• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

I'll likely take a friday off or something, we'll see.

For the Japanese release, I'm trying to figure out if I want to listen to any impressions or not. Not out of fear of spoilers, but because I might want to avoid any bias going in.

DNAbro

Haven't posted here in a good while, so howdy ya'll!

So what's everyone's plans for P5? I'm putting in for a week off to play through. What about you guys?

If there is some info I still want that to see I'll be on look out for that(like Goro's outfit/persona) and waiting and hoping people upload the soundtrack asap.

U.S release will probably just be focused on that.

Nimby

Banned

So what's everyone's plans for P5? I'm putting in for a week off to play through. What about you guys?

I'll probably be starting a job around then, so my time will be limited.

I'm also avoiding spoilers as of now, until Youtube recommends me that one video that spoils the whole game.

"Persona 5 Playthrough Part 69 - FINAL BOSS IS ANNE TAKAMAKI?!?!?!?"

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member

Going by what a lot of people are doing on the Internet, I'll be in the minority and wait for the NA version. Dodging spoilers will be easy for me.

Now dodging impressions from people who played the game might be another issue.

I'll likely take a friday off or something, we'll see.

For the Japanese release, I'm trying to figure out if I want to listen to any impressions or not. Not out of fear of spoilers, but because I might want to avoid any bias going in.

At Japanese release I'm tuning out of here completely.

Sophia

When you really hope Asia gets an Eng Sub release.

Don't get your hopes up. If I recall, no Atlus release has had English subs there?

Gonna spoil myself on basically everything except specifics regarding boss battles/specific gameplay scenarios. :3

Waiting for the NA version, will probably be pretty busy at the time and will only be able to squeeze in a lot less of the game than I'd like. I also don't have the hardware for it, so hopefully I can get a used PS3 at the time...

HomesIice

Any aussies planning to import a JP copy? First time considering importing a JP game before it's English release and was just looking for some pointers :)
High school Japanese don't fail me now!

cheez124

i'm waiting for the NA release, so i'm gonna be doing my best to avoid spoilers until then (although i'm historically bad at that so yeah). i'm definitely gonna be looking for soundtrack downloads once it releases in japan though, which will hopefully make the wait a little easier..

I'll be waiting for the NA release. I would rather not jump through hoops to understand everything. Mind you, I think Mystic will do an excellent job on the translation guide. However, looking back and forth from a scene to a translation page does not seem appealing in the slightest to me.

Also, I have enough games and series to play/ keep playing, i'm not itching to play P5 and nothing else

Gonna spoil myself on basically everything except specifics regarding boss battles/specific gameplay scenarios. :3

Can't wait for you to start bugging me on how much you want to discuss spoilers once you start watching/ learning about stuff from the JP release :p

artsi

I'll be waiting for the NA release. I would rather not jump through hoops to understand everything. Mind you, I think Mystic will do an excellent job on the translation guide. However, looking back and forth from a scene to a translation page does not seem appealing in the slightest to me.

I doubt that would be done anyway, at least before the official localization is ready, since there's a massive amount of dialogue and text.

Logash

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Persona 5 anime that comes out in a couple weeks will follow the story of the game?

Anime is a single 30 minute episode focusing on a case which occurs in a time frame towards the beginning of the game. It's an original story, but apparently characters from it might show up in the game at some point.

Logash

It's supposed to be original I believe. Sort of like a side quest.
Anime is a single 30 minute episode focusing on a case which occurs in a time frame towards the beginning of the game. It's an original story, but apparently characters from it might show up in the game at some point.

Good, I was hoping for something along these lines. I thought it would be too weird to release an anime for the entire game before the game is even out. Now I am not too worried about watching it.

Mediking

Play on the Easiest Mode available. Might actually never choose "Normal" for my 1st JRPG run of a game ever again. Just don't have the time or patience for long boss fights anymore.

Maybe they're alternating by gender, although it's not really possible for that to continue unless they throw in Goro somehow. but there doesn't really seem to be any pattern to them.

Atlus do put up a hint a few hours before they air, but I think most of the speculation I saw from this week's was Haru rather than Anne.

That was fast. I was hoping for Haru's, though.
Same here :(
We have barely seen anything from Haru.
She is the character I'm the most interested in knowing more about.
So far we only know that her father is the president of a fast food manufacturer and this brief description from her voice actress.
CpwhZdaWIAA4D3K.jpg

Moaradin

Playing through Persona 3 FES right now and I'm about 50 hours in. Really couldn't get into it when I first tried a few years ago since I just finished Persona 4 and the improvements made to the gameplay made it really jarring to go back to this.

But I'm really enjoying it now. Really like the story and characters. The battles are still pretty enjoyable even if I can't control my party members. Haven't had too many moments where the AI does completely stupid stuff. (Outside of Mitsuru constantly doing Marin Karin all the time. Stop that!)

I've tried changing her tactics but then she'll stop using other skills I want her to use
P3 does that a lot.
Even if you change tactics there is still a small chance that it just does whatever it wants.
Sometimes it just refuses to do a skill like Yukari casting Dia when half the party is almost dead while she has Media available.

Lusankya

P3 does that a lot.
Even if you change tactics there is still a small chance that it just does whatever it wants.
Sometimes it just refuses to do a skill like Yukari casting Dia when half the party is almost dead while she has Media available.

She will heal when set to Heal/Support.

A rather lengthy interview with Hashino Katsura was posted by 4gamer. (Japanese)

http://news.line.me/list/oa-4Gamer/...mer&utm_medium=201608222104&utm_campaign=none

I haven't really been keeping up with every bit of news so I'm not sure if there's anything new. They chat about the smartphone apps, the 2chan-style message board, the demon-negotiation system, and the new "Co-Op" system (the evolution of social links) among other things, which I don't recall seeing much about in the past.

That last one in particular seemed pretty neat - apparently the co-op partners are nearly all adults who are still having trouble finding their place in the world, and through their own struggles help the teenage cast understand a bit more about how society works. Meanwhile ranking up with them will not only improve one's persona-summoning abilities, but also afford useful things to the band of thieves, such as receiving improved weaponry when becoming closer to a weapons dealer, or getting inside scoops after getting tight with a journalist.

Again, this is quite possibly old news, but maybe not?

Closing comments from Hashino (somewhat liberally translated)

For long-time fans of the series:
I'm truly sorry for keeping you waiting for so long, but it's finally complete. I know the excessive wait has been excruciating (haha), but I hope that you'll play it and enjoy it as much as ever. I feel that we've put together some extremely enjoyable contents, to say the least.
Also, the story is completely new, but the real-world setting and themes are "adjacent" to the other games, so we've tried to include some small elements that will bring a smirk to your face. Definitely look for and enjoy these parts too.

For newcomers:
I think that everyone living in this modern society has some little bits of something hiding in their hearts, and we've made this game for all of you. If you see something about this game that speaks to you or looks like a good fit, completely aside from being an ATLUS game or part of the Persona series; even just an image from the PV that makes you think "Oh, that looks cool," I hope that you'll give it a try.

Lunar15

That last one in particular seemed pretty neat - apparently the co-op partners are nearly all adults who are still having trouble finding their place in the world, and through their own struggles help the teenage cast understand a bit more about how society works.

You know, I feel like this is a good way to acknowledge that most of the people who played the originals are older while not abandoning the high school framing device that the series is known for.

I definitely feel like this game has an "older" bent to it than the previous games. Of course, it'll still be all the high school antics we know and love, but I definitely feel like while high school is about discovering yourself (P4), discovering how society is and learning to deal with it/change it (P5) is more a theme of adulthood, or coming into adulthood.

Anywho, I know MysticDistance is working on a translation of the full interview that'll go up on Persona Central, so I'm real excited for that!

You know, I feel like this is a good way to acknowledge that most of the people who played the originals are older while not abandoning the high school framing device that the series is known for.

Yeah, another comment along those lines was that while those currently in high school and college will likely find that the main characters' feelings of discontent resonate with their own, those who are older will hopefully think back to when they were that age and feel that drive to change society and make the world a better place again.

cheez124

first time P3FES player here, and i just had a few questions, if anyone could help i'd really appreciate it

1. does the movie festival matter at all? i heard that you get some extra scenes in the epilogue if you go to the movie festival with people, but i'm not sure if it's true.
i went with everyone except ken, lol

2. how feasible would it be to fuse messiah in a first time playthrough? i really want to have the MC's canon ultimate for the endgame, but i wasn't sure if it was something meant more for new game plus players instead

Sophia

first time P3FES player here, and i just had a few questions, if anyone could help i'd really appreciate it

1. does the movie festival matter at all? i heard that you get some extra scenes in the epilogue if you go to the movie festival with people, but i'm not sure if it's true.
i went with everyone except ken, lol

2. how feasible would it be to fuse messiah in a first time playthrough? i really want to have the MC's canon ultimate for the endgame, but i wasn't sure if it was something meant more for new game plus players instead

1. No, it ultimately doesn't matter.

2. Very feasible. Meissah's not some super special Persona or anything.
Fuse Orpheus and Thanatos at level 90 to get it.

Getting to level 90 is the only real obstacle. To be honest, it mostly just depends on if you beat the Reaper and unlock the extra dungeon floors. If you do, getting to level 90 is actually pretty simple. If you don't, you probably won't reach level 90

cheez124

1. No, it ultimately doesn't matter.

2. Very feasible. Meissah's not some super special Persona or anything.
Fuse Orpheus and Thanatos at level 90 to get it.
awesome, thanks.
Getting to level 90 is the only real obstacle. To be honest, it mostly just depends on if you beat the Reaper and unlock the extra dungeon floors. If you do, getting to level 90 is actually pretty simple. If you don't, you probably won't reach level 90
yeah, reaching level 90 seems like the toughest part to me. guess i'm gonna have to take on the reaper then, lucky me. i've still got a long way to go until then, anyways

Ruyji and Anne will be the best buddies at least. Maybe they would be a realy couple if not for the MC.

Makes sense. We had the shinji Akihito friendship, then yukiko and chie and so mixing it up with Anne and ryuji make sense. None of the characters in p5 seem to be specifically close to anyone other than the two mentioned.

She will heal when set to Heal/Support.
I know that.
The problem is when the AI decides to only heal one person instead of the full party.
Massive P3 end game spoilers in the video
Look at this video and go to 14:46, 17:50 and 20:04
Yukari just refuses to use Mediarahan and instead just uses Diarahan even when 2 party members are at half health.
And then suddenly at 22:25 the AI suddenly feels like using Mediarahan.
Even with the tactics menu the AI is still inconsistent and will make odd decisions that can get you killed or forces you to waste a turn healing.
Glad they moved away from that with P4 and allow you to control the actions of your party.

Lunar15

I have one slightly big worry with P5: (Spoilers and Speculation abound):

The other day in some of the translated scans, there was a pic of the Phantom Thieves sitting around a table discussing their next target, which, at least according to the translation, was a domestic abuser. I'm really excited for this game's themes, but there's a definite fear that even the slightest mishandling could potentially make light of a very serious issue. Up until this point, the targets we've seen and heard about are usually greedy people, such as the art teacher or the lottery scam dude. The only one that's somewhat made me worry is the creepy teacher, depending on where they're going with that. But if this game wants to delve into subjects such as domestic abuse, I just really hope there's not some kind of whiplash where we're talking about "stealing" some domestic abuser's heart and then they're all of a sudden some super nice person or something like that. It could completely trivialize a really really serious matter. I have a decent amount of faith, but if the game was going to stumble anywhere, it'd be here.

jzbluz

The other day in some of the translated scans, there was a pic of the Phantom Thieves sitting around a table discussing their next target, which, at least according to the translation, was a domestic abuser. I'm really excited for this game's themes, but there's a definite fear that even the slightest mishandling could potentially make light of a very serious issue. Up until this point, the targets we've seen and heard about are usually greedy people, such as the art teacher or the lottery scam dude. The only one that's somewhat made me worry is the creepy teacher, depending on where they're going with that. But if this game wants to delve into subjects such as domestic abuse, I just really hope there's not some kind of whiplash where we're talking about "stealing" some domestic abuser's heart and then they're all of a sudden some super nice person or something like that. It could completely trivialize a really really serious matter. I have a decent amount of faith, but if the game was going to stumble anywhere, it'd be here.

Doesn't the fortune teller says that Joker got rid of him?

Lusankya

I am pretty sure they don't turn them into nice people but get rid of them.

bluethree

Even with the tactics menu the AI is still inconsistent and will make odd decisions that can get you killed or forces you to waste a turn healing.
Glad they moved away from that with P4 and allow you to control the actions of your party.

Yeah, AI just isn't a good idea for a turn based game...I liked P3 when it came out but there's no way I could go back to it now.

Yeah, AI just isn't a good idea for a turn based game...I liked P3 when it came out but there's no way I could go back to it now.
I absolutely hate how most party based RPGs these days are AI driven. final fantasy, tales, star ocean, xenoblade. WAY too much AI going around. Glad legend of heroes and Persona are around

Top Bottom