• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to PS4. Will be playable at TGS.

Hotsuma

It's not happening.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218481

This was originally posted BEFORE Nova came out, which has yet to see western release either. Methinks Sega has canned the IP in the west.

I guess we'll have to see if Haruki Satomi will live up to his words.

Well, if that is the case then I guess it is what it is. I really would have liked to play an official version of the game in the US. I had a lot of fun on the DC and Xbox versions and enjoyed what I played of JPN PSO2. It just seemed wrong to have the sequel locked away from the new consoles, then announce a US version of the PSO2 then indefinitely delay it in the hopes that people would just forget about it.

Nerokis

Well, damn.
Putting on PS4 would have been the perfect reason to bring it to the West (dat userbase)

He's referring to the post on the previous page that quoted someone claiming the localization of PSO2 was cancelled. Apparently that individual was impersonating a Sega employee.

I was just thinking about this yesterday and today it gets announced. I'm not gonna get excited until they announce a localization AND date.

Man, put it on steam and psn in English, dont horde the best games japan :/

That ship has already sailed. Most of the hardcore English fanbase (read: the people Sega's going to be selling lots and lots of Arks Cash to) have already been playing it and won't leave to join the hypothetical NA server. Sega's well aware of all the gaijin claiming to live in their broom closet, and those fans haven't forgotten Sega's treatment of NA servers in the past.

"Best" is also being pretty generous to PSO2.

pants

^I've put in around 400 hours, but I'll still re-roll for true localization if there is content parity.

Kalentan

But but but...Phantasy Star series did well on Xbox. :[

I think between PS4 - Vita - PC cross play and the fact that XBO is a failure in Japan kind of made it unlikely of returning. I mean in some ways it's surprising the PS4 is getting a release since afaik I don't think it's doing good either?

At this point I'd settle for an HD port of PSO Ep. 1 and 2 on XBLA and PSN.

PSO BB remastered as PSO Anniversary with full online play. :) Would do it. Even though I already play on NeoPSO. :D

prwxv3

But but but...Phantasy Star series did well on Xbox. :[

The days where Xbox platforms had a significant japanese game audience to justify a xbox port is long gone bro. Japanese pubs don't need the xbone for every game now (exceptions being MGS, ect.) to appeal to the western audience anymore. Anyway its not like SEGA is going to localize this anyway lol.

Battlechili

Banned
This is fantastic news, and I"m glad that the game isn't going to be dead anytime soon.But is this new PSO2 news going to lead to a Western release? Its taken forever and anytime anyone asks SEGA just says its delayed.
I'm really worried at this point.

VariantX

^I've put in around 400 hours, but I'll still re-roll for true localization if there is content parity.

Sega, in the entire history of PSO games, has never done content parity, nor had they made any effort to get better at it as far as I know. They just took people's subscription fees every month yet we didn't get the same level of service as their home markets did.

AmyS

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to PS4

But is it coming out in the west? Time to see if Sega is actually going to listen to fans.

Vqvzclp.png

The main issue with localizing this game would be the monetization. The costumes offer no gameplay advantages aside from isolated situations (swimsuits making PSE occur slightly more often), and most of the income is made through collaborations. This month is Guilty Gear and Blazblue which wouldn't be a stretch to get the rights for outside of Japan, but the other stuff? No chance. They'd either have to jack up the prices on the cash shop, or make the game pay-to-win like the SEA version with its costumes that have stats on them. The Japanese version is easy enough to get into aside from the hurdles of making the account and loading it with AC, and I'm sure SOA knows that they'd always be compared to whatever content the JP server is getting. If they started the game at episode 3 (obviously much more work and initial localization costs), perhaps they could be only a few months behind the JP server, but the chances of that are slim.

Overall the game is great if you want an MMO without the usual sluggish combat. The combat has modern action game mechanics like jump, dash, and guard canceling. Each class is unique and while the balancing isn't the best at times, it doesn't matter too much since there's no PvP.

Cmagus

The main issue with localizing this game would be the monetization. The costumes offer no gameplay advantages aside from isolated situations (swimsuits making PSE occur slightly more often), and most of the income is made through collaborations. This month is Guilty Gear and Blazblue which wouldn't be a stretch to get the rights for outside of Japan, but the other stuff? No chance. They'd either have to jack up the prices on the cash shop, or make the game pay-to-win like the SEA version with its costumes that have stats on them. The Japanese version is easy enough to get into aside from the hurdles of making the account and loading it with AC, and I'm sure SOA knows that they'd always be compared to whatever content the JP server is getting. If they started the game at episode 3 (obviously much more work and initial localization costs), perhaps they could be only a few months behind the JP server, but the chances of that are slim.

Overall the game is great if you want an MMO without the usual sluggish combat. The combat has modern action game mechanics like jump, dash, and guard canceling. Each class is unique and while the balancing isn't the best at times, it doesn't matter too much since there's no PvP.

I think the game would do well in the west as a F2P game on PS4. There are plenty of F2P games on PS4 now that do quite well, Warframe is a good example. I really don't see why they would have to change the monetization from the JP version plenty of games use the same "packs" model now it really isn't anything different.

In terms of content I honestly wouldn't mind if they started with the original content plus a few updates I don't see why the NA version has to be on par with the JP version I mean it would be nice but at least they can bring it over and have enough extra content to release for awhile to see how the game fares over here. I would say it would be a risky gamble but PSU did well over here and the Xbox 360 and PS2 versions were usually very busy (I played the 360 version) and it was usually very active.

It's a real shame this hasn't come here yet it's a fantastic game and it's probably the one game I would drop everything for. I do play the JP version from time to time but I'd just prefer a NA version without all the hassle of buying expensive point cards to play.

kiryogi

Banned
I think the game would do well in the west as a F2P game on PS4. There are plenty of F2P games on PS4 now that do quite well, Warframe is a good example. I really don't see why they would have to change the monetization from the JP version plenty of games use the same "packs" model now it really isn't anything different.

In terms of content I honestly wouldn't mind if they started with the original content plus a few updates I don't see why the NA version has to be on par with the JP version I mean it would be nice but at least they can bring it over and have enough extra content to release for awhile to see how the game fares over here. I would say it would be a risky gamble but PSU did well over here and the Xbox 360 and PS2 versions were usually very busy (I played the 360 version) and it was usually very active.

It's a real shame this hasn't come here yet it's a fantastic game and it's probably the one game I would drop everything for. I do play the JP version from time to time but I'd just prefer a NA version without all the hassle of buying expensive point cards to play.

There's actually zero hassle or point cards involved to pay for PSO2JP now. You just need PSO2es on your phone. You can pay Arks Cash directly with your CC via Google Play

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Should have been out in 2014 : /

Is the game good?Any limitations because of f2p?
I haven't played it in years, but it's a good standalone game and a fantastic sequel to PSO.

Not sure if they've changed anything since I last played, but the monetization model was very lenient.

The sub for the game got you a personal housing room, extra storage, xp/item drop buffs, the ability to trade with other people and sell items to other players. Some of these were available for free via 3 day passes you could get by logging in and getting lucky via the free daily scratch off ticket.

You could also buy permanent extra storage, character slots, respec (skills or appearance), or alt skill trees a la carte.

Most of their money probably comes from the real cash scratch off tickets they have in game. All the fancy vanity gear are locked behind them (cosmetic armor/costumes, alt voice packs, extra emotes, etc...). All that stuff was sellable on the player shops though so if you didn't like something you got you could just dump it in the player shop to recoup some gil and buy something you really wanted using it.

Gameplay wise the only thing that was a bit frustrating due to the f2p model was the free storage amount they provided. A lot of the quests require X amount of drops from specific enemies and it eventually becomes overwhelming to manage it with the low storage space. This wouldn't be a big deal if the game gets here and they continue selling permanent inventory space though.

Cmagus

There's actually zero hassle or point cards involved to pay for PSO2JP now. You just need PSO2es on your phone. You can pay Arks Cash directly with your CC via Google Play

I see, I didn't know this I will have to look into it but I still want a NA version.

Ogni-XR21

I played PSO2 for the first 6 months after it's release and by then there was not really any cross promotion stuff. But even back then I felt like there would have been some big changes to be made in order for it to appeal to western audiences. I consider myself a PSO fan but some of it was just too Japanese for my taste.
While I did pay appr. $30 for more item space and a bit of other stuff that helps make the game less basic, I would never have spent a dime on that costume lottery thingy.

If this was to come to the west it would need some serious adjustment for this market and adding this to the costs of running the server I just don't see it being a business decision that makes sense for Sega.

Top Bottom