• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2013 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| A New Hope

spwolf

Overall the feel of the game is pretty damn good, the shooting, passing and so on all at the very least feels as good as Fifa and I would say shots on goal feels better, but just so many things still lacking that I can't really recommend it over Fifa.

Just like average PES player turns on Fifa and then after 5 minutes turns it off :)

My full game is coming on Monday, but demo 2 was loads of fun... best PES to date for sure.

ibu

Is there a typo on OP, or is there no VITA version?

No Vita version this year... I know.

Opinions on the game.

Definitely has changed from demo 2. For the better? Not sure yet.
There definitely is boosting the computer and some random erratic moments when your players seem to just switch off, or not switch at all.
The through ball is the best it has been for a while and there have been moments when I have managed to pull off 40-45 yard through balls that sear through a defence (a la Paul Scholes) to wondrous effect.

But I do like the difficulty. I will be routinely beating the computer within a week however.

Online seems to be much improved with nowhere as much lag (if any for those with good connections) as previous efforts, I am working in the Middle East at the moment and my current provider has stupidly high ping/latency so that borks it for me... for now.

Other than that, I like the game and I look forward to the update in October and the fully finished Daymos OF for the game.

Nyx

whats wrong with master league?

He probably means that you now can buy all kinds of gear that boosts your players.
Special boots for more speed, energy drinks for more stamina etc.

There definitely is boosting the computer and some random erratic moments when your players seem to just switch off, or not switch at all.

Are you playing on Superstar difficulty ?
If so, turn it down a notch, it helps. (less CPU boosting, if even)

ibu

Are you playing on Superstar difficulty ?
If so, turn it down a notch, it helps. (less CPU boosting, if even)

Always highest level, though some swear by the lower difficulty. It's how I always bed into the game these days.

The computer AI is not a problem, but their AI compared to that of my supposed team often baffles. I am used to this with PES, but it seemed less pronounced in demo 2.

Minor gripe really, but sometimes a minor gripe becomes a major one when injustice happens.
Should just be a better loser I suppose.

However, I'll give your suggestion a try and see how I fair with it. Cheers

Thrakier

Always highest level, though some swear by the lower difficulty. It's how I always bed into the game these days.

The computer AI is not a problem, but their AI compared to that of my supposed team often baffles. I am used to this with PES, but it seemed less pronounced in demo 2.

Minor gripe really, but sometimes a minor gripe becomes a major one when injustice happens.
Should just be a better loser I suppose.

However, I'll give your suggestion a try and see how I fair with it. Cheers

I do agree. Playing on Superstar as well and the boosting sometimes is hilarious. From one second to another it feels that I'm playing vs Barcelona and not some 2nd division Bundesligist. It's a bad joke just as in 2012 and the very reason why I stopped playing.

Also there are still many awkard moments, like you described them already. Players just stop to move, after a through ball the forward slows down in movement instead of sprinting to the ball for whatever reason, the goalies still have complete blackouts...meh, to be honest I don't notice any difference compared to 2012. If you would just give me both games in a blind study, I couldn't say which is which. OK, besides that manual pass thing which I don't use.

Nyx

Also there are still many awkard moments, like you described them already. Players just stop to move, after a through ball the forward slows down in movement instead of sprinting to the ball for whatever reason, the goalies still have complete blackouts...meh, to be honest I don't notice any difference compared to 2012. If you would just give me both games in a blind study, I couldn't say which is which. OK, besides that manual pass thing which I don't use.

Even with the awkward moments it's very clear to me that this isn't 2012.

I've played 2012 on Thursday, 2013 in the weekend, and there's really a lot of difference in passing, shooting, and the AI of players to name a few.

It's not the perfect footballgame or something, but definitely the best PES in years.

Socreges

Banned
It’s no longer a case of living with the slight, niggling issues with the gameplay, animations and fluidity of it all so that you have the astonishing depth of the Master League mode.
Is there a way to read this sentence so that it makes sense?

Happy to hear the positive impressions. Will have to check it out

PaulLFC

Aren't those Master League boost items optional? I've only played a couple of matches of ML so far, but I had to actually equip a player with the boots I got, so surely you could just not equip any of the items and then it would be like a normal Master League?

rvy

Banned
Aren't those Master League boost items optional? I've only played a couple of matches of ML so far, but I had to actually equip a player with the boots I got, so surely you could just not equip any of the items and then it would be like a normal Master League?

Sure, you can choose not to use them. The CPU will though. Will wait for the update next month, but I'm not enjoying this. 2nd demo felt better.

Thrakier

So who in here is NOT playing on superstar? Does it really help with the cheating AI to go back to Top Player? I always play PES on the highest difficulty. :(

Nyx

So who in here is NOT playing on superstar? Does it really help with the cheating AI to go back to Top Player? I always play PES on the highest difficulty. :(

Me, I'm playing on Top Player, and it really helps.
The AI cheats less for sure.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
here we go the patch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb_y0AT33J4&feature=player_embedded#!

Compatibile con il primo DLC [Novità!]
Inserite le divise per tutte le squadre della Premier League [Novità!]
Inserite tutte le divise per le squadre della Liga Zon Sagres (Prima divisione portoghese) [Novità!]
Rinominati tutti i giocatori delle nazionali africane fake [Novità!]
Rinominati tutti i giocatori delle nazionali americane fake [Novità!]
Rinominati tutti i giocatori delle nazionali asia/oceania fake [Novità!]
Rinominati tutti i giocatori classici (sia quelli delle nazionali che quelli svincolati)
Rinominati tutti i giocatori delle nazionali europee fake
Rinominate tutte le competizioni
Inseriti i loghi ufficiali a tutte le competizioni presenti nel gioco
Inseriti i loghi ufficiali a tutte le squadre della Premier League
Inseriti i loghi ufficiali a tutte le squadre della Liga ZON Sagres (1a divisione portoghese)

Cigol

Sure, you can choose not to use them. The CPU will though. Will wait for the update next month, but I'm not enjoying this. 2nd demo felt better.
I never played the demo but I've always found PES to play differently game to game due to the way it is biased each match. It could be the demo was set in stone where the full game is obviously not. Either way I think it's a notable improvement over previous efforts, but there's obviously a lot of negatives to go alongside that which tempers my enthusiasm.

I personally can't play either PES or FIFA and come away satisfied anymore. There's just so many nagging issues. Roll on next generation or hopefully some kickstarter for a new contender willing to either head down the full on simulation road or even a proper arcade game.

rvy

Banned
It blows my mind how Konami has consistently put out final games that are worse than their demos. It's amazing. Consistently.

zkylon

zkylewd
Played this with friends the other day, it's pretty decent, though we barely even care as long as it's new.

Man Blue for life :D

aganu

Had an epic Portugal v England friendly at Wembley that ended 2-2. This game captures the unpredictability of real football perfectly. You go into a match and can never tell how everything will unfold; will there be goals? Who will score? How are they going to score? I love PES 2013.

spwolf

Even with the awkward moments it's very clear to me that this isn't 2012.

I've played 2012 on Thursday, 2013 in the weekend, and there's really a lot of difference in passing, shooting, and the AI of players to name a few.

It's not the perfect footballgame or something, but definitely the best PES in years.

game is fine, best pes for sure... I played 1vs1 online and it was good... then played Be a Legend, and it is improved a lot, due to better team ai.

Thrakier

AI in this game is still horrible. There is so much wrong how players move, it looks so unnatural often. It doesn't look anything like a real socer match.

spwolf

AI in this game is still horrible. There is so much wrong how players move, it looks so unnatural often. It doesn't look anything like a real socer match.

give us a break and dont play it.

I just played game Real vs Motherwell and I easily beat them on superstar, they couldnt move at all... I freaking dont understand wtf are some of you guys something writing... few post above, you made me think that they will fly over me at superstar (which didnt happen in demo and doesnt happen in final version).

Reading what you and rvy post, you would think the game is horrible mess, while it is easily the best PES release ever.

It is also easily the best football AI. There is no other game with this nice attacking ai where they follow you into attack naturally and make runs all the time.

rvy

Banned

I just played game Real vs Motherwell and I easily beat them on superstar, they couldnt move at all... I freaking dont understand wtf are some of you guys something writing... few post above, you made me think that they will fly over me at superstar (which didnt happen in demo and doesnt happen in final version).

Reading what you and rvy post, you would think the game is horrible mess, while it is easily the best PES release ever.

It is also easily the best football AI. There is no other game with this nice attacking ai where they follow you into attack naturally and make runs all the time.

Yeah, because saying that the final version is worse than the 2nd demo is saying that the game is terrible. Give me a break instead.

rvy

Banned
You should settle this on the pitch guys! ;)

ix3tLW5B89cb6.gif

Hopefully not.

Thrakier

You are wrong on several things. The game sometimes works, yes, and when it works, it's good. However it's definitly NOT all the time, it more feels like a merely 50%. I only played like 20 matches and in almost every game I had the situaton that my player would slow down right before the ball (first sprinting, than slowing down) for whatever reason. There were many situations in the defense were just hilarious. I catched at least five goals where the player stood around the 16m line and went through 3-4 defensive players from me as he were fucking yeboah, okocha and gaudino in one person.

Also playing one match with Real vs. some unknown sucky club is probably not the best way to judge this game, isn't it. It may be that this is indeed the best PES ever, but over the years the problems this game has became more and more appearant and unacceptable to me.

rvy

Banned
You are wrong on several things. The game sometimes works, yes, and when it works, it's good. However it's definitly NOT all the time, it more feels like a merely 50%. I only played like 20 matches and in almost every game I had the situaton that my player would slow down right before the ball (first sprinting, than slowing down) for whatever reason. There were many situations in the defense were just hilarious. I catched at least five goals where the player stood around the 16m line and went through 3-4 defensive players from me as he were fucking yeboah, okocha and gaudino in one person.

Also playing one match with Real vs. some unknown sucky club is probably not the best way to judge this game, isn't it. It may be that this is indeed the best PES ever, but over the years the problems this game has became more and more appearant and unacceptable to me.

You should play as Japan for one match. I don't know if it's because the players have bad stats or whatever, but it's hilarious. They can't even get simple trapping and passing right.
Speaking of national teams, I'm pretty sure there's about 13 or so licensed national teams this year. Why Konami has been losing license after license, I don't know.
They lost Brazil, Argentina, Côte d'Ivoire, South Korea, Holland and some others I don't remember. Maybe it's just an issue of lack of time and the kits will be added with the October patch, but somehow I doubt it.

Asia-Oceania has only two or three licensed teams. Same goes for Africa and the Americas. Even Europe doesn't go over 8.

gate777

Got a question for Become a Legend.

In previous games (2009 i think) you could sign for any team, including the ones that didn't have a full league within the game. Konami changed that after (with 2010?). Can you sign for any club in this version? Including the ones from Europe that don't have a league of their own?

Also,

Can you make your own custom league in BAL and include any team you want?

You should play as Japan for one match. I don't know if it's because the players have bad stats or whatever, but it's hilarious. They can't even get simple trapping and passing right.
Speaking of national teams, I'm pretty sure there's about 13 or so licensed national teams this year. Why Konami has been losing license after license, I don't know.
They lost Brazil, Argentina, Côte d'Ivoire, South Korea, Holland and some others I don't remember. Maybe it's just an issue of lack of time and the kits will be added with the October patch, but somehow I doubt it.

Asia-Oceania has only two or three licensed teams. Same goes for Africa and the Americas. Even Europe doesn't go over 8.

IIRC, there was a post earlier in this thread (or maybe it was the FIFA one) suggesting that EA was actively seeking licencing deals on a per-club basis... Perhaps the same thing happened with each country's FA?

rvy

Banned
IIRC, there was a post earlier in this thread (or maybe it was the FIFA one) suggesting that EA was actively seeking licencing deals on a per-club basis... Perhaps the same thing happened with each country's FA?

Brazil is unlicensed in FIFA too. I don't think that's it as far as National teams go. Maybe they just made a 3 deal year with some, it expired and they decided not to use that money on national teams and license Brazilian teams instead.

Spat_triate

Well you gave yourself a huge handicap by playing as Real Madrid against freaking Motherwell (lol). I am willing to bet that rvy and others are not complaining about attacking player movement.

I have finished an entire ML season on Top Player (in the Brazilian League) and I have not seen a single AI goal that wasn't the result of an aerial throughball, a regular throughball, a cross or a corner. I'm talking over 50 games and I haven't seen a single speculative shot on goal or any kind of clever lateral passing.

The AI's attack is one dimensional. Get the ball, pass 3 or 4 times forward, throughball to striker who your centerbacks have gracefully allowed to split them.
If that doesn't work, the AI runs down the line until it reaches the corner flag, crosses it to the striker that your centerbacks have graciously allowed to run free in the box while your were tracking the wing.
If by will of the gods, you have managed to escape the onslaught of throughballs and crosses, the very next corner you concede will probably be an AI goal, to make matters worse, any ball you try to quickly boot out will be cleared for a corner. In the end, even if you win, it feels more like your were fighting against the game rather than playing it.

It's a shame because against human opponents this game truly shines. All of the options they've added are perfectly balanced for man VS man combat, not man VS machine.

jabuseika

New BAL Career, playing as SS, 7/7 dual feet striker, 88 shot accuracy, let's do this.

Season 1, 5 games played, 1 goal, 1 assist, spend most of the season in the crowd, coach never takes me into consideration. When I get on, team defends with 9 players, never get the ball, it's me on 6 defenders. FML.

Transfer Window, no one wants me.

Season 2, do great in Training matches, scoring + assists. Only subbed in in last 10 mins of a match every time, never get a chance to do anything, spend next few games in crowd. FML

FML.

willooi

wtf at the new Master League. Where are my guys Ruskin, Jaric, El Moubarki, Castolo, etc.? This is bullshit :(

Oh what, that player list is now changed? No more Dodo bossing midfield ala Patrick Vieira, or Minanda with his silky trequartista skills?

What does it have now?

Nope.jpg

Also the AI is pretty damn bad at places, sometimes it feels really great how they respond to your runs and such but playing be a star or whatever it's called mode the AI really starts to frustrate, 90% of the time when the wingers gets a deep ball they will stop up and fail to dribble past the full back or just fucking run it over the backline, so fucking frustrating.

The defensive AI is way worse, for some reason when running towards goal with only the defensive line ahead of you, the defender closest to you will simply run away and let the other mid stopper who is much further away from you, take care of it, often leaving you lots of space.

The goalkeeper AI is also just embarrassing at times, will randomly stand up and not react at all to dribblings and such.

jabuseika

Initial impressions, this is the best Pro Evo since 6, but that's not saying it's better. (at the pace the development is going, it'll be there in 4 more games :p)

I don't know if I have my settings wrong, but does anyone feel the game is in slow mode. The players in my BAL team run and move like a bunch of 50 year olds with serious arthritis, or probably it's just their low stats.

willooi

Some weird ass names you can't even pronounce. Really sad :(

That is disappointing. I'm sure we'll get used to it though...having gone through the likes of Iorga, Voichulard and Maqualao in the past =p But that default lineup will be missed.

Anyone been able to play a game online yet? If so, how's the lag?

zkylon

zkylewd
That is disappointing. I'm sure we'll get used to it though...having gone through the likes of Iorga, Voichulard and Maqualao in the past =p But that default lineup will be missed.

Anyone been able to play a game online yet? If so, how's the lag?
Yeah, I'll forever miss 'Matty' Macco and my man 'Panther' Valeny :p (nicknames sound better in spanish I swear)

willooi

Yeah, I'll forever miss 'Matty' Macco and my man 'Panther' Valeny :p (nicknames sound better in spanish I swear)

Haha I always had a soft spot for Eddington, aka 'Roberto Carlos'. Mainly because he was short, bald, and played left back...and also to disguise the fact that, apart from those things, he was nothing like Roberto Carlos =p

maxxpower

If I were to review this game I would give it a 6/10. It has fairly good gameplay yet it still has some noticeable bugs and through balls are still broken, yet compared to FIFA 13 you really appreciate the gameplay in PES this year. I'm giving it a 6/10 because Konami for whatever fucking reason removed a whole bunch game modes and game options. No afternoon matches, which had the best lighting, no visible rain, outdated rosters and player faces, no leagues, no non-rpg-boot master league, no PES shop, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ok, just raged at my shit default goalie not diving ONCE in the four matches I've played, making me lose all of them. Yup, it's ML alright...

Spat_triate

Oh what, that player list is now changed? No more Dodo bossing midfield ala Patrick Vieira, or Minanda with his silky trequartista skills?

What does it have now?

Well known players like Djolmeyerzky and Quetzalcoatlzky. I really miss Palmieri from the youth squad. He was my goto guy in defense.

Top Bottom