• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to stop Far Cry 5 - this is next level craziness.

This reads like a parody. But lately so does a lot of right-wing media.
We’ve sat through your multicultural lectures and your preachy games aimed at degenerates and miscegenators.
I mean you might as well start throwing out racial slurs if your gonna use words like that to describe us.

In the words of Boltair – “To learn who rules you, simply find out who’s not being criticized.”

yes like this apparently non-existent American religious militia that is being fabricated out of thin air to be in this offensive Ubisoft game that shouldn't exist. No lack of criticism there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
In these times, you must understand that there might be some violent repurcussions if you intend to follow through with your pointless criticism.

I can hear Yves shaking in his seat right now

- Change the setting, but only for certain markets. Look, I get that anti-Americanism plays in France, and I'm not telling you to give up on potential profits due to complaints. Wouldn't want to be thought as one of those hypocrite feminists, right? But for America, right now, Anti-Americanism is out. You gotta play your market. Change the setting to Canada for America. This way you don't turn away potential players due to offensiveness. Just trying to help you make more money.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Oh my god, this is delicious.
No way this is real, but I appreciate the effort

I love that it's hard to immediately tell if stuff like this is a joke or not. I'd love to go with my instinct that it is, but man, people have really been stepping up to the plate lately. (Dark horse third option would be marketing.)

degenerates and miscegenators

Yeah this is probably satire. Or at least I hope it is because it made me laugh in a dark humor kind of way.

I'm looking forward to this game so damn much. Open world rural USA, like a dream come true!

i haven't followed FC5, but is it safe to assume the baddies are rural white men?

That's the best part, they're not. They're rural people in general, only common thread is being a religious cultist nut.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
We, the American gamers that make up the majority of your userbase ...

I'd imagine there are a number of Ubi games that have sold the most in the US from a per-country perspective, but that's far from the same thing as "The US is home to most of your customers."

bwakh

You Be Soft, just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in France where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Far Cry 5 for either system, nor will they purchase any of You Be Soft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but You Be Soft has alienated an entire market with this move.

You Be Soft, publicly apologize and cancel Far Cry 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

In the words of Boltair

1495728246-homer10.png

Kyonashi

Gentle reminder that if you can't tell whether something is supposed to be satire or not it's not serving its role as satire.

tumblr_o6iqjdBRZ11scn6d0o1_500.jpg

Some seem to think it's a parody tbf.

A petition with 200 signatures that seems to be a joke given it's quoting mocking Tweets really isn't worth anyone's time.

Wasn't this confirmed satire?

This has to be some sort of parody petition lol
Some of the responses are just too damn crazy to be real.

I think this is satire. It threw me off too because it's... it's something that would really happen.

Do people actually think that Far Cry 5 is going to make some profound message or statement? They're using America as their setting to give some variety to the franchise. Story and it's depth is the last thing I expect from this series.

The petition reads like a parody.

Barely ok attempt at trollin there

Yeah this is obviously a satire. Also top comments.

Often, the best satire cannot be confirmed. I personally believe it to be a troll.

"Us Gamers have had to endure a lot of crap over the last few years. The targeted harassment by the mainstream press through Gamergate, the terrible launch and outright lies of highly anticpated video games, the outright censorship of art through “localization” policies, the continued rejection of romantic partners when they find out our hobby, the appropriation of our culture by so-called “gamers” on twitter. NO MORE!".

This is rather obvious a joke

Definitely a Poe's Law candidate.

This is even dumber than people being disappointed that you not gonna shoot at hyper-conservative christians and just cultists.

g11

Crazy that the far-left and far-right these days think they have the right to decide what media is okay for the general public to consume. The political spectrum really is a circle...

Oh well, bring on the fundie killing in 2018!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
i haven't followed FC5, but is it safe to assume the baddies are rural white men?

Sort of. Based off the weird cult militias that actually exist and not too recently one had a long stand off with the FBI. Im not familiar enough with the geography to say if it is rural or not. They just mad a white guy is a villian.

Also, tangential but I showed the reveal trailer to some friends that are more staunchly liberal in some ways than I. They called it lame and unrealistic. When I brought up the stand off they didn't say much. Still bummed me out they just sort of mocked it. Certainly seems like the most interesting direction they could take the series in my opinion.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Sort of. Based off the weird cult militias that actually exist and not too recently one had a long stand off with the FBI. Im not familiar enough with the geography to say if it is rural or not. They just mad a white guy is a villian.

Also, tangential but I showed the reveal trailer to some friends that are more staunchly liberal in some ways than I. They called it lame and unrealistic. When I brought up the stand off they didn't say much. Still bummed me out they just sort of mocked it. Certainly seems like the most interesting direction they could take the series in my opinion.

oh shit, yeah i remember hearing of those treasonous crazy people

sounds like an interesting direction for the series

Tacitus_

Change the villains. It’s not so hard, really. Just change the villains to something more realistic. Islam is on the rise in America, as is the violence of inner city gangs. Are you scared to do so? In the words of Boltair – “To learn who rules you, simply find out who’s not being criticized.”

lmao

I have to say, I'm seriously enjoying how butthurt people are getting about this game.

Necro900

Damn. How can they be this oblivious to something that's happening in their very country?

Machina

Banned
“To learn who rules you, simply find out who’s not being criticized.”

But white people aren't allowed to be criticized.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It is clearly satire.

He's saying that it's perhaps supposed to be satire, but the fact it being genuine wouldn't be the least bit surprising in post-election America means it falls short of the mark.

0382_s7tr.gif

Amazing! I'm drinking up the tears.
Also I didn't know the average American was a religious mid-west gun toting militia cult member??

I feel like I'm in the Twighlight zone here.

Keasar

People say that it's a parody.

The problem right now is that reality have been looking a lot like a parody.

This is just too confusing.

Diamond

Ubisoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in France where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in USfuckinA, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Far Cry 5, nor will they purchase any of Ubisoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Ubisoft has alienated an entire market with this move.

Ubisoft, publicly apologize and cancel Far Cry 5 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Edit : Shit, not quick enough... :(

Kthulhu

^^ A+ post right here.

Change the villains. It’s not so hard, really. Just change the villains to something more realistic. Islam is on the rise in America, as is the violence of inner city gangs. Are you scared to do so? In the words of Boltair – “To learn who rules you, simply find out who’s not being criticized.”

This one's my favorite. Islamic terrorism has killed far less people than Right wing and Christian terrorism in the United States. Not to mention that crime has been dropping for the past 20 odd years.

Undrey

Wow, it amazes me people like this actually exists. This reads like some sort of satire. I sincerely hope the people behind this aren't serious.

Top Bottom