• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

Shengar

That's a hunting game all right
added Big Game Hunter Pro Hunt to my Steam wishlist
I understand they are made in Japan and PC gaming isn't as big over there. I wonder if an indie dev could make something as complex as Monster Hunter or PSO.
Hunting action isn't the type of game that even any developers could easily made, let alnoe indie devs. The gameplay must be solid and that's depend on both the combat and monster (behavior) design. Not to mention armor and weapon design as well, gameplay-wise and design-wise.

That's scream Monster Hunter to me which is good :p
Not because it looks like MonHun actually. Hunting action games is exclusively made by Japanese developers which is why I would love to see what western devs could come up with for the genre. Though it's really surprising Double Fine of all developers that want to have their own try.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This thread was kinda hard ta re-find but I'm glad its still partially alive!

frozen_olga.jpg

Made lotsa progress in PSP2i this year so far. Got ta Level 90 today with all C & B rank free missions beaten! Got my lovin' Frozen Shooter alil while back an have not dropped it from my weapon reel yet! I don't care that its killed me several times, its a classic!

I read about private PSU servers being worked on but at this rate I'd rather someone cook up private PSP2i servers instead. As much as I loved PSU its outdated compared ta Infinity, unless the JP version ended up getting every lil bit of content and system changes the portable games got.

Vex_

Banned
It baffles me that SEGA is just sitting on the potential goldmine that is pso2.

Imagine a game like that, with native controller support, native playstation buttons ready mapped in the game, and basically everything else destiny does... (But better) all in one f2p package released in the west.

Now imagine that on ps4/xb1
Smh.

Warframe, dcuo, ffxiv, and even destiny show that these types of games work on consoles... What are they waiting for!?

Sorry, im just really salty.

Prototype

Why are there no hunting games on Steam? Seems like a missed opportunity to me.
Not sure if it's on steam, but would vindictus count? I still haven't tried it. Tera has been doing a decent job scratching that itch. Not quite MH, but pretty close for an mmo. Real-time combat and all that.

-Minsc-

Played a bit of Phantasy Star Online Ep 1&2 on my Wii today. Surprised at how nicely it holds up. Graphics really popped because of the use of progressive scan, and it even has Pro Logic II surround sound. Also, it was really nice to have such limited storyline and having it go straight to the action. I have been playing PS Portable 2 lately and these characters just won't stop talking sometimes. Even though I don't have any way of being able to play with other people I don't mind that much. Music and overall atmosphere really take me back after spending so many years in the "Universe" series.

So yeah, PSO still has a lot of charm after all these years. It's missing some of the innovations in PSP 2 but in some ways that simplicity makes things feel a little tighter and easier to keep track of.

I found the music to be hypnotic. Many a time I would stay there other on the title screen absorbing it all in. I suppose it was due to being so different from music I normally heard in games.

Dreavus

Not sure if it's on steam, but would vindictus count? I still haven't tried it. Tera has been doing a decent job scratching that itch. Not quite MH, but pretty close for an mmo. Real-time combat and all that.

It is on Steam. I used to play that years ago when there were only two character classes.

You grind materials off of boss monsters to make armor and weapons, gameplay was pretty cool (I'm sure even better nowadays), but something about the game just makes it not the same...

I think it might be the fact that there is a tedious "level" in-between boss fights that serves no purpose? It's not hard, it's just kind of there. I guess also the fact that you have a character level which makes you beholden to more than just your skills.

Maybe it just needs a skinning animation.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
100i.jpg

Level: 100 / 200
Ranger Level: 20 / 50

!!!

Now do I rebirth back to L1 with benefits or keep goin' onwards towards L200? Either way I unlocked the EXP Boost ability which'll be a big help!

Syril

Seeing this thread, reminding on how sad I am of still no PSO2 :(
Doesn't the fan translation cover almost everything by now? There wasn't any lag when I was playing the Japanese version either. Honestly, considering what I ready about how horribly they ran Phantasy Star Universe, it might almost be better this way, because we can actually play up to date with the content in Japan for once.

WarRock

100i.jpg

Level: 100 / 200
Ranger Level: 20 / 50

!!!

Now do I rebirth back to L1 with benefits or keep goin' onwards towards L200? Either way I unlocked the EXP Boost ability which'll be a big help!
I would keep going. The rebirth points grow in a exponential curve, so the closer to 200, better. It's not that hard to reach at least 120-130 playing casually too.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I would keep going. The rebirth points grow in a exponential curve, so the closer to 200, better. It's not that hard to reach at least 120-130 playing casually too.
I made it to L125 in vanilla PSP2 with its awful exp requirements so I think I can go at least that far again an maybe further! Do ya know if unusued rebirth points carry over or do you gotta use 'em or lose 'em?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Unfortunately I bought Freedom Wars thinking it was a fun PSO clone for the Vita. What a terrible mistake, the game is NOTHING like Phantasy Star Online. Clumsy and just not as fun or magical.

Khort

Unfortunately I bought Freedom Wars thinking it was a fun PSO clone for the Vita. What a terrible mistake, the game is NOTHING like Phantasy Star Online. Clumsy and just not as fun or magical.

Really? I enjoyed it, but it felt more monster hunter than PSO if that make sense. I hope we get a sequel but I hope even more we get God eater 2 here

WarRock

I made it to L125 in vanilla PSP2 with its awful exp requirements so I think I can go at least that far again an maybe further! Do ya know if unusued rebirth points carry over or do you gotta use 'em or lose 'em?
I don't remember, but I'm sure it's explained over Deviifox's guide.

Malyse

Updated OP a bit. Here's a question: other than the obvious (by which I refer to the enemy count) what's the difference between a Star Hunter and a Musou game? I mean, there is more similarities with MH and DW than MH and some of the others included on this list.

Should I add Musou games to the list?

Deband

Nice to see this thread get some new posts.

Has anyone sunk a good bit of time into the ps4 version of toukiden? Been considering picking it up cheap but I know the pc port had some issues, are the any problems with the ps4 one?

Malyse

Nice to see this thread get some new posts.

Has anyone sunk a good bit of time into the ps4 version of toukiden? Been considering picking it up cheap but I know the pc port had some issues, are the any problems with the ps4 one?

This doesn't answer your question specifically, but after my experience with Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce on PS3, I'm completely convinced that Star Hunters are best on handheld.

Deband

Yeah I know what you mean. Seems odd to me Sega hasn't made a 3ds pso. Seeing how well mh runs on it has got me pondering how nice a pso could be.

Yeah I know what you mean. Seems odd to me Sega hasn't made a 3ds pso. Seeing how well mh runs on it has got me pondering how nice a pso could be.

Yeah. PS0 on the DS was pretty fun. I would have expected something on 3DS, but Sony has them on lockdown right now I guess.

Oregano

Yeah. PS0 on the DS was pretty fun. I would have expected something on 3DS, but Sony has them on lockdown right now I guess.

The director of PS0 recently helmed 7th Dragon III on the 3DS. Other than that it just seems publishers don't think there's a big enough audience on the 3DS.

Mozendo

Is there any tips to get into Monster Hunter?
I got into Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey, and Phantasy Star just fine but MH is the only one I'm having trouble with.

It feels like I'm playing the game wrong, does anyone have any videos a lengthy guide/post on how to play properly?

Mentok

Banned
Wait, the OP has GE2: Rage Burst for localization....has this been confirmed?!?! I'm a huge MH fan, but couldn't get into Toukiden. I've heard GE is a LOT of fun, so if this is true then consider me a purchase!

I got into Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey, and Phantasy Star just fine but MH is the only one I'm having trouble with.

It feels like I'm playing the game wrong, does anyone have any videos a lengthy guide/post on how to play properly?

I haven't played the other series all that much, but from what I've seen of them they play differently from MH (in most cases they seem quicker). MH is very methodical. You need to plan and stock up for a hunt. Eating meals is important, as is ensuring you have the right items in your inventory. You also need to figure out what weapon works best with your play style. For example in MH3U I found hunting horn, dual blades and longsword fun, but couldn't get into anything else. Once you find the weapon you can work with, you can figure out attack patterns and know when to strike. Hope that helps!

Lork

You'd have to be more specific about which game you're playing and what exactly you're having trouble with to get any real help.

However, if it's MH4 I can say that I found these videos very helpful, even as someone who has played previous games in the series.

Mozendo

Wait, the OP has GE2: Rage Burst for localization....has this been confirmed?!?! I'm a huge MH fan, but couldn't get into Toukiden. I've heard GE is a LOT of fun, so if this is true then consider me a purchase!
There was a trailer that was had English subs on one of Bamco's youtube channels and Rage Burst was trademarked in Europe by Bamco way back in January but other than that no news. If this doesn't get announced PS experience or whatever the event is called I'm just going to lose hope.

I haven't played the other series all that much, but from what I've seen of them they play differently from MH (in most cases they seem quicker). MH is very methodical. You need to plan and stock up for a hunt. Eating meals is important, as is ensuring you have the right items in your inventory. You also need to figure out what weapon works best with your play style. For example in MH3U I found hunting horn, dual blades and longsword fun, but couldn't get into anything else. Once you find the weapon you can work with, you can figure out attack patterns and know when to strike. Hope that helps!
Oh didn't know eating meals was important, that's probably why my hunts sometime ended up being over 20 minutes long, thanks.

You'd have to be more specific about which game you're playing and what exactly you're having trouble with to get any real help.
I have Monster Hunter Freedom and Portable 3rd.

Malyse

Actually there are no less than THREE English subbed trailers for GE2RB. Still, I'm cleaning the OP up. We actually know things about FFE for example, and I want to put release dates on the stuff we know.

Mentok

Banned
There was a trailer that was had English subs on one of Bamco's youtube channels and Rage Burst was trademarked in Europe by Bamco way back in January but other than that no news. If this doesn't get announced PS experience or whatever the event is called I'm just going to lose hope.

Oh didn't know eating meals was important, that's probably why my hunts sometime ended up being over 20 minutes long, thanks.

Oh damn, I didn't know about that trademakr! Please be true!! I need a good hunting game on my PS4!

And yes, eating meals that are specific to the hunt are very helpful. You generally want a stamina boost and if nothing else (i.e. nothing specific to the monster) then a defense/resistance boost. Also, start crafting potions and take them with you for things like stamina recovery and resistance to elements.

Actually there are no less than THREE English subbed trailers for GE2RB. Still, I'm cleaning the OP up. We actually know things about FFE for example, and I want to put release dates on the stuff we know.

....Now I'm on the hype train.

Malyse

Oh damn, I didn't know about that trademakr! Please be true!! I need a good hunting game on my PS4!

And yes, eating meals that are specific to the hunt are very helpful. You generally want a stamina boost and if nothing else (i.e. nothing specific to the monster) then a defense/resistance boost. Also, start crafting potions and take them with you for things like stamina recovery and resistance to elements.

....Now I'm on the hype train.
Lost Song is two weeks away.

JackelZXA

I never played PSO the way people play monster hunter. I would play the story mode and do full level runs of bosses, but I wouldn't grind for gear and drops. I had much more fun trying to fight the entire stage and boss solo. Beating ep2 on ultimate was my greatest accomplishment in life. (Olga Flow is the coolest) It's why I'm bummed that ep4 never got a disc release, because I need to play on private servers to access it and it feels like I've done it less. (It doesn't hurt that the design of ep4's boss was more coop focused, where avoiding damage is much less possible, something you could do in every boss in ep1 and 2, even gal gryphon and olga flow if you knew how do prepare for their most powerful attacks)

Malyse

I never played PSO the way people play monster hunter. I would play the story mode and do full level runs of bosses, but I wouldn't grind for gear and drops. I had much more fun trying to fight the entire stage and boss solo. Beating ep2 on ultimate was my greatest accomplishment in life. (Olga Flow is the coolest) It's why I'm bummed that ep4 never got a disc release, because I need to play on private servers to access it and it feels like I've done it less. (It doesn't hurt that the design of ep4's boss was more coop focused, where avoiding damage is much less possible, something you could do in every boss in ep1 and 2, even gal gryphon and olga flow if you knew how do prepare for their most powerful attacks)
PSP > PSO

PSP2i > PSO2 > PSP > PSO > PS0

Mephala

I found the older MH to be a slower experience. Hit boxes were messier and some of the bosses have a lot of hp.

I recommend spending a few minutes just moving in and out of the monsters' range. Try to find openings, move in, linger a bit to mimick an attack the. Get out. Find the distance at which you can get in to do damage when safe to do so. Find the duration you have for attacking a monster before you need to roll out. Add in some attacks when you feel confident about moving around the beast. Note which areas/parts gives the best hit feedback/blood. These are generally the parts that is doing the most damage based on monster and your attack type.

Dont forget to sheathe when not attacking.

Top Bottom