• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Setsu00

???? What's wrong...? P4G was filled with serious moments then something very lighthearted happens to relieve the tension. It was like a pattern throughout the entire game.

P5 cast is stealing stuff and don't wanna get caught, right? They also gotta juggle grades and other stuff. They gotta relax somehow.

Unless... that scene is particular truly means something else that I don't know.

I don't know about you, but I personally believe that there are better ways to relax than making girls uncomfortable by giving them swimsuits to wear for my own amusement. And before someone accuses me again of being a prude with a huge complex: The swimsuits themselves are not the problem, the context is.

Anime is part of Persona's identity, but anime hijinks like this one are certainly the parts of Persona that I dislike the most.

jzbluz

It's already confirmed that the guys are pervy, but Anne seems pretty relaxed around Ryuji so it might not be as bad as P4.

Davilmar

It is great seeing the level of differences in how people perceive the characters, setting, cutscenes and narratives of Persona 3 and 4. I started playing Persona through Persona 4 Golden, so I will not pretend to have any attachment or deeper understanding toward the series.

I am about a quarter way through Persona 3 (the beach setting), but I already know of the ending of P3. Ironically enough, I have known of Shin Megami Tensei since I was a kid but never could get into the series. Persona 3 was incredibly different from Persona 4 in color scheme, tone, atmosphere, setting, and even the way the characters interacted with one another. I think I may have a somewhat negative opinion of P3 when I finish just because of how much l liked the way P4G handled things.

The narrative of P3 is probably the only thing that I will absolutely say is stronger than in P4G. My only main problem with the story are the characters, and I am not taken with them the way that I was with the Investigation Team. I have watched much of the cutscenes of P3, but I feel more like SEES are simply co-workers living together than an actual team. I understand why a lot of people loathed some of the comedy of P4, but I felt it actually showed them interact as people. That was character building for me, and I really don't see much of it in P3, outside the deaths of certain characters (which I already know who).

I won't get started on the music on P3 or its gameplay, but I am certainly not taken by either. My wish for Persona 5 is that although we can already see it will be infinitely darker than P4, it will have moments where characters interact with one another outside the narrative. Which I think was a weakness of both P3 and P4. I also want our setting to be more interactive, which I think we are finally getting. I personally find Tatsumi Port Island to be wasted potential, and I think P4 addressed the number of things to do in Inaba. I think in the end I will appreciate P3 on its own grounds.

Rutger

Banned
Moments where the cast is goofing off is not a bad thing. In fact, I would argue that these games greatly benefit from that.

When things start to get pervy though, it's hard not to roll your eyes at them. It's a small enough part of a massive game that it doesn't bother me too much, and I'm not worried that P5 will be filled with them, but I would like Atlus to chill out on it.

Setsu00

I don't think P5 is as pervy as the recent CMs make it look like, especially since most of the pervy scenes are from the beach sequence. They probably just know that stuff like this sells to the otaku crowd.

I don't think P5 is as pervy as the recent CMs make it look like, especially since most of the pervy scenes are from the beach sequence. They probably just know that stuff like this sells to the otaku crowd.

Not to mention stuff like the bus scene gets cut short nice and quickly.

Who knows, maybe this game won't have hotsprings-related idiocy.

lilty

Random question about P4:DAN DLC. I'm still addicted to the game and was wondering if the "music video" tracks were worth purchasing. I have pretty much everything else aside from some of the costume DLC. Thoughts?

Mediking

It's a tiring trend. A misunderstanding happens, and the guys suffer. No apologies were had.

I don't know about you, but I personally believe that there are better ways to relax than making girls uncomfortable by giving them swimsuits to wear for my own amusement. And before someone accuses me again of being a prude with a huge complex: The swimsuits themselves are not the problem, the context is.

Anime is part of Persona's identity, but anime hijinks like this one are certainly the parts of Persona that I dislike the most.

The way the cast relax doesn't hafta be pervy. I just think it would be funny if we did see them playfully fight each other over something dumb like what's a better tv show.

Setsu00

The way the cast relax doesn't hafta be pervy. I just think it would be funny if we did see them playfully fight each other over something dumb like what's a better tv show.

Eh, yes, I agree that this might be funny, but if that's want you want to tell us, why do you post a GIF from the swimsuit incident? I might be overthinking this, but your behavior here and in other threads (especially in the off-topic section) suggests to me that you unironically like these pseudo-erotic anime scenes...

You're painting a rather strange picture of yourself.

Mediking

Eh, yes, I agree that this might be funny, but if that's want you want to tell us, why do you post a GIF from the swimsuit incident? I might be overthinking this, but your behavior here and in other threads (especially in the off-topic section) suggests to me that you unironically like these pseudo-erotic anime scenes...

You're painting a rather strange picture of yourself.

I'm almost always joking around in the off-topic section. Be rest assured. I'm genuine here and I'm REALLY myself in the manga OT (love manga so much). Trust me... you and I are more alike than you think. You can tell when I'm being serious because my tone becomes deadly serious and I'm actually discussing something. Other times? I'm saying something stupid. But I'm stopping that as well.

The Investigation Team being filled with better characters all around made me remember it more fondly than SEES, so I didn't really miss that.

Thinking back to a lot of that interparty drama in P3 just makes me think about things I didn't like about certain characters too. :/
Agreed.
I am 100% certain that Persona 5 will be filled with scenes like this.

*sigh*
We already seen a couple of those scenes.
Expect a lot more of them :p
Honestly I just kind of end up laughing at the stupidity of those scenes.
I'm really looking forward to seeing more goofy and comedic scenes with the cast like with this:
Don't worry I'm sure they will have plenty more of those if the beach and desert scenes are anything to go by.

???? What's wrong...? P4G was filled with serious moments then something very lighthearted happens to relieve the tension. It was like a pattern throughout the entire game.

P5 cast is stealing stuff and don't wanna get caught, right? They also gotta juggle grades and other stuff. They gotta relax somehow.

Unless... that scene is particular truly means something else that I don't know.

Light-hearted scenes to relieve tension are great. Yosuke being a sexist piece of shit by manipulating the girls into wearing swimsuits so he can gawk at them isn't funny at all, it's creepy, and frankly, tiring. That scene certainly doesn't relieve tension for me, which is what it's allegedly supposed to be doing. Plus, the player character is forced to participate and also be a fucking creep, which is REALLY jarring for a game with some obvious self-insertion, with a silent protagonist and all.

And then Yosuke doesn't even learn from it. The guys get dropped in the river, but it's just a shallow revenge event, not a thing that leads anywhere. There's no character development or anything that comes out of it.

It sucks because it's pandering to creepy shit (I find it seriously uncomfortable every time I play through that part), and it sucks from a writing standpoint because it advances nothing and uses a style of "humour" that risks turning off a bunch of the audience. Ideally you'd want your comedic breaks to both be accessible to everybody (otherwise they're not going to be relieving tension) and to serve the larger narrative or character development. That scene does neither.

Edit: Especially the second thing, because I'm not about to pretend that media targeted at a specific audience doesn't exist.

Dantis

Broadly speaking, the lighthearted scenes are fine, especially in vanilla P4. By adding almost exclusively light hearted scenes to Golden, two of which were pervy anime scenes, the ratio becomes skewed. On top of that, every single one of Golden's new scenes cranks the wackiness up to 11. The ski trip is dumb, but fine. The motorbike scene actually genuinely funny. The band scene made me want to throw up though.

I don't think anyone would argue that they need to remove all scenes which feature some levity, but don't go overboard and for goodness sake, make them good. The bus scene? It's shit, straight up. It's out of character (presumably?) and off putting.

I just love every time this discussion crops up.

On a different note I finally watched Winter of Rebirth. It was more memorable than the middle two movies, Midsummer Knight's Dream and Falling down. Animation quality was pretty solid throughout. There were some slight pacing issues, almost expected considering the format. I'd recommend the watch if you finished P3. Overall it was a solid adaptation and things that were added provided more to the story than things that didn't make it into the movie from the game.

Things I liked in particular (SPOILERS!):
  • The importance given to the Rainbow Bridge and the final words of Makoto's mother. His mother's words were the catalyst for finding the answer and deciding not to kill Ryoji, but to fight. The juxtaposition with the earlier scenes where Yukari and Junpei had in their own way confronted death was done well. Yukari slips deeper and deeper into despair and then wonders if she'll see her father when she dies (basically accepting that she will) and is attacked by Io. Makoto considers killing Ryoji, remembers what his mother said, and comes to understand that, like the past ten years, he wouldn't really be living if he did so.
  • The post credit scene with Elizabeth leaving the Velvet Room at the end and one or two nods to the Answer.
  • I know some of you might find it cheesy but the ray of sunshine startling everyone after Makoto finds the answer, again when the find Aigis on the rooftop and resolve to fight, and later on drawing their attention during the graduation ceremony was nice.
  • We got to see more fighting against the shadows and Strega in which SEES used their weapons. That was one thing I didn't like about P4's anime adaptations. Fight animations were on point this time.
  • The final battle with Nyx. All of it. Well most of it. I wish Elizabeth granted me abilities during combat. Thanatos getting Nyx on the ropes and then fusing with Orpheus to form Messiah was awesome.
  • I love when anime uses CG animation to highlight the otherworldliness of a threat like they did with Nyx. Like the various times it was used in Fate/Zero (
    Caster's Eldritch Abomination, the pit Sakura was thrown into, and the grail
    ) it made Nyx more eerie than they probably could have with standard 2D animation due to the stark difference between the two styles. Same goes for the clouds and environment during that battle.
  • SEES received a lot more character development than they did in the game.

I personally found it demeaning and unnecessarily sexualizing of Kanji.

Meh. At least it didn't escalate to the kind of thing that realistically would have lead to the IT members having beef with each other.

There, it just ended on a goofy "lol wtf?! EWWW!" No wading in puke river, no keeping mixed schedules secret, no physical violence, and no "TEEHEE THIS GURL CANT COOK".

Zolo

and no "TEEHEE THIS GURL CANT COOK".

Luckily, I don't really expect this to be repeated since I don't think the writers care to do the joke again (or at least as much as in P4).

With P3, it was just part of Fuuka's social link as part of her development to show she's insecure about her computer hobby since it's not seen as feminine which she gets over by the end of. Yukari and Mitsuru couldn't cook either. It's just not brought up and they don't act like they can.

Sophia

Luckily, I don't really expect this to be repeated since I don't think the writers care to do the joke again (or at least as much as in P4).

With P3, it was just part of Fuuka's social link as part of her development to show she's insecure about her computer hobby since it's not seen as feminine which she gets over by the end of. Yukari and Mitsuru couldn't cook either. It's just not brought up and they don't act like they can.

Yukari can cook. It's a plot point in the drama CD and a footnote in Persona Q that she's actually a pretty good chef, even if she's not as good as Shinjiro.

Zolo

Yukari can cook. It's a plot point in the drama CD and a footnote in Persona Q that she's actually a pretty good chef, even if she's not as good as Shinjiro.

Oh. This was from P3Portable, so I just took it as her not really being able to.

Yukari.jpg

Sophia

Oh. This was from P3Portable, so I just took it as her not really being able to.

She downplays it, but she makes a bento in the drama CD. She also offers to cook lunch in the Rank 7 social link.

Yukari: Alright, then I'll make us lunch!
Yukari: I might not look like it, but I'm a pretty good cook! Just you wait and see!

And in Persona Q,
her food is also ineligible for Mystery Food X, much to Naoto's amusement.

Alternately, they double down on it, and now the entire team can't cook.

"Feed me, Pantom. You're my only hope!"

P10 doesn't exist because the human race has died of starvation after P9 due to not being able to cook. There was much laughter in the Atlus offices.

She does strike me as the kind of girl who doesn't have a lot of faith in her own capabilities.

jzbluz

It's probably not confusing to the Japanese, but I hate how similar the names Yosuke and Yusuke are since I sometimes get them confused.

Rutger

Banned
It's probably not confusing to the Japanese, but I hate how similar the names Yosuke and Yusuke are since I sometimes get them confused.

My problem with Yusuke's name is that I can't help but hear this guy with an orange pompadour yelling YUR-A-MESHY.

Mediking

Light-hearted scenes to relieve tension are great. Yosuke being a sexist piece of shit by manipulating the girls into wearing swimsuits so he can gawk at them isn't funny at all, it's creepy, and frankly, tiring. That scene certainly doesn't relieve tension for me, which is what it's allegedly supposed to be doing. Plus, the player character is forced to participate and also be a fucking creep, which is REALLY jarring for a game with some obvious self-insertion, with a silent protagonist and all.

And then Yosuke doesn't even learn from it. The guys get dropped in the river, but it's just a shallow revenge event, not a thing that leads anywhere. There's no character development or anything that comes out of it.

It sucks because it's pandering to creepy shit (I find it seriously uncomfortable every time I play through that part), and it sucks from a writing standpoint because it advances nothing and uses a style of "humour" that risks turning off a bunch of the audience. Ideally you'd want your comedic breaks to both be accessible to everybody (otherwise they're not going to be relieving tension) and to serve the larger narrative or character development. That scene does neither.

Edit: Especially the second thing, because I'm not about to pretend that media targeted at a specific audience doesn't exist.

Broadly speaking, the lighthearted scenes are fine, especially in vanilla P4. By adding almost exclusively light hearted scenes to Golden, two of which were pervy anime scenes, the ratio becomes skewed. On top of that, every single one of Golden's new scenes cranks the wackiness up to 11. The ski trip is dumb, but fine. The motorbike scene actually genuinely funny. The band scene made me want to throw up though.

I don't think anyone would argue that they need to remove all scenes which feature some levity, but don't go overboard and for goodness sake, make them good. The bus scene? It's shit, straight up. It's out of character (presumably?) and off putting.

OHHHHHH.... Okay, NOW I get it. I understand the situation. Thanks for clarifying. I really did forget what was really going on in that gif.

For the most part, I don't mind the lighthearted silly scenes. Especially not the
band scenes
in Golden.

Sophia-san.... *bows head in respect*

Something I'm wondering about late-game P5 (P3 and P4 endgame spoilers)
Do you think we'll actually be able to play through an entire year, or is it going to skip from Christmas/January/Valentine's Day to March?

I remember someone saying the whole year would be playable, but I can't remember where.

Thoughts?

Do you think we'll actually be able to play through an entire year, or is it going to skip from Christmas/January/Valentine's Day to March?

I remember someone saying the whole year would be playable, but I can't remember where.

Thoughts?
I hope so, those are some of my favorite parts of golden

artsi

Thoughts?

Considering P5 should be bigger and longer than P4, I hope so.

On that note, do you think a P5 remake could be in the cards in the future?
I think its way too early to guess that. I think with the nearly guaranteed better sales of persona 5 than past entries they won't need to bother. A lot of what I feel made especially golden possible was capitalizing on the surge in popularity for the franchise.

With P5 they won't have that to capitalize on. With the amount of prep that this game went about to prepare assets for future games, thats more what I'm expecting. I think a P5-2 ala SMTIV-A is more likely than a P5 enhanced edition. Granted I'm not really figuring that as a high possibility either.

Plus they have DLC now, so they can make more money from P5 that way.

Lunar15

Thoughts?

Well, if you truly want to know:

We've seen anime cutscenes in the winter, with news billboards saying that the phantom thief case has died down. However, this is at the same time where we see a lot of protests. If I had to guess, I'd say this is probably the climax or the ending given that the casino dungeon is in November, and that seems to be near the very end. So, I'd say we likely play fully up until December/January, then it skips.

Well, if you truly want to know:

We've seen anime cutscenes in the winter, with news billboards saying that the phantom thief case has died down. However, this is at the same time where we see a lot of protests. If I had to guess, I'd say this is probably the climax or the ending given that the casino dungeon is in November, and that seems to be near the very end. So, I'd say we likely play fully up until December/January, then it skips.

Hmm...

Then I wonder. If we ever get to play the time skip, will it be in a remake, or an expansion?

Dantis

Considering P5 should be bigger and longer than P4, I hope so.

I don't think P5 will actually be longer than P3 and P4. I think it will contain more 'actual' content, but I think the playtime will be shorter. P3 and P4 are both fucking huge games.

Lunar15

Hmm...

Then I wonder. If we ever get to play the time skip, will it be in a remake, or an expansion?

I would hope that, given how they spent all this time to make this new engine, the team would quickly get to work on Persona 6 or a new type of SMT style game. That said, it doesn't keep the spinoff team from working on a remake, but I doubt you'd see that until the next generation.

I don't think P5 will actually be longer than P3 and P4. I think it will contain more 'actual' content, but I think the playtime will be shorter. P3 and P4 are both fucking huge games.

Playtime could be longer, but that could be purely due to the
Mementos dungeons.
Main content wise, I completely agree with you. Everything we've seen hints that it'll likely be around the same length as P3/4.

Which, I mean, I don't know how anyone could be upset with that.

I think the actual playtime will be shorter thanks to faster battle animations and hopefully (hopefully!) fewer pointless recap scenes. On the other hand, I feel like it'll probably have The Full Year from the beginning, rather than P3 and P4's "And then you skip a couple of months until March" thing.

I think the actual playtime will be shorter thanks to faster battle animations and hopefully (hopefully!) fewer pointless recap scenes. On the other hand, I feel like it'll probably have The Full Year from the beginning, rather than P3 and P4's "And then you skip a couple of months until March" thing.
Hated that in P3.
P4G did it a bit better but it was still kinda shitty
that they just show stills of fun events that could have been in the game before it skips to the last day

Lunar15

I talked about it in an earlier post above, but I think most things point towards having a similar calendar to 3/4.

Also, for those wanting the new commercial, it's up! This time it's Haru.

Dantis

Haru has me curious. What does Noir mean in relation to her character? All the other codenames relate to the characters 'inner strength', but Noir gives me nothing.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone suspect there might be a second opening animation? The current one focuses so heavily on the first five characters and only features the others briefly, and they've said the game is supposed to be kind of episodic, it seems like once you get to a certain point, like you hit season 2, it might have a new one.

Lunar15

Haru has me curious. What does Noir mean in relation to her character? All the other codenames relate to the characters 'inner strength', but Noir gives me nothing.

Any ideas?

All I can get out of it is "mysterious", like a Noir novel. She seems pretty secretive.

Also, does anyone suspect there might be a second opening animation? The current one focuses so heavily on the first five characters and only features the others briefly, and they've said the game is supposed to be kind of episodic, it seems like once you get to a certain point, like you hit season 2, it might have a new one.

Lack of Goro makes me want to agree with you, but I think what actually happened is that they had Production IG make this intro way in advance and they actually had to add the other three characters later.

Top Bottom