• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Moaradin

Junpei x
that one girl who only existed to get killed off so he'd have something to angst over and then grow into a better person because of

Oh yeah.

That was probably my least favorite plot point in the game. It also didn't help that
Chidori
had some really bad voice acting.

Theodoricos

Oh yeah.

That was probably my least favorite plot point in the game. It also didn't help that
Chidori
had some really bad voice acting.

I actually thought it was precisely that whole arc that gave
Junpei
the character development he desperately needed, and made him into something more than just your usual airheaded sidekick. Loved that part of the game, and it's a reason why I probably enjoyed Falling Down most out of the P3 movies.

Moaradin

Junpei
the character development he desperately needed, and made him into something more than just your usual airheaded sidekick. Loved that part of the game, and it's a reason why I probably enjoyed Falling Down most out of the P3 movies.

I didn't think it was terrible and I did like his character development he got out of it. Though the actual relationship felt a bit rushed and her character didn't serve much purpose outside of it.
Though I never did the revival stuff in FES (I missed one day talking to Junpei), so I have no idea if that adds anything to it.
But yeah it's probably mostly her voice acting that made me dislike her scenes lol

Junpei

But that's exactly why it was bad. Chidori wasn't an actual character, but just a plot device used to develop Junpei. Their relationship was badly developed and ultimately meaningless and could've been replaced by anything at all. If you want people to get invested in a relationship, have it serve a purpose beyond just the development of one of the involved characters.

I appreciate Junpei's development, but how they got there really shows how weak P3's writing could get.

Zolo

I'd actually say it helped Chidori too since the relationship helped describe how she didn't care to die since she didn't particularly care about anything in real life which changed over time and gave her a new fear of death out of now having something she didn't want to lose. The former also helps give a glimpse into the mindset of the other Strega members as well. This helps serve the theme of death in the game on how to appreciate life and not simply treat death so lightly.

That said, we don't get as much development with her due to her not being a main character just like Mitsuru gets more development than her dad. It also helps in my case that from the protagonist's PoV, he's uninvolved, so he wouldn't be seeing the relationship at all anyway other than hearing about it from Junpei. I kinda like that since it gives off the impression of things going on that don't involve the protagonist.

that sub plot was one of the few parts of P3's story I truly enjoyed
I enjoyed watching chidori go from cold and distant and ready to die to truly caring about someone. I also liked that for once the joker character gets the girl. too bad they ruin it at the end. At least P3P and P4AU leave it open

Chidori's death
was the one part of the whole thing I thought they did right, since it fit in with the game's theme perfectly.
Her optional revival
was the WORST addition they ever made to P3's re-releases. It completely undermined not only what little there was of her entire character arc, but the theme of the game itself. I also didn't like how they handled it in Ultimax, but I also didn't like anything else Ultimax did.

We already got one in P3 and it was possibly the worst subplot in the game.

I disagree. I found it really touching myself.
Helps that it took the grating bastard Junpei and redeemed him.

Chidori could have been more developed indeed, but hell, most of the relationship was behind the scenes.

Zolo

Speaking of which, I don't think P4 really had any scenes outside of the protagonist aside from maybe the "fog" scenes. I think there may have been a couple, but not nearly as much as P3. It'll be interesting to see how P5 does it.

Chidori's death
was the one part of the whole thing I thought they did right, since it fit in with the game's theme perfectly.
Her optional revival
was the WORST addition they ever made to P3's re-releases. It completely undermined not only what little there was of her entire character arc, but the theme of the game itself. I also didn't like how they handled it in Ultimax, but I also didn't like anything else Ultimax did.

Probably won't surprise many people, but
that revival scene
managed to be the only part of the game to get me misty-eyed.

I'm such a disappointment. ;D

Speaking of which, I don't think P4 really had any scenes outside of the protagonist aside from maybe the "fog" scenes. I think there may have been a couple, but not nearly as much as P3. It'll be interesting to see how P5 does it.

There was the scene where
Yosuke and Chie were spying on Kanji, failing to 'look natural'.
That was some interaction that admittedly got cut short.

Zolo

Oh right. According to Domi Persona, one of the recent screenshots of the targets has the following dialogue:

Shadow Nakanohara - “Actually, you’re right. I should make an end of this relationship…”

Since that was a recent topic.

Oh right. According to Domi Persona, one of the recent screenshots of the targets has the following dialogue:

Shadow Nakanohara - “Actually, you’re right. I should make an end of this relationship…”

Since that was a recent topic.

and:
• Anne - “(reading a request on the phantom thieves’ request channel) My ex-boyfriend became my stalker recently and it troubles me so much.. his name is Kanahiko Nakanohara.”

PK Gaming

We already got one in P3 and it was possibly the worst subplot in the game.

Man, I agree with you on a lot of things, but I completely, completely, completely disagree with you on this one. Junpei's relationship with Chidori was one of the emotional cores of P3. It wasn't a simple case of love redeems, but rather, we were treated to a story of 2 people from opposite factions slowly coming together and temporarily making each other feel better. In a game like P3, where everything is just so focused on the protagonist's world, seeing a story that existed outside of that was great.

At that point where they meet each other, Junpei had basically completely broken off from the group (which is sad by itself) and Chidori obviously was obviously stagnating within Strega. They were a perfect were a perfect match for each other and their relationship was equal parts intriguing, heartwarming, and sad. It also culminated into what is arguably the strongest scene in P3:
Chidori's death & Junpei's resolution aka the thesis of Persona 3 (choosing to live in the face of overwhelming despair. You could easily make the argument that she died in service to Junpei's character development, and I can agree with that to an extent, but that doesn't preclude the relationship and especially Junpei's awakening scene from being absolutely phenomenal.

Also, if you're going to be reductive and describe Chidori being there just for Junpei's man pain, you may as well apply that some sort of logic to literally every character who dies in service to another (hint: P3 has a ton).

It's a shame a lot of the stuff that was in the drama CD didn't make it into the main game because there are some great scenes between the 2 characters.

asagami_

Banned
It's not like the romances with the MC were any better.

Yup. The only romance I like on P3 is
the one with Shinjiro. Gosh I love Female!MC so much ;_;

By the way, I was checking Wikipedia and I discovered the entry of the Persona 2 characters is gone. I don't know what happened :(

Creepy

I probably shouldn't be here as I just started Persona 3 FES this week.
...But this is my first post on this forum so to heck with it, hi everyone *wave*.

I'm a pretty new Persona fan, I finished 4 a few weeks ago and recently Dancing all Night, really enjoyed both.

Seems I picked a good time to get into it with 5 coming soon.

daevious

...But this is my first post on this forum so to heck with it, hi everyone *wave*.

I'm a pretty new Persona fan, I finished 4 a few weeks ago and recently Dancing all Night, really enjoyed both.

Welcome to the community thread A V K. Yes you did pick the best time to get in because the wait for Persona 5 kinda drove a few people batty.

Re: Junpei

I'd say his and Chidori's arc was VERY strong. PK already went over why, but I cannot agree that it was just hamfisted, it changed Junpei and actually gave Chidori a character and some insight on how she felt about death and caring about people. Well, also directly contributing to P3's themes

Re: The Answer and post-game stuff

Keep him dead. Please. I am a fucking huge P3 fanboy and please Atlus KILL HIM ALREADY. Stop toying around with Elizabeth's quest, have her free him from Erebus and just let his soul die in peace already. I'm afraid they're gonna try and bring him back and that's gonna go against why P3's themes are so powerful

Mediking

Welcome to the Velvet Room. :) I'm Mediking and uhhhhhhhh.... hahah you'll start to understand me as time goes on!

hello, welcome! ^^

lupinko

I'm joining the Persona 5 train but which version? It's my first Persona by the way so the price difference between the 20th Anniversary and the regular is about ¥4300.

I'm new to Persona but the art is amazing, I believe it comes with an artbook among other things. Preordering it at sofmap gets me a B2 wall scroll.

But the price is hefty for a game series I'm new to. Yet I'm a sucker for fancy editions.

lilty

I'm joining the Persona 5 train but which version? It's my first Persona by the way so the price difference between the 20th Anniversary and the regular is about ¥4300.

I'm new to Persona but the art is amazing, I believe it comes with an artbook among other things. Preordering it at sofmap gets me a B2 wall scroll.

But the price is hefty for a game series I'm new to. Yet I'm a sucker for fancy editions.

I think it's hard to recommend buying a collector's edition for a series you're not familiar with, but at the same time I missed the P4G Solid Gold edition and it took me until this year to find a copy. If you've got the cash to spare I'd say go for it, since the 20th Anniversary Edition looks really neat. The art book looks quality and having the OST for every mainline game in the series is awesome. The OSTs alone were enough for me to preorder it.

Setsu00

I think it's hard to recommend buying a collector's edition for a series you're not familiar with, but at the same time I missed the P4G Solid Gold edition and it took me until this year to find a copy. If you've got the cash to spare I'd say go for it, since the 20th Anniversary Edition looks really neat. The art book looks quality and having the OST for every mainline game in the series is awesome. The OSTs alone were enough for me to preorder it.

Just as a heads up: The Anniversary Edition does not include the full OSTs, but only arrangements as far as I know.

Just as a heads up: The Anniversary Edition does not include the full OSTs, but only arrangements as far as I know.

I thought it was "best of" selections in addition to some arrangements.

Either way, it's not the full ost, but should at least be more substantial than the usual miniosts.

The artbook is also likely to be not overly substantial, and there will almost certainly be a full one released later. But they've already shown some sample pages, and there's at least some interesting concept art in there.

barybll

Banned
Speaking about P3 subplots.

This is kind of what I missed in P4, the interparty drama and junpei romance made me remember SEES more fondly than IT.

Mind you tho, I still like the hell out of kanji.

This is kind of what I missed in P4, the interparty drama and junpei romance made me remember SEES more fondly than IT.

I mean, the only real subplot involving the IT would be Teddie's search for self-discovery.
Maybe also his kinda creepy friendship with Nanako.

Rutger

Banned

The Investigation Team being filled with better characters all around made me remember it more fondly than SEES, so I didn't really miss that.

Thinking back to a lot of that interparty drama in P3 just makes me think about things I didn't like about certain characters too. :/

Mediking

I'm really looking forward to seeing more goofy and comedic scenes with the cast like with this:
tumblr_mhq717NlZ11r219jqo1_500.gif

PK Gaming

Hey, I wouldn't have a problem if he didn't talk to her with the same tone as "don't fight over me, baby~"

I'm just struggling to wrap my head around how you managed to get "creepy" out of their relationship when

A) Teddie spends the majority of his time with Nanako being super sweet & innocent
B) Teddie has the emotional maturity of a child

lupinko

I thought it was "best of" selections in addition to some arrangements.

Either way, it's not the full ost, but should at least be more substantial than the usual miniosts.

The artbook is also likely to be not overly substantial, and there will almost certainly be a full one released later. But they've already shown some sample pages, and there's at least some interesting concept art in there.

The CDs are just best ofs. Also the 20th Anniversary comes with a lot of DLC. That if I were to buy could be a bit pricey by themselves?

I'll give it some thought before I put down my preorder. And yeah sofmap gives a b2 tapestry.

Mediking

I fucking loathed that scene.

If you're like me, you probably hate all of Mediking's favorite moments in Persona

I am 100% certain that Persona 5 will be filled with scenes like this.

*sigh*

???? What's wrong...? P4G was filled with serious moments then something very lighthearted happens to relieve the tension. It was like a pattern throughout the entire game.

P5 cast is stealing stuff and don't wanna get caught, right? They also gotta juggle grades and other stuff. They gotta relax somehow.

Unless... that scene is particular truly means something else that I don't know.

???? What's wrong...? P4G was filled with serious moments then something very lighthearted happens to relieve the tension. It was like a pattern throughout the entire game.

P5 cast is stealing stuff and don't wanna get caught, right? They also gotta juggle grades and other stuff. They gotta relax somehow.

Unless... that scene is particular truly means something else that I don't know.

It's a tiring trend. A misunderstanding happens, and the guys suffer. No apologies were had.

Yeah, I don't really like stuff like there where it comes from a misunderstanding, but the one in particular that was posted there had nothing to do with a misunderstanding. It was just Yosuke and the protagonist being assholes.

Unless the anime changed that scene from the game(I don't know, never saw it)

That and both choices leading to the same result. That was kind of lame.

It's a tiring trend. A misunderstanding happens, and the guys suffer. No apologies were had.

Yeah, I don't really like stuff like there where it comes from a misunderstanding, but the one in particular that was posted there had nothing to do with a misunderstanding. It was just Yosuke and the protagonist being assholes.

Unless the anime changed that scene from the game(I don't know, never saw it)

Top Bottom