• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

I honestly tried to funnel the conversation into this, just to see what the implications would be. I like how everyone sort of wanted that, too.
The otaku subculture stuff is something that's always brought up for different reasons so I wanted to see how PersonaGAF feels about this, especially considering Persona games are very anime.

Now, time to wait for next Tuesday.

cjkeats

buTKI3A.png

K-k-k-kawaii
Her second album is still one of my favourites.

Lunar15

I honestly tried to funnel the conversation into this, just to see what the implications would be. I like how everyone sort of wanted that to.
The otaku subculture stuff is something that's always brought up for different reasons so I wanted to see how PersonaGAF feels about this, especially considering Persona games are very anime.

Now, time to wait for next Tuesday.

Persona games are very anime, but I'd say they do an impressive job of drawing in a lot of people who don't really watch or even like anime.

Daimaou

I think everyone who's contributed to this discussion across the last few pages has steered pretty clear of making mass generalizations. No groups at large have been insulted.

----

It's a fetish. The shows and characters typically aren't explicitly sexualized if at all. Viewers get their rocks off just seeing the girls.

Eh, the culture around moe pretty heavily supports that it's a fetish, but I'll give you the fact that it is technically undefined.

It's not one or the other. No fetish is. What I said still applies.

Saying something can only be enjoyed with sexual implications is pretty sweeping, there.

wmlk

Persona games are very anime, but I'd say they do an impressive job of drawing in a lot of people who don't really watch or even like anime.

That's what I mean. Had there been a NIS community thread, I wouldn't have dared to try that.

Squire

Banned
But it's about anime stuff so it's all good

I really don't know how he pulled that from my quotes. We established very early in the discussion that not everyone who likes K-On or what have you sees sexual appeal in if.

That audience is out there though. It's not everyone, but I'm not gonna sugarcoat the reality.

I'm not sure why you would insist it's a fetish, and that it can't not be one, otherwise.

I didn't though. I said it doesn't have to be one or the other. And it doesn't.

Read my post: There is no official definition stating it is a fetish.

But a lot of the culture supports the argument pretty well, from what I can tell.

Daimaou

I didn't though. I said it doesn't have to be one or the other. And it doesn't.

Read my post: There is no official definition stating it is a fetish.

But a lot of the culture supports the argument pretty well, from what I can tell.

I really don't get that from those posts, but I'll just chalk it up to a misunderstanding on my part.

Squire

Banned
I really don't get that from those posts, but I'll just chalk it up to a misunderstanding on my part.

I think you found what you wanted to. I know not everyone that likes this sort of thing is some sort of closeted pervert. Especially considering some of those people are regulars in this thread. Just making that clear.

Two more minor quibbles that have been bothering me in Arena's story

--It's said that Teddie was kidnapped because of his Persona's analyzing abilities. Except... Teddie's Persona doesn't have analyzing abilities. All of his navigation was done before he had his Persona, and his stated "ability" there was him just following you and remembering things and using his nose. He doesn't get his Persona until after he stops analyzing things.

--Aigis's given date of birth is impossible, and some of the timeframes given in Mitsuru's story (the only of the P3 character stories I've played so far) for things that happened in Persona 3 (like when the Dark Hour disappeared) feel incorrect. I haven't given them too much thought, but something about them felt off.

Kazzy

oh not you, some people on twitter are annoyed at the inaccuracies and such of this discussion and ignorance and assumed knowledge.

That's almost all me! Not to seem as though I'm talking behind anyone's back or anything, but I didn't want to make it seem like I was so on a moral-crusade about this stuff - Nor do I want to derail the thread.

Either way, the twitter stuff has just served to remind me how embittered the internet at large is, which is unfortunate...

--It's said that Teddie was kidnapped because of his Persona's analyzing abilities. Except... Teddie's Persona doesn't have analyzing abilities. All of his navigation was done before he had his Persona, and his stated "ability" there was him just following you and remembering things and using his nose. He doesn't get his Persona until after he stops analyzing things.
He's a shadow so maybe his abilities was really coming form his unawakened persona? Or maybe his abilities transferred over.

Sophia

--Aigis's given date of birth is impossible, and some of the timeframes given in Mitsuru's story (the only of the P3 character stories I've played so far) for things that happened in Persona 3 (like when the Dark Hour disappeared) feel incorrect. I haven't given them too much thought, but something about them felt off.

In regards to the second one, at some point or another they seemingly retconned certain dates to not conflict with Persona 2. Aigis's birthdate was pushed up from 1999 to 2000 and the events of Persona 3 pushed up a year (from 2009-2010 to 2010-2011)

Given the date of Aigis's manufacture (February) and her date of activation (September) it is implausible for her to have been born in September 1999 anyhow, as that would mean in a single year the Kirjiro Group built three generations of androids in that time.

These same retcons exist in other materials too. Including apparently the club books and the Persona 3 Official Design Works.

CorvoSol

1. I got nothin'. I guess they just wanted to simplify the explanation that both
Ted and Rise can analyze stuff.

Pretty confused about all of it, too, especially since they changed P3 from being 3 years prior to P4 to 2 years prior.

In regards to the second one, at some point or another they seemingly retconned certain dates to not conflict with Persona 2. Aigis's birthdate was pushed up from 1999 to 2000 and the events of Persona 3 pushed up a year (from 2009-2010 to 2010-2011)

Given the date of Aigis's manufacture (February) and her date of activation (September) it is implausible for her to have been born in September 1999 anyhow, as that would mean in a single year the Kirjiro Group built three generations of androids in that time.

These same retcons exist in other materials too. Including apparently the club books and the Persona 3 Official Design Works.
Yuck, retcons. What problem did they have with Persona 2?

Sophia

Yuck, retcons. What problem did they have with Persona 2?

I presume it had something to do with the Dark Hour. Persona 2 can occur no earlier than September of 1999. We don't know the date of when the Dark Hour game into existence exactly, but we know
it came into existence after Aigis's activation
which would put Persona 2 disturbingly close, if not right on top of it.

(For reference, the real life alignment of the Grand Cross occurred in August 17 and August 18th of 1999, and this event is explicitly mentioned in Persona 2, so that's why we know the events in Persona 2 must take place around the start of September at least.)

I presume it had something to do with the Dark Hour. Persona 2 can occur no earlier than September of 1999. We don't know the date of when the Dark Hour game into existence exactly, but we know
it came into existence after Aigis's activation
which would put Persona 2 disturbingly close, if not right on top of it.
Seems rather extreme to rejigger the entirety of a game's events over something that minor that never comes up in any actual game. Adjusting the year P3 takes place would shift every full moon event. Like, Ryoji's final appearance prior to New Years and then it being followed directly by the New Years celebration couldn't have happened as it did. So yeah, nuts to that. Makes it easier to ignore Arena.

what are we doing now?

lHXhWqB.png

[11:43:22 PM] Buddha0991: here
[11:43:28 PM] Buddha0991: now have a pairing cat hates
[11:43:55 PM] ScienceCat420: It's shit
[11:44:00 PM] ScienceCat420: There's 0 chemistry
[11:44:07 PM] ScienceCat420: Persona fans have this sick entitlement
[11:44:10 PM] Buddha0991: lol
[11:44:12 PM] Buddha0991: dont start this
[11:44:13 PM] Buddha0991: this is stupid
[11:44:14 PM] ScienceCat420: where they think Kanji "should" be with Naoto
[11:44:17 PM] ScienceCat420: because he likes her
[11:44:18 PM] ScienceCat420: im gonna
[11:44:20 PM] ScienceCat420: copy paste this
[11:44:20 PM] ScienceCat420: just my 2 cents :p
[11:44:24 PM] Buddha0991: because i find it hilarious

Sophia

Seems rather extreme to rejigger the entirety of a game's events over something that minor that never comes up in any actual game. Adjusting the year P3 takes place would shift every full moon event. Like, Ryoji's final appearance prior to New Years and then it being followed directly by the New Years celebration couldn't have happened as it did. So yeah, nuts to that. Makes it easier to ignore Arena.

More like they just prioritize the details of Persona 2 over Persona 3 because they didn't write it and it's easier to retcon something in the latter.

And you have no idea (P3 MAJOR SPOILS)
how much I hope they show the creation of the Dark Hour and Aigis's fight with Death
in the movies.

More like they just prioritize the details of Persona 2 over Persona 3 because they didn't write it and it's easier to retcon something in the latter.
Yeah, I think I've decided that a retcon of that magnitude is not something I accept, so I will mentally adjust their incorrect statements in Arena where necessary.

Sophia

Yeah, I think I've decided that a retcon of that magnitude is not something I accept, so I will mentally adjust their incorrect statements in Arena where necessary.

If you really want to boggle your brain,
read up on Aegis: The First Mission. It apparently occurs in MAY of 1999. Before her activation date, pre-retcon or post-retcon. Like... uh... what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom