• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: “We want you to hear the games first, not our console.”

SaucyJack

I just beat TLOU2 with my Pro fan running so loud i literally couldnt hear the dialogue without turning it all the way up. even if i could hear the dialogue, the noise was basically a third person in the room screaming while im watching these intense scenes unfold.

at this point, its not something i would even joke about lol. its infuriating. sick burn though. of course, sony can reply back with 'what games?' and it would be an even sicker burn but i digress.

I've got a Pro and a normal PS4 and I can only stand to play TLOU2 on the Pro for the same reason, fan on standard PS4 is the loudest of any game I've played. Barely a murmur from it on the Pro though

Dargor

So why make a "noisy PS4" joke now? The PS5 is months away from being released.

My guess would be he is trying to hype his product up and get some space under the sun back from sony. The attention is all on playstation since they got a good press reveal of the console and their biggest game released shortly after.

Valentino

Why does my console never make a noise :lollipop_confused:
Like ever. Does this get exaggerated? If my machine started sounding loud trying to run a game, I’d just allow It. If the game is humungous then it’s something I’d just look past. Most of you got your sticky headphones on anyway :lollipop_unamused:

Dibils2k

he is not wrong, i literally have to turn up my audio way too loud to hear dialogue. one of the reasons i am waiting for PS5 to play TLOU2

this was 2 years ago too, i swear its even worse when it gets to full swing

i refuse to believe there is a quiet PS4 Pro in the world (after atleast 1-2 year use), and if there is plz make a video playing God Of War or Horizon Zero Dawn and prove it, for my sanity

Last edited:

Chumpion

I guess most gamers don't care about noise that much, or maybe they live in a loud home. Myself, I can't stand it.

I couldn't put a noisebox in my living room. Especially after spending so much time and money optimizing my sound system. So I'm waiting nervously how the cooling situation shakes out.

sircaw

Banned
I do get the joke, its not bad but i feel its targeted at the wrong generation. Last generation would probably of worked better.

If the ps5 turns out to be whisper quite, i suspect that comment might come back in a few memes.

The first one i can think of the top of my head is, Its loud cos its playing a GAME Phil.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
He must’ve forgotten what his Xbox 360 sounded like, then :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Was the 360 loud? I can't really remember, I think the disc drive might have been loud - and the seperate brick had a buzz/hum if you were close.

This is such a weird shot to take at "THIS" point. He should have used this joke when the Xbox One X came out.

TBH it's the perfect time. Sony just dropping two IP's that are likely to sell like hot cakes and you get responses like this:

I just beat TLOU2 with my Pro fan running so loud i literally couldnt hear the dialogue without turning it all the way up. even if i could hear the dialogue, the noise was basically a third person in the room screaming while im watching these intense scenes unfold.

I'm expecting the same in GoT as well to be honest but hoping Sucker Punch have managed some magic. There's going to be a lot of Playstation owners playing these new games and becoming annoyed by it. I'm gonna try GoT on the Pro Slim and see if it makes much of a difference. Not even trying the OG Pro.

splattered

Weird how certain people in this thread seem offended "Not funny!" or "No games!"

Really people? It was a joke...

Either that or it's possible he's already had some hands on with dev/retail kit for PS5 and yeah they're still noisey.

Would noise really be a deal breaker for any of you? You know you're still going to buy it anyway.

LokusAbriss

He must’ve forgotten what his Xbox 360 sounded like, then :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Compared to my fat jet-fan PS3, my Xbox 360 made zero noise, after experiencing the read ring of death.

A noisy console is unacceptable. It was great, when the 360 was finally updated for game installation.

The one x raises the fan sometimes. I had it in Metro Exodus. But that is no comparison to a loud PS3 or PS4.

Phil and the team must truly have something spectacular lined up for him to release such a sick burn. If there was ever a bear in the games industry that you wouldn’t want to poke with a stick, Sony would definitely be that bear.....unless you have a trick up your sleeve (such as bear spray 😯)

Andodalf

Banned
Phil and the team must truly have something spectacular lined up for him to release such a sick burn. If there was ever a bear in the games industry that you wouldn’t want to poke with a stick, Sony would definitely be that bear.....unless you have a trick up your sleeve (such as bear spray 😯)

They have at least one AAA game for launch that isn’t going to be compared to expansions by company execs

Daring7

Neo Member
Was the 360 loud?

Can’t speak for everyone, but the two I had were pretty loud, almost jet like during most games and that annoying whine when it was just sitting there.

PS4 is louder for me during the OS in game, and certain beefy games. My One X died, and came back a lot louder after repair. But I use headphones, so the noise never really bothers me.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just don't care either way about the PR machines behind these companies.

Gimme the products and games.

MrS

Banned
People are looking in to this way too much. I don't even think he was slating PS4. What grounds does he really have to slate PS4 when Xbox gaming division has been so bad this gen? I don't think there was any ill intent on Phil's part, and I'm somebody who would be the first to call him a cunt if I thought there was.

JimboJones

Can’t speak for everyone, but the two I had were pretty loud, almost jet like during most games and that annoying whine when it was just sitting there.

PS4 is louder for me during the OS in game, and certain beefy games. My One X died, and came back a lot louder after repair. But I use headphones, so the noise never really bothers me.
Yeah two I had and my friends where loud, installation helped a bit but the fans where still pretty bad.
Didn't mind back then but I do notice now, makes you reluctant to use old 360 hardware. Luckily BC exists.

GymWolf

Oh shit, phil with dat juvenile zinger to ps4

h3PSQgz.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Doesn't matter if the Xbox series x supposedly has games, the Xbox one didn't. Just like how the ps5 is supposedly quiet, and the ps4 wasnt which is what hes taking a dig at.

the xbox one had arguably the most pathetic line up of games of any gen ever. even the original xbox one which was only in the market for 4 years had a better lineup. titanfall and sunset overdrive were the last two truly great games on the platform and they came out 6 years ago.

pr0cs

Pretty good dig, considering how terrible the fan noise is with the PS4. Hopefully they fixed their shit with the PS5

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't matter if the Xbox series x supposedly has games, the Xbox one didn't. Just like how the ps5 is supposedly quiet, and the ps4 wasnt which is what hes taking a dig at.

the xbox one had arguably the most pathetic line up of games of any gen ever. even the original xbox one which was only in the market for 4 years had a better lineup. titanfall and sunset overdrive were the last two truly great games on the platform and they came out 6 years ago.
Why do people keep saying this? Compared to Sony? Yeah, PS had the better line up of games. Did Xbox have no games? Don't be silly. Ori, Gears, Forza Horizon.

LostDonkey

he is not wrong, i literally have to turn up my audio way too loud to hear dialogue. one of the reasons i am waiting for PS5 to play TLOU2

this was 2 years ago too, i swear its even worse when it gets to full swing

i refuse to believe there is a quiet PS4 Pro in the world (after atleast 1-2 year use), and if there is plz make a video playing God Of War or Horizon Zero Dawn and prove it, for my sanity

Mine never sounds that loud. I barely ever hear it. That's insane. I'd say that's faulty.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why do people keep saying this? Compared to Sony? Yeah, PS had the better line up of games. Did Xbox have no games? Don't be silly. Ori, Gears, Forza Horizon.
its referring to the quality of games. its not meant to be taken literally.

xbox does release 2-3 exceedingly mediocre games every year. i dont think thats anything to write home about though.

That only works if there are games people want to play, Phil. My PS4 might not be the quietest console out there, but at least it has games I actually care about.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Some people really get all upset over an executive taking a dig at its competitor. Shows who really takes this plastic war seriously lol.

This is a good move imo. You have to start some kind of of controversy, it sells. And obviously its what the brand needs. Can't just be all smiles and small talk.

Ogbert

All joking aside, my PS4 pro is borderline ridiculous playing TLOU2. I've had to adjust all the audio settings so only the voices can be heard, as I'm having to turn up the volume to drown out the fans.

Top Bottom