• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

hughesta

Banned
So my copy of PQ arrives tomorrow... which side should I go with? Is one notably better than the other? Are they both worth playing?

Mediking

So my copy of PQ arrives tomorrow... which side should I go with? Is one notably better than the other? Are they both worth playing?

I just got my copy a few days ago. Go with the side that has the characters you like more. I love Persona 3 more than Persona 4 so I obviously chose to hang with Mitsuru and Junpei and Yukari!!!

Sophia

They're the same story, essentially. The difference is that it puts focus on whichever side you pick. If you pick the P3 protagonist, there's more focus on SEES and the combined group of Persona users is run like SEES. If you pick the P4 protagonist, there's more focus on the investigation team, and the protagonist is more the de facto leader rather than Mitsuru. There's a lot of little scenes that change depending on the route too. It's awesome.

Makio

Let the battle theme decide.
P3 side
P4 side

That battle theme is the perfect example why i think Yumi Kawamura > Shihoko Hirata, ,meanwhile the p4 version is so pop and stuff , P3 version is "hell yeah lets kick some ass".

We need more waifus in the party.

We need
Scrunchy
-chan.

But yeah im pretty sure we going to have more female party members besides Ann or maybe Morgana (depending in the gender)

Sophia

Typically Persona games have had an equal or close to equal gender ratio. It is safe to assume that there is at least one more female character, and likely two more unless the party caps at six this time around.

Persona 4 was equal (four females, four males)
Persona 3 was equal if you're counting the female protagonist and Metis (six females and six males, four females and six males if we're just counting the vanilla party)
Persona 2 was equal in Innocent Sin (three males, three females) and near equal in Eternal Punishment (four males and three females)
Persona 1 was near equal (four females, five males)

Makio

More than wonder about more female party members which i sure we get at least one more.

I wonder if this game is going to have a navigator like Fuuka or Rise , or they are going old school like P1 or P2 not having one.

I can only imagine having a cliche hacker one like in a regular heist movies getting info about dungeons and other stuff , basically like Fuuka works for the shadow ops in the Arena games.

bwakh

Don't know if this has been posted yet but small details by Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-persona-5-details-explore-the-phantom-thieves-/1100-6432991/

"Speaking to Game Informer, Persona 5 director Katsura Hashino said the game's cast of five main characters feel like they don't have a place in society, but are drawn together under by a common goal after discovering the Isekai-Navi.

This item allows them to enter the other worlds and steal the malicious intent from the hearts of other peoples. They become the "Phantom Thieves" and, if previous games are any indication, these bonds will likely be a key aspect of the gameplay."

EDIT: NVM

Mediking

I really hope we get a Mitsuru successor in Persona 5..... Yukiko did not carry the Mitsuru torch at all. Fun character but not Mitsuru XP

I really hope we get a Mitsuru successor in Persona 5..... Yukiko did not carry the Mitsuru torch at all. Fun character but not Mitsuru XP
Regarding personality, I think Naoto is the closest to Mitsuru. She is the brain of the IT after all. Unless you are talking about favorite girls. lol

Mediking

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! We all can agree that Mitsuru is best waifu... right? She's the best girl in the series! Yukari is a close second! Yukari is a tsundere with great character development! Man, the writing for Persona 3 FES is soooooooo gooooood.

Lunar15

I don't like the idea of successors at all. Just do new characters dang it.

Also, I think people reach for some of them. Chie's influences are clear, but no one else in the cast really has that much connection to an older character. Same goes for P3.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! We all can agree that Mitsuru is best waifu... right? She's the best girl in the series! Yukari is a close second! Yukari is a tsundere with great character development! Man, the writing for Persona 3 FES is soooooooo gooooood.

*smacks with rolled-up newspaper*
NO. No.

The only thing we can really all agree on is the amazingness of Elly Kirishima.
P3 and 4 are minefields.

P2... I think nobody cares on that front. As it should be.

Though it's always nice to meet another person who doesn't hate Yukari. :)

lol calm down, man. Waifu wars never ends well and the mods are watching us.

you're right though

Rise is better than Yukari.

You are correct.
Her boss fight is nowhere near as infuriating in terms of gameplay or story. You're wrong in every other sense.

Lol and I'm not trying to start a war here. I promise. It just feels so good to discuss Persona with other passionate fans!
Too late for that boyo. Now it's going to get drawn out again because that's the joke.
Or some people are just deluded by the superiority of their own opinions.

Mediking

I don't think Rise is annoying and she's misunderstood by many Persona fans. But better than YUKARI???? The best written tsundere I've ever encountered???? NO. WAY. Lol and I'm not trying to start a war here. I promise. It just feels so good to discuss Persona with other passionate fans!

Mediking

I don't like the idea of successors at all. Just do new characters dang it.

Also, I think people reach for some of them. Chie's influences are clear, but no one else in the cast really has that much connection to an older character. Same goes for P3.

But... Yosuke is a Junpei successor. He literally is. Kanji reminds me of Shinjiro. Misunderstood tough guy. Teddy is a Aigis successor. Clueless about how to conduct around people. Morgana is now Teddy's successor. It's really obvious that Morgana is gonna transform into some beautiful woman.

Just my opinion, though...

daevious

It's really obvious that Morgana is gonna transform into some beautiful woman.

And a car, if the third trailer is accurate.

SweetCarTalkcopy.jpg

Mediking

Anybody else hoping a HD Collection of Persona 3 and Persona 4 hits PS4? Heck, I'd take a HD version of Persona Q with more features.

Anybody else hoping a HD Collection of Persona 3 and Persona 4 hits PS4? Heck, I'd take a HD version of Persona Q with more features.

P3, I'm hoping for a definitive version that looks less and less likely with each passing event.

P4 will probably just get ported to the PS4 store along with every other Atlus PS2 game sooner or later.

PQ, no chance in hell.

I've been thinking about getting into this series and plan on getting a ps vita

I was thinking of starting with persona 3 and had a question .. Which is better FES or persona 3 portable?

apologies if this has been asked before

EDIT:,nevermind I just read that p3p is really watered down

Sophia

I've been thinking about getting into this series and plan on getting a ps vita

I was thinking of starting with persona 3 and had a question .. Which is better FES or persona 3 portable?

apologies if this has been asked before

EDIT:,nevermind I just read that p3p is really watered down

It gets asked every so often. Here's the short rundown.

Persona 3 FES has:
  • Three difficulty levels - Easy, Normal, Hard.
  • Only the male protagonist
  • No direct party control; you must issue tactics to your party members.
  • Animated cutscenes
  • Proper in game cutscenes
  • Stricter gameplay ruleset than Persona 3 Portable.
  • Fatigue system in Tartarus. Your party members will eventually get tired after so much exploration and dungeoning.
  • Multiple weapons for your protagonist
  • The Answer epilogue after you beat the main game
  • Available on the PS2 and PS3
Persona 3 Portable
  • Five difficulty levels - Beginner, Easy, Normal, Hard, Maniac.
  • A male and female protagonist route, with different social links.
  • Direct party control, in contrast to issuing tactics like FES.
  • Numerous minor UI improvements from Persona 4
  • Looser gameplay ruleset based upon Persona 4's system and mechanics
  • No fatigue system in Tartarus; You can stay in there as long as you wish and have the SP to do so.
  • Single weapon for the protagonists; no weapon switching.
  • No animated cutscenes
  • No epilogue; The Answer is not included
  • Visual Novel like cutscenes and presentation.
  • Available on the PSP and Vita.
Most people say to start with Persona 3 FES due to it's better presentation, but some argue in favor of Persona 3 Portable because of the female protagonist and direct control. You can't really go wrong with either one tho. Choice is up to you.

I agree with this

You are a good person. :D

We really need a fourth version of P3, like real talk. P4 has that one big super version that has everything, but no matter what edition of P3 you're playing there's always something you have to give up.

End the FES vs P3P debate, Atlus. Give us Persona 3 IV FINAL.

We really need a fourth version of P3, like real talk. P4 has that one big super version that has everything, but no matter what edition of P3 you're playing there's always something you have to give up.

End the FES vs P3P debate, Atlus. Give us Persona 3 IV FINAL.

"Persona 3 Cobalt" sounds better.

I like Persona 3 Platinum

Yeah, so did I, then we kept confusing the abbreviation with P3 Portable. :/

It gets asked every so often. Here's the short rundown.

Persona 3 FES has:
  • Three difficulty levels - Easy, Normal, Hard.
  • Only the male protagonist
  • No direct party control; you must issue tactics to your party members.
  • Animated cutscenes
  • Proper in game cutscenes
  • Stricter gameplay ruleset than Persona 3 Portable.
  • Fatigue system in Tartarus. Your party members will eventually get tired after so much exploration and dungeoning.
  • Multiple weapons for your protagonist
  • The Answer epilogue after you beat the main game
  • Available on the PS2 and PS3
Persona 3 Portable
  • Five difficulty levels - Beginner, Easy, Normal, Hard, Maniac.
  • A male and female protagonist route, with different social links.
  • Direct party control, in contrast to issuing tactics like FES.
  • Numerous minor UI improvements from Persona 4
  • Looser gameplay ruleset based upon Persona 4's system and mechanics
  • No fatigue system in Tartarus; You can stay in there as long as you wish and have the SP to do so.
  • Single weapon for the protagonists; no weapon switching.
  • No animated cutscenes
  • No epilogue; The Answer is not included
  • Visual Novel like cutscenes and presentation.
  • Available on the PSP and Vita.
Most people say to start with Persona 3 FES due to it's better presentation, but some argue in favor of Persona 3 Portable because of the female protagonist and direct control. You can't really go wrong with either one tho. Choice is up to you.

thank you for the response

for some reason i had thought FES would be playable on vita.. whoops

i do still have my ps3 hooked up though.. think ill start there

thank you for the response

for some reason i had thought FES would be playable on vita.. whoops

i do still have my ps3 hooked up though.. think ill start there

I only got a PS3 a few months ago and already had a Vita for over a year. For some reason I always assumed PS3 Remote Play was a thing that actually worked. That would have been awesome since I prefer these games on a handheld rather than a console, but I did want to play FES for my first P3 playthrough. I'm making progress, but very slowly.

Top Bottom