• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I get the impression that stealing hearts is to do with reforming, but I don't think it will be as clear cut as "suddenly they're a nice person." At least, there's a screen of Goro condemning their methods.

Yet another P5 feature in Famitsu next week. Wonder what they even have left to talk about. Finally time to reveal Goro's thief form?

Zolo

They seem to leave calling cards and people know about the thieves changing them which raises the poll. At the very least, there sins are made aware of.

DNAbro

I get the impression that stealing hearts is to do with reforming, but I don't think it will be as clear cut as "suddenly they're a nice person." At least, there's a screen of Goro condemning their methods.

Yet another P5 feature in Famitsu next week. Wonder what they even have left to talk about. Finally time to reveal Goro's thief form?

pls

so after P4AU

I do worry about how they will handle treating villains. Adachi and Yu teamup was by far the worst thing in ultimax, while trying to add sympathy to the prick

DNAbro

so after P4AU

I do worry about how they will handle treating villains. Adachi and Yu teamup was by far the worst thing in ultimax, while trying to add sympathy to the prick

I feel like spin-offs aren't a good indicator of how they will handle anything. That's just fanservice.

PK Gaming

Ruyji and Anne will be the best buddies at least. Maybe they would be a real couple if not for the MC.

Their physical chemistry is『 E L E C T R I C 』

It would be the coolest thing in the world if the development between Anne and Ryuji's relationship was a focus in the story. But everyone's gotta revolve around the protagonist so it's impossible since the girls need to be waifuable. Even speaking as someone as who would have probably dated Anne in-game, I would give that up in a heartbeat if it meant Ryuji x Anne being a thing.

jzbluz

We got a new trailer from the Sega stream, mostly stuff we have seen from the demo, but there's a bit more about negotiations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPPZaPiRCI

It would be the coolest thing in the world if the development between Anne and Ryuji's relationship was a focus in the story. But everyone's gotta revolve around the protagonist so it's impossible since the girls need to be waifuable. Even speaking as someone as who would have probably dated Anne in-game, I would give that up in a heartbeat if it meant Ryuji x Anne being a thing.

Same.

Dantis

We got a new trailer from the Sega stream, mostly stuff we have seen from the demo, but there's a bit more about negotiations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPPZaPiRCI
A few things from this vid:

-Just one battle theme confirmed. Seems that PV2 is the battle theme regardless of whether the player gets a pre-emptive strike.
-I belive this is the first time we've heard the post-battle theme?
-Changing music during hold-up is a terrible idea. Completely ruins the flow. Do not like.
-Demon negotiation looks like a complete ball-ache.
The main menu is slick as hell. Very impressed by how snappy it is.

Just one main combat theme, but some of the demo impressions have mentioned others. Apparently the tutorial battle has a new theme.

We heard the post battle theme in similar footage shown during the last event.

Acosta

Guys, I'm suffering with Innocent Sin, it´s driving me crazy.

The combination of labyrinth type dungeons with super-frequent random combat is breaking me. Tartarus is fucking Disneyland compared to this.

And I'm not seeing the awesomeness yet, I went into it because characters and story were supposed to be amazing, but after so many hours I don't see anything that convince me these characters are better developed or inherently better than the cast of P3 and P4. Yes, they have less silly moments and are more on point, but by this point I had fell in love with P3 and P4 cast (except you Ken, fuck you) and i'm not feeling anything like that so far. I know they are fundamentally different games, but I was hoping the cast would gain me by this point given how much praise they usually receive.

I like the part when I can talk with everyone and their different answers, but I'm not hooked yet like I did with the others.

Any words of encouragement? my actual state is
the part with the Order of the Holy Lance, with Nazis coming with Mechas

Dantis

This is an instance of believing people's exaggerations about Persona 2.

They're good games, but the characters aren't a patch on P4.

Word.

Rutger

Banned

The combination of labyrinth type dungeons with super-frequent random combat is breaking me. Tartarus is fucking Disneyland compared to this.

And I'm not seeing the awesomeness yet, I went into it because characters and story were supposed to be amazing, but after so many hours I don't see anything that convince me these characters are better developed or inherently better than the cast of P3 and P4. Yes, they have less silly moments and are more on point, but by this point I had fell in love with P3 and P4 cast (except you Ken, fuck you) and i'm not feeling anything like that so far. I know they are fundamentally different games, but I was hoping the cast would gain me by this point given how much praise they usually receive.

I like the part when I can talk with everyone and their different answers, but I'm not hooked yet like I did with the others.

I ran into a similar problem with P1 and P2. The characters and story wasn't enough to keep playing the bad battle systems. I never finished them.

I kind of want to at least watch the story parts on youtube or something, but I'm in no rush since they're so separate from the modern series.

Well, I guess these aren't words of encouragement, haha.

-Just one battle theme confirmed. Seems that PV2 is the battle theme regardless of whether the player gets a pre-emptive strike.
-Changing music during hold-up is a terrible idea. Completely ruins the flow. Do not like.
Agreed, it is really jarring.

Switching the music in holdups reminds me of what SMTIV did, but in reverse: the music started sort of uncertain and would switch to exciting if you chose to battle rather than negotiate, flee, etc. Here, you're assumed to battle and the music calms if you negotiate instead. It worked well in SMT because it gave that extra little bit of agency to the player to raise the stakes if they wanted to. I'm not sure if it works as well in reverse by trying to calm after an explosive start.

asagami_

Banned

You are probably overleveled, so...

Fusion a Persona who have Estoma.
Raise it to get the skill.
Spam it a hell and enjoy the walk, because from here you will only fight the mandatory battles.

Rutger

Banned
You are probably overleveled, so...

Fusion a Persona who have Estoma.
Raise it to get the skill.
Spam it a hell and enjoy the walk, because from here you will only fight the mandatory battles.

In retrospect I should have looked for that skill.
I didn't bother with making new Personas often since it was so tedious and pointless as far as I reached in P2.

Maybe I should try again...

PK Gaming

Did you check out my Persona 2 starter pack?

The gameplay is exceptionally bad, so I don't blame you for feeling fatigued. On the other hand, you're at the point where the story starts to pick up, so maybe just bear with it for a little longer.

barybll

Banned

Innocent sin gameplay is the worst of all persona games.
Eternal Punishment is not that better either

I suggest playing it with cheats

asagami_

Banned

Wa? o____O

P2 gameplay is not as bad as vanilla P1, that have the worst gameplay in the series. Thank god the PSP version revamped a bit the map and town navigation and the speed of the battles. Not a funny game to actual standards, but enough to continue.

Eternal Punishment is not that better either

I suggest playing it with cheats
I don't think you really need cheats.
Innocent sin is really easy.
If you have your prime/ultimate Persona's you can pretty much blow through anything the game trows at you. The only real difficult part in the PSX version of the game was the final boss which they nerfed pretty bad in the PSP version.
I respect Eternal Punishment more because it at least was somewhat of a challenge and you actually had to fuse/get new Persona's to get through some of the battles.
In the IS remake I almost never fused Persona's and honestly you don't really need to.
It was really weird how I could just ignore the velvet room 95% of the time in P2 IS while in the other games you pretty much need it to get Persona's that are strong enough to advance the story.

SAAAAAAAAAME. Give us a canon coupling that isn't about the protag, Atlus. ;-;

I personally fucking love the Hold Up music. It gives this tense feeling of "Want to wreck shit with me and my crew?" to me. I love it (although starting it with a liiitle bit more of a bang would have been even better- I do think it interrupts the flow for a very short moment).

More worried about having only one battle theme- even Mass Destruction wears thin after a while.

Lunar15

Yeah, I think it's just one battle theme, and the other one we've been hearing is the one that plays during battles in the prologue. Post battle music fits the theme, but it's nowhere near as good as Period, which is probably the best post-battle music ever.

As for the hold-up music, I'm not really seeing a huge issue... yet. We'll see how it goes. Same for the actual negotiation mechanic, hopefully it's not too much of a pain.

Lusankya

I think it's much, much more likely that it nakes them nice.

So, you think after they finish the first dungeon (very mild spoilers)
the teacher will just be a nice guy and they go to his class and hang around with him? Anne being happy that he finally realized what he did was wrong and now they're laughing together about how he tried to take advantage of her and stuff? Yeah, seems unlikely to me. I think he will get what he deserves, some sort of punishment (not death necessarily, of course).

bluethree

I LOVE EP and IS, but that's because I started with those. EP has better, more challenging gameplay, and IS has the more interesting story (a lot of EP's plot points are too similar, granted that is by design but still). I replayed IS through the PSP version a few years ago, and it still mostly holds up though it's clearly a product of its time.

So, you think after they finish the first dungeon (very mild spoilers)
the teacher will just be a nice guy and they go to his class and hang around with him? Anne being happy that he finally realized what he did was wrong and now they're laughing together about how he tried to take advantage of her and stuff? Yeah, seems unlikely to me. I think he will get what he deserves, some sort of punishment (not death necessarily, of course).

Rather than the crazy idea of them becoming all buddy buddy, a more likely idea is that the targets turn themselves in.

Moaradin

Some random P3 thoughts:

Holy shit why is the 5th block in Tartarus like 50 floors? I finished November only to find out I don't get any new blocks to level in for December. I don't know if I'm gonna be screwed if I don't go into Tartarus in December since there was no battle during the last full moon.

That's probably the biggest improvement P4 had over P3 for me. The dungeon variety was a huge help. Hopefully P5 continues that trend and improves it even more.

Setsu00

Rather than the crazy idea of them becoming all buddy buddy, a more likely idea is that the targets turn themselves in.

Unless the Japanese police has a problem with criminals turning themselves in, I doubt that this is the case. Do you guys still remember the train conductor from the first PV? The one with the white eyes? Maybe that's what happens when you still someone's heart. You put them into an Apathy Syndrome-esque status.

Also, I'm calling it now: Next week's Famitsu article will cover the DLC schedule. I don't want DLC, but it's bound to happen and they have to announce it eventually, so why not now?

barybll

Banned
Unless the Japanese police has a problem with criminals turning themselves in, I doubt that this is the case. Do you guys still remember the train conductor from the first PV? The one with the white eyes? Maybe that's what happens when you still someone's heart. You put them into an Apathy Syndrome-esque status.

Also, I'm calling it now: Next week's Famitsu article will cover the DLC schedule. I don't want DLC, but it's bound to happen and they have to announce it eventually, so why not now?

Atleast japanese DLC tend to be minor stuff like clothes and weapons rather than separate content

Setsu00

Atleast japanese DLC tend to be minor stuff like clothes and weapons rather than separate content

SMT4 and SMT4A offered additional story missions and boss fights. Mementos is also the perfect tool to add more stuff to the game without breaking the calendar system. The only reason why I am slightly hopeful that they don't overdo it with the DLC is that P4U2 is the only game so far in the series that locked story content behind a paywall.

jzbluz

I hated how I couldn't complete the compendium in SMTIV without buying DLC. I mean, I couldn't complete it anyway because a lot of the fusions were either tedious or left to luck, but still, I don't appreciate having to buy the archangels when 1)they have always been found in-game and 2)they're part of the main story. I don't really mind story DLC though as long as it's not super important. Or if they decide to somehow have a FeMC as a DLC expansion.

Maybe they'd find it suspicious, before the Phantom Thieves take credit for these changes of heart and then the police take issue with what's essentially brainwashing.

Moaradin

Just beat P3. Knew about a part of the ending for years now, but it still ended up being pretty effective. Really great game.

Is it worth playing The Answer or should I just youtube it?

Zolo

Just beat P3. Knew about a part of the ending for years now, but it still ended up being pretty effective. Really great game.

Only if you enjoyed the combat in the game. 'Answer' is pretty much 90% combat.

I initially tried going straight into The Answer and hated it because it's so different from P3. A few months later when I was back in the mood for Persona, I went back and enjoyed it.

It's worth it if you're in the right mood for it and you like--how do I describe this--"gameplay heavy" dungeon crawlers. Somewhat grindy, not a lot of story. Basically if you're in the mood to do a dungeon run. Otherwise, just look up the story videos.

Mediking

image.php

SPOILERSSSSSSSSS....
I much rather live in a ignorant fantasy land where Minato manages to survive. ;_; Man, I love P3 FES so much... uh-oh!!! I better stop before I go in full speech mode! Hahah.

artsi

3 weeks until release, yaayyy.

I don't actually even read any Famitsu stuff anymore, I'm content with waiting now.

daevious

image.php

SPOILERSSSSSSSSS....
I much rather live in a ignorant fantasy land where Minato manages to survive. ;_; Man, I love P3 FES so much... uh-oh!!! I better stop before I go in full speech mode! Hahah.

Your reasons for not playing the Answer are literally the entire plot of the Answer. You can't keep running away from it Mediking. You need to reach out to the truth and come to terms with it.

It's what Minato/Makoto would've wanted.

Your reasons for not playing the Answer are literally the entire plot of the Answer. You can't keep running away from it Mediking. You need to reach out to the truth and come to terms with it.

Agreed.
It doesn't mean you can't still hope for a happier future, like me.

ps. don't speak for the dead.

Mediking

It's what Minato/Makoto would've wanted.

Daevious... I.... I tried to start the Answer.... I... okay. I'll try it again.

asagami_

Banned
I like The Answer.
Even if the characters acts like idiots, the flashbacks are soo good. I like how they return to the symbology of Shadows and Personas too, because something it bother me (in retrospective, because Persona 3 was my first Megaten) from P3 is how the Shadows are only enemies to defeat and no more.

And it was a fun dungeon crawler, but it's obvious P3 battle + Persona system was not designed to be a pure dungeon crawler game lol

Edit: I did 35 hours on The Answer. It was more of less the half of the time I did on The Journey. So yes, it's mostly pure gameplay.

Top Bottom