• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

So I bought Phantasy Star Nova and tried it out the last couple nights...it's great. I'm really disappointed that I've heard no word on a western release. I think it's a fantastic hunter style game so far and it had the best create a character set up I've yet seen in any of the hunter games.

Any chance we will see it releases in the west?

Z3M0G

No idea why Phantasy Star got dropped in the west... I always thought that those games were received very well over here...

Such good times...

I loved Phantasy Star Online back on the Dreamcast. Even better was Phantasy Star 4 on the Genesis/Megadrive.

I was itching for a good sci-fi RPG so I just bought Phantasy Star Nova. It turned out to be a really great game so far. Loved the create a character. I was impressed with it, obviously. And the fighting has been turned up many notches since Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast (I didn't play too much of the PSP or DS games, I tried but didn't like them too much).

It's sad that such a great game will be ignored in the west. The Vita deserves great games and PS Nova is one of the best games I've seen on a technical level for the VIta as well. Hopefully it'll find it's 0.5% of the way to the west.

Malyse

So I bought Phantasy Star Nova and tried it out the last couple nights...it's great. I'm really disappointed that I've heard no word on a western release. I think it's a fantastic hunter style game so far and it had the best create a character set up I've yet seen in any of the hunter games.

Any chance we will see it releases in the west?
To be fair, vanilla PSO2 has excellent character creation. Up there with EVE Online and Black Desert.

And no. Only hope is that the PSO2 PS4 gets localized and is successful enough that they remake PSN for PS4 a la FFT0 and Gravity Rush.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U was the first and only "hunting" game I've played. I ended up really liking it. I'd love to play MH4U, or even MH X if/when it comes to the west. The problem is I don't really like gaming on handhelds that much.

Any guesses on if we'll get another Monster Hunter for a home console?

wwm0nkey

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for Wii U was the first and only "hunting" game I've played. I ended up really liking it. I'd love to play MH4U, or even MH X if/when it comes to the west. The problem is I don't really like gaming on handhelds that much.

Any guesses on if we'll get another Monster Hunter for a home console?
Probably not till NX

Malyse

Finally updated the OP.

I don't know of any new franchise that have been announced, though I'm keeping an eye on Lost Reavers.

Malyse

Just a reminder: Final Fantasy Explorers releases tomorrow!

Here's a link to the OT

53facb143ac0c5.jpg

ChrisDM

Bumping this thread to give you guys a heads up that Monster Hunter Online now has a fan made English Patch

LINK

How's the learning curve on that game for someone who has only sunk maybe less than a dozen hours into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate? I was following the team making that patch for a while but then got intimidated after watching a stream.

wwm0nkey

How's the learning curve on that game for someone who has only sunk maybe less than a dozen hours into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate? I was following the team making that patch for a while but then got intimidated after watching a stream.

The learning curve is actually pretty nice for the MMO. Gradually teaches you the ropes

wwm0nkey

Can you play MHO easily as a NA player? Last I looked you needed SSNs n shit.
No you can validate* your identity though other methods in QQ

Also when installing it installed some other software but it was easy to uninstall that stuff. Overall it wasn't hard to get everything set up.

I got to start Phantasy Star Nova today and am loving this game. Seems nicely optimized for the PSTV and it's a joy to control via dualshock 4. At first I wasn't enjoying it much as a Hunter, but once I restarted as a Ranger it clicked immediately after trying the dual machineguns. Guns seem more fun to use compared to melee, but that might change later. The whole game is extremely fast paced and I keep wanting to do one more mission/run. Walking over items to pick up....great quality of life fix! And it is nice to be able to beat a mission without having to clear all enemies like in much of Phantasy Star Portable.

First boss was epic. The dragon with all the weapons and stuff attached to it looked great and it was fun to destroy it's many parts. His head looked like the dragon from Panzer Dragoon. Story wise I don't know the exact details but it seems exactly like Xenoblade Chronicles X so far (exploring an alien world is easy to appreciate IMO). CG cinemas have a cinematic flair that makes me not want to skip, so even in Japanese it is holding my attention.

As someone who doesn't have any way to play PSO2 right now I am so happy to have found out about this game. It's not the same for sure, but it is giving me a new fix in this series that had flown under the radar. Helped that I snagged it new for $15. It's also very import friendly and having a quick translation guide on my phone fills in the missing pieces. Anyone who has dabbled in PSO should feel right at home.

I started God Eater Resurrection the other day on PS4. I'm about 12 or so hours in and I like it a lot. Pace is quick, not a lot of downtime between missions. Crafting is simple enough. Reminds me a lot of Toukiden. Might pass on MHG since I've got God Eater and God Eater 2 coming next month.

Malyse

I got to start Phantasy Star Nova today and am loving this game. Seems nicely optimized for the PSTV and it's a joy to control via dualshock 4. At first I wasn't enjoying it much as a Hunter, but once I restarted as a Ranger it clicked immediately after trying the dual machineguns. Guns seem more fun to use compared to melee, but that might change later. The whole game is extremely fast paced and I keep wanting to do one more mission/run. Walking over items to pick up....great quality of life fix! And it is nice to be able to beat a mission without having to clear all enemies like in much of Phantasy Star Portable.

First boss was epic. The dragon with all the weapons and stuff attached to it looked great and it was fun to destroy it's many parts. His head looked like the dragon from Panzer Dragoon. Story wise I don't know the exact details but it seems exactly like Xenoblade Chronicles X so far (exploring an alien world is easy to appreciate IMO). CG cinemas have a cinematic flair that makes me not want to skip, so even in Japanese it is holding my attention.

As someone who doesn't have any way to play PSO2 right now I am so happy to have found out about this game. It's not the same for sure, but it is giving me a new fix in this series that had flown under the radar. Helped that I snagged it new for $15. It's also very import friendly and having a quick translation guide on my phone fills in the missing pieces. Anyone who has dabbled in PSO should feel right at home.

I don't understand not having a way to play PSO2. It's on Vita, PC, PS4 and Mobile and half of those have translation patches.

And yes, I'm still playing PSO2 to the neglect of literally everything else.

I don't understand not having a way to play PSO2. It's on Vita, PC, PS4 and Mobile and half of those have translation patches.

I am so out of the loop that I wasn't even aware how easy it was to play on PS4. Now that I know I'm going to be checking it out asap. Thanks!

Alboreo

I am so out of the loop that I wasn't even aware how easy it was to play on PS4. Now that I know I'm going to be checking it out asap. Thanks!

If you do, roll a character on Ship 2 as it's the main English ship. My characters names are Tiki and Albireo, add me and we can play together. I'm on pretty much every chance I get. :)

I started God Eater Resurrection the other day on PS4. I'm about 12 or so hours in and I like it a lot. Pace is quick, not a lot of downtime between missions. Crafting is simple enough. Reminds me a lot of Toukiden. Might pass on MHG since I've got God Eater and God Eater 2 coming next month.

I'm kind of with you on this. I picked up Resurrection when it came out and have been playing a lot, but I really want MHG as well. I'm also incredibly broke, so that's probably swaying my opinion a bit as well.

preta

Would anyone want to play PSO on a private server with me sometime? I never played it when the official servers were up but I'd like to get the general experience. I don't know that I want to get too into grinding for drops though.

If you do, roll a character on Ship 2 as it's the main English ship. My characters names are Tiki and Albireo, add me and we can play together. I'm on pretty much every chance I get. :)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind once I get into the game and acclimate to it a bit. I just finished creating my JP PSN account and found my old Sega ID (only used once years ago lol). I can't believe I am downloading PSO2 on my PS4 and will be playing it tomorrow!

So glad I came into the thread to gush about finding PS Nova, because I was alerted on how I could play a game I have wanted to play for years.

It's laggy as hell because Japan server. I'm not going to put up with bad lag because Sega is a shit company. Fuck em, there's other games out there.

Oregano

Between Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Phantasy Star 0, which is the better choice? I'd be willing to buy a cheap PSP if PSP2 is worth it.

I've not played the PSP games but I believe they are generally more well liked but I'm not sure if its due to the game design or the different levels of technical specs.

Vanilla Destiny was basically PSO but an FPS

It's leaned a lot more into MMO territory with The Taken King though, but whether or not you like that is up to you!

IMACOMPUTA

Which versions have translation patches other than PC?!

Picked up Monster Hunter 4 recently and I've been having a lot of fun. That said, I was a big fan of PSO and I'm looking for something that scratches that science fantasy itch a bit. Would you guys recommend God Eater for PS4?

I tried PSO2 a while back and enjoyed it, but I have trouble moving past the Japanese text and the like. Game would destroy my life if it ever got localized.

Malyse

Picked up Monster Hunter 4 recently and I've been having a lot of fun. That said, I was a big fan of PSO and I'm looking for something that scratches that science fantasy itch a bit. Would you guys recommend God Eater for PS4?

I tried PSO2 a while back and enjoyed it, but I have trouble moving past the Japanese text and the like. Game would destroy my life if it ever got localized.

I'd prefer to destroy your life actually.
http://arks-layer.com/

Fou-Lu

I love PSO2 and have played quite a bit of the Japanese version, but it's just not quite the same having the language barrier between you and most of the other players.

Top Bottom