jumping on Kanji!

Teddy and Aigis jumping around!

That one chick eating a corndog in one bite!

iblm93to4dwro0yhx3s.gif
Pretty much my reaction watching it. Everything about these two sets of characters meeting and having adventures together has me giddy. Particulary the goofy adventures.

Caladrius

Course, as of IS I'm also a little confused as to the nature of the supernatural in Persona. In SMT it's just "All myths are true" and God, Shiva, Satan, Mara et al are out there doin' there things (except at least in SMT4 I notice a sort of lack of reference to the J-Man, leaving YHWH feeling really OT.) But I mean, in SMT4 it sounded like it was all very discworld, that all myths are true because we believe in them, or at the very least that Gods need Prayer Badly, but I kinda wonder if that isn't the same case in Persona, since, Persona 4's
Izanami and her offshoots seem to be Gods born from or tied to human belief, and Izanagi no Okami introduces himself as the OG God
and in Persona 3,
Nyx is fed by humanities "death-instinct" and makes a very direct reference to Eden (which at the time I took as Ryoji's humanity waxing poetic and nothing more, but still).
Assuming this is the case, then what I get out of P2:IS is that
Philemon and Nyarlothep aside, human belief still fuels deity in the universe, since belief in the Lance of Longinus, tied to the gospel of Christ, accrued its power thus. The chief problem there, though, is that nobody believes in Philemon or Nylarlothotep. Course they say they're representatives of the unconcsious, so I guess they're more avatars of the unconscious aspects/beliefs of mankind?

Also I am kinda on medication at the moment so if any of this sounds crazy I am on medication at the moment.

They actually apparently touch upon the subject you describe in the second paragraph.... in the Tatsuya Scenario of EP Portable, Corvo. I don't think I need to explain why this pisses me off that the information is there of all places. :p

The short jist is that it appears to work on a variation of the way SMT handles it. I'd go into more detail, but I'm actually pretty frustrated with real life situations at the moment and can't coherently type. Also, I've personally always viewed the Wild Card as an extreme or shining example of what
Philemon is referring to there.

If I understand it right, the short of it is (Lulz spoilers for a game no English speaker will get to play):
All gods exist in the Persona universe as manifestations within the collective unconscious, and that Personas are basically the gods channeled from the collective unconscious through the Persona user, who carries a psyche/ wears a face that embodies the ideas and personality of the Mythological being in question

CorvoSol

I think it was said somewhere that
Izanami and her offshoots were all Shadows and not actual Gods.

On the one hand, them being
Non-Shadow Mental beings makes sense, since Phil and Nyar demonstrate that the mind can generate more than just shadows, and given the demons in P1 and P2 I'd also wager on that, but on the other hand, Marie has power over weather and can call down lightning bolts, which seems less like "she is a creature of the mind" and more like "She is in fact a demi-Goddess" and hence my confusion on that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom