• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

WarRock

That is exactly what I love about Monster Hunter. I never had the opportunity to use XLink Kai back in Freedom nor did I have anyone to play with locally, so I learned the game myself. It. Was. HARD. I loved it. There is nothing as satisfying as taking on those High Rank, and later G-Rank, missions alone and eeking out a win. You get better, you learn, you get even better, and you feel like you are truly mastering something. I imagine that is how perfecting a fighting game feels.

That is more or less my experience too, though after some time I had a friend to play local with. Fighting a monster for the first time in multiplayer is so fun and scary at the same time, haha.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So, after reading that not all PC DVD drives read Gamecube discs properly, I've cancelled my PSO Ep1&2 order. Should've done proper research beforehand.
I'm still interested in seeing the story, so I guess a private server with Blue Burst is the best/easiest way to do it, but I don't really know where to start and am not sure what's the GAF stance on talks about private servers of dead games is, so.. :p

Wow, calling MH4G a kusoge? Of course it's not a perfect game, nothing is, but I have yet to encounter things that people are complaining about. Granted that I haven't done the super-end content unlocked after clearing all the scrolls, but the difficulty of G1-3 was just fine.

You have to touch the middle (?) of the touch screen to go into the shoulder aim mode.
I've discovered it by accident and I don't think it's listed in the controls menu.

on the server stuff try to pm duckroll about it. id imagine that there is nothing wrong with it since its like ultima online and player run shards. at least thats how i see it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Japanese "reviewers" were bitching about MH4G and calling it a kusoge. Baekshi used that as a counter argument against dismissing freedom wars -- which was also panned as a kusoge. Read, dude.
Let's put things into perspective - Japanese Amazon reviewers say that about way too many games to be taken seriously.

But would you not agree that something like Super Castlevania is far more worthy of your time?

I can def understand that opinion, but I think they're equally valuable, especially since they go about the same core concept in some drastically different ways. That, and I also prefer Castlevania. Hahaha. I do love Super though, don't get me wrong.

And yeah, Amazon and 2ch call pretty much everything kusoge, whether it actually is or not, so it's not even functional as a counterpoint one way or the other. It's like bringing up nothing as evidence. Good games are kusoge. Bad games are kusoge. All games are the same.

We are all the same.

We are one.

Return to the womb.

Let's put things into perspective - Japanese Amazon reviewers say that about way too many games to be taken seriously.

Which was exactly baekshi's point, and why I spoke up. So much hostility in this thread as if people want to take offense to every little thing. Such a bummer.

Shengar

LOL?

MH4U is a bad game now? Care to explain please.
It's counter sarcastic reaction to the first answer by DreamDrop which he said Freedom Wars are kusoge which mostly based by amazon.jp reviews too, showing how ridiculous it is to called a Japanese kusoge by that.

Which was exactly baekshi's point, and why I spoke up. So much hostility in this thread as if people want to take offense to every little thing. Such a bummer.
Well Freedom Wars called being cheap because it have things that out of your control that could make a mission failed while it doesn't, is perhaps the same as calling MH control as clunky. I don't know, but player in this genre is pretty sensitive because gameplay of specific game could be misrepresented by a single word that could sound offensive because it doesn't true in the eyes who played them. This is why when I'm talking about flaws in the genre, I always make my point clear first by presenting the example based on my experience.

We are all the same.

We are one.

Return to the womb.
Kusoge Lord hath spoken

WarRock

So, after reading that not all PC DVD drives read Gamecube discs properly, I've cancelled my PSO Ep1&2 order. Should've done proper research beforehand.
I'm still interested in seeing the story, so I guess a private server with Blue Burst is the best/easiest way to do it, but I don't really know where to start and am not sure what's the GAF stance on talks about private servers of dead games is, so.. :p

GAF had threads about it in the past:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270678
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402158

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks. Since Ultima seems to be the biggest server these days I tried running their modified client, but the window just closed on me. Tried changing resolution, but the result was the same.

Edit:
Okay, so I was able to connect and wow. It's a bit worse than I remember. Although I can totally see why it was so amazing back in the day. Graphics/chunkiness aside, the music is great and the combo system feels surprisingly good.

Malyse

I would have gotten SSD a lot sooner if y'all had just said they made it more fun. The lore in SS is super impressive. Actually sat down and read all the entries.

----

ROA is not the same game as it was when shipped. They added Norn's shop, daily missions, significant stat tracking, and login bonuses, plus a new boss rush dungeon. I've never seen an expansion on an expansion.

----

Because reasons, I'm importing PSO2 vita. Got it for a five, so even if I hate it, it shouldn't be too bad.

WHEN SUDDENLY
tumblr_ng6jhhdbfX1rjv5flo1_1280.jpg

emb

I would have gotten SSD a lot sooner if y'all had just said they made it more fun. The lore in SS is super impressive. Actually sat down and read all the entries.

----

ROA is not the same game as it was when shipped. They added Norn's shop, daily missions, significant stat tracking, and login bonuses, plus a new boss rush dungeon. I've never seen an expansion on an expansion.

----

Because reasons, I'm importing PSO2 vita. Got it for a five, so even if I hate it, it shouldn't be too bad.

WHEN SUDDENLY
tumblr_ng6jhhdbfX1rjv5flo1_1280.jpg
I thought Sega was blocking IPs outside of Japan?

I was under the impression Sega was closing up those loopholes since they got DDOSed or whatever. Is that only the PC version?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I was under the impression Sega was closing up those loopholes since they got DDOSed or whatever. Is that only the PC version?
Sega didn't close anything, it's the other way around - isps are blocking Yahoo (some parts of it), but I don't remember the details.

Whoa, that sucks. Then again, if you were getting PSO on GC, PSO 1&2+ has more offline quests. That'd be the version to get IF you were going to get a GC version.

Before BB, there was a "PSO For Windows" which was a port of the DC version if I recall correctly. That version got hacked to hell and back.

BB is the comprehensive version to play. I would talk about it some more but as you said about private server talk...I'll take it elsewhere.

Okay, it's not dead. But they aren't going to release it anywhere but China.
MHOL-Crytek_Press_Release.png

Pity cause that game looks like the truth.
Seriously? Goddamn this version looks so freakin' awesome! FFS Capcom, you want Monster Hunter to be popular in the West and you don't release this west-side? DURRRRRRRRRRRR. Whelp if there's any way to tunnel my way to the Chinese server, I'm grabbing this.

DJIzana

We had a giant PSO GAF thread back in the day, and with instructions about how to play on the Schtack or whatever server. I dont think its something frowned upon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3I5pYwk28

...Man I miss PSO summers.

I swear... I played with you on a different version of PSO of something. Even though I see you post on GAF, seeing a vid of you playing PSO, I swear I've played with you in a Dreamcast or Gamecube version of it. Hah.

That aside, I completely agree. I really miss this game. I still have my Gamecube version that I go back and play every so often still.

Reknoc

Need to get PSO2 special package 2 at some point. Not like I can play it on my Vita but man that Qubeley mag.

the op said:
RO would be a pretty good test to see if the genre is one you can enjoy.

Glad I already knew I liked the genre because I didn't get along well with RO at all. Didn't really like the combat and I don't think it really did enough with the Ragnarok name. That said though, the game has the greatest free DLC in any game ever, the Ragnarok Online music.

Emalde

Thanks for mentioning Nano Diver. I actually think it fits the bill perfectly, but there's a huge wealth of gameplay problems plaguing that game. However, it was one of the very first games in this genre to include punch-based gauntlet weaponry (which Toukiden and Monster Hunter Frontier have taken to much better extremes) so good on them. Neat ideas, flat execution, would not recommend unless you have 3 other die-hard xxxtreme hunting pals and a firm grasp on either pattern recognition or kanji (gearing in that game is a pain).

Malyse

Need to get PSO2 special package 2 at some point. Not like I can play it on my Vita but man that Qubeley mag.

Glad I already knew I liked the genre because I didn't get along well with RO at all. Didn't really like the combat and I don't think it really did enough with the Ragnarok name. That said though, the game has the greatest free DLC in any game ever, the Ragnarok Online music.
ROA is a much better game.

Reknoc

ROA is a much better game.

In what way, looking at the website/wiki all I really get is that there's more content which isn't a great selling point when I wasn't a fan of what was already there.

Still, it has PS+ game written all over it so I can give it a wait or see if its in some sale.

redcrayon

I just finished Freedom Wars the other day, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It needs more abductor variants, and for the ending to actually make sense, but the mix of hunting, shooting and the thorn-based grappling/severing was great. The core gameplay of fighting abductors as a team of 8 (4 sinners + 4 accessories) was a nice spin on a well-trod formula.

The downside for me was that it seemed a little too focused on levelling up your weapons, and not enough on learning the 'tells' and general gameplay skill. The dodge roll was also useless, not moving far or fast enough to evade anything.

Still, if there is an expanded version or a sequel, I'll definitely be interested in it- theres something there, it could be great with a bit of polish. It'll be a shame if the Vita's lack of success means that it goes no further.

Mugaaz

I picked up Freedom Wars on sale. Enjoying it so far.

What do you guys think I should play next?
SS:D
Toukiden
RO:A
God Eater?

Mugaaz

What did you like and dislike about freedom wars?

+ Game Premise / Setup is awesome
+ Combat is fun, fast paced, different experience than MH
+ Thorn system is pretty sweet
+ Fighting mechs + humans is neat, I like severing parts directly
+ Gameplay mechanics with entitlements is neat at the start
+ All the weapons seem to be unique, not just stat comparison

- Story is awful
- Story is awful
- Story is almost entirely unskippable
- Gameplay mechanics with entitlements goes nowhere after the initial codes
- Severing mechanic kind of sucks later
- Very difficult to understand where to get parts, how upgrades / mods work without guides. I.E. in MH if you need a Rathalos scale its pretty clear where to look
- Pretty difficult to compare weapons

Malyse

+ Game Premise / Setup is awesome
+ Combat is fun, fast paced, different experience than MH
+ Thorn system is pretty sweet
+ Fighting mechs + humans is neat, I like severing parts directly
+ Gameplay mechanics with entitlements is neat at the start
+ All the weapons seem to be unique, not just stat comparison

- Story is awful
- Story is awful
- Story is almost entirely unskippable
- Gameplay mechanics with entitlements goes nowhere after the initial codes
- Severing mechanic kind of sucks later
- Very difficult to understand where to get parts, how upgrades / mods work without guides. I.E. in MH if you need a Rathalos scale its pretty clear where to look
- Pretty difficult to compare weapons
Give the toukiden demo a shot.

Jathaine

http://whattheycallgames.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/ftw-mrbean35000vr-does-it-again-turning.html

Turning the wii into multiplayer heaven, gamecube games may also be possible.

... phantasy star... excitement

Speaking of Phantasy Star, supposedly there's some exploit for 3.35 VITA OFW that would allow users to get PSP games on there (same stuff that's been around for previous patches, but 3.35 is the current one).

All I really want is to get my copy of PSP2 on there. Why is this so much to ask?

I'm at the end of Freedom Wars and I cannot finish the game because I must get some entitlements but cannot get them because the missions left are immensely difficult to beat because it takes forever to take out the abductors or rescue the citizens. Not to mention upgrading or getting better weapons has been hell for someone like me who hates having to resort to guides.

Ugggghhh. I should go get Gods Eater Burst or MH: Freedom Unite

I'm at the end of Freedom Wars and I cannot finish the game because I must get some entitlements but cannot get them because the missions left are immensely difficult to beat because it takes forever to take out the abductors or rescue the citizens. Not to mention upgrading or getting better weapons has been hell for someone like me who hates having to resort to guides.

Ugggghhh. I should go get Gods Eater Burst or MH: Freedom Unite

You can re-do missions for entitlement points. You can also play story missions online and get a ticket that allows you to skip the mission when you go back to single player.

I haven't played Freedom Unite but I can definitely recommend God Eater. I'd like to recommend the second game but you know
it's not in English.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I have only just found this thread, and I am probably late, but I came to say that Vindictus is pretty underrated. Great game.

Malyse

I have only just found this thread, and I am probably late, but I came to say that Vindictus is pretty underrated. Great game.

No such thing as too late. What are you playing?

Speaking of Phantasy Star, supposedly there's some exploit for 3.35 VITA OFW that would allow users to get PSP games on there (same stuff that's been around for previous patches, but 3.35 is the current one).

All I really want is to get my copy of PSP2 on there. Why is this so much to ask?

Speak of, PSN is still giving me issues.

Played a bit of Phantasy Star Online Ep 1&2 on my Wii today. Surprised at how nicely it holds up. Graphics really popped because of the use of progressive scan, and it even has Pro Logic II surround sound. Also, it was really nice to have such limited storyline and having it go straight to the action. I have been playing PS Portable 2 lately and these characters just won't stop talking sometimes. Even though I don't have any way of being able to play with other people I don't mind that much. Music and overall atmosphere really take me back after spending so many years in the "Universe" series.

So yeah, PSO still has a lot of charm after all these years. It's missing some of the innovations in PSP 2 but in some ways that simplicity makes things feel a little tighter and easier to keep track of.

Malyse

Played a bit of Phantasy Star Online Ep 1&2 on my Wii today. Surprised at how nicely it holds up. Graphics really popped because of the use of progressive scan, and it even has Pro Logic II surround sound. Also, it was really nice to have such limited storyline and having it go straight to the action. I have been playing PS Portable 2 lately and these characters just won't stop talking sometimes. Even though I don't have any way of being able to play with other people I don't mind that much. Music and overall atmosphere really take me back after spending so many years in the "Universe" series.

So yeah, PSO still has a lot of charm after all these years. It's missing some of the innovations in PSP 2 but in some ways that simplicity makes things feel a little tighter and easier to keep track of.
you can skip the cutscenes though.

K.Sabot

I love PSO's story though, it's very minimal and reminds me of a certain series from the past generation that I also adore. The "story" does a ton to inform the atmosphere and tone of the game, and I love the interpretations people gave it over time.

you can skip the cutscenes though.

I know. But some of the stuff interests me so I'd feel bad skipping it all. I think it's fair to say that there is a lot of dialog in these games. Just an observation.

I love PSO's story though, it's very minimal and reminds me of a certain series from the past generation that I also adore. The "story" does a ton to inform the atmosphere and tone of the game, and I love the interpretations people gave it over time.

I am guessing you are maybe referring to the Souls series? I'm not a "no story" guy so I like having something that gives depth to the world. Even if that depth comes from how my imagination interprets the little that is given to me.

I like how it was done back then too. The game had this whole feeling of loneliness, and reading the messages left behind made it even better.

WarRock

Just so you guys know, there is a post end of story mission in Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity where you go to the PSO dimension (or something) and learn a bit more about its story. You even get to meet Red Ring Rico and fight in some PSO areas.
And a badass scene with the original party of HUmar, RAcast, etc helping Ringo at the end

Also, this.

Top Bottom