• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to PS4. Will be playable at TGS.

RexNovis

Banned
Oh my GOD!!!! YES!!!! Immediately my most anticipated title. No way this doesn't see western release on PS4! So fucking excited!

cj_iwakura

Vita...?

Folks need to come to terms already that Phantasy Star and the West just don't mix. As if the years prior weren't any indicator.

Let's just not even try, what could go wrong?

I think Sega are just ignoring what could be massive. It might flop, but I think they could afford to give one of their biggest IPs another shot in the west, especially given how devout the fans are.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

I think Sega are just ignoring what could be massive. It might flop, but I think they could afford to give one of their biggest IPs another shot in the west, especially given how devout the fans are.
I don't think that SEGA is in a position where they want to take risks with non-mobile games, especially in the West.

Also releasing and managing a MMO is a completely different beast than just "releasing" a game in another region.

Hopefully at PSX Sony confirms Dragon's Dogma Online, Dragon's Quest X, Deep Down, and Phantasy Star 2 online are all being localized for the West. I mean last year they confirmed Yakuza 5 and Persona 5 were being localized.

kiryogi

Banned

Episode IV is 2016. It's a little late for that.

Qvoth

actually played back when it was released, didn't enjoy it on keyboard and mouse, this could be fun on controller

oti

Banned
You know who could bring Phantasy Star Online 2 to the West?
Donald Trump could.
#MakeSEGAgreatagain #Trump2016

Don't vote for him please

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
actually played back when it was released, didn't enjoy it on keyboard and mouse, this could be fun on controller
I'm playing the PC version with a Dual Shock 4 (DS4Windows) and I didn't even have to remap it.

kiryogi

Banned

If you looked at the post above yours, there's already 3, from Sega even, that are currently Japan only.

Shining Arcus (Yup, never coming to America), Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin (I fear it'll suffer the same fate as Kenzan), and Ryu ga Gotoku Zero (This could come to america. 5 years later when RgG 7 or 8 is out)

God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi
Natsuiro High School
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Yakuza Zero
Dragon's Dogma Online
Fushigi no Chronicle

and that's not all
PS4 version doesn't mean automatic localization
JP companies are jumping on the PS4 because if there is one remaining hope for the traditional home console in Japan, this is it right now

stryke

Probably for the West...I mean why make the game for the ~2M PS4 users in Japan?

It might just be cheap to port with costs easily covered by the money coming in through other platforms. It might also serve a PS4 audience in Asia as well.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

No its called being rational as a company and not wanting to invest a bunch of $$$ into the whole backend hardware / manpower wise to run a MMO along with payment service etc. Even more so in the current climate when MMOs are not the hot topic anymore.

As others have stated this isnt just localizing a title.

A bit of thought goes a long way.

oti

Banned
The west?

440px-Remarque_Im_Westen_nichts_Neues_1929.jpg

Izuna

Banned
Was Phantasy Star Nova any good?

Same awesome gameplay of PSO2 but was so freaking challengeless it was like you started the game overlevelled.

All of the great mechanics for avoiding being hit are hardly used at end game too =(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When will Publishers start to kickstart localizations ?
I'm guessing that it's not the localization that's the problem, it's managing a game - you need to set up a payment system, translate regular patches for years, have a support/gm team, license collaborations etc.

Oregano

After the numbers God Eater and Toukiden pushed on PS4, that seems unwise.

Well it would help if they wanted a western release. Phantasy Star at least has some built in console audience which the other two lack.

Plus God Eater and Toukiden will both probably continue including the PS4 in their future releases so it must be worth it.*shrugs*

I'm very confused how this game isn't localized. We got the first game and I thought it did really well in sales? What's the deal with this one?

Same here.. It's a damn shame. I don't know about the sales but I just don't see GE2 as a huge project with an incalculable risk.
Even the anime is getting a simulcast in the west.

Bamco please throw us a bone here :/

Maybe we need to get @giocorsi and @aboyes involved

I'm guessing that it's not the localization that's the problem, it's managing a game - you need to set up a payment system, translate regular patches for years, have a support/gm team, license collaborations etc.

In this case, sure. But there are many other games that don't need that, Yakuza for example.

kiryogi

Banned
In this case, sure. But there are many other games that don't need that, Yakuza for example.

And in Yakuza's case, it was not very profitable or beloved in the west at all. It's a goddamned miracle we're getting Yakuza 5. Sega is bleeding money to release Yakuza in the west.

Oregano

Same here.. It's a damn shame. I don't know about the sales but I just don't see GE2 as a huge project with an incalculable risk.

Bamco please thow us a bone here :/

Rage Burst will probably be coming, it's been trademarked. My hunch at the moment is a double pack with Resurrection with the promo cycle focused on the PS4 versions.

And in Yakuza's case, it was not very profitable or beloved in the west at all. It's a goddamned miracle we're getting Yakuza 5. Sega is bleeding money to release Yakuza in the west.

Yeah, that's a point. Same with the DQ games, they did fail to establish those games in the west when they came out.

If I for instance knew, that Dragon Quest existed, I would've bough all the games, just because a I am huge Dragon Ball fan.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, that's a point. Same with the DQ games, they did fail to establish those games in the west when they came out.

If I for instance knew, that Dragon Quest existed, I would've bough all the games, just because a I am huge Dragon Ball fan.

You, me, and all of NeoGAF buying every single Yakuza and Dragon Quest game doesn't justify it for the Western release unfortunately.

Rage Burst will probably be coming, it's been trademarked. My hunch at the moment is a double pack with Resurrection with the promo cycle focused on the PS4 versions.

Yeah I know of the trademark, but with each event where it doesn't get announced I'm losing hope a bit more.

I think it would be a good idea to reboot the series here with the anime and Resurrection and then bring GE2 later. If the anime comes and goes without any news I think it might be dead

kiryogi

Banned

^This is the very reason we haven't gotten it on PC/Vita, and that's not gonna suddenly change overnight for PS4. I repeat again, the game is already going to be on it's 4th expansion in 2016.

Miracle

I've been waiting to play that game for a little over 2 years...I'm sad that the localized version is still not in my hands right now. :(

That would be amazing if it happens.

I got money Bamco, don't you want it? :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
^This is the very reason we haven't gotten it on PC/Vita, and that's not gonna suddenly change overnight for PS4. I repeat again, the game is already going to be on it's 4th expansion in 2016.

Ive spoken with folks who have worked in the mmo industry / for large companies such as ncsoft and basically yeah those costs are nothing to sneeze at. And the largest reason why companies dont want to go starting something from the ground up in a "new" market, unless there is a third party willing to eat the costs of that for them. Which is what happens in Asia for example.

jaydogg691

PSO 2 Vita would have been my killer app if it came out in the west. I would like to play this on PS4, but it's too late for me or it's not coming to the west.

Damn you SEGA!

God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi
Natsuiro High School
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Yakuza Zero
Dragon's Dogma Online
Fushigi no Chronicle

and that's not all
PS4 version doesn't mean automatic localization
JP companies are jumping on the PS4 because if there is one remaining hope for the traditional home console in Japan, this is it right now

Natsuiro High School probably would've had a good chance of being picked up and localised if it didn't turn out to be complete and utter trash.

Shengar

I don't have the complete version, but here you go
4jqrhi.jpg

Bamco insistence to not bringing GE2:RB is baffling and mind boggling.

Top Bottom