• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to PS4. Will be playable at TGS.

Bio

Not surprised, still a little sad though. A PS4 release was like the last posisble chance for it to come to the west, so now the dream, however unlikely it was, is truly dead.

Kadin

They obviously have other data that we don't but it just makes zero sense to me that they're so reluctant to release outside of Japan. All I ever see is people begging for it everywhere I go. Maybe that number is still very low but it still boggles my mind.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They obviously have other data that we don't but it just makes zero sense to me that they're so reluctant to release outside of Japan. All I ever see is people begging for it everywhere I go. Maybe that number is still very low but it still boggles my mind.
To quote myself from the announcement thread:
I'm guessing that it's not the localization that's the problem, it's managing a game - you need to set up a payment system, translate regular patches for years, have a support/gm team, license collaborations etc.
Also remember that it's a f2p game. If it came to the West do you think that many people would pay to play Scratch or just keep playing for free, like most of the English speaking crowd does on the Japanese server?

Yeah, where did things go wrong?

How, in a decade, did we go from PSUniverse being THE 360 game (Up until Halo 3 and CoD4 came out), to Phantasy Star being on Sega's "Do not localize" list?

And the F2P model can work just fine if Sega knows what they're doing. Through effective marketing (A dark art Sega has long forgotten) and effective rework of microtransactions to adapt the game for Rest of the World markets, they could have had a success on their hands, especially if they could achieve the levels of content-parity that Square Enix maintains with Final Fantasy XIV.

Freeman76

GUTTED this isn't coming out in the West. Enough for me to boycott anything Segas stupid arse puts out in the future

How, in a decade, did we go from PSUniverse being THE 360 game (Up until Halo 3 and CoD4 came out), to Phantasy Star being on Sega's "Do not localize" list?

And the F2P model can work just fine if Sega knows what they're doing. Through effective marketing (A dark art Sega has long forgotten) and effective rework of microtransactions to adapt the game for Rest of the World markets, they could have had a success on their hands, especially if they could achieve the levels of content-parity that Square Enix maintains with Final Fantasy XIV.

I mean, there's a lot of reasons, but one of the main ones is that the bolded was never true to begin with.

Cmagus

GUTTED this isn't coming out in the West. Enough for me to boycott anything Segas stupid arse puts out in the future

I'm over it at this point but Sega pissed me off enough with this that I'll never support anything their company does going forward they can seriously get lost.

Piccoro

Who cares if it doesn't come to the west? The PS4 is region-free, and if Sega releases an English version in Asian territories (like the PC version), we can play it anyway.

pizzacat

Banned

Are you mistake PSU for gears of war, I think you are

Teletraan1

Banned
I never understand why these games in particular don't get localized. They aren't some narrative driven 80hr jrpg. Admittedly I only played Blue Burst but that just consisted of doing the same areas over and over on higher difficulty with a handful of missions that were just delivered in text form. The game is an exercise in repetition. There isn't much content to localize. Does sega not have any server infrastructure in NA/EU?

"Not currently". People need to contact Gio Corsi and make this happen. The dude helped make Shenmue 3 happen (along with Ryan Payton and Adam Boyes), so people really need to Tweet Gio about their interest with this game! Force SEGA's hand once again.

Piccoro

Don't they IP block people that aren't from those regions though?

It's extremely rare for a PSN game to be IP blocked.
Off the top of my head, the only game I remember being blocked was PS3's Karaoke game Joysound. And even that one was replaced by an unblocked version now...

It's extremely rare for a PSN game to be IP blocked.
Off the top of my head, the only game I remember being blocked was PS3's Karaoke game Joysound. And even that one was replaced by an unblocked version now...

It's a realm only COG (Capcom Online) really makes use of.
Monster Hunter Frontier, Dragon's Dogma Online, etc, are all ip blocked.

Don't they IP block people that aren't from those regions though?

Sega doesn't.
There were some ISP-related networking shenanigans in the wake of a major DDoS attack last summer, but that has been cleared up.

Teletraan1

Banned
This does actually kinda invalidate your view on this tbh. Blue Burst was a loooong time ago, and much has changed since then.

So the game is very dialog heavy now? I just don't think even with a modernization of the series that it would be a huge task to localize. Yakuza sure, but a loot game with a basic narrative...I don't see it.

Wonko_C

So the game is very dialog heavy now? I just don't think even with a modernization of the series that it would be a huge task to localize. Yakuza sure, but a loot game with a basic narrative...I don't see it.

It has an ever-expanding story mode with full voice acting (not to mention branching paths), aside from that there is a lot of text in the form of client orders (side quests), item descriptions, side stories, tutorial texts, and probably a lot of stuff I'm forgetting.

Sophia

It's very very dialogue heavy. Nothing like the minimalist approach taken by classic PSO at all. Even the fan translation has numerous amounts of minor NPC dialogue un-translated because there's just so much of it.

Also remember that it's a f2p game. If it came to the West do you think that many people would pay to play Scratch or just keep playing for free, like most of the English speaking crowd does on the Japanese server?

To be fair, early on it wasn't as easy to buy stuff for the game. Also, I imagine lots of people don't know that PSO2es can be used to buy Arks Cash, or that Arks Layer sells it.

Synth

The games have had significantly more dialog since Phantasy Star Universe (edit: actually PSO Ep III was very dialog heavy too), and that dialog grows continuously as the game itself does. I'm not as sure about PSO2 as I only played it for a short while near launch, but Universe and all the Portable games were easily comparable to typical jRPGs. PSO2 has multiple story arcs, so I'd imagine it's probably a similar case there.

There's obviously more of a barrier than just translation though. You translate Yakuza and you're done. For PSO2, you need to run the service itself, have GMs, provide constant updates, sort out a payment system, work out how to handle crossover promotions (for IPs that are often not very relevant in the west), etc.

I mean, I still think Sega fucking suck for not sorting it out regardless... but at the same time I can see why something like Yakuza is a simpler process.

Freeman76

Who cares if it doesn't come to the west? The PS4 is region-free, and if Sega releases an English version in Asian territories (like the PC version), we can play it anyway.

This is not going to happen, simple. And even so, you have to go through all the aggravation of setting up a JP PSN account. So I care if it doesn't come to the West, thank you very much!

I can understand not localizing it. What I'll never understand is announcing a localization and then going silent for years about it, and insisting it's still coming when asked about it. It's totally bizarre.

Just announce that it's canceled in the West and be done with it already. Nothing good has come out of giving fans false hope. All it does is embitter them and make them reluctant to trust you in the future.

Vex_

Banned
You would think they would have reconsidered by now seeing Destiny do whatever numbers it did, with a more aggressive payment model.

I dont see how they cant think it wouldnt have been profitable -- this game is literally Destiny minus PvP.

Everything else matches pound for pound with Destiny:
-Mission "random events"
-gear treadmill
-Guns, guns, and more guns.
-Bosses galore (raids)
-"hunter's hub"

Everything else is better:
-Character creation
-Character customization
-Swords, dual pistols, tons of different weapons beyond gunsVergil like dmc combos, weapon switching combos etc...
-3rd person, so you can see your character
-Actual text chat

Freeman76

This is not going to happen, simple. And even so, you have to go through all the aggravation of setting up a JP PSN account. So I care if it doesn't come to the West, thank you very much!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll share my short impressions from Thursday, when I was able to play the game during the TGS:
I was able to talk for a but with Sakai-san from Sega about PSO2 for PS4 - confirmed to looked better, the PC version “might” get an engine upgrade. Played like PSO2
It's kind of funny, how they announced the engine upgrade a few hours later, but I'm not surprised that they don't want any uncontrolled leaks.

I personally like the improved graphics and the game was really smooth on the PS4. Can't wait.

Ricker

I dont understand why they arent releasing it in N.A...wasnt PSO on the DC and then GC a huge success...? it was amazing,ahead of its time etc etc...so sad by this.

androvsky

The posts talking about the costs involved with running a f2p game probably have a good point. Sega in the west, especially the US, has been gutted pretty hard since PSO 2 was announced. Even stuff like Yakuza is translated by an outside firm and localization programming is handled by the original team iirc.

I don't know how sound it actually is, but there's a theory that Sega West was going to fund some of these major localization efforts with profits from their cash-cow Aliens franchise, and when Colonial Marines flopped they had to cut way back, both in people and plans. And Sega Japan probably wasn't interested in saving the western branch from their own mistakes, even if it would've meant more income overall.

Would a publisher with multiple MMORPGs under their name , like Nexon or Trion, ever pick up this kind of thing if they thought the potential was there?

Top Bottom