• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

I'd pretty much put it out there, not even as a spoiler, that a God is probably going to be a dick.

Then again, I guess this one doesn't really revolve around mythology at all.

Zolo

At least Nyx and Erebus were more forces of nature unlike Izanami who was just a dick. Nyartholep's pretty much the devil as far as being a representation of people's shadows so at least it's kind of his job.

At least Nyx and Erebus were more forces of nature unlike Izanami who was just a dick. Nyartholep's pretty much the devil as far as being a representation of people's shadows so at least it's kind of his job.

Izanami was a dick who was also very selective with the information she was given, just like Nyx (or at least the avatar). Erebus was for sure a force of nature, and Nyarly... I don't know, but I've been lead to believe he's a schemer set on bringing about man's downfall to win a bet.

He's just a huge cosmic jackass, which is fine because in the context of the Persona series (or SMT as a whole), it's nice to have a Big Bad that's a scenery chewing jackass once in a while, instead of what amounts to a personality-less force of nature.

cj_iwakura

So...
another Strega?

Nogodnogodpleasenonononoooooooo.gif

Great idea, wasted potential. P2 has far more dangerous 'rival' Persona users in the Masquerade and Wang Long Chizuru.

They're also difficult. Strega are never even remotely challenging,
or even fought at the same time.

Makio

Maybe I haven't been following everything, but aren't the phantom thieves considered the terrorists?

to quote the PV04 they reference an organization so big even the police cant do shit "even if we get involved we get erased" plus other line saying "what a troublesome organization to be target by

i dont recognize jap voices very well but if the main party girls saying those lines then they refer to an antagonist not the Phantom Thieves

Setsu00

Another week and no reveal of Goro's Persona.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to reveal his Persona and they probably won't reveal his thief outfit either. The last spot on the official website for the main characters was filled by the Velvet Room attendants.

However, if they do reveal it, they might do it in the last trailer (presumably PV5).

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to reveal his Persona and they probably won't reveal his thief outfit either. The last spot on the official website for the main characters was filled by the Velvet Room attendants.

However, if they do reveal it, they might do it in the last trailer (presumably PV5).

There was never a "last spot" before the Velvet Attendants were added though.

Wonder if there will be another full PV at all. Usually the launch "trailer" is the op, which they've already uploaded.

Setsu00

There was never a "last spot" before the Velvet Attendants were added though.

Wonder if there will be another full PV at all. Usually the launch "trailer" is the op, which they've already uploaded.

"Last spot" was a bad wording, but there was enough space on the page ´for one more character without having to modify it.

I'm pretty sure there's going to be one last trailer. Atlus loves the number 5 way too much to stop at PV4 for Persona 5.

asagami_

Banned
Now we are talking about enemies I wonder if the Persona resonance is going to return. Hell, I could live even if only the MC have the abilitie to hold multiple Personae, but the resonance was something I really miss :(

And good villains... but I'm some confident they will be.

Zolo

That is interesting. Hopefully the negotiations are slightly less nonsensical than they have been in the past.

I can imagine it now.

Oni: Give me 5000 yen!
>Okay.
Oni: Give me 7000 yen!
>Okay.
Oni: Give me ointment!
>Okay.
>Oni kills party member anyway because he's a dick.

bluethree

Why no? I mean I'll admit Strega kinda petered out but I personally really like the idea of an antagonistic group with similar abilities to your own. Beats the hell out of yet another God being a dick.

I agree with this, even though P5 probably will have
another god being a dick
as the main baddie. More human antagonists would make things more interesting.

.JayZii

Banned
Were those character commercial released all at once? I wonder when Ryuji, Sakura and Goro will get theirs. I like seeing everybody's flashy splash screen finisher, but I still think "Adieu" is the best one shown so far.

Were those character commercial released all at once? I wonder when Ryuji, Sakura and Goro will get theirs. I like seeing everybody's flashy splash screen finisher, but I still think "Adieu" is the best one shown so far.

They've been released weekly, Monday for the original tv broadcast, then an official upload a few hours later.

There are only two more scheduled, so it's very unlikely that Goro will get one.

.JayZii

Banned
They've been released weekly, Monday for the original tv broadcast, then an official upload a few hours later.

There are only two more scheduled, so it's very unlikely that Goro will get one.
That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if Goro is literally going to be Naoto 2.0, or if they will do something unexpected with his part in the story. He seems to be fitting the archetype exactly so far, but they are keeping him pretty mysterious.

Zolo

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if Goro is literally going to be Naoto 2.0, or if they will do something unexpected with his part in the story. He seems to be fitting the archetype exactly so far, but they are keeping him pretty mysterious.

Goro's only Naoto 2.0 as far as being a detective. His personality's completely different and he has a more antagonistic relationship through most of the story by the looks of it.

Part of me believes that they're going to do something unexpected with Goro's character and they're relying on the Detective Prince thing to lead us a stray. Which is why they've been so obtuse, concerning and cutting him out of promotional material. I don't think we'll see much more of him this close to the release.

If there isn't an "oh" moment when it comes to his character I'll be surprised.

Goro's gotten more attention during promo events than anyone besides the MC and Morgana. He's just not been revealed as a party member.

He's also introduced in game before any of the other party members

.JayZii

Banned
Part of me believes that they're going to do something unexpected with Goro's character and they're relying on the Detective Prince thing to lead us a stray. Which is why they've been so obtuse, concerning and cutting him out of promotional material. I don't think we'll see much more of him this close to the release.

I agree with that sentiment.

At the very least, a "huh" moment.

Lunar15

I think y'all are setting your sights a little high. The twist will be that he joins the team. That's why they quickly stopped showing promotional materials with him in it, other than the cover which they can't help.

Knowing that doesn't matter, though. The question is why he joins. We know he already somewhat admires them, but there's probably some event that either forces them to team up or he sees things their way.

Theodoricos

Either way I hope they do something unconventional with him, I don't want him to be a repeat of any of the archetypes from the previous Persona cast members. He's easily my most anticipated character from the promotional material that we've seen so far, so I hope he lives up to the expectations.

I was initially looking forward to Futaba most, thinking that I'd like her best, but with each trailer/reveal she's become less and less appealing while Goro looks more and more interesting.

.JayZii

Banned
Any guesses on who Goro's persona will be based on? Sherlock might be too on the nose, but he himself takes inspiration from Kogoro Akechi, so they probably won't double up.

You know it's Inspector Zenigata.
cLDOB1S.jpg

Lunar15

Any guesses on who Goro's persona will be based on? Sherlock might be too on the nose, but he himself takes inspiration from Kogoro Akechi, so they probably won't double up.

You know it's Inspector Zenigata.
cLDOB1S.jpg

He seems too smart and ambitious to be Zenigata. I think he's just gonna be a sherlock.

.JayZii

Banned
Waitwaitwait! Hold the phone.

Is this our best example of honest-to-YHVH emancipation so far in this game?
Idk, haven't played it.

I think the idea is that they all are emancipating themselves societal structures and social norms in different ways that are unique to each character..

So I just got the Chie figma and I didn't reallize exactly how small figmas were. Anyways, now that I have Chie I need Yukiko. Anyone know where I could grab her at a decent price (Im NA, btw)? And I supposed Yu as well to go with the P3 and P5 protags when they get released....

Part of me wants it to be a homage to Inspector Gadget lol. Metallic arms and everything.

My favourite negotiation conversation is still the Soul Hackers one where the demon tells you he's playing Soul Hackers and that he's at the part where he meets a human named [the protagonist] and then he freaks out and questions what world he exists in.

Regarding the P3 scene (includes spoilers for - obviously - Persona 3 and Neon Genesis Evangelion):
When I watched Winter of Rebirth a couple of weeks ago, I remembered that Ryoji was voiced by Akira Ishida who also voiced Kaworu Nagisa in Evangelion. While I realized this before, I recently came to there might actually be a meta reason for this. Ryoji's and Kaworu's roles in their respective stories are incredible similiar: Both are supposed to be humanity's enemies in human disguise and offer the protagonist a choice. Ryoji wants to be killed by the protagonist so that he and the rest of SEES can die in bliss while Kaworu wants Shinji to kill him as he is a potential trigger of the Third Impact. The difference here is the correct choice: Killing Kaworu gives humanity another chance to survive while killing Ryoji would mean humanity's certain end.

Kaworu was essentially Akira Ishida's breakthrough. Kaworu is one of the most popular characters in one of the most famous anime of all time despite appearing in only one episode of the show's original run. Kaworu's role and importance increased in subsequent adaptions of NGE and he pretty much was the deuteragonist of the third Rebuild movie. Akira Ishida and Kaworu are pretty much inseperable and I would assume that this is especially true for someone immersed in Japanese media.

The point I'm trying to make is that a Japanese player might go into the scene with different expectations. Maybe they were trying to make people believe that killing Ryoji is the right choice as killing Kaworu was the right choice in NGE. It's obvious for a number of reasons that letting Ryoji live is the thing to do in P3, but I wonder if they cast Akira Ishida specifically to let the player doubt his decisions.

Tl;dr:
Atlus may have tried to play with the expectations of the Japanese audience with the decision scene in Persona 3.

It wouldn't even be the only time they use Eva voice actors in a meta way. See: Shinji's voice actor's character being obsessed with a character named Shinji

Lunar15

Has anyone else noticed that the MC's responses to questions look pretty short? They have to fit in those tiny boxes. Shame if true, I liked some of the longer responses from earlier games, unless I forget how long they actually are.

Top Bottom