• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to PS4. Will be playable at TGS.

Good lord people.
The game has been translated for quite awhile.
Just download the PC version and install the patches.
You'll be up and running in no time.

Just cleared a bunch of HDD space so I might hop back on for Episode IV.

Sophia

I'm still baffled that it took this long for PSO2 to hit a console. But whatever, SEGA's doing the right thing. PSO2 on the TV will be awesome, especially because it's far easier to move my PS4 around. ><

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm still baffled that it took this long for PSO2 to hit a console. But whatever, SEGA's doing the right thing. PSO2 on the TV will be awesome, especially because it's far easier to move my PS4 around. ><
The Vita version has been out for ages, f2p mmos haven't been huge and the install base on the PS4 still isn't as big as in the West.

Sophia

The Vita version has been out for ages, f2p mmos haven't been huge and the install base on the PS4 still isn't as big as in the West.

Yeah, I've got it on Vita thanks to a friend. It's pretty fantastic there despite the fact that you're sectioned off from 2/3rds of the players. But it still seems really baffling that this game wasn't on the PS3 as well.

Either way, this is a win. The game is utterly fantastic with a controller as is, and given the Vita's exclusive touchscreen features I can't wait to see what they do with the touchpad proper.

PSO2 never showing up in the West is probably due to all the licensed crossover promotions. Just this month there was a Blazblue promotion where you can get costumes, hairstyles and voices of several Blazblue characters, and later this month there will be a Guilty Gear promotion too.

They can limit access to certain materials if they segregate the region servers.
In PSU, on the JP server, in my room, I had a 7-11 poster, a Fanta machine, and a life-sized statue of Colonel Sanders...

As far as translation efforts are concerned, the SEA version is not great at all, but I'd still put it in the "serviceable" camp.
They definitely would need to put some effort into brushing up the story and dialog as it was translated.
The main problem is that the SEA version is literally a couple years behind in a lot of the content channels.

nikos

The Asian PC version is already translated.
SEGA recently said they've "learned."

There's only one course of action here.

It's never going to happen, but maybe there will be an Asian version in English that we can import.

Sophia

All of you hoping for a localization are potentially setting yourself up for disappointment. When you consider the licensed cross-promotional stuff, the F2P nature of the game, and the fact that the people who wanted to spend money on it are already playing the Japanese version with the fan translation.... well, not saying it's impossible. But the chances are incredibly small. It would be very hard for SEGA to convince players who have spent real money to completely abandon their characters for what would absolutely be an inferior version of the game. :\

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The Asian PC version is already translated.
SEGA recently said they've "learned."

There's only one course of action here.

It's never going to happen, but maybe there will be an Asian version in English that we can import.
If there's an Asian version my guess is that it would be connecting to the SEA server, which are region blocked (which isn't even the biggest of its problems).

All of you hoping for a localization are potentially setting yourself up for disappointment. When you consider the licensed cross-promotional stuff, the F2P nature of the game, and the fact that the people who wanted to spend money on it are already playing the Japanese version with the fan translation.... well, not saying it's impossible. But the chances are incredibly small. It would be very hard for SEGA to convince players who have spent real money to completely abandon their characters for what would absolutely be an inferior version of the game. :\

Thats horrible logic.

I'm on the internet all the time and even I didn't know there was a fully translated fan version of PSO2 you could play on the PC.

So nah, I doubt very many people even know that exists. You'd have a shit ton more sales for the game if it was up on Steam on the front page fully translated and on the Playstation 4 / Vita here in the west sitting in a best buy or gamestop waiting to be bought ( its F2P though right? ) and front and center on PSN

A PS4 port is basically confirming a localization these days and with Sega saying they're gonna be awesome again and likely noticing the f2p/mmo boom on PS4 I'm expecting this to come over.

-I very much want to play this but never bothered to get it working on my pc.
-What cross promo stuff? It's not like they can't be removed for the western release
-PS4 has some huge f2p communities like Warframe, War Thunder, DCUO so why wouldn't PSO2 work?

Thats horrible logic.

I'm on the internet all the time and even I didn't know there was a fully translated fan version of PSO2 you could play on the PC.

So nah, I doubt very many people even know that exists. You'd have a shit ton more sales for the game if it was up on Steam on the front page fully translated and on the Playstation 4 / Vita here in the west sitting in a best buy or gamestop waiting to be bought.

This.

Now confirm a western release & I'm in.

They did.
In 2012.
Sort of.
Then they did again.
Then they delayed it.
Then they delayed it again.
Then they delayed it indefinitely...

pZ9WwXI.gif

I've moved past being mad Sega never brought it to the west and am more mad they said they would, then lied about it and continue to lie about it when asked.

Sophia

Thats horrible logic.

So nah, I doubt very many people even know that exists. You'd have a shit ton more sales for the game if it was up on Steam on the front page fully translated and on the Playstation 4 / Vita here in the west sitting in a best buy or gamestop waiting to be bought ( its F2P though right? ) and front and center on PSN
-What cross promo stuff? It's not like they can't be removed for the western release
-PS4 has some huge f2p communities like Warframe, War Thunder, DCUO so why wouldn't PSO2 work?

For what it's worth, there's probably a much better chance now that there's a PS4 version coming. I do agree with you on the PS4 having a lot of F2P games/communities. One reason I've been pretty vocal about wanting PSO2 on the PS4 is precisely because it's a much higher quality game than any of those with a much better F2P business model.

That being said, there's still a significant ton of players playing the Japanese version, and I doubt SEGA is about ready to throw them under the bus for potential profits. I would hope they find a solution for these players. The best solution would be to take the same route FFXIV has. Have both Japanese and English servers, but allow players to play on any of them. That would allow anyone currently playing the Japanese version to spend a few bucks and jump ship over to the English servers.

For what it's worth, there's probably a much better chance now that there's a PS4 version coming. I do agree with you on the PS4 having a lot of F2P games/communities. One reason I've been pretty vocal about wanting PSO2 on the PS4 is precisely because it's a much higher quality game than any of those with a much better F2P business model.

That being said, there's still a significant ton of players playing the Japanese version, and I doubt SEGA is about ready to throw them under the bus for potential profits. I would hope they find a solution for these players.

throw them under the bus how?

Sony supports cross-play so they could simply have cross-play and let those PC players use their characters on the PS4 version.

Ceadeus

It's my most anticipated game of all time. Monster hunter is very awesome too but I just need that Sega feel and Sega music.

I tried to get the english PC to work but it is double difficult because i'm french so the tutorial is too difficult for me.

PSO2 looks like my game of forever, so the feeling is burning me inside.

Even more when knowing Sega know the game is wanted outside japan.

I just want to say for the record that if this gets localized and the PS4 Yakuza games remain Japan-only, I am going to war with Phantasy Star fans. I really don't want to, I like you guys, but I will.

Sophia

throw them under the bus how?

Sony supports cross-play so they could simply have cross-play and let those PC players use their characters on the PS4 version.

It's not about cross-play. If PSO2 launches in English, the servers will very likely be separate from the Japanese ones. Which means anyone who wishes to play with friends would have to start all over again. To say nothing of the fact that any English version would likely be behind in content.

Forkball

The JPN version is so far ahead in terms of updates and features that it would be impossible to bring over to the west. I think they even have a lot of cross promotional stuff with other Japanese companies as well. They could just make a separate NA version, but it would take a lot of effort to maintain, and I'm sure many would not be interested in it if they knew the JPN version had so much more content. Like imagine if Europe's version of Dota 2 was circa 2012 while the US had the most recent version.

PSO3 THOUGH BELIEVE

Style

Banned
One thing that is bothering me is that there is no mention of Uub yet. Did they forget how DBZ ended? Or is that going to be a major plot point soon?

There's a time skip between the Buu fight and when Uub appears, if I recall correctly. Super takes place in that time skip.

Interesting news. I am still not hopeful for a western release. I think the game looks too much like PSU than PSO which is the biggest concern for me. Blue Burst was PSO perfection but PSU just forgot everything that made PSO great to begin with.

One reason I've been pretty vocal about wanting PSO2 on the PS4 is precisely because it's a much higher quality game than any of those with a much better F2P business model.

The problem is that F2P model probably wouldn't work in the West, they've basically got two primary methods of earning money - premium subscriptions and the random scratch drawings. The bi-weekly scratch drawings rely heavily on anime/game collaborations which wouldn't come here due to licensing, and we've seen how much the subscription model has dropped off in the West.

On top of that they have a huge amount of PSO2 merchandise which comes with exclusive in-game item codes, like the soundtracks, figures, books, drama CDs etc. plus collaborations with 7/11. You've also got all kinds of issues like the voice acting (what would they do about Quna and all the stage events for example?), Live Broadcasts, Symphony concerts, live stage shows, the newly announced anime and such.

Too much of what PSO2 offers is centred entirely around the Japanese market, it's absolutely nothing like PSO1 or PSU.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If they're putting funds in to develop a PS4 version, why wouldn't they want the relatively massive US playerbase playing it?

Because they didn't localize the portable OR PC version in the west before.

VariantX

A PS4 port is basically confirming a localization these days and with Sega saying they're gonna be awesome again and likely noticing the f2p/mmo boom on PS4 I'm expecting this to come over.

This.

Removing that cross promotional stuff is pretty much removing a massive chunk of what they do monetize at this point. They kind of went crazy with it and almost have a new cross promo every month now. Thats a lot less stuff that can be sold in other markets than their home market.

There's a time skip between the Buu fight and when Uub appears, if I recall correctly. Super takes place in that time skip.

lol put this in the wrong thread. went into my posts and grabbed the latest one, didn't realize my latest wasn't the DBZ Super thread post

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I will give a damm when this actually comes out in the West.

BizzyBum

Sega completely wasted this opportunity. Western fans would've been eating out of their hands.

It still boggles my mind why Sega didn't jump at the chance to bring PSO2 here. The original PSO is such a classic and PSO2 would have done extremely well here.

Wonko_C

since Destiny and PSO2 are similar in structure (not really an MMO, just a lobby that's used to access instanced areas) they could rework the game to use Destiny's model:

-Get rid of f2p, no subscriptions, make it so you have to buy the game, and periodically release the episodes as purchasable expansions. Sell expansion passes too.

-Anime cosplay costumes replaced with original ones, or if you can't stop with the cosplay stuff make costumes based on classic Sega properties.

-Or make it peer to peer if you don't wanna host servers.

wwm0nkey

since Destiny and PSO2 are similar in structure (not really an MMO, just a lobby that's used to access instanced areas) they could rework the game to use Destiny's model:

-Get rid of f2p, make it so you have to buy the game, and periodically release the episodes as purchasable expansions. Sell expansion passes too.

-Anime cosplay costumes replaced with original ones, or if you can't stop with the cosplay stuff make costumes based on classic Sega properties.

-Or make it peer to peer if you don't wanna host servers.
Nah their current model works just fine.

Wonko_C

I don't think it would work as well here, f2p still has that stigma of "cheaply made bad game to suck whales dry".

Hotsuma

Please give us an Xbox One version.

For real. I don't see what the hold up is in releasing the PC version in the west and just throwing a port on the Xbox One. I know the game has a lot of licensed items and the like, but even with that stuff removed the game would still be enjoyable by many people.

At this point all you can do is shake your head at keeping PSO 2 away from the US.

Luminaire

If an RE2 remake can happen in these times, PSO2 can come over to the West. WE DO IT!

Honestly though, with it going to PS4, Sega and Sony may be able to partner up and bring it to the west. Someone yell at Boyes. A lot.

Wonko_C

For real. I don't see what the hold up is in releasing the PC version in the west and just throwing a port on the Xbox One. I know the game has a lot of licensed items and the like, but even with that stuff removed the game would still be enjoyable by many people.

At this point all you can do is shake your head at keeping PSO 2 away from the US.

PSO2 has crossplatform play between PC, Vita and most likely the upcoming PS4 version. Microsoft won't allow that, that's the same thing that's keeping Final Fantasy XIV from coming to Xbox One.

It's not happening.

Edward@Sega said:
Hello everyone. It's been quite a while and now that I am at liberty to do so, there are some things I would like to share.

Being an official public relations rep with Sega put severe restrictions on what I could and could not say, and it was very upsetting to be assigned the task of monitoring this forum and listening to the frustration of you all, the fans and being more or less obligated to respond only with variations of the same response. But it's important for you all to know that during this time, I really *DID* compile and present your collective posts albeit they ultimately fell on deaf ears. Although I am no longer employed by SEGA (having willfully resigned to move on to different opportunities) I was still legally required to refrain from divulging information pertinent to the game that was not already cleared to be released for a specific length of time; this has since lapsed and now I am free to speak to you without fear of legal reprisal.

Phantasy Star Online 2 is *NOT* going to be released in the West. It is not simply being delayed; it is in fact, cancelled.

The reason for this is that projected sales and profit margins are miniscule in comparison to those projected (and ultimately fulfilled, exceeded even) in Asian territories. The cost effectiveness of creating and maintaining official servers to provide the PSO2 service to such a comparatively small (although avid, especially from my experience in the forums) just isn't deemed to be worthwhile when those resources are better concentrated where there is more money to be made.

Although I do believe that you all, the fans deserve to know that there is a specific reason why SEGA has neglected to publicly announce this, and it does bring quite a sense of relief to be able to tell it; while it IS true that PSO2 will not be localized to the West, there ARE plans to do so with some of the other Phantasy Star titles recently released, as well as ones to be released in the very near future. To openly publicize after so much media promotion of PSO2 that it has been decided NOT to deliver would be detrimental to the advertisement of these future games.

Again, I am truly sorry for having been obligated to withhold this information. It is my personal experience in the industry that it is ultimately you, the fans that are responsible for the successes of SEGA (or any company in the gaming industry for that matter.) With that being said, I hope to find that same sense of support over at NCSOFT (where I now work in Public Relations.)

Best of wishes to everyone!

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218481

This was originally posted BEFORE Nova came out, which has yet to see western release either. Methinks Sega has canned the IP in the west.

I guess we'll have to see if Haruki Satomi will live up to his words.

Top Bottom