• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to stop Far Cry 5 - this is next level craziness.

This is satire. They said they put up with Ubisoft's 'preaching' for the sake of innovation. Far Cry... Innovation...

I do love the real controversy though. Seeing these poor, oppressed Christian Americans getting upset is highly entertaining.

Wait, I've ignored Far Cry 5 because I've always ignored Far Cry, what's going on with this one to get such a response, satire or otherwise?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, I've ignored Far Cry 5 because I've always ignored Far Cry, what's going on with this one?

It's "controversial" because it portrays white Americans as bad people.

Edit: In the interest of clarity:
So does capitalism, and it's central to most video game plots.

Well, capitalism is inherently founded on self-interest, and self-interest is, in a gross form, a defining characteristic of post-election America. To put it another way, many aren't diametrically opposed to capitalism as a concept, just manifestations that adversely affect them personally, and, similarly, many don't like being reminded that their beliefs are objectionable.

Logash

Nothing is off limits in entertainment. I am a serious believer in that and that includes stuff that I personally don't like. But if I don't like something I simply do not buy it. I will never understand this notion that by something I don't like just existing, I will somehow be hurt by it. Fucking ignore and move on. Life is too short for you to be bitching about something like this.

The Bad Guys aren't conveniently foreign.

It's "controversial" because it portrays white Americans as bad people.

It's set in religious lunatic Middle America

Just saw the trailer, oh boy.

To be honest while I probably still won't get it, admittedly it's the most I've been interested in this series.

But this isn't the first time we have games with crazy Christian cults.

GeoGonzo

Pretty funny.

Still, is anyone really expecting insightful social commentary from FarCry? I'd be -really- surprised if there was any difference in dialogue when you are playing as a woman or POC.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
While the cult in Far Cry 5 may be hyperbolic and over the top, there have been enough Christian derived cults associated with violence in the history of the US, that in and of itself is not new or shocking. What is, is that you have so many people identifying with the villains, its a bit scary.
So maybe Ubisoft isn't so far off the mark anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Some seem to think it's a parody tbf.

the continued rejection of romantic partners when they find out our hobby

It has to be.

I'm a delicate little flower who is okay with shooting brown people, foreigners, and liberals who work the EVIL corporations, but you, Ubisoft, have gone too far. How dare make a game about that antagonizes a group of criminal white christian zealots terrorizing a small town community that for some reason I okay with and agree on a ideological level. This is 2017, you can't make a game about killing doomsday cultist that are primarily white...unless they're gay or Muslim, then it's acceptable.

I hope you're ready for retribution, because after this, I going to write an angry post on twitter and facebook that will largely go ignored. That will show you! #Ubisoftdead

It is!

Nev

Banned
Some religious nuts are outraged at a videogame?? Shocking.

Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, when LittleBigPlanet got delayed because it had some religious chant. Apparently the same thing that got Ocarina of Time in trouble.

This is not "next level craziness", it's "your usual craziness".

If anything, this is the most stupidly expressed one. Boltair hahahaha.

Also "Cancel Far Cry 5" lmao. Solid.

I don't get it at all. It just looks like typical cult stuff that's been done before a thousand times. The angle these people are coming from seems really contrived to me, but then again, I'm not an American so I guess I just can't see it?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This is satire. They said they put up with Ubisoft's 'preaching' for the sake of innovation. Far Cry... Innovation...

I do love the real controversy though. Seeing these poor, oppressed Christian Americans getting upset is highly entertaining.

It must be somewhat innovative or influential since it seems to be the lazy go to reference for GAF to deride any other sort of open world game, whether the game in question actually plays like Far Cry or not.

ASIS

Parody or not, this is what some of you sounded like when you wanted, no, demanded that Link be female in the next game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So does capitalism, and it's central to most video game plots.

Well, capitalism is inherently founded on self-interest, and self-interest is, in a gross form, a defining characteristic of post-election America. To put it another way, many aren't diametrically opposed to capitalism as a concept, just manifestations that adversely affect them personally, and, similarly, many don't like being reminded that their beliefs are objectionable.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I want to say "Do film and TV get this sort of reaction when they create works about radical Christian cults through American history" and I know the answer, yes.

Free speech only applies until you're offended and the religious right are no exception. This may be semi obvious parody but the controversy is not and the tone deaf offense of those quick to play the "anti PC brigade" card when defending bigotry is quite outstanding.

Oh and of course, for anyone who isn't American this is refreshing. In all forms of media you can line up all manner of stereotypical tropes Hollywood and US dominated media has created for other countries and maybe having the shoe on the other foot may make people think twice about that.

What am I thinking of course it won't.

Maybe read the damn petition before going into a frenzy... You are no better than the people you always mock.

That is satire or trolling, it is not even subtle.

And what right some of you have to speak shit about some people's beliefs? You are just like the worst trumpists. Getting tired of that emo ass "Ima an atheist hur dur" attitude. Maybe show some respect to other people? How damn hard is it?

Machina

Banned
While we're at it, someone better tell the snowflake to stay well away from films like A Time To Kill. He wouldn't wanna have to take on Hollywood as well

Top Bottom