• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
This picture never gets old. Never.

When you think about it, that would kill any big P2 cameos in future Personas wouldn't it? Since if they can't remember any of the events they wouldn't be able to use their Personas no?

It seems like out of all the Persona games the P2 cast gets the shortest end of the stick out of all of them.

The P2IS crew don't remember, the P2EP crew aside from one all remember and are alive and well.

LuchaShaq

Banned
What 30+ year old dies in P3 and 4 besides Ikutsuki, Mitsuru's dad, and King Moron? Three people that deserved their deaths.

Miss Yamano.

Namatame - in the hospital.

Miss Kashiwagi - A mentally broken desperate woman.

Egypt teacher - Mentally ill

Puppet teacher - same

other bitter divorced teacher - a god damn mess

Dojima - A booze hound obsessed with his dead wife, and way worse off if you get the bad ending where his only daughter dies permanently.

Yukiko's mom - So overworked that she faints at work and needs her daughter to pick up the slack.

Kanji's mom - Her husband is dead, and her son is in constant trouble

Yumi's mom - Married to a dying scumbag

Eri (young mother/temperance social link) - Married to a guy who kept his kid hidden and uses her like a fucking Nanny. She has no life or ambition beyond taking care of that shitty brat who isn't even her blood.

Daidara - Look at that dudes face! He's seen some shit!

Shop Lady - Probably diabetes from being so fat.

Liqour store parents - Dead daughter, annoying emo son.

Persona 3

The male swimming stars parents are a fuck up.

Mitsuros mom is a widow

Yukari's mom is a widow

The bookstore elderly people had their son die at a young age.

Esura

Banned
Ah. So only the IS peeps get messed over?

Do Maya get one of the brothers at least?

Nothing?

The other side Tatsuya Suou goes back to the other side. this side's Tatsuya does not remember. Maya separates herself from the Suous in order to safe guard against Tatsuya ever remembering.

Esura

Banned
The other side Tatsuya Suou goes back to the other side. this side's Tatsuya does not remember. Maya separates herself from the Suous in order to safe guard against Tatsuya ever remembering.

Wow...that sucks. Probably even more depressing watching it.

So Other Side Tatsuya just going to let himself lose his memories this time?

Wow...that sucks. Probably even more depressing watching it.

So Other Side Tatsuya just going to let himself lose his memories this time?

It's worse, Other Side Tatsuya still exists remembering everything while trapped in the destroyed world stuck on the floating Sumaru/Xibalba with the few people still on that side or alone. This Side Tatsuya forgets everything, but begins bonding with Katsuya and his life improves.

Sophia

On an unrelated note, I started a new save on Persona 3 FES in emulator. :3

Also holy shit Nich at the Fog report thing. That's awesome. O_O

No, that's Aigis.

A lot of people love Aigis. She is so adorable.

Man, I wish I could find that Aigis and Chie chibi brofist pic from that other thread...

Hating on Aigis is just wrong.

What 30+ year old dies in P3 and 4 besides Ikutsuki, Mitsuru's dad, and King Moron? Three people that deserved their deaths.

How did Takeharu (Mitsuru's father) deserve his death? He was trying to help clean up after the Kirijo group's sins.

Sophia

I refuse to believe that Persona x Detective Naoto is canon, if only because because I find it implausible that Naoto grew her hair as long as mine in a mere year. >_>

Sophia

Not to mention it is fan servicey beyond belief.

That, and Touko Aoi is a blatent ripoff of Kara no Kyoukai. And Genesis doesn't fit with any of the previous explanations of the Anti Shadow Weapons, and his name doesn't fit the naming pattern anyhow. And... yeah. That novel kinda sucks o_o

I refuse to believe she stopped dressing like a man. Bitter tears for shed for the loss of a LGBT character in a videogame -_-

But the fact that Catherine had an unapologetically trans woman makes me incredibly happy.

Neogaf member and pocaster extrordinaire summed it up in a slightly bummer way
shidoshi said:
We discussed this topic on an episode of WAHP. The problem (if you see it as a problem, I do) is that Japan—and this is going to be a horribly simplified explanation—is totally okay with a lot of "alternative" lifestyles of passions so long as they're (a) a hobby, and not your way of life, (b) something you grow out of, or (c) done for entertainment.

Part of me likes to believe that Atlus wanted to give Kanji that personal aspect, but didn't confirm that part of him out of fear that some fans wouldn't accept it. Unfortunately, I also think—possibly more so—that Atlus included that whole storyline to spice up the story a little, knowing that he'd end up "normal" by the end of the game. They pull the exact same thing with Naoto—she presents the player with huge amounts of reasons to believe that she might be trans, but then by the end she's grown out of those feelings and is ready to become a "normal" woman.

It's frustrating, because on the one hand, I think if any team could handle these kinds of topics in a worthwhile way, it's the Persona team. (And Catherine makes some strides in proving that, but then also kind of doesn't.) On the other, I think a lot of the acceptance that Japan seems to have for LGBT topics is false, and I think sometimes their understand of how to handle such topics ends up far worse than the West.

It's also the ambiguity problem. "Let the fans decide" is a BS cop-out, and it's frustrating. Capcom frustrates me more in that regard, but Atlus does too. With topics like this that still aren't handled with any decency most of the time in gaming, either decide you're going to take a chance with a certain type of character, or don't tease the topic. The wishy-washy "are or aren't they" just makes things worse IMHO.

Labrys > Genesis looks rather cool but is probably non canon thankfully > Aigis > Metis

Everything > Metis

I think her look itself except for the giant boobs is cool, impossibly short hair growth time aside, but all those fanservice pics and the story itself just seem wrong.

Creepy, dumb, and further proof P4 was a delicate house of cards that just any anime trope slave with access to an editor should not be allowed to touch.

I refuse to believe she stopped dressing like a man. Bitter tears for shed for the loss of a LGBT character in a videogame -_-

But the fact that Catherine had an unapologetically trans woman makes me incredibly happy.

Jun: *facepalm*

Dantis

That, and Touko Aoi is a blatent ripoff of Kara no Kyoukai.

I have no idea what this means. :S

So, I'm on P4G atm, and one thing I'd like to see in P5 is a more coherent main plot. P4's doesn't really make all that much sense as far as the fog and everything go...

Taruranto

Igor lost his old friends and is stuck in purgatory with a trio of insufferable siblings and some chick who got dressed in the dark.

They were so cool. :(

KLQvL.png

Sophia

I have no idea what this means. :S

So, I'm on P4G atm, and one thing I'd like to see in P5 is a more coherent main plot. P4's doesn't really make all that much sense as far as the fog and everything go...

Her character is pretty much a ripoff of Touko Aozaki from the novel series Kara no Kyoukai. Right down to the same hair style and face. I'd go as far to say it's almost plagiarism.

Esura

Banned
It's worse, Other Side Tatsuya still exists remembering everything while trapped in the destroyed world stuck on the floating Sumaru/Xibalba with the few people still on that side or alone. This Side Tatsuya forgets everything, but begins bonding with Katsuya and his life improves.

Wow that's fucked up.

I've yet to see an ending so depressing since Nier.

Hating on Aigis is just wrong.
Aigis is awesome. I have a weakness for androids.

How did Takeharu (Mitsuru's father) deserve his death? He was trying to help clean up after the Kirijo group's sins.

I liked him actually, but he was a needed sacrifice to man up Mitsuru. For a leader she sure didn't really lead. Felt like Minato did everything after awhile.

Igor lost his old friends and is stuck in purgatory with a trio of insufferable siblings and some chick who got dressed in the dark.

Some chick who got dressed in the dark?

Wow that's fucked up.

I've yet to see an ending so depressing since Nier.

Aigis is awesome. I have a weakness for androids.

I liked him actually, but he was a needed sacrifice to man up Mitsuru.

Some chick who got dressed in the dark?

It is bitter sweet, everyone except Other Side Tatsuya has a better fate than they got at the end of Innocent Sin, but most of them don't get the supreme happy ending you would have wanted for those characters really. The Persona 1 crew continue to get off scot free even in this game, they almost all meet at a bar at the end and the pierced ear mc himself even makes an off screen entrance to the bar at the last second.

Ummmm atlus made a main character and main villain of persona 2 gay. They are also a cannon couple. You must only taking about transgendered. Naoto never struck me as a true transgender person.

Trigger

Ummmm atlus made a main character and main villain of persona 2 gay. They are also a cannon couple. You must only taking about transgendered. Naoto never struck me as a true transgender person.

Naoto's not transgendered at all. She just wanted to be respected as a detective. IMO, there aren't any real LGBT characters in the game so much as the community was quick to latch on to some of the cast.

Esura

Banned
It is bitter sweet, everyone except Other Side Tatsuya has a better fate than they got at the end of Innocent Sin, but most of them don't get the supreme happy ending you would have wanted for those characters really. The Persona 1 crew continue to get off scot free even in this game, they almost all meet at a bar at the end and the pierced ear mc himself even makes an off screen entrance to the bar at the last second.

Even the P1 MC makes an appearance? Wow, that's pretty cool.

Well I guess its not too bad. Other Side Tatsuya is irrelevant when you got current side Tatsuya alive I guess.

well second main villain. Still doesn't change the fact jun and tetsuya were gay and a cannon couple. Both were very important characters.

Tatsuya is gay? What? I'm pretty sure he got the hots for Maya. Poor Lisa.

^He does not make an appearance at all. He shows up and the characters can see him and greet him, for us, he is just off screen with no portrait. You do get a cameo of sorts in the main game itself and he has a portrait, but its not actually the MC, but someone using his guise. Tatsuya is most likely bisexual. The player themselves gets to choose who Tatsuya likes in Innocent Sin, but Eternal Punishment semipairs him with Maya. One of the higher ups, don't remember if it was Kaneko or Tadashi, stated that their favorite couple for Tatsuya was Jun.

well second main villain. Still doesn't change the fact jun and tetsuya were gay and a cannon couple. Both were very important characters.

It is never stated as canon anywhere, but Kaneko or was it Satomi Tadashi said that he liked Tatsuya and jun the most, and that's almost like word of god hah.

I do genuinely feel that between Hashino's version of Kanji, Naoto (without her epilogue resolution) and then Erica, that he was pretty proactive in including characters with LGBT issues in his game in a respectful light.

It just bums me out when I see the P4 animation of Yu saying homophobic things to Kanji, or the epilogue of P4 Golden removing the trans element of Naoto.

Esura

Banned
Tatsuya and Jun though? Seriously? Wouldn't of thought of that pairing the first time I played Innocent Sin on PSP considering how they seem to push Tatsuya and Maya so hard.

Tatsuya and Jun? Seriously? Wouldn't of thought of that pairing the first time I played Innocent Sin on PSP considering how they seem to push Tatsuya and Maya so hard.

They push all 3 really

@meltingparappa: I can understand the anime part because that was rather odd, uncharacteristic even. In the episode before, Yu states that he likes his...cute thing whatever it was, and that everyone has their own things and completely accepts him. In the episode after, they basically suffer Yu's characterization for the sake of comedy. The game Yu is depicted as just chillin there oblivious to Yosuke and Kanji's arguing. The Naoto thing, I dunno, I just don't see a trans element.

Esura

Banned
They push all 3 really

Man, I got to play it again one of these days. They really do shit on Lisa though. :(

I didn't know Naoto was considered transgendered. Didn't she only dress up as a dude because she wanted respect from other people in the detective field?

Sophia

Naoto isn't trans though?
Man, I got to play it again one of these days. They really do shit on Lisa though. :(

I didn't know Naoto was considered transgendered. Didn't she only dress up as a dude because she wanted respect from other people in the detective field?

Right. Naoto wasn't ever intended to be transgendered. She's sexually confused, but that has to do with her tomboy behavior and the profession she's in. People seeing her as transgendered, or thinking it was some weird statement about Japan and sexuality, are ignoring what was said and seeing what they want to see.

Tatsuya and Jun though? Seriously? Wouldn't of thought of that pairing the first time I played Innocent Sin on PSP considering how they seem to push Tatsuya and Maya so hard.

There's actually a conversation that outright implies that Maya's relationship with Tatsuya is fairly Big Sister/Little Brother like, and not terribly romantic.

Right. Naoto wasn't ever intended to be transgendered. She's sexually confused, but that has to do with her tomboy behavior and the profession she's in.

There's actually a conversation that outright implies that Maya's relationship with Tatsuya is fairly Big Sister/Little Brother like, and not terribly romantic.

Yes, that's how it goes in Innocent Sin. Things are a bit different in Eternal Punishment.

This is what I got out of it.

It was explicitly stated as such by her.

There's also the age, ego, and intelligence issue. Having someone so young show up/argue with 20 year veterans of the force in public was a repeated event with Naoto. Always the youngest, always the smartest.

Then on top of that, is the gender inequality/perceptions in Japan.

She's a rather fascinating character and is the subject of alot of "Three blind men and the elephant" focus for whatever reasons.

Taruranto

Iirc, the interviews back then pretty much stated that "it's up to the player to decide" or something along those lines. This was for both IS and EP (where the player is essentially Maya).

Personally, the only one that makes little sense to me is Tatsuya/Lisa, they have little romantic chemistry and he ignores her for all the game, can't really see him taking a sudden interest in her. Personality-wise, Jun and Tatsuya are the ones that makes the most sense to me, i always saw his relationship with Maya as brotherly. (He even calls her Maya Onee-chan in the Japanese version of EP, iirc.)

I also rather like Maya and Katsuya together, they have a far better chemistry.

Iirc, the interviews back then pretty much stated that "it's up to the player to decide" or something along those lines. This was for both IS and EP (where the player is essentially Maya).

Personally, the only one that makes little sense to me is Tatsuya/Lisa, they have little romantic chemistry and he ignores her for all the game, can't really see him taking a sudden interest in her. Personality-wise, Jun and Tatsuya are the ones that makes the most sense to me, i always saw his relationship with Maya as brotherly. (He even calls her Maya Onee-chan in the Japanese version of EP, iirc.)

I also rather like Maya and Katsuya together, they have a far better chemistry.

True, I like Maya and Katsuya as well, a shame about the whole distance herself from the Suou's thing. Is it actually better off that way? Shes kind of screwed either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom