• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn these "heated gaming moments" making me look like a racist when I'm clearly not! We really should've invented some kinds of other outlets to vent our gaming frustrations besides racial slurs by now!

EVEN IF we're going on the assumption that dropping the n-word was just an innocent accident that is ultimately excusable, the responsible thing to do would be to find a different line of work from video games. If you can't control your mouth on stream to your millions of fans, you're compelled to remove yourself from the profession.

Hesh

It's going to be weird to see 4chan and the other racist trash heaps embrace this guy after years of deriding him simply because he uses the same racial epithets as they do.

It is obviously very undesireable for someone as influential as PewDiePie to signal it's okay to use the word willy-nilly. But all the comments instantly condemning PewDiePie as clearly racist have it wrong. I've only seen proof he's insensitive and kind of a dick so far. Which is kind of his jazz.

To see where I'm coming from: in my native language, Dutch, the equivalent word "neger" lacks the same connotation as "nigger" does in English. Sure the Dutch kept slaves way back in the day so there's a similar history there, but it just so happens that the word (not the principle of racism or slavery) was normalised over the years and became a pretty inoffensive way to refer to someone with black skin. It's only recently that people have become more sensitive to the word again as we start to realise it's a very bad word in English, which is a language we all speak to some extent nowadays. But Dutch people, when speaking English, will still say "nigger" sometimes and have no idea how it comes across.

PewDiePie, being Swedish, probably doesn't fully realise what it means to use that word. "He really should know better at this point", I hear you think, and you'd be right. But I can understand that using the word doesn't feel as significant as it would to any native speaker. He knows it's not really a good thing (which is why he doesn't use it all the time), but doesn't realise how offensive saying the word even once is to native speakers. It's ignorance.

It's possible he's also racist, I just wouldn't extrapolate that from the use of "nigger" by a non-native speaker. If he used it ten times in a row, then it least it would look like a statement of some sort, a very deliberate choice at the very least. But now he just seems like a kid who doesn't know what's what. As he usually does.

Some of you will likely take issue with my typing out of the "n-word" uncensored, which kind of proves my point: I don't really know where the line is as a non-native speaker. I just feel it's silly to censor it when it's obviously not meant as an insult.
None of this has a single thing to do with PewDiePie. He has been in this situation before, and called out for it before. He knows exactly why it's wrong, but chose to do it anyway. Which his own reaction in the video makes clear. He knows exactly what he did, and why it's bad (which is natural because he's been in this situation and is not ignorant at all).

You're "average European" or whatever has absolutely nothing to do with this. Nothing. He ain't an average person, and this ain't his first rodeo. No reason to bring any of that up at all, because it has absolutely ZERO to deal with the situation at hand.

rfield84

Banned
It is obviously very undesireable for someone as influential as PewDiePie to signal it's okay to use the word willy-nilly. But all the comments instantly condemning PewDiePie as clearly racist have it wrong. I've only seen proof he's insensitive and kind of a dick so far. Which is kind of his jazz.

To see where I'm coming from: in my native language, Dutch, the equivalent word "neger" lacks the same connotation as "nigger" does in English. Sure the Dutch kept slaves way back in the day so there's a similar history there, but it just so happens that the word (not the principle of racism or slavery) was normalised over the years and became a pretty inoffensive way to refer to someone with black skin. It's only recently that people have become more sensitive to the word again as we start to realise it's a very bad word in English, which is a language we all speak to some extent nowadays. But Dutch people, when speaking English, will still say "nigger" sometimes and have no idea how it comes across.

PewDiePie, being Swedish, probably doesn't fully realise what it means to use that word. "He really should know better at this point", I hear you think, and you'd be right. But I can understand that using the word doesn't feel as significant as it would to any native speaker. He knows it's not really a good thing (which is why he doesn't use it all the time), but doesn't realise how offensive saying the word even once is to native speakers. It's ignorance.

It's possible he's also racist, I just wouldn't extrapolate that from the use of "nigger" by a non-native speaker. If he used it ten times in a row, then it least it would look like a statement of some sort, a very deliberate choice at the very least. But now he just seems like a kid who doesn't know what's what. As he usually does.

Some of you will likely take issue with my typing out of the "n-word" uncensored, which kind of proves my point: I don't really know where the line is as a non-native speaker. I just feel it's silly to censor it when it's obviously not meant as an insult.

Wow.

jSJmCuV.png

WHOO

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Even if he didn't understand the context of racial history in the United States growing up, he is very obviously concerned with US politics in the present as he just ranted against progressive celebrities.

GHG

Gold Member

I do wonder... have you ever asked black people how they feel about this? Do you even know how they feel about this.

But then, I shouldn't be surprised when there is an annual holiday where large amounts of Dutch people think it's perfectly acceptable to rock a blackface.

When you have a lot of black friends sometimes it just happens.
They say it all the damn time it's only natural to repeat what you hear.

It just rolls off the tongue.

Oftentimes its not even meant to be racists even though it's of racist origins.
But most people 100% ignore that.

Oersted

Even if you could argue that your average Joe doesn't know the full connotation of the n-word, this isn't just some average Joe. This is PewDiePie, the biggest streamer in the whole world, with a huge American following, someone who interacts with lots of American people on a daily basis, and someone who already has a history of being generally shitty (constantly using rape "jokes" in his videos, using nazi imagery, the whole "death to all jews" deal).

He knows exactly what the fuck he's doing.

Him being crap is his jazz man. You can't attack people for acting like crap when its their jazz /s

Fat4all

Banned

Let's slow the dumbness down for a second and consider that PDP, in the video, clearly knows he fucked up, so the arguments about him not knowing it was a bad word? They're ridiculous and disingenuous at best, and a half-hearted attempt at defending racism at worst. That is not a line you want to walk here.

"PewDiePie, being Swedish, probably doesn't fully realise what it means to use that word."

You're a fucking embarrassment to every Dutchie on here.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Yeah, they're the real problem here, huh?

nel e nel

Jesus christ.

You could, I don't know ow, watch the video and see that he didn't use the word to refer to a person of African decent carelessly and instead used it as an insult for someone who pissed him off. Their is no other context for this. No one calls someone a "fucking nigger" and isn't racist.

Alucrid

Banned

he's not racist, he's just dumb swedish

get real, he's been making videos for how long? he lives on the internet. he full well knows what that word means.

This sounds like a defense for a very specific type of person that is not PewDiePie.

LAA

Well, as someone who thought the media were taking things out of context to discredit him, (which I still think was partly true, and I think how he and the media interacted with each other was pretty petty really), and the "joke" from a while back I didn't think was fair to classify as his own views necessarily, I don't think there's any defending this really, surprised he said it on a stream too. Seemed to be going on a downward spiral since losing the sponsors sadly.

I will say though, I don't know why people are insisting he must be child friendly. Why? Seemed clear to me he hasn't wanted to appeal to kids for a while, and it's just they're able to view him and mass amounts of kids seem to watch him, but same is true for them playing the likes of GTA, and no one complains Rockstar must watch what they put in GTA, and that's because, again, it isn't meant for them in the first place. Problem is the parents don't care or check out what they're being shown.

Oh man this post has it all PLUS the newest defense "black people don't care"

Wardancer

Neo Member

As a swede, he knows exactly what it means, why it shouldn't be used, and as someone with a bunch of dutch friends "neger" means the same thing there too. No excuses. (The dutch should also be really fucking aware what it means considering their past...)

Jesus fucking Christ are you serious?

You literally excused the use of the term, took a shot at people who don't "get it" and went to the tires "I have black friends" trope. Impressive

Fat4all

Banned

what the living fuck

GHG

Gold Member

I think the flytrap is full.

Can someone shake it out?

How many black friends do you think PewDiePie has who say "fucking nigger" all the time?

SeanTSC

This is an extreme level of bullshit. It's *always* racist.

Tagyhag

Guys, pleeeeaaaase read the thread lmao. You're like lemmings.

No "black friend" is going to let you say nigger. And even if they did, that doesn't make it OK.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Some people wanna argue just for the sake of arguing. Dont do that. Especially when you're defending racism and intolerance. Just stop.

Throw the fucking book at pewdiepie, why are people trying to rationalize and defend what he said? Its not something anyone should be defending "ignorant European dumbass" and "heated gaming moment" or not. Just fucking stop.

As a Swede. I can tell you that "neger" is used here as well. But that doesn't help him in any way, everyone in Sweden knows that both neger and nigger shouldn't be used.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

What the fuck is this bullshit? Good lord

Anung

Un Rama
It's ok guys, he was just in the moment. It happens all the time to me too when I get really upset. I just say things tongue and cheek and don't actually mean it! Fuck this lame excuse and fuck you if you think it's ok to talk like this.

But we all say things we don't mean in the heat of the moment guys! Just the other day I stubbed my toe and shouted "maybe 9/11 WAS an inside job" ...something I'd never say usually. It's just the heat of the moment guys.

ItS JuST HEet oF tHe MOmEnt GuYzzzz

This I don't get like I am not going to go in a UK or Germany thread talk like know shit but use the I'm from America gimmick.

The German equivalent of n***r means the exact same and is no less offensive than the English version. It's a 100% fail-safe way to spot a racist. These excuses are dogshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom