• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Fish has Twitter tantrum, cancels Fez 2 and goes home with his ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus. I hope that he does this for better of his health. Must be hard to take that much hate (which is probably why he snaps so many times like he does).

I don't understand people who get offended by this kind of shit. We didn't see Jay Wilson implode publically on Twitter after everybody in the entire gaming world hated Diablo 3 and wanted to lynch his ass. The hatred that Fish gets is earned by his childish, pathetic behavior, which in turns causes him to behave even more petulantly in response, and on the cycle goes.

It's quite easy to say that when you aren't in a position of getting constant abuse every day of your life.

Despite what some people think, it can wear you down. Especially when you get the insane volumes of crazy crap that Phil got.

Yeah, he might have deserved some of it, all of maybe 1% of the stuff he actually received.

Then leave the internet. Don't go to the comment section. I do it all the time, but I shouldn't, because it's dumb as hell to sit there and look at all that shit.

No one forces you to respond or look at the shit people write to you. Nobody. In fact, there are quite a few writers that I know that avoid getting in e-fights because it is stressful.

Didn't help that he'd say stupid shit, and people have every right to say what they want because that's our freedom.

Nibel

Totally justifiable to quit all of video gaming because someone on Gametrailers called him a hipster? In which Fish told that guy to "kill himself?"

Sounds like Fish was in the right.

Don't be stupid

The whole Beer-Fish-thing was the last straw that broke the camel's back - I'm not defending the "kill yourself" comment, but it was a bad used quote from Futurama. Beer had no fucking reason to call him out like that, he even says he's not a game journalist, so why does he play the white knight for his game journo friends? Ach

Whatever - I never was a big fan of FEZ or Phil, but man this whole situation is unfair and it shows that many people ignore what really happened today

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Some really vile stuff in this thread.

Whether you like him or not isn't relevant. Nobody deserves the amount of shit he gets every day.

Shame. I haven't really been following what's been happening with this, but the guy does seem pretty sensitive and emotional and he seems to get a lot of unjustified shit. What he probably needs to do is rather than quit the games industry is quit Twitter, or rejoin under a secret pseudonym.

McDougles

You seem to forget the hundreds of tweets he received, insulting him.

You seem to forget the hundreds of tweets he's sent, insulting anyone that doesn't cater to his self-diagnosed brilliance.

The dude got hateful comments because he carried himself in a manner unbecoming of polite society. He may be talented to some, but he's not a nice person.

Sadist

So, see you next week?

Sounds to me that the Gametrailers afair was pretty childish; I'm not a fan of Fish, but that was uncalled for.

x3sphere

I like Phil Fish, but people really need tougher skin when it comes to the internet.

Have you had thousands of people spewing venom at you on Twitter?

Opinions of the guy aside, it's a fucking shame that it looks like we lost someone that brought creativity to this industry over something like this. People get in disagreements and say things they don't mean every day, it just doesn't always blow up on Twitter like Phil's confrontation did.

My opinion on this matter is rooted in the same type of thinking I explored in this previous post:
Nothing on the internet accurately depicts the thoughts and opinions of the majority of consumers by any stretch of the imagination. The internet is a minority majority party to the extreme. The statistics of it has a lot of different names, the 1% rule, the 80/20 rule, etc. The general gist of it is that the vast majority of people (90%) never even create an account, post, or otherwise contribute beyond consumption. Of those 10% who do create an account, the majority of them only post a few times if at all. A small subset might post with some occasional regularity every week or so (3%), but it's that final 1% who actually create what we might think of as internet culture because they post daily, and they post continuously.

Furthermore, those 1% who do post will have their content skew to the extremes. Much like in real life, people with negative experiences or outlooks tend to be the most vocal because they have the most to gripe about. People who had just slightly negative experiences don't feel it's necessary to make a fuss because "it wasn't that bad", and those who have a positive experience are silently happy and feel no need to communicate their satisfaction. It's only the people whose experience was so completely amazing that will share despite social instincts.

Just look at any Amazon review or fan sub-culture forum/thread, and it's clear that the 1% of people who post, are generally going to be either a "5 star" or "1 star" type person, or at the very least, they're far more vocal/invested than the "3-star" type. Things on the internet inevitably devolve to being either amazing or shitty. People who are content creators have to be ready for that statistical anomaly and have a thick skin, otherwise their self esteem is going to be eroded over time regardless of what the actual consumer reaction is.

Lotto

This dude was way too emotionally invested in this. He's probably better off to not be in this industry. Good luck to him with whatever he decides to do next.

Lunzio

To put it into perspective, while he may not know how to necessarily deal with the abuse, he takes constant ridicule on a daily basis.

This is a good decision for his own sake, though, I honestly don't think we can doubt that he certainly had a significant role in gaming.

Can't say I blame him.

He definitely created some of the abuse that came his way with his own actions, but the vitriolic nature with which people treated him was always pretty disgusting and overblown to me.

Miles X

He's a liar, and is clearly incredibly immature and emotionally inept.

I think he's doing this so people turn on Marcus personally, nobody jacks in their career/passion so easily.

megalowho

Working on a game for years on end sounds stressful enough, can't fault him for finally getting fed up with being a constant punching bag on top of that. He's super talented, all drama aside I just want to play more games from that guy. Whatever road it takes, I suppose.

dreamfall

He's such a diva. It's entertaining but, it's also pretty infuriating.

Yeah, "game journalism" is a joke. But they're advertising for your shitty game, praising it, trying to learn about it, and you're too much of an amazing developer that you hate it when people ask about it?

I don't understand it.

LordJim

Have you had thousands of people spewing venom at you on Twitter?

Opinions of the guy aside, it's a fucking shame that it looks like we lost someone that brought creativity to this industry over something like this. People get in disagreements and say things they don't mean every day, it just doesn't always blow up on Twitter like Phil's confrontation did.

"that brought creativity to this industry"
Heh.

Also, we talk about the 'Choke on my dick guy'.
What the fuck did you expect?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You seem to forget the hundreds of tweets he's sent, insulting anyone that doesn't cater to his self-diagnosed brilliance and pretension.

The dude got hateful comments because he carried himself in a manner unbecoming of polite society. He may be talented to some, but he's not a nice person.

Yeah, you're right, but it probably leads into this:

I don't understand people who get offended by this kind of shit. We didn't see Jay Wilson implode publically on Twitter after everybody in the entire gaming world hated Diablo 3 and wanted to lynch his ass. The hatred that Fish gets is earned by his childish, pathetic behavior, which in turns causes him to behave even more petulantly in response, and on the cycle goes.

It's a vicious circle. One that should have never begun in the first place.

Corto

I hope he creates a fake persona and continues to create games under a pseudonym. That would be a great homage to Kaufman.

foxtrot3d

Banned
So, see you next week?

Pretty much. If anyone actually thinks he is quitting then he has successfully trolled you and you've fed further into his ego. Around tomorrow he'll tweet how he was just joking and be right back at being an ass and making games.

Vibranium

Banned
Goodbye Phil. He's a decent designer from what I can see, but yeah, I think he really should go seek help from a counsellor, there's obviously some problems going on with his emotional state. He needs to take a long break and get away from negativity, the internet can be a horrible place but responding with kindness is the best thing you can do, not with aggravating comments.

If he's just trolling everyone though, that just makes him out to be even more childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom