• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Fish has Twitter tantrum, cancels Fez 2 and goes home with his ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he doesn't have fun making games anymore, then so be it, it's better like this. Fez 2 probably would have made him a lot of money, but that can't be his only motivating factor. Time does heal things though, so I don't think we can say for sure (him included) that he'll never come back to the games industry. Good luck to Phil in his future endeavors.

DieH@rd

Banned
No matter if he is leaving or just messing with us, he gets this from me

ByeBitch.gif

I wish him all the best in his future endevors.

So... More DLC incoming for Indie Game The Movie?

"I have to go now, my planet needs me. "

" Phil Fish died on the way back to his home planet"

zroid

Banned
Hopefully he will find a career better suited to his disposition. Even though he was not without talent at game design.

Balehead

Sometimes an artist has to go to the darkest of places to create his next work. I think this is Fish doing just that. Fez 2 is going to be groundbreaking.

Leflus

So no guest appearance at MS' Gamescom conference with Phil & Phil? :(

Best of luck to Phil Fish. He's quite the character, but I never wanted him to leave the industry.

gngf123

I like Phil Fish, but people really need tougher skin when it comes to the internet.

It's quite easy to say that when you aren't in a position of getting constant abuse every day of your life.

Despite what some people think, it can wear you down. Especially when you get the insane volumes of crazy crap that Phil got.

Yeah, he might have deserved some of it, all of maybe 1% of the stuff he actually received.

Empty

i'd be upset as despite being an unprofessional child, he's a very interesting game designer

but i'd be very very surprised if this is a permanent move, he's just hitting out in whichever way he can. i'm sure he'll be back, he might hate people's reactions right now but he sure as hell loved people's reactions to fez 2. it's like me as a kid declaring that i'd never love my parents again because they wouldn't let me stay up past my bedtime to watch a bond film.

that said, his relationship with the gaming world is clearly unhealthy to him personally and i hope the consequences to this bold public stance allows him to re-adjust the way he relates to it for the better going forwards.

Fish is an incredibly talented jackass and I sincerely hope he returns someday after cooling off and getting the help he so clearly needs.

I haven't really cared about Fish or his game for the entire arc of the Fez saga that's transpired on the internet.

That said, yeah I can imagine being in that position would get intense and difficult to handle depending on your personality. But who knows, maybe in 20 years he'll make his return (if one was to take this departure seriously in the first place). Dude's in a great position regardless of where he chooses to go from here anyway.

This is very sad news. I never got the chance to play Fez, but I watched Indie Game: The Movie and, although Fish is kind of a jackass at times, it seems like it's because he actually cares a whole lot about the work that he crafts. It's completely understandable for him to react the way that he has, but I really hope he isn't truly leaving the gaming industry. We really need more people like him.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Totally justifiable to quit all of video gaming because someone on Gametrailers called him a hipster? In which Fish told that guy to "kill himself?"

Sounds like Fish was in the right.

You seem to forget the hundreds of tweets he received, insulting him.

Lunar15

I hope he can just take a long look at what's worth doing in life.

Is it worth it to let a marginal yet loud group keep you from doing what you want, or is it truly something that's crippling your ability to live life to the fullest?

I hope he can answer these questions, but at the same time, I can't quite say that his behavior is justified.

Halvie

Banned
Dude didn't deserve any of this

Yeah, he wrote a bunch of shit on Twitter sometimes, but this time he was right

Fucked up situation

Doesn't it pretty much go this way whenever someone is in the spotlight? Why would he expect the majority of comments to be positive especially given some of his rants? Does it work that way in any other industry...? That said, I would rather him to continue to make games than not.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Videogame "Journalist": hey Phil, since you're always bashing Microsoft because they have horrible policies in place that make your job much harder, what do you think of this leaked-pretty-much-confirmed story that they're making things better for indie developers like you?

Phil: Hnnng stop asking me about that jeez do your job don't just ask me stuff

Videogame "Journalist": It's always the same thing with you: Every time somebody asks you something about your most defining thing, you bitch and moan, but when you release a new game, you want all of us to talk about it.

Phil: Be a better journalist, man.

Public: Oh goddammit Phil Fish is back on his antics. FEZ is overrated anyway

Phil: Good job everyone you all hate me FEZ II is cancelled my life is miserable. :(

End scene

Flarin

I'm not sure this has to do with abuse as much as it does Phil being mentally unstable. Did anyone see Indie Game: The Movie?

Is he going to be able to easily find a job elsewhere with his incredibly public facing comments that are offensive or abrasive? All it takes is a twitter search and movie watch to find out this dude's character.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

That makes his entire argument against Japanese gaming completely biased and outright worthless. I realize a large majority of Game journalist feel this way, but seriously its so freaking biased. A lot of game concepts and genres were defined by the Japanese industry. I thought a lot of what he said was BS and I wouldn't of supported him either way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is very sad news. I never got the chance to play Fez, but I watched Indie Game: The Movie and, although Fish is kind of a jackass at times, it seems like it's because he actually cares a whole lot about the work that he crafts. It's completely understandable for him to react the way that he has, but I really hope he isn't truly leaving the gaming industry. We really need more people like him.

No, we really don't. As one of the most visible indie developers out there, he makes indie devs, as a whole, look really, really bad. And Fez wasn't nearly good enough to justify his attitude.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Never played Fez. But based on his reputation I'm not surprised people think he'll backpedal or this is some kind of publicity stunt to get him and his game attention.

That being said...people do kind of go at him pretty hard. Haha

Addnan

I don't care how he was. I've followed him on twitter for ages, seems pretty funny more than anything. Loved FEZ. Bought it twice, would buy again. Urkh, I hate this. I wanted 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom