• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Universe Developer's blog 8/23: Expert mode, Street Date Warning + more

kiryogi

Banned
http://blog.phantasystaruniverse.jp/

Thanks to PSOW

http://www.pso-world.com/index.php

n today's interview on the official PSU blog, the developers went over some details about the battle system. Probably the most exciting thing to come out of this interview was some new information about Expert Mode. According to the screenshots, you will be able to choose from a number of advanced jobs. These advanced job combinations will provide you with unique combinations of stat boosts and weapon-handling capabilities. If you decided to take your class to its extreme, you will be able to handle S-Rank weapons in most of the categories that are associated with a specific class. For example, a character that completely specializes in the Hunter category will probably be able to handle all S-Rank melee equipment. However, you will still be free to change your Advanced Job at any time by visiting the appropriate counter on the Guardian Colony. Please keep in mind that in addition to having stat requirements, weapons also have grade requirements. If you want to use a S-Rank Sword and your character only has an A-Rank proficiency with his/her current job, you will be unable to use it.

In other recent developer interviews, they talked about the online gaming experience. One of the biggest changes from PSO will be the communcations system. It has been designed to be more realistic. For example, if you far away from someone, their text bubble will be small. If a large group of people say the same thing, a massive text bubble will appear instead of the screen being flooded with smaller ones. In addition, people will be able to use team chat and only the people in your team will be able to read what you type. This was implemented to replace using simple mail for private conversations.

According to Gamefront.de, Sega of Japan warned distributors today not to break the street date for Phantasy Star Universe. The earliest the game can go on sale is August 31st at 7 am. Breaking the street date could have serious legal repercussions. Also, if someone attempts to go online before that date, their account will be suspended indefinitely. So if you happen to receive the game early, be sure to wait until the 31st to go online.

So any of you eager folk that luck out at a mom and pop store or in asia, don't sign on any earlier :eek:

Also, if someone attempts to go online before that date, their account will be suspended indefinitely.

That's pretty harsh considering some people might just "luck" out and go plunk it in their console, without knowing better. Hopefully that's just a threat. Not everyone gets informed on gaming sites about restrictions like these.

Troidal

LOL. Are they afraid of the cheaters and hackers to come on board so quickly? Well they better have better security and fail-safe systems this time. Cuz PSO just went straight to hell with all the cheating. Then again it happens to a lot of online games.

My God the wait is absolute murder.
If they announce Ultimate difficulty/Challenge mode from PSO and a revamped/improved battle mode the wait will just get worse.

EDIT: All of the online characters will be saved server-side. At the worst I imagine a duping exploit will be found but eh. Considering the droprates in PSO BB at least I'd be able to get a handful of the uber rare 1 in 65,000+ drops. If not already I figure PSU will also have guilds ala PSO BB so you can always find a legit guild and play with them.

kiryogi

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
My God the wait is absolute murder.
If they announce Ultimate difficulty/Challenge mode from PSO and a revamped/improved battle mode the wait will just get worse.

EDIT: All of the online characters will be saved server-side. At the worst I imagine a duping exploit will be found but eh. Considering the droprates in PSO BB at least I'd be able to get a handful of the uber rare 1 in 65,000+ drops. If not already I figure PSU will also have guilds ala PSO BB so you can always find a legit guild and play with them.

Guilds are gone, rares are pretty extremely rare for the actual good stuff. Normally finding the synthesis board for a scape doll is considered rare or a scape itself :eek: The game announces when a rare is found and who found it. Also you can have options that'll round robin items found, or random distribution besides the usual first come and get.

kiryogi

Banned
Indeed. My PC copy should be here tomorrow. On t he other hand i've been reading impressions about offline. Definitely picks up after chapter 1 :D It must be noted that the game is presented like a weekly anime. There's an opening/credits/preview format for each chapter.

Dachande

Does the Japanese version come with the English translation, like PSO and some of Sonic Team's other Japanese games did?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
kiryogi said:
Indeed. My PC copy should be here tomorrow. On t he other hand i've been reading impressions about offline. Definitely picks up after chapter 1 :D It must be noted that the game is presented like a weekly anime. There's an opening/credits/preview format for each chapter.

What have they been saying about the offline mode? I was very disappointed with the PSO format of online action RPG, especially since I like the turn based originals so much... but one of the things the original PS series did so well was have a great story and fully realized setting. I'm really hoping single player PSU will have this...

The End

kiryogi said:

Oh man, I loved that in Disgaea.

MrDaravon

djtiesto said:
What have they been saying about the offline mode? I was very disappointed with the PSO format of online action RPG, especially since I like the turn based originals so much... but one of the things the original PS series did so well was have a great story and fully realized setting. I'm really hoping single player PSU will have this...

I think you're going to be pretty disappointed.

bjork

So I just finished chapter 1, and I like what I've played so far. I can't understand a lick of what's being said aside from a few common words, but I get the gist of the story well enough.
took me forever to figure out how to equip the goggles, heh

I like the strafing and the ability to have multiple weapon setups, too. Is there any way to revisit old chapters, or do you have to clear the entire game first? I'm only at level 3 or 4 so far, and I don't see how there's any way to grind in story mode. Hopefully someone gets a barebones FAQ up soon, heh

{Mike}

Banned
djtiesto said:
I can't say yet, but I doubt PSU's story is that great, and I also think PS as a turn-based RPG won't see the light of day anymore.

bjork

{Mike} said:
I can't say yet, but I doubt PSU's story is that great, and I also think PS as a turn-based RPG won't see the light of day anymore.

PSU's story is definitely a bit more fleshed out than PSO... since PSO's was told via those little pod things on the ground. PSU has a lot more story setup, at least at the beginning... it's not just "please find my daughter! oh yeah, and kill these monsters." There's a dude talking to you on a phone thing throughout the entire first chapter, but I think it's mostly tutorial stuff.

{Mike}

Banned
bjork said:
PSU's story is definitely a bit more fleshed out than PSO... since PSO's was told via those little pod things on the ground. PSU has a lot more story setup, at least at the beginning... it's not just "please find my daughter! oh yeah, and kill these monsters." There's a dude talking to you on a phone thing throughout the entire first chapter, but I think it's mostly tutorial stuff.

Otis from future CONFIRMED :lol

MrDaravon

Where's all the import impressions? :( I know they had the rollback last night (lol), but isn't anyone playing story mode? I got to play the game for about an hour at a friend's house yesterday, and I'm probably going to borrow it on Monday, but since I don't know Japanese I don't really want to make the thread. I got to just past the goggles part. They do something!

Top Bottom