• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have a lot of black friends sometimes it just happens.
They say it all the damn time it's only natural to repeat what you hear.

It just rolls off the tongue.

Oftentimes its not even meant to be racists even though it's of racist origins.
But most people 100% ignore that.

I don't get the impression that he has any black friends.

And if he did, I wonder how they'd feel if he screamed at them "what a fucking N" when they died in a video game.

Whatever pills you are on, I think they should be banned from use

Lmao this thread is even more wild than I imagined... you got peeps in here carrying water uphill both ways for this guy, a guy who just called someone a "fucking nigger". 👌🏻

And we got the "hood pass" defense now. I've almost got "why can't I say it" bingo
Oh it was in here, so your card is complete.

You know what, I know it's only September, but you sir/ma'am have won!

Congratulation for winning the prestigious Gaf dumbass 2017 post of the year! Your prize is in the mail !

Edit JESUS FUCKING CHRIST I CANT

Tain

it's very brave and reflective of his respect for his black friends when the the shrieking rich white gamer boy with tons of youth fans says the n word

Biske

Didn't that happened with Kramer's actor, from Seinfeld?

More or less. But I think it was pretty clear that Kramer knew he fucked up and was totally wrong and made the worst of a bad situation.

I don't think this crowd of internet dipshits actually think they are in the wrong or have any sense of guilt or regret.

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

It is obviously very undesireable for someone as influential as PewDiePie to signal it's okay to use the word willy-nilly. But all the comments instantly condemning PewDiePie as clearly racist have it wrong. I've only seen proof he's insensitive and kind of a dick so far. Which is kind of his jazz.

To see where I'm coming from: in my native language, Dutch, the equivalent word "neger" lacks the same connotation as "nigger" does in English. Sure the Dutch kept slaves way back in the day so there's a similar history there, but it just so happens that the word (not the principle of racism or slavery) was normalised over the years and became a pretty inoffensive way to refer to someone with black skin. It's only recently that people have become more sensitive to the word again as we start to realise it's a very bad word in English, which is a language we all speak to some extent nowadays. But Dutch people, when speaking English, will still say "nigger" sometimes and have no idea how it comes across.

PewDiePie, being Swedish, probably doesn't fully realise what it means to use that word. "He really should know better at this point", I hear you think, and you'd be right. But I can understand that using the word doesn't feel as significant as it would to any native speaker. He knows it's not really a good thing (which is why he doesn't use it all the time), but doesn't realise how offensive saying the word even once is to native speakers. It's ignorance.

It's possible he's also racist, I just wouldn't extrapolate that from the use of "nigger" by a non-native speaker. If he used it ten times in a row, then it least it would look like a statement of some sort, a very deliberate choice at the very least. But now he just seems like a kid who doesn't know what's what. As he usually does.

Some of you will likely take issue with my typing out of the "n-word" uncensored, which kind of proves my point: I don't really know where the line is as a non-native speaker. I just feel it's silly to censor it when it's obviously not meant as an insult.

He lives in England, has streamed online for years, and immediately tried to cover his tracks because he knew what he said was wrong. You don't slip out the n-word if you don't regularly use it.

Also why the fuck would you cape for him. Can you read his mind?

Also as a fellow Dutchman, Holland is racist af and you don't know what you're talking about

It is obviously very undesireable for someone as influential as PewDiePie to signal it's okay to use the word willy-nilly. But all the comments instantly condemning PewDiePie as clearly racist have it wrong. I've only seen proof he's insensitive and kind of a dick so far. Which is kind of his jazz.

To see where I'm coming from: in my native language, Dutch, the equivalent word "neger" lacks the same connotation as "nigger" does in English. Sure the Dutch kept slaves way back in the day so there's a similar history there, but it just so happens that the word (not the principle of racism or slavery) was normalised over the years and became a pretty inoffensive way to refer to someone with black skin. It's only recently that people have become more sensitive to the word again as we start to realise it's a very bad word in English, which is a language we all speak to some extent nowadays. But Dutch people, when speaking English, will still say "nigger" sometimes and have no idea how it comes across.

PewDiePie, being Swedish, probably doesn't fully realise what it means to use that word. "He really should know better at this point", I hear you think, and you'd be right. But I can understand that using the word doesn't feel as significant as it would to any native speaker. He knows it's not really a good thing (which is why he doesn't use it all the time), but doesn't realise how offensive saying the word even once is to native speakers. It's ignorance.

It's possible he's also racist, I just wouldn't extrapolate that from the use of "nigger" by a non-native speaker. If he used it ten times in a row, then it least it would look like a statement of some sort, a very deliberate choice at the very least. But now he just seems like a kid who doesn't know what's what. As he usually does.

Some of you will likely take issue with my typing out of the "n-word" uncensored, which kind of proves my point: I don't really know where the line is as a non-native speaker. I just feel it's silly to censor it when it's obviously not meant as an insult.

See, while this makes some technical sense, it only works as an excuse - a technical explanation for occurrence - rather than justification - an explanation that validates the action. The example of continental Europeans, whether they be Dutch or Swedish, using that word but not seeing it as offensive is kinda skewed by the fact that, relative to the Americas, European nations are still pretty damned white, and black people represent a smaller proportion of the population in terms of ethnicity - that there's less social consequence to the usage of the word does not make the word okay.

PDP, while Swedish, also has a heavy American fanbase, and currently lives in Brighton, an English city. If he is still ignorant of the implications of the word, then it would still be right to call him out for that ignorance, rather than excuse it as ignorance.

This is also not helped by the fact that this is hardly the first time - even this year - where he has gotten into controversy over what is, at best, the continuing ignorance of the dynamics of race and historical exploitation while being one of the most famous people on the world's largest streaming service. Given such, it is clear he is likely one of three things:
1) Super ignorant, and actively refusing to educate himself despite every controversy that comes his way.
2) Aware, but apathetic. Sees the usage of racially charged imagery and language as edgy and comedic, doesn't much care for the implications beyond that.
3) Actually racist. This does not prevent him from being funny or charming or even kind if the circumstances allow - such being how he has built up his fanbase. But it also does not absolve him.

None of those options paint a good picture, and Felix has regularly dug in his heels, seeing 'the media' and 'haters' as out to get him, rather than pause in self-reflection, bolstered by friends and fandom arguing the same.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

You actually buy into your own shit?

Heroman

Banned

Why do people make posts like this yet never return to the thread?

Beefy

Nope, the white people that hangs around me and other black people never say it. It is called not be racist or dumb mother fucker.

reKon

Banned

I was for sure thinking this was a joke post. But once I got to the end, I'm actually not sure

Your black friends say "nigger" all the time? I doubt it.

Fat4all

Banned
everyone knows the n-word just rolls off the tongue

i have to stop myself from saying it several times a day

at work, in the drive thru, at the post office, there's just so many opportunities to use it to relieve some stress

:/

Lmao this thread is even more wild than I imagined... you got peeps in here carrying water uphill both ways for this guy, a guy who just called someone a "fucking nigger". 👌🏻

Can't wait for the eventual "PDP just doesn't see color, he would call anybody the n-word whether they are black or white" defense.

JordanN

Banned
Mainly because the mods of this site tend to ban anyone giving off any other viewpoint...

The opposite of progressive is anti-science nonsense like flat earth, racism, homophobia/transphobia, sexism, climate change denial etc.

Even if you debate these people and try and change their minds, it's too late. Especially if we're talking people who sign up with burner accounts to explicitly troll with those viewpoints.

oni-link

ImpoliteSinfulBuzzard.gif

Come on

This isn't his first offense of being suspect, this is like his sixth. Nobody can defend this unless you've also got the same hate in your heart as he does. Pure and simple.

You. Don't. Get. To use. That. Word. If. You. Are. Not. Black.

Skilletor

Wow, "I have black friends" defense.

We must have a blackout on the bingo card, right?

Weird how, I'm black, have a lot of black friends, listen to hip-hop music all the time and yet never say the word. Ever.

So weird.

1. PewDiePie is trash and has always been trash,
2. If you resort to words like that when you're angry and it's your first reaction then you are comfortable using it and have to hide it when you are calmer.
3. If you're using it as a synonym for "asshole", why was that word your first reaction and not "asshole"? Why is "asshole" the correct you use?

If you've defended him the past, you also need to look at yourself, it's not like he kept his views secret, liked the attention too much to do that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
[is a 27 year old man with an enormous audience and gobs of money]

"go easy on him, he's just a kid!"

Biggest youtube persona around

"He doesnt know what hes doing!"

PewDiePie is not some ignorant child who just woke up yesterday. He is a 27 year old adult who has made his career as a celebrity on the internet. To try to defend this as just innocent trolling from someone who doesn't know any better is an insult to our intelligence, especially considering the shit he's been up to in the past. He doesn't have the benefit of the doubt.

CaptainClaw

But you don't put punching into your songs and TV shows do you? I'm not talking about how some people use the word, I'm talking pop culture in general. In China, where I'm from, I can tell you most people don't understand the subtle difference between ending with er or ending with a. Sure their English teacher may tell them it's a bad word. But would you rather believe your fifty year old English teacher or the new song came out last week?

I'm not defending this guy because I'm sure he knows better than a kid in China, but I think Amerucan pop culture is not helping, it's creating confusion.

What?...so if someone went to see a horror film about killing people and you know its wrong...its okay to imitate it because :
"Its that new movie that came out"

There's a saying my Dad use to tell me, if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it at all

It never "just happens." You aren't a fuckng baby. You have full control over your behavior. No one makes you say shit. If you choose to say something, that's on you and you alone. No one else controls what comes out of your mouth but you. That's no one's fault but your own, no matter how much you hear it.

Plus, this shit doesn't even pass the smell test. If someone really has that many black friends, it would be very clear to them why that wouldn't fly if they themselves would say it. Not that it even matters though. What you say is on you, on no else else. Fuck passing the buck and acting like "it's the black kids fault." No. No one made you say it but you. You know what you're doing.

If you're going to say it, at least fucking own that shit. That people want to say it, but are too cowardly to actually do so, and try to act like it's the fault of their "black friends" or rap music or whatever instead of their own choice says it all. That they're fine with saying it, but when called out say it's someone else's fault really says it all. If it's really so harmless, if it's not a big deal, why you trying to pass the buck in the first place? You know it is a big deal, and it is wrong, and that's why. No other way to read it.

Just pure nonsense through and through. If it's not meant to be racist, then why you are trying to pass the buck, and act like it's anyone else's fault then your own that your saying it? Why wouldn't you own that shit if that were true? That you try to say it's not meant to be racist, but pass the buck anyway says it all, evne if you don't realize it.

sphinx

the piano man
plenty of pro-PDP arguments here blow my mind.

BEFORE we argue about meanings, semantics and context:

why in the world is N***** part of your vocabulary in the first place? (worst of all, he can't use the "my grandparents said it casually so I learned" excuse)

why the fuck is it a word you allow your mouth to utter?

why the hell are you saying it open for the fucking world to hear/see it?

a combination of ignorance, racism and stupidity,

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

This thread....the gift that keeps on giving.

I have majority black friends and I have NEVER said the word, in any variance, in recent history. So you can get the fuck out of here with this.

Pewds is not racist, just a big stupid idiot who can't learn about his past mistakes.

That said, don't be a big stupid idiot who can't learn about his past mistakes.

This isn't his first offense of being suspect, this is like his sixth. Nobody can defend this unless you've also got the same hate in your heart as he does. Pure and simple.

You. Don't. Get. To use. That. Word. If. You. Are. Not. Black.

I don't think anybody should use it, in my perfect world nobody does, but this world isn't perfect and it's not my place to decide. So you're right, it's not hard and there is no "fair" or "unfair" about it

TL21xx

Banned
Very disappointing, but unfortunately not a surprise considering his history, and while I hope this craters his numbers, I sadly doubt it will.

My real concern is that it'll be another mark in the increasingly long list of antics that leads to companies dropping internet video advertising. A lot of solid content from other creators that relies on YT sponsorship is going to take a financial hit because of these shenanigans from the usual suspects, and that's exactly the scenario that kills a medium if platform owners don't step in and do some proper moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom