• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2017 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| The King's New Kit

PaulLFC

Changelog?

Can we finally install lots of team kits at once?
I bought the game for my brother and installed the full DFL 4.2 OF from scratch last night after installing the 1.02 patch - it replaces every single unlicensed team in the game and it imported everything in one go without issues.

I was playing against Southampton last night in my Master League with Arsenal. I'm winning 0-1. This win could see me go top of the league depending on the Chelsea score (turns out they drew). In the 86th minute Shane Long runs into my box and dives. The ref gives a penalty. The AI actually dived against me and reaped the rewards. Even the commentator said "Nah, I'm not having that. That's a blatant dive." But the ref still awarded the penalty and they equalised.

Never have I been so happy to lose points in a football game. I thought the whole thing was hilarious.

Every time I attempt a dive I always get pulled up for it. I obviously need to be more cunning.

Damn i wasn't aware you could even DO that? Just how do you dive then?

ty_hot

I bought the game for my brother and installed the full DFL 4.2 OF from scratch last night after installing the 1.02 patch - it replaces every single unlicensed team in the game and it imported everything in one go without issues.
I did the same here, everything imported without problems :) Installed the 4.0 with brazilian league update, now Im installing 4.2 and Libertadores and European teama (UCL EL)... Will finally start playing Master League (MyClub is highly adctive though... I need a CB and a good CMF (80+ is enough) to have all players I want in my strategy).

Elfenhain

This game has to be the game with the worst online servers around the internet. I just don't get it... every other game runs fine, just PES (even with connection restriction lv.5) runs like shit. What is the general experience for you guys with online gameplay?

Also its quite impossible to secure a win, because 8 out of 10 times the other player lag-cheats and doesnt get punished for it. Happens in myClub and in normal online divisions. Offline the game is a blast, near a perfect footballgame, but online it is just garbage!

Konami get your shit together and give us better online servers!

Sweep14

This game has to be the game with the worst online servers around the internet. I just don't get it... every other game runs fine, just PES (even with connection restriction lv.5) runs like shit. What is the general experience for you guys with online gameplay?

Also its quite impossible to secure a win, because 8 out of 10 times the other player lag-cheats and doesnt get punished for it. Happens in myClub and in normal online divisions. Offline the game is a blast, near a perfect footballgame, but online it is just garbage!

Nope. Pretty good experience for me. Very few lag and no disconnections at all. Also are you sure that level 5 network is the good one?

It's funny, I find that whenever I remove the connection restrictions for online games, I find games with much less lag than I do if I set it to any of the five levels, plus I also find games quicker of course.

The games still have input lag, but it's somewhat manageable with no restrictions. With them on, I've played games with over a second of delay at times, absolutely unplayable.

The weirdest thing is that because I'm in Australia where this game has an online community that could be counted on two hands, I always play people from Europe and Asia. In FIFA games against international players would be unplayable, but in PES they're playable.

While PES has that advantage online, what I'm finding is that after making the switch after years of playing FIFA, the way online players generally play isn't that much different between series. The online community in both tends to play a fast-paced, counter-attacking, long pass heavy game that relies on pressure and tackling, with a particular lean to wing play and crosses in PES.

While you can combat these tactics more effectively in PES, playing teams that play the same way over and over again gets tiresome similar to FIFA, and in some ways the more simplified tackle system compared to FIFA allows those players to excel more in PES.

Where this game is unbeatable is offline. The AI in this compared to FIFA is on another level. So much more fun to play, to a point that a normally online only FIFA player like myself is now thinking of starting up an ML given that complete option files are now a thing. PES feels like what a perfect online football game would be, except offline. More variety in playstyles and an AI that learns and adpats to how you play.

ty_hot

for the first time I am playing Become a legend. after installing some OF (4.2 pesgaming + brazilian league (updated rosters) + german league + european teams + libertadores teams + japanese league), I decided I should try it.

I am a 72 AMF, after 5 games averaging 6.0 and got my first assist :D. Playing with America MG (shit team, currently in 19th position in real life), we are in 6th place. good job team. I hope after this season (or in the middle of it?) I can be transfered to some better team.

Melkaz

Anyone exited for the PS4 Pro patch? So far I was only able to find that it supports 4k. but I don't have a 4k TV or monitor yet so I'm hoping for other improvements as well. Some issues that I have is that sometimes it all feels a bit blurry and the replays are very choppy due to the lower FPS. Let's hope they bring in some other goodness besides the higher resolution.

Alej

Banned
Anyone exited for the PS4 Pro patch? So far I was only able to find that it supports 4k. but I don't have a 4k TV or monitor yet so I'm hoping for other improvements as well. Some issues that I have is that sometimes it all feels a bit blurry and the replays are very choppy due to the lower FPS. Let's hope they bring in some other goodness besides the higher resolution.

At the very least, we'll have supersampling.
Maybe we'll get cutscene's lighting and motion blur on the pitch... But i doubt it.

As it is a game with lot of shimmer and alias, we should really benefit from 4K.

Socreges

Banned
So I've been playing Master League on Top Player difficulty. Some thoughts:

- Always loved ML when I played it religiously some years ago when Konami first introduced it. Probably stopped playing the series about 7 years ago. Until now. I started with Huddersfield Town in the Sky Bet Championship

- First off, I miss Miranda and Castolo 😐 But Castledine has been a revelation 👏

- The improvements are staggering for me. Particularly in the way that budgets and transfers are handled. Also in how they incentivize managers to hold onto players for years rather than constantly upgrading (developing player roles like legend, plus how long it takes for a player to gel with his teammates)

- It's a wonderful challenge. My first season was a struggle where I spent most of the time in the bottom half of the table and couldn't score goals. Around halfway through I got rid of older vets that were carrying the team to bring in youth with promise. It hurt. I couldn't generate anything, but I understood why. I'd ripped out the heart of the team. But by the end of the season the new players began to click and develop and I began to see more success than I ever had. Felt like a bit of redemption. Plus the team now had my own stamp on it. Finished in the middle.

- I'd signed Logrado (sic) from the youth team. A big stink was made, complete with a press event. He was OPR 75 but an SS in a 4-5-1 formation that didn't suit him. I played him on the wing and he never really fit in. Tried to resign him but he refused and left the team in the summer with no transfer fee left behind. That stung

- Season 2 started out poorly with my revamped back line having zero chemistry and my new wingers struggling to find their place. But once they adapted it was all good. It's now January and I'm in 3rd/4th, possibly looking to compete for a promotion spot.

- The gameplay is phenomenal. Creating goals is always rewarding and they aren't often generated in the same way. I had a cross shank off a defenders leg and spin into the near top corner as the goalie stood still, looking on. Or a chest-controlled volley from the top of the 18 over the keeper's outstretched arms. Defending is also quite fun

- My biggest complaint has to be the refs. The foul system seems to be quite random. It's also way too easy to slide in front of a player but have him trip over you after the ball is gone, producing a yellow. Red cards are also unrealistically rare.

Overall...very, very impressed. I'll be playing this for the next long while, no question

- Always loved ML when I played it religiously some years ago when Konami first introduced it. Probably stopped playing the series about 7 years ago. Until now. I started with Huddersfield Town in the Sky Bet Championship
The poor mathematics variables behind the Master League transfers are ruining the mode for me. I have an excellent striker called D.ROS who has scored over a 100+ goals in three seasons, I paid around 16 million for him but he's only valued at 14 million despite being the...

- Top scorer in the Premier League for the past 2 seasons.
- Top scorer in the Champions League for the past 2 seasons.
- Voted the best player in the Premier League for the past 2 seasons.
- Voted the best South American player for the past 2 seasons.
- Voted the best player in the Champions League for the past 2 seasons.
- Voted the best player in the World for the past 2 seasons.
- He's rated at 89.

This is annoying but what really annoys me is that he wants 10 million a year in wages now and no real life big teams ever try to buy my players, it's never Barcelona, Bayern or Man United, it's always some no-name little team from Ecuador or some shit who apparently want to bolster there little squad of below average 64 rated players with the best player in the world, this shits ridiculous and ruins immersion, Konami really need to hire a mathematician who can input proper variables with real world likelihoods based on real football statistics.

I don't mind my star player refusing to sign a new contract forcing me to sell him to another big team rival like Real Madrid as it will create an interesting story in my head next time I play against him, but currently I feel bad selling my players as it feels like I'm ruining their career by selling them to some nothing team in the middle of nowhere called "Vlkktzeruim FC".

Socreges

Banned
You've got something against Vlkktzeruim FC...?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like ML suffers from a bit of Skyrim syndrome

ty_hot

I was selected for the National Team in the beginning of my second season in Become a Legend. I played only half of the matches of the first year because I was injured, ended up with 19 games played, 0 goals and 4 assistis. I am a AMF. Before being selected I had played 6 games (2 goals, 2 assistis). Starting eleven of BRAZIL. neymar was in the bench because I was playing. Seriously. First year I played in the 16th team in Brazilian Championship, the second I was playing in the 6-8th team in second division of Italy. And I was, I repeat, in the starting eleven of BRAZIL.

No immersion at all. Not rewarding at all. Seriously? It shouldd take at least 2-3 years to get a chance to play in the national team (specially Brazil). And only after you achieve something.

And the camera when you are playing near the sidelines.. omg, it destroys all your plays. But playing with the normal camera is terrible, you cant see what is happening in the defense... blargh.

I was selected for the National Team in the beginning of my second season in Become a Legend. I played only half of the matches of the first year because I was injured, ended up with 19 games played, 0 goals and 4 assistis. I am a AMF. Before being selected I had played 6 games (2 goals, 2 assistis). Starting eleven of BRAZIL. neymar was in the bench because I was playing. Seriously. First year I played in the 16th team in Brazilian Championship, the second I was playing in the 6-8th team in second division of Italy. And I was, I repeat, in the starting eleven of BRAZIL.

No immersion at all. Not rewarding at all. Seriously? It shouldd take at least 2-3 years to get a chance to play in the national team (specially Brazil). And only after you achieve something.

And the camera when you are playing near the sidelines.. omg, it destroys all your plays. But playing with the normal camera is terrible, you cant see what is happening in the defense... blargh.

This is why I can't get in to this mode. Don't know why Konami can't ape FIFA and allow a control team option either.

baberunisei

I'm finishing my second season on Master League on normal difficulty and I feel the need to express how I feel about the game: it's fantastic! It is the first time in ten years that I engage in a soccer videogame this way. Winning Eleven 4 on PSX, the title that I think first introduced the Master League, was certainly the game I played the most during my life. And PES 17 is reviving that feeling I had back then.

I started in English second division and now in my second season was hired by Manchester City. Man, the move to a wealthier team added so much enjoyment to the game for me! I hired almost all the players I wanted, including the future legend Gabriel Jesus from Palmeiras (exchanged him for Aguero in fact).

I'm so happy that this game exists, and that even with their recent move to almost entirely not making games anymore Konami keeps supporting and improving this series, that is so much more fun to play than FIFA in my opinion. I just hope the revenues they're having for the game encourages them to keep making it in the future. We gamers are so used to hating Konami these days that I think it's important to mention this positive side of theirs.

"Unfortunately", I'm gonna soon stop playing it because FF XV is coming and I'm gonna dedicate myself to that. But I'm already completely satisfied with what I played and plan to return to it some time and, certainly, will buy PES 18 on launch day. That's it, long live the king!

unrealist

Playing this on my GPD Win is a godsend. There have been zero titles, either PES or Fifa on any handhelds for the past few years..

Socreges

Banned
In Master League, what's the best way to support the growth of players? Should I be switching through different training regiments (eg, adv striker, poacher etc) to ensure that the areas I want improved are improved? Or do I only need to worry about the blue bars (potential) filling up? Any other tips (besides playing them regularly)?

ty_hot

Finished my first ML season. Started with the ML players in a shit Brazilian team. Until the half of the season my team was terrible, I had one player 86 (Lobato?) that got tired after 30 minutes playing... but I only realized it after the transfer windows was closed... First half of the season I managed to be around 7-9th position in the championship (was disqualified in the first round of the cup though, against my rival).

Then I sold this Lobato guy, huge money (30M+ euros), then I could invest in some players: bought Paulinho 78 (plays in China), traded one great CF I had (but he was injured during the whole half of season) for a AMF from Sao Paulo 78 (and paid a lot of money as well), signed some great free agents (2 CB 77-75), and some loaned players (81 RB, 79 CM and 78 CF). Started winning matches, rising in the table, until in the last round I still had chances of qualifying for the Libertadores. won my game but the other teams didnt lose =( So I am stuck for one more year in this team, but now my players are fine and the Team Spirit is high as well (82) so the players are still dumb sometimes, but not always.

I was hired to be Peru coach (I got a proposal from BRAZIL actually, but that seemed nuts and I just couldnt accept it lol). After 6 games in the qualifyings I have 3 wins, 2 losses and 1 draw, good results (4th place currently).

For the next season I will have 2 new players coming (loan). My team gave me lots of money... FOR SALLARIES. Seriously, they gave me more 8 million in sallaries, and more 3 million in budget. What the hell am I supposed to do with this?

Oh, my 'favourite player' of the season started well (3 goals and 2 assists in 8 matches), but then he went downhill and is now sitting i the bench. I will choose one CF this time (he is AMF) so that I can get better ratings as they are basically related to the number of goals a player scores (Fifa is so much better giving ratings).

In Master League, what's the best way to support the growth of players? Should I be switching through different training regiments (eg, adv striker, poacher etc) to ensure that the areas I want improved are improved? Or do I only need to worry about the blue bars (potential) filling up? Any other tips (besides playing them regularly)?

I signed some players form the youth team, after their first appearance in the first team they already got the 'youth prospect lvl 1' role, which helps them get better. Then some of them got the 'protegé' role, which helps even more. In half a season I got some great improvements (72 to 76, 70 to 75, 66 to 71 and a 71 to 74). I believe that if they are playing well (6 rating or more) then they evolve more. Regarding training, I just left in one type of training during all season, will check it again now that the season is over and adjust accordingly.

Jingo

Some quick doubts:

Is there any place where i can download the patch to licence the teams?

Couls i use this teams online? I dont see any real madrid or bayern munich online.

And please, please someone teach me
How to defend in this game, never had any problem in the past but now it seems that defense its too independent and manual controling.

Lupercal

Banned
Curious... what's the difference between this and fifa? Which one is better?

Fully licensend (fifa) vs partial license (PES)
Great online (fifa) vs bad online (PES)
Stupid AI 50 % of the time vs decent to good AI (PES)
Great performance (fifa) vs Good performance, laggy in cutscenes (PES)

LAM09

PES isn't "bad" online. Just isn't as good as it's competitor.

mauaus

OK gameplay (Fifa) vs Awesome gameplay (Pes)
Fixed it!

Socreges

Banned
Finished my first ML season. Started with the ML players in a shit Brazilian team. Until the half of the season my team was terrible, I had one player 86 (Lobato?) that got tired after 30 minutes playing... but I only realized it after the transfer windows was closed... First half of the season I managed to be around 7-9th position in the championship (was disqualified in the first round of the cup though, against my rival).

Then I sold this Lobato guy, huge money (30M+ euros), then I could invest in some players: bought Paulinho 78 (plays in China), traded one great CF I had (but he was injured during the whole half of season) for a AMF from Sao Paulo 78 (and paid a lot of money as well), signed some great free agents (2 CB 77-75), and some loaned players (81 RB, 79 CM and 78 CF). Started winning matches, rising in the table, until in the last round I still had chances of qualifying for the Libertadores. won my game but the other teams didnt lose =( So I am stuck for one more year in this team, but now my players are fine and the Team Spirit is high as well (82) so the players are still dumb sometimes, but not always.

I signed some players form the youth team, after their first appearance in the first team they already got the 'youth prospect lvl 1' role, which helps them get better. Then some of them got the 'protegé' role, which helps even more. In half a season I got some great improvements (72 to 76, 70 to 75, 66 to 71 and a 71 to 74). I believe that if they are playing well (6 rating or more) then they evolve more. Regarding training, I just left in one type of training during all season, will check it again now that the season is over and adjust accordingly.
Lobato is ridiculous. He has terrible stamina and body control, which makes him fairly useless, but he's otherwise very good and worth taking on as a project (focused training may help and he can come on as a sub for the last 20 min). Unfortunately I lost him to another team without being able to secure a transfer fee!

Some quick doubts:

Is there any place where i can download the patch to licence the teams?

Couls i use this teams online? I dont see any real madrid or bayern munich online.

And please, please someone teach me
How to defend in this game, never had any problem in the past but now it seems that defense its too independent and manual controling.
Use the tutorials. Check out some YouTube videos on defending. In my mind if you want to be really good you need a combination of the following:

- know when to just press (hold X) and when to tackle (tap X). You'll work this out over time as you learn what works and what doesn't
- be careful if you bring in another defender (holding square). If you don't get the ball you've opened up the field and likely left someone free
- jockey and focus on cutting off passing lanes. Anticipate a dangerous run and get your butt back to intercept the pass. This might mean leaving the ball carrier alone (unless you hold square in these instances), but used at the right moments you make it very tough for them to generate offense
- having good DMFs is huge. On my ML team I've got two DMFs (4-2-3-1) and both are very fast and have good 'ball winning'. So they snuff out a lot of attacks before they even happen. Got to own that midfield

Socreges

Banned
How is Superstar compared to Top Player? Is the AI actually smarter in their decision making or are they just ridiculously incisive (eg, scoring goals where they string together three incredible through passes and are essentially unstoppable)? I ask because I just got promoted to the EPL in ML and I'm already top of the table (barely) despite having a team of OPRs 73-80, not 78-88 like most elite teams. It's still a struggle to win but I shouldn't be beating Man City 3-0...

spwolf

i have no performance issues of any kind in PES on PS4.

And AI and gameplay is godly vs mediocre in Fifa.

PaulLFC

What do you mean partially licensed? With an option file and 10 minutes of renaming competitions I don't have a single fake team or competition.

dakun

Nice the European PSN store has this for 35€. This is the first year i skipped FIFA and waited for PES to go on sale. So excited. But now i have to figure out how to Install the option files first.

Top Bottom