• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition To Bring Back All Past Off-Topic Threads As Locked Threads

Success

WE DID IT!

"The Off-Topic thread archive will be restored this week, since internet petitions are always super effective." - EviLore

I want to thank all 145 people who took the time to sign this petition to restore the old Off-Topic archives! Thank you all, we could not have done it without you. Remember people, together we are strong.

MILESTONES:
100 NAMES SIGNED! - 29/10/2017

NOTE:
Please mention in the post below if you would like to sign the petition so that I can manually add your name. Unless you say so or strongly hint at signing the petition I won't add you since I don't want to add people against their will.

Hello,

The Obvious Facts:
1. Yes, I am aware there is a thread by Gromph to get back specific threads.
2. Yes, I am aware that this thread exist. My particular post has a very different angle.

The Main Point:
This is my very first thread ever on NeoGaf and I have been lurking here for years so I hope this shows how strongly I feel about this topic.

To put it simply, I am a lurker. I rarely post but visit often and read often and I LOVE to add threads to my subscription so that I can look at them in the future.

After all this change the OT (Off-Topic) section of the website was purged and users can only now get threads back if they remember their title in some way.

I lost 50+ threads in subscription of titles I cannot remember. My whole NeoGAF experience was collecting threads to read over in the future and now it is lost.

I still find it hard to see why OT had to have every thread made completely invisible instead of just being locked.

From the bottom of my heart please bring back the OT threads and simply lock them, please do not erase this very important part of NeoGAF culture.

If you are with me then please post below and add your own voice to this petition.

Names
1. Success
2. PJV3
3. cloudstrife
4. numble
5. Tinfoilhatsron
6. Forearms
7. Fate_Shirou
8. Kimawolf
9. JoeBoy101
10. TheAbsolution
11. celebi23
12. ZOONAMI
13. Ombra
14. Afrikan
15. Jackben
16. RinsFury
17. Dark Rider
18. Alebrije
19. Spacejaws
20. UrokeJoe
21. Robot Carnival
22. heckmanimation
23. Gaming Truth
24. Bryan Newman
25. TalkingToast
26. cheststrongwell
27. NaturalHigh
28. Cramoss
29. Tezzeractor
30. Aurongel
31. Heisenberg
32. hack646
33. BouncyFrag
34. jroc74
35. JLG-
36. loki 16
37. finowns
38. The Skater
39. Amory
40. entremet
41. HariKari
42. davepoobond
43. Werd
44. nbcjr
45. Jack The Nipper
46. Jake.
47. segasonic
48. Ultrarobotninja
49. TarNaru33
50. Ardyes
51. TissueBox
52. Dhx
53. darkwing
54. Hoya Destroyer
55. 404Ender
56. Patrick S.
57. Dragoon En Regalia
58. ubique
59. thoseAREmySHOES
60. Extra Sauce
61. HardcoreGamer4Ever
62. Alcibiades
63. Stitch
64. Lucumo
65. Froli
66. Marty Chinn
67. Soldiussnaku
68. ckaneo
69. Living the Dream
70. Bitmap Frogs
71. HMM
72. toohectic
73. SiteSeer
74. buy teh haloz
75. turnbuckle
76. greyshark
77. Mac_Lane
78. Bigfoot
79. Pomerlaw
80. Mister Wilhelm
81. Syder
82. Jordan117
83. chargin' chuck
84. Goldfishking
85. archreaper93
86. Catchpenny
87. kaister
88. sum as whole
89. Tanus777
90. RusselUp
91. Air Zombie Meat
92. VGChampion
93. LakeEarth
94. draetenth
95. Hiz_95
96. Represent.
97. Rubmifer
98. empanada
99. Krixeus
100. Colossus
101. Exotoro
102. Stuggernaut
103. Captain Chaos
104. shauntu
105. Neo C.
106. Naked Snake
107. AlteredBeast
108. JrBaconCheeseburger
109. airmangataosenai
110. airjoca
111. Kadayi
112. TheQueen'sOwn
113. Loki
114. Xtyle
115. YunFang1130
116. KahooTs
117. prag16
118. Theorymon
119. Razorback PT
120. WinterIsComing
121. Dark Rider
122. E-Cat
123. Herne
124. Airola
125. Theodoricos
126. EdLuva
127. Tetra-9
128. Corronchilejano
129. Jesus Carbomb
130. teh_pwn
131. Earthbound64
132. goodcow
133. ironmang
134. Wowfunhappy
135. yongeandcollege
136. Soule
137. Hienn
138. cowboyz89
139. InfernoNR
140. OmniGamer
141. MickeyPhree
142. Coreda
143. Aeonin
144. EYEL1NER
145. Soriku

PJV3

Yeah I hope they reconsider, or at least not do anything for now that would prevent it in the future when things have settled down.

This is the dumbest decision possible considering I spend most of my time browsing the various threads about old movies, shows, etc.

Xtyle

Maybe a solution would be to make an archive section where we can go look up old OT threads and we can ask for making live and threads from that archive?

I personally think the old threads could be a great attraction to some users and will at least bring in some more traffic to the site (hey, wouldn't that help with the ad money? or would it? just saying).

Forearms

While I have no subscriptions, I think this would be the best approach for users who did. The only modification I would make to the request would be that the |OT| threads be restored in an unlocked state.

JoeBoy101

Yeah, sign me up. There is way too much useful information and the concerns over personal information rings a bit hollow. If it was fine to have up last week, its alright to have up now.

Success

Maybe a solution would be to make an archive section where we can go look up old OT threads and we can ask for making live and threads from that archive?

I personally think the old threads could be a great attraction to some users and will at least bring in some more traffic to the site (hey, wouldn't that help with the ad money? or would it? just saying).

Any way to bring back old threads to make the viewable again from the subscription box is good with me.

As many posters have said before me, what made NeoGAF such a rich place was the richness and depth of various discussion points in the Off-Topic board. Having it go completely due to non-technical reasons is just not right.

Ombra

Signed

every time I finally get to see an older movie or series I always come to Gaf to gauge the reactions from when it was new.

Afrikan

Yes please. I'm a hoarder when it comes to messages and posts.

I haven't deleted any emails or text messages for god knows how long. And I like being able to look up my old old posts to see how I viewed things at a certain time.

Spacejaws

I agree aswell.

I wonder if the reason for the lock is to stop ex-members literally copy and pasting their threads to era.
Point would be moot now.

numble

I agree aswell.

I wonder if the reason for the lock is to stop ex-members literally copy and pasting their threads to era.
Point would be moot now.
If that was the case, the Gaming forum and OT Community should be subject to the same treatment. Gaming was always a more active forum than OT, with more elaborate threads. The privacy reason doesn’t seem to make sense because OT Community threads often discuss a lot of “private” information.

Cramoss

It's always fun to see some ancient good old threads so yeah, I'm in

Also, what happened to the Neogaf name at the top? What kind of creepypasta is this?

Aurongel

That's probably a huge DB operation, but they should totally do it. It's kinda spectacular how mismanaged this has been.

Death by a thousand cuts.

Add me.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I agree.

Seen another poster that had a very good reason to want them back too.

Like you op, I will see an old thread get posted in a reply and I wind up subbing to it. Even ones already locked.

Add me to the petition.

Amory

Yeah I'm in. After all the crap this place has been through the past week, what's anyone afraid of to give us everything back?

All the people that were super pissed are gone anyway

Top Bottom