• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT5| Pull up a chair! [NO PQ OR P4U SPOILERS!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoflare

For interesting voice actor trivia...

Maya Amano has the same voice actress with Crayon Shin-Chan in Japanese.

4 out of the 6 Intoners in Drakengard 3 shared VA's with Persona 3/4 in Japanese, I'm not sure about the English version though, but Michelle Ruff and Tara Platt are in there, so there is that.

One-Mitsuru

Two-Metis

Three-Fuuka

Four-Labrys

Elizabeth and Catherine shared the same VA in Japanese, for some reason Atlus reuses VA in different games more often than what I see in other studios, this excludes English version, as it has a lot more repeats than usual due to the arguably smaller talent pools

cj_iwakura

Persona 1

FUUUUUUUUUUCK. I hope I get
Maki back soon
because I don't have any healing Personas I can equip without her. I fused one, but basically I have fuck all in terms of spell cards too because FUCK DEMON NEGOTIATIONS AKA THE WORST MEGATEN MECHANIC OF THEM ALL. As if that mechanic wasn't shitty enough, current dungeon monsters are ALWAYS too strong so even if by some random chance I succeed in guessing correctly and persuading them to join, the bastards don't because Mark or Nanjo is like, 15 levels weaker than Fred and Reiji.

Fucking HATE demon negotiations.

Yeah, that part is hell.

You're using the wikidot, I hope?

persona1.wikidot.com/contactguide#toc54

I look at them as a 'get out of random battles free' card if you manipulate them right.

Squire

Banned
Yep. I'd rather be solo in my interests instead.

Sweet. Friends are overrated. People will only let you down in life. Remember that.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to get some fresh candle sticks for the basement and get the Cheetos dust stains off this shirt.

I go into town once a month to do laundry and acquire essential items and god damnit I'm keeping it that way.

Sweet. Friends are overrated. People will only let you down in life. Remember that.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to get some fresh candle sticks for the basement and get the Cheetos dust stains off this shirt.

I go into town once a month to do laundry and acquire essential items and god damnit I'm keeping it that way.

Where's the Mountain Dew?

Caladrius

That's a fair point. I wouldn't even say they have a simple friendship; it's pretty intimate.

That's also very true.

But now I need to hear your opinion on Yosuke and Rise.

Where's the Mountain Dew?

2580025-6253687329-n51bb.png

CorvoSol

Yeah, that part is hell.

You're using the wikidot, I hope?

persona1.wikidot.com/contactguide#toc54

I look at them as a 'get out of random battles free' card if you manipulate them right.

The main problem, as I see it, is that I expected Reiji to be the best at negotiation but he's pretty much the actual worst. Who the fuck thought giving him yell and threaten was okay?

MARK is the one who succeeds. Brag till you can't brag no mo

Acid08

Banned
In fairness, I like to think that the people of Japan do not uniformly think loli stuff is great either.
Sure but I'm not really talking about the entire country, I should have been more specific. Anime and game makers sure seem okay with it. Stuff like Disgaea "oh hey thousand year old demon looks like scantily clad 10 year old." It's like c'mon son, really?

CorvoSol

Sure but I'm not really talking about the entire country, I should have been more specific. Anime and game makers sure seem okay with it. Stuff like Disgaea "oh hey thousand year old demon looks like scantily clad 10 year old." It's like c'mon son, really?

Ah, I agree with you there. Boob armor in Fire Emblem Awakening I could handle but Nowi being a 1000 year old dragon who looks like a 13 year old girl who you can totally make marry grown men and make babies with them was reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally unwelcome.

Which is a shame, because had that aspect of Nowi's character been deleted, I think she'd've been a pretty okay character.

wmlk

The view that Westerners generally have of Japan nowadays is very interesting. The examples with loli characters certainly don't help.

Squire

Banned
The view that Westerners generally have of Japan nowadays is very interesting. The examples with loli characters certainly don't help.

It's interesting because it seems the niche-r you get the more problematic content there is.

Anime in general sort of has an unhealthy obsession with little girls.

FluxWaveZ

Arcade update's out, just as planned.
Report from a Kanji player was that Shadow Kanji's health was increased from Kanji's standard 10,500 HP to 12,500, which is a significant health increase (also just as planned).

cj_iwakura

The main problem, as I see it, is that I expected Reiji to be the best at negotiation but he's pretty much the actual worst. Who the fuck thought giving him yell and threaten was okay?

MARK is the one who succeeds. Brag till you can't brag no mo

Ayase is wonderful. She's in my team right now.

wmlk

It's interesting because it seems the niche-r you get the more problematic content there is.

Anime in general sort of has an unhealthy obsession with little girls.

Well, not just that, people then point to the declining birth rate and think that the otaku culture is the root of that issue. I certainly won't deny there's a connection, but it's a huge stigma against the country and is probably not fair.

Squire

Banned
Well, not just that, people then point to the declining birth rate and think that the otaku culture is the root of that issue. I certainly won't deny there's a connection, but it's a huge stigma against the country and is probably not fair.

For sure, for sure.

I don't like Moe stuff.

One of my favorite series, The Melancholy of Garuhi Suzumiya, makes a pretty good effort to satirize it.

Kazzy

In fairness, I like to think that the people of Japan do not uniformly think loli stuff is great either.

You see much more it through internet osmosis, than you ever actually see in Japan. In fact, my only exposure to it was whenever I've been to Akihabara, because it's one of the epicenters of stuff of that ilk.

Which makes it kind of scary to think how skewed peoples perception of all this is, having little (if anything) to base this on. "Cultural experts", indeed...

whats a Japanophile?
The thing all of us p-gafers aspire to be.

Psssh. You leave your house? My roommates think I'm dead since I haven't left my room in 2 months, and my hallway reeks of death.(It's really just the smell of doritos mixed with a mountain of musty waifu bodypillows.)

Kazzy

One of my favorite series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, makes a pretty good effort to satirize it.

Well, it does and it doesn't. It makes an effort to (at least initially), but quickly dispenses with it to deliver a whole heap of its own.

People actually believe this? Aren't Otakus niche in Japan but have a lot of disposable income so companies target them a lot? I highly doubt something as insignificant as nerds is going to have a effect on birth rates. IIRC a lot countries have low birth rates(including the US?) but it's offset by immigration. Isn't hard to immigrate to Japan?

I like Man-Moe. Needs to be and look legal though. None of that shotacon shit.

EDIT: nvm, thought it was a euphemism. But yeah, it's infuriating how many assumptions people make about foreigners based off of a minority.

So, like that swimming anime that aired a while back?

Edit: Actually I'm not even sure I know exactly what moe means.

Acid08

Banned
I don't like Moe stuff.

Okay a few of them.
K-On is like the poster child for moe right? Saw some dude in an OT thread posting gifs and saying shit like "dem hips" about these stylized little girls. Obviously the show shouldn't be judged because a fan is a creep(same deal with bronies and MLP) but seeing stuff like that definitely can color your opinion of a certain show/game etc. Ideally those things can be judged on their own merits or shortcomings. No denying the culture surrounding it is weird as hell though.

Squire

Banned
Well, it does and it doesn't. It makes an effort to (at least initially), but quickly dispenses with it to deliver a whole heap of its own.

Well, that's why I'm not paying it props outright. It falls into that trap of doing something with the intent of satire (to start, if nothing more) but forgets that you can't just do the thing to satirize it.

Caladrius

So, like that swimming anime that aired a while back?

Basically.

If only the main plot had been more tolerable, I would have ate it right up. Loved the character designs and the silly parts that were just the cast goofing around though. Not enough to carry the show unfortunately.

wmlk

People actually believe this? Aren't Otakus niche in Japan but have a lot of disposable income so companies target them a lot? I highly doubt something as insignificant as nerds is going to have a effect on birth rates. IIRC a lot countries have low birth rates(including the US?) but it's offset by immigration. Isn't hard to immigrate to Japan?

Well, it's more so that people are such introverts in Japan that they prefer the otaku culture rather than relationships and making babies. I think it certainly has something to do with it. I certainly don't think it's that big of a niche, and especially not in Japan.

Again, I don't think it's to the extent that some people think it is, but I do think it's a problem. I really don't want to get into it, though, so I just enjoy what I enjoy instead of thinking about the complications behind them.

I also think I am biased in favour of Japan so I don't even want to begin to defend it since it wouldn't be just, especially when I think the declining birth rate is a major issue.

Acid08

Banned
I think the girls in K-ON are too old to be considered moe.
That's something that always seemed weird about that show. The characters are supposed to be 16/17/18(correct?) but the style they're drawn in makes them look way younger. I thought that was the moe part.

That's something that always seemed weird about that show. The characters are supposed to be 16/17/18(correct?) but the style they're drawn in makes them look way younger. I thought that was the moe part.

I have no idea, I don't think the show is that sexualized in order for it to fit in the moe category. I could be wrong.

Basically.

If only the main plot had been more tolerable, I would have ate it right up. Loved the character designs and the silly parts that were just the cast goofing around though. Not enough to carry the show though.

Ah ok. I only watched a few episodes, then I had like no free time so I didn't finish it, but from what I saw it had gorgeous animation and seemed to fit the term "Man-Moe"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom