• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie calls someone a "fucking n****r" during PUBG livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.

luulubuu

Who cares if he hates people of color or women or whatever in his heart of hearts? Why do people think that it's whether you "mean it" that defines whether you are a racist or a misogynist or a disgusting, hateful human being?

I mean, if either your actions or your words defines you, what would do it?

Lime

European White people really need to take a seat on this one and stop making fools out of themselves and instead start to listen and get educated

Nere

I am a European and I don't understand other fellow Europeans defending Pewdiepie saying he probably didn't know what the word meant. He is a 27 year old guy who made his carreer out of the Internet. He is not a 15 year old boy, he is a full grown man. You really, honestly think he doesn't know what this word means? Either you are too naive or you are trying to stealth defend him. I am 100% sure he knew what the word meant and used it anyway. He is inexcusable.

pegaso

Neo Member
There are plenty of posts from people not in the US.

Man, all that quoting work for nothing. Yeah, some of us are aware of the connotations of the word and others aren't.

PDP UNDERSTANDS THE REAL MEANING OF IT. HE TRIED TO BACKTRACK INMEDIATELY. HE USED IT IN A CLEARLY PEJORATIVE WAY.

Spare yourself all that effort next time.

Helscream

Banned
It seems my previous post has been misinterpreted because people are too busy Virtue Signalling instead of understanding the context of what I am saying.

I will try one more time.

Also one can damn well understand how racial slurs should not be used without being born in nations where they are most applicable. That's a basic skill of comprehension and empathy.

A person may understand not to use a racial slur because its offensive. But you cannot equate deep knowledge that is aquired first-hand to knowledge that comes by being told about the subject.

did you watch the video? he knew he fucked up immediatly he knows the fucking connotations of the fucking word

He realized he "fucked up" because he thought about all the PR and $$$ it would cost him. Not the pain it may cause.

Fuck off with that bullshit. We fucking know what the god damn word means here (in Sweden), we don't live under a collective rock, the word is taboo as fuck as are its siblings. Even without historical context we know it's a curse-word implying you're a lesser being for being African.

With what bullshit? Do you live here in the United States? Have grown up with racial tension that exist within America? Specifically the grievances of Black Americans. Whatever knowledge you may have does not compare to those who lived with it in the United States.

So are you saying he has no context for using the word nigger other than that he probably heard it so much while playing online that it just became a part of his vernacular? Is this satire?

No this is not satire. This is a simple statement of observation. The only context PewDiePie has with the N-Word is the bad PR and Money it will cost him. He is just as retarded as the rest of the internet clowns that don't understand the dark legacy the N-word carries in American history.

My point is that as long as black people exist, it's impossible that the origins of the word nigger as a racial slur will ever be forgotten, because people will not stop using it to hurt them. They never have. The idea of it just morphing into a generic online multiplayer slur is kind of absurd. Black people use the internet for fuck's sake. We all communicate with each other through this medium.

To further clarify I was specifically speaking of the online gaming community. I did not say the history of the word would be forgotten generally speaking. And while it was somewhat of a rhetorical question (neither was it to be taken seriously). The word "Nigger" is thrown around so carelessly on mutliplayer games is it not a legitimate question to ask "Do these young people not know American history? "

They use the word in Europe too . Where they had colonies for centuries. It's not just American history you would have to be beyond ignorant to not know.

The word "Nigger" is a English word. The United States is a English-Speaking country. PewDiePie did not use "Negro" or "Niger" or any other language variation of the racial slur. The English variant of the racial slur he did use reacts no stronger than in any country besides America. When you say the N-Word the ethnic group of people you are effecting the most are Americans who are dark in skin complexion. It is specific to a Ethnic group of people relating, originating, and most frequently used during a specific portion of American history.

TL,DR

PewDiePie is Swedish born Internet personality who lives in the UK. What does the fuck does he know about American History? Nothing. Neither does care about the legitimate grievances of Americans within the Black Community.

This will be my final contribution to this thread.

Vashu

There are plenty of posts from people not in the US.

Seriously, feigning ignorance is just unacceptable. Of course people in Europe know. We've known for a long time. I listened to 2Pac, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang, Busta Rhymes in the 90s and even back then people knew that the n-word was a racial slur.

Don't try to act dumb or use it as a defense or excuse for his blatant racist behaviour.

Edit: To clarify, my country has their own version of the word with only two letters difference.

He shouldn't be using the word. Not after the Nazi fiasco.

PDP needs to grow up but when you're cloistered in that world of twatty annoying "performance" and living with the idea that he is a superstar, I wonder if he can.

I think it falls entirely to Twitch to do something. Language like that is bannable, but it depends how long they can ban him for

He should get perma'd, but could you imagine the shitfest that would ensue

This was on youtube though. If youtube bans him, he can always still hop onto twitch or any other platform that'll take him.

oti

Banned
I am a European and I don't understand other fellow Europeans defending Pewdiepie saying he probably didn't know what the word meant. He is a 27 year old guy who made his carreer out of the Internet. You really, honestly think he doesn't know what this word means? Either you are too naive or you are trying to stealth defend him. I am 100% sure he knew what the word meant and used it anyway. He is inexcusable.

I'm not really sure how Europeans would get comfortable enough with that word to put it in their repertoire. I've never heard anyone use it in person. Ever.

I am a European and I don't understand other fellow Europeans defending Pewdiepie saying he probably didn't know what the word meant. He is a 27 year old guy who made his carreer out of the Internet. He is not a 15 year old boy, he is a full grown man. You really, honestly think he doesn't know what this word means? Either you are too naive or you are trying to stealth defend him. I am 100% sure he knew what the word meant and used it anyway. He is inexcusable.

Yeah, it's the second worst excuse after "it's just a word". It's just completely false and you are very unlikely to hear the word in Europe unless you're looking for it corners where you expect it to drop with some regularity by people who know exactly what they're doing.

Ivan 3414

Let’s be real, Ethan is exactly the kind of person that would use the n-word “ironically” in private, so of course he’s not going to take PDP to task for this.

Ethan has publicly said "nigga" in his early videos and I just pulled up a tweet from his wife using the word. Doubt he will ever even mention/defend PDP's use unless he want his card pulled.

I'm now just getting annoyed when I'm looking around twitter and seeing all these dumb excuses from people trying to defend him. Why can't people just accept that what he said was absolutely racist, no excuses and because of that although you can't say for sure he likely is a racist himself.

7975836bc9639b32c834a0c33dace24caca4c3e8_hq.gif

Too bad the mods can't delete Pewdiepie from existence as well.

13ruce

Banned
I am a European and I don't understand other fellow Europeans defending Pewdiepie saying he probably didn't know what the word meant. He is a 27 year old guy who made his carreer out of the Internet. You really, honestly think he doesn't know what this word means? Either you are too naive or you are trying to stealth defend him. I am 100% sure he knew what the word meant and used it anyway. He is inexcusable.

Yea he speaks English like a native/primary language so it's insane people use that as a excuse.

It seems my previous post has been misinterpreted because people are too busy Virtue Signalling instead of understanding the context of what I am saying.

I will try one more time.

TL,DR

PewDiePie is Swedish born Internet personality who lives in the UK. What does the fuck does he know about American History? Nothing. Neither does care about the legitimate grievances of Americans within the Black Community.

Hopefully it's your final "contribution" to this site.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Who cares if he hates people of color or women or whatever in his heart of hearts? Why do people think that it's whether you "mean it" that defines whether you are a racist or a misogynist or a disgusting, hateful human being?

I think it's important to distinguish the idiots who think listening to Rap gives them free reign over the word and the actual hateful, ugly, sick and twisted people who believe they're superior because of the colour of their skin.

Nere

I'm not really sure how Europeans would get comfortable enough with that word to put it in their repertoire. I've never heard anyone use it in person. Ever.

I haven't heard it either but we live in the 21st century talking in forums with many people from the USA, that is how I learnt what that word meant. I am sure Pewdiepie learnt it the same way, he based his career on the internet, he is no stranger to it.

TL,DR

If that's your TL;DR, I'm glad I didn't read the rest of your post. Like others have said, he's an adult with a computer.

And being in the UK hurts his case, not helps it.

jtb

Banned
I think it's important to distinguish the idiots who think listening to Rap gives them free reign over the word and the actual hateful, ugly, sick and twisted people who believe they're superior because of the colour of their skin.

If some idiot who listens to rap doesn't have the empathy to understand why they shouldn't use a racist slur, then maybe those two groups aren't as far apart as you think.

Intel_89

Yeaaaah, this is pretty bad. I wonder if this'll make things even worse for creators on youtube in regard to ad money and whatnot.

Don't be fucking dense. You know as well as I do that N-word is not exclusive to America. At this point it is the alpha and omega racial slur of western society. This isn't some esoteric epithet. Especially when you take into account that the U.K. is home to a wave of white nationalist internet presence similar to the US.

The people doing mental gymnastics to defend this fuck boy are almost as bad as he is.

luulubuu

TL,DR

Indeed.

oti

Banned
I haven't heard it either but we live in the 21st century talking in forums with many people from the USA, that is how I learnt what that word meant. I am sure Pewdiepie learnt it the same way, he based his career on the internet, he is no stranger to it.

I know. Who doesn't know what it means? I'm saying I have no idea how someone especially outside of the US could get accustomed to that word to a degree to just "let it slip" unintentionally. It's just a bad excuse.

I don't even use the word fucking. It's just unnatural for my language sense.

lol imagine writing that much just to try and say someone who is using racial slurs can't possibly know what they mean

how fucking stupid can some people be

anyone pretending that the n word is a uniquely american slur are being intentionally dishonest

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Man, all that quoting work for nothing. Yeah, some of us are aware of the connotations of the word and others aren't.

PDP UNDERSTANDS THE REAL MEANING OF IT. HE TRIED TO BACKTRACK INMEDIATELY. HE USED IT IN A CLEARLY PEJORATIVE WAY.

Spare yourself all that effort next time.
You're not aware of the conversation I was replying to, but cute post.

kiguel182

Theres a Portuguese hip hop song where 4 white dudes do like a comedy sketch and use the word (abbreviated). They aren't from the band, the band is made of black people. I don't think this would fly in the US.

I don't think the word having less meaning in Europe is false, at least from my anedoctical perspective.

It's not a defense of this dude, and it shouldn't be used as such, but it's also not a lie I don't think.

Found a longer video (downloaded it just in case) having both instances of Pewdiepie saying the N word:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ro_wpRKpTU
0:35 and 4:42

He doesn't apologise or have any remorse. He just doesn't care. Whoever that other dude is in the stream is just enabling him even more. These white privileged racist trolls who don't have to care about anything.

He totally apologized: "Sometimes, I forget that I'm streaming."

In other words: "I'm sorry that I let my mask drop for a second and exposed my racist views in a way that I can't backpedal or obfuscate."

There seems to be a ton of disingenuous reporting on this whole thing, and not for why you'd think. We ought to stop minimising what he did as a simple 'Pewdiepie says the N word' story - he called someone "a fucking n****r". There must be a way we can hammer that home. Because, honestly, it seems so many of the people reading these stories won't even watch for the context of that word and how he meant it. They seem to read it as a slip. It's just unacceptable.

Everyday it's sinking in that these are the people who are raising our kids when we're not looking. It's an open door to the worst kind of behaviour and intolerance and it seriously disturbs me.

Nere

I know. Who doesn't know what it means? I'm saying I have no idea how someone especially outside of the US could get accustomed to that word to a degree to just "let it slip" unintentionally. It's just a bad excuse.

Ah that is what you mean. Yeah I have never used it either and I have never heard it used in my country, I just know it's meaning from the internet. A word doesn't just slip by accident if you have never used it.

Wanchan

I think all people really meant is that the word carry less weight here in Europe, not trying to defend this guy or even excused what he said, that's all.

I personally don't care about what he said as long as it's not directed at someone but only at a video game, I would be pissed if he was saying that word at someone, I don't like racist fucks, I've heard my fair share of "fucking jap" online so I know the feeling when it's directed toward a person, but if I hear someone killing a samurai in For Honor, saying "fucking jap" I wouldn't mind at all...but that's just me and my sensibility, to each their own.

kiguel182

People take a lot from movies and songs and without proper context or education it sticks. I've definetly seen it happen.

I've adopted English words and phrases simply because I spend a lot of time online.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
If some idiot who listens to rap doesn't have the empathy to understand why they shouldn't use a racist slur, then maybe those two groups aren't as far apart as you think.

Maybe...

The word really should be stricken out of the public domain/collective consciousness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom