• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

Deband

Burst had a good chunk of text. I wouldn't recommend it, since the game is probably releasing in the West. If not, the existence of a PS4 version doesn't make much sense IMO.

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll give it a miss. My decision was helped by the Toukiden news yesterday.

wwm0nkey

So I read a rumour on the monster hunter wiki that is relatively new. New as in the last time I checked the wiki it was not there.

Anyway, the rumour is that as monster hunter frontier is still expanding in asia, studies are being made if MH frontier will be released in europe or north america. I can only assume It's sales figures vs concurrent online users for mh3g and mh4g here.

If any of that is true, I just hope that they understand that the population of mh3g at the very least dropped significantly once people were reaching end game. I also hope mh4g sells well for 3ds. I think one of the reasons mh4g is not coming to wii u is simply to focus on performance on platform initially, and part of me believes that it will come out to wii u later. Even if wii u sales for mh3g were higher than 3ds.

I have seen on here frontier is bad because it's too grindy. I'm watching a taiwanese guy play frontier and it looks like the monster hunter we all know and love, but with just infinite more content. Personally, I think thats better, mh3g generally doesnt take long to reach a HR where everything is unlocked. At least with frontier there are more monster, more content, more gear etc etc etc, so you can continue to play the monster hunter we all know and love and never reach an end of the hording impulse.

Just my two cents, but monster hunter has been getting more and more popular over the in the west so I hope MH4u breaks some records.
Something tells me we wont get Frontier but we will probably get MH Online.

Also I think the Demo and the fact the Majora bundle was gone in an hour will push quite a few units over in NA/EU. I think it will finally get Capcom's attention.

Takao

Banned
So I read a rumour on the monster hunter wiki that is relatively new. New as in the last time I checked the wiki it was not there.

Anyway, the rumour is that as monster hunter frontier is still expanding in asia, studies are being made if MH frontier will be released in europe or north america. I can only assume It's sales figures vs concurrent online users for mh3g and mh4g here.

If any of that is true, I just hope that they understand that the population of mh3g at the very least dropped significantly once people were reaching end game. I also hope mh4g sells well for 3ds. I think one of the reasons mh4g is not coming to wii u is simply to focus on performance on platform initially, and part of me believes that it will come out to wii u later. Even if wii u sales for mh3g were higher than 3ds.

I have seen on here frontier is bad because it's too grindy. I'm watching a taiwanese guy play frontier and it looks like the monster hunter we all know and love, but with just infinite more content. Personally, I think thats better, mh3g generally doesnt take long to reach a HR where everything is unlocked. At least with frontier there are more monster, more content, more gear etc etc etc, so you can continue to play the monster hunter we all know and love and never reach an end of the hording impulse.

Just my two cents, but monster hunter has been getting more and more popular over the in the west so I hope MH4u breaks some records.

probably gonna port this jank to ps4/xb1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwpXdobnnw

then release it for everything it's available on

probably gonna port this jank to ps4/xb1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EwpXdobnnw

then release it for everything it's available on

Well, as good as that looks, won't get my hopes up for a western release at anytime soon. I also doubt it will be ported to xbox one, even if it were on the 360.

I'm not sure why they bring out installments of MH here but have been so delayed or out right refusing the bring frontier here.

Well, whatever the case, I'll cry salty tears as I play MH4 ultimate in feb, and I will hold just a little tiny, tiny wee bit of hope just incase it does make it's way over here.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well, as good as that looks, won't get my hopes up for a western release at anytime soon. I also doubt it will be ported to xbox one, even if it were on the 360.

I'm not sure why they bring out installments of MH here but have been so delayed or out right refusing the bring frontier here.

Well, whatever the case, I'll cry salty tears as I play MH4 ultimate in feb, and I will hold just a little tiny, tiny wee bit of hope just incase it does make it's way over here.

server costs most likely that and setting up the whole system for its "f2p" included system. or should i say microtransactions

its the exact same reason why sega has not been too keen on bringing PSO2 to the west.

Frontier is actually subscription based. It's currently available on PC, 360, PS3, Wii U and PS Vita.

i had though they changed the system?

though recently do recall seeing its f2p up to hr 99.

though they do have microtransactions and stuff.

when i used to play it most def was subscription and the hr cap for the f2p was pretty low. but that was when it first came out.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I still think Phantasy Star Online is the zenith of the genre. I really would love for SEGA to release PSO as a downloadable game on current generation consoles. Release PSO2 on consoles as well!

Shengar

server costs most likely that and setting up the whole system for its "f2p" included system. or should i say microtransactions

its the exact same reason why sega has not been too keen on bringing PSO2 to the west.

i had though they changed the system?

though recently do recall seeing its f2p up to hr 99.

though they do have microtransactions and stuff.

when i used to play it most def was subscription and the hr cap for the f2p was pretty low. but that was when it first came out.
I always wondering; does Frontier have a lot of players? I mean, just looking at the update, Capcom keep churning out update with no end in sight.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I always wondering; does Frontier have a lot of players? I mean, just looking at the update, Capcom keep churning out update with no end in sight.

if they keep doing it, then the answer must be yes. even more so considering how expensive the shit is.

no idea on numbers though. there should be older numbers floating around but its like data from couple years ago kind old.

Sayter

I'm surprised so many of these types of games are on the PSP and Vita. The first online game I ever played was PSO on the Gamecube. I loved it. The closet I ever got back to that experience was LP2 on the 360.

I hope Project Treasure turns out good.

Malyse

I'm surprised so many of these types of games are on the PSP and Vita. The first online game I ever played was PSO on the Gamecube. I loved it. The closet I ever got back to that experience was LP2 on the 360.

I hope Project Treasure turns out good.
Do I need to add that to the OP?

Wait. I'll wait until it has a real title.

Sayter

Do I need to add that to the OP?

Wait. I'll wait until it has a real title.

That would be the best course of action considering we probably won't see anything until E3 at the earliest.

I'm just happy that a online coop Japanese made game is coming to the west.

I see now dif between high grade and original, lol

The main problem is the assets, they're all still the original assets, and with the amount of assets in the game, I really doubt we'd ever see them put the effort into reworking them individually.

Slightly smoother edges and turned up the contrast. That's about it.

WarRock

Thinking about jumping back on PSO2 during February.

I stopped playing a little while after the Gunner/Techer/Fighter (?) classes got introduced, don't think I've even reached lv30 with my Cast... Dunno if I should start from zero or continue with him.

KageMaru

I still think Phantasy Star Online is the zenith of the genre. I really would love for SEGA to release PSO as a downloadable game on current generation consoles. Release PSO2 on consoles as well!

With how the newer consoles are embracing F2P games and have architecture closer to standard PC hardware, I don't understand why PSO2 isn't headed to the PS4/XBO.

Malyse

With how the newer consoles are embracing F2P games and have architecture closer to standard PC hardware, I don't understand why PSO2 isn't headed to the PS4/XBO.
I said that in the PSO2 thread. I want that and Vindictus on console. Or at least Vindictus on Vita; I'll import it again if I have to.

Reknoc

What happened to the Tencent MH game? Was it any good?

It's in closed beta at the moment I think.

Looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKW_guzWXIo

First video I watched had floating numbers which looked terrible but I guess that can be turned off. This video I noticed levels and an EXP bar but I'm like, really hoping that's just HR.

'course, closed beta also means none of the microtransaction junk is implemented yet either.

bronk

Banned
Im playing the dreamcast one right now, so much fun even playing alone. A downloadable PSO is my biggest hope honestly. I know it'll never happen :'(

It's in closed beta at the moment I think.

Looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKW_guzWXIo

First video I watched had floating numbers which looked terrible but I guess that can be turned off. This video I noticed levels and an EXP bar but I'm like, really hoping that's just HR.

'course, closed beta also means none of the microtransaction junk is implemented yet either.

Kinda sad to see that 1) such an advancement in the series is not being done officially by capcom, 2) the map is still separated into zones and 3) it's not coming to the west.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yesterday I started playing God Eater 2 again to upgrade my stuff before Rage Burst and to clear the post-story story mode.
Last story mission (the very last, rank 10 one) is just stupid. Not only you have 3-4 monsters in the map at all times and the framerate goes to hell, but the attack of the boss which creates a ball of light which reduces your MAXIMUM hp to 1 is just ridiculous.
I'll try to do it in multiplayer but eh, that fight is frustrating, rather than challenging.

Flunkie

Banned
Just started Soul Sac Delta. It's amazing. So smooth and fluid and fun and tasty. I have stuff to do, but I don't want to stop playing!

Shengar

Finally defeated Dire Miralis and my HR turned tobe HR43 lol
Am I finished? Well, I guess I'll finished with MH3U after MH4U finally in my hand lol
Just started Soul Sac Delta. It's amazing. So smooth and fluid and fun and tasty. I have stuff to do, but I don't want to stop playing!
Good that you found the game enjoyable. What playstyle you employ?

The dudes that make the translation patches are working on a private US server since Sega USA is mute about PSO2 AFAIK. It's going to take some years though.

Agrajag, who created the translation patch is not responsible for the private server. It's instead created by Cyberkitsune with a small team. He was responsible for the PSO2 Proxy, so he knows what he's doing to some extent.

I have a lot of doubts. essen's PSU private server got to this same state very quickly, but development slowed as he had issues actually making the game beyond the lobby work. Mainly because the game's network code was hacked together by programmers at Sonic Team and not people with networking experience, which meant that most of the private server's work went towards trying to figure out how the game exactly interacted with the server.

I have a Phantasy Star Nova (JP PSN) "introduction" code (30% discount for DL version). I think it should still work.

PM me if anyone wants it.

P.S. You do need a Japanese account.

BIGWORM

PSOv1 and v2 on Dreamcast was my WoW Crack before WoW Crack was a thing. Sunk many, many hours into the Dreamcast PSOs, even buying the keyboard to use exclusively for that game. When PSU came out, I couldn't get into it that much.

WarRock

Agrajag, who created the translation patch is not responsible for the private server. It's instead created by Cyberkitsune with a small team. He was responsible for the PSO2 Proxy, so he knows what he's doing to some extent.

I have a lot of doubts. essen's PSU private server got to this same state very quickly, but development slowed as he had issues actually making the game beyond the lobby work. Mainly because the game's network code was hacked together by programmers at Sonic Team and not people with networking experience, which meant that most of the private server's work went towards trying to figure out how the game exactly interacted with the server.
Thanks for correcting me =)

Yeah, I am doubtful too, but it's the best bet for people who don't want/can't play the JP version for whatever reason.

Deband

I understand they are made in Japan and PC gaming isn't as big over there. I wonder if an indie dev could make something as complex as Monster Hunter or PSO.

Malyse

Ha_Ha_Get_out.png

Top Bottom