• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: “We want you to hear the games first, not our console.”

Arkam

Lol, No other Game has been soooooo quiet tbh. Do you have a pro?

In God of war it was screaming, It was very quiet with Tlou2
I think it’s model to model or at least certain production runs. I read all the time about this “jet engine” but have never heard the fan on either my base or pro Unless in a silent room. Maybe it’s where you have them or how clean you keep em. Cuz like you TLOU2 is super quiet on mine.

Dibils2k

Mine never sounds that loud. I barely ever hear it. That's insane. I'd say that's faulty.
my brother and a friend have similarly loud PS4 Pros so i never thought it was faulty

it is a launch PS4 Pro, and have heard newer ones have improved ABIT in that area but yeah, cant imagine a quiet one lol

joe_zazen

I think it’s model to model or at least certain production runs. I read all the time about this “jet engine” but have never heard the fan on either my base or pro Unless in a silent room. Maybe it’s where you have them or how clean you keep em. Cuz like you TLOU2 is super quiet on mine.

some silicon will produce less heat, depending on the purity. It is the basis of the silicon lottery and binning. Plus, sony uses different fan manufacturers. You lucked out.

sony went ultra cheap with the ps4, and one of the results was millions of angry pro owners, including me. That doesnt mean every pro is the same.

Tulipanzo

he totally is.

evidence:
Dev kit is a noisy minster, ps5 cpu is very high freq, extreme ssd (heat generation), and a console design that emphasises form over function. Maybe not as horrific as pro, but it wont be quiet.
Just to pop in, we have no reports about dev kit noise.
Even if we did we won't play on devkits, and a thin and tall design, completely lined with vents on both sides, is quite an indication it will be quiet.
That, and both Cerny and execs also commenting on how loud PS4s are, and how they aim to fix that.

Phil here is coming out with a "dig" a few years too late...

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Wow, didn't know the PS4 Pro was so loud. It must break immersion.

alot has to do with what frequency is being gerated. If it was kind of a white noise, it could easily fade into the background. But damn, the particular freq generate grates like, idk

joe_zazen

Just to pop in, we have no reports about dev kit noise.
Even if we did we won't play on devkits, and a thin and tall design, completely lined with vents on both sides, is quite an indication it will be quiet.
That, and both Cerny and execs also commenting on how loud PS4s are, and how they aim to fix that.

Phil here is coming out with a "dig" a few years too late...

hope so. But as a consumer that feels burned, they dont get my benefit of doubt. and I’ll keep warning people till we get solid reports.

REDRZA MWS

he is not wrong, i literally have to turn up my audio way too loud to hear dialogue. one of the reasons i am waiting for PS5 to play TLOU2

this was 2 years ago too, i swear its even worse when it gets to full swing

i refuse to believe there is a quiet PS4 Pro in the world (after atleast 1-2 year use), and if there is plz make a video playing God Of War or Horizon Zero Dawn and prove it, for my sanity

Mine is the same. Horrific. And using a headset shouldn’t be a requirement. The noise level is unacceptable. Sony, in its past, was a renowned hardware/tech company. Tv’s, audio equipment, all these generations of playstation. To get to a point these consoles are unbearably loud? Stop making excuses for poor design and/or cheaper parts/materials/build quality.

The PS5 better not make ANY noise.

LostDonkey

my brother and a friend have similarly loud PS4 Pros so i never thought it was faulty

it is a launch PS4 Pro, and have heard newer ones have improved ABIT in that area but yeah, cant imagine a quiet one lol

Yeah mines a launch pro. I guess I just got lucky. I hear people saying they sound like jet engines but I thought they were just exaggerated until I saw your video.

Kokoloko85

he totally is.

evidence:
Dev kit is a noisy minster, ps5 cpu is very high freq, extreme ssd (heat generation), and a console design that emphasises form over function. Maybe not as horrific as pro, but it wont be quiet.

Where has there been news the dev kit is noisy? Id love to see the evidence.

saintjules

Didn't MS show the Console first at TGA and then had DF and Austin Evans come to Washington to have hands on with the Console before showing games (aside from HB2)? No real games were shown first during those parts.

Esppiral

I had a launch Ps4 and it was unplayable it was about to take off anytime, my new ps4 slim is super quite even playing spiderman, god of war and TLOU 2, my Xbox One X is getting louder with the time, while playing games like RDR2 is sounds way louder than my ps4 slim.

I never got a Pro because of the reported fan noises, same reason I stopped playing my 360, that thing was loud as fuuuu.

Kokoloko85

Mr flip flop Spencer. One minute Playstaion is competition, then there not and i Google is the competition. Then Playstation is competition again..... guy cant make his mind up no wonder the results are what they are.

If you want to treat them as competition, your losing big time....

How about show some games Phil....Please someone dont mention Gears or Forza....

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Funny how recently my launch day Scorpio has been getting quite loud under heavy load though nothing like what TLOU2 did to my Pro.
is your ps4 pro a launch day model too?

i only played like three games on my xbox one x so it didnt get much use, but my pro has been used repeatedly like a cheap whore and now moans like one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Larvana

Mr flip flop Spencer. One minute Playstaion is competition, then there not and i Google is the competition. Then Playstation is competition again..... guy cant make his mind up no wonder the results are what they are.

If you want to treat them as competition, your losing big time....

How about show some games Phil....Please someone dont mention Gears or Forza....
Don't be so salty.

Doom85

My 2016 base PS4 rarely gets that loud, and besides I game with headphones on like 95+% of the time anyway.

Also, it's funny, at first I interpreted the thread title as Phil saying they wanted to focus on showing the software over the system but for some reason was using the word "hear" instead of "see". Then I realized my mistake, but also good thing, Phil shouldn't be making promises he likely can't keep. ;) (JK.....sorta. I just highly doubt Xbox Series X can even come close to the insane amount of solid-looking titles from the PS5 reveal for me, especially since Sony says they have even more show soon. It would take a borderline miracle for Xbox to top it for me, like they announce Silent Hill remake/reboot is happening and it's a legit permanent Xbox exclusive or something as insane as that).

Reading a lot of really defensive posts in here ...

Are people really this shaken up over his comment?

I don't even think it was a jab.

"It's not about us, it's not about our device taking center stage. It's about the experience of the games. We want you to hear our games first not our console" Then he chuckles because what he said came out a bit jumbled.

I think he's just saying he doesn't want the console itself to overshadow the games the teams are working on.

The fact so many were offended by it though points to real concern that the PS5 (which based on the patents I saw here is likely using blower-type fans on both sides of the main board), might also get quite loud when the blowers start to exhibit the coil whine they are so well known for.

This post gave me a flashback to when I bought a 360 and tried putting it behind my TV because it was so loud.

Loud consoles were definitely a factor in my choice of PC.

My OG Elite went to my older brother after I bought the R2-D2 slim. He still ran it until a few years ago and it sounded like the fans on my car on a hot day.

My PC with 4 x 200mm and 4x 140 mm fans is about as loud as the Switch when it's tiny blower comes on.

Tulipanzo

hope so. But as a consumer that feels burned, they dont get my benefit of doubt. and I’ll keep warning people till we get solid reports.
Yeah, my issue was that you presented your info as "solid reports", when all info we have seems to point in the opposite direction.
It'd be pretty weird for Sony to bring up noise and then not fix it.

Tulipanzo

It feel a lot of MS marketing is mired in silly console war bullshit most people know nothing about.
Like that time they used "no boost mode" as a feature when it made it sound like games aren't improved.

Some of you need to take better care of your shit ive put a good 50 hours in to tlou2 And my shit is still silent. Its called clean the fucking thing. And im sorry the whole "I can't hear the game over the fan" comment is so fucking false anyone saying that in my opinion is just trying way to fucking hard. The only game that made my pro a lil loud was god of War and at no point did I have to turn the audio up. I'm not sure if you guys have the ps4 in your lap or have the volume at 2 or what.

And again here's good guy Spencer jabbing with bullshit comments when he could you know be jabbing with games o wait.....

And not only that but hes part of a company that had the biggest failure rate of any console EVER really dont have room to talk shit imho

Jtibh

Banned
Dont know how but my pro got a lot less noisy the past few months.
Nothing like it was under days gone horizon etc. And mostly in the menus where nothing is going on.

Playing jedi fallen order now and its quite.
Btw with all these games i missed out like jedi i wont need no ps5 or xsx for a long time.

Jtibh

Banned
Some of you need to take better care of your shit ive put a good 50 hours in to tlou2 And my shit is still silent. Its called clean the fucking thing. And im sorry the whole "I can't hear the game over the fan" comment is so fucking false anyone saying that in my opinion is just trying way to fucking hard. The only game that made my pro a lil loud was god of War and at no point did I have to turn the audio up. I'm not sure if you guys have the ps4 in your lap or have the volume at 2 or what.

And again here's good guy Spencer jabbing with bullshit comments when he could you know be jabbing with games o wait.....

And not only that but hes part of a company that had the biggest failure rate of any console EVER really dont have room to talk shit imho
You are loosing it man.

But anyone who put 50 hours into lou2 would too so i understand

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
is your ps4 pro a launch day model too?

i only played like three games on my xbox one x so it didnt get much use, but my pro has been used repeatedly like a cheap whore and now moans like one.

Yeah my Pro is a launch day and I am just too lazy to open it and change out the thermal grease.

You are loosing it man.

But anyone who put 50 hours into lou2 would too so i understand

Loosing what exactly? And I guess me enjoying a game to put 50 hrs in it is a bad thing now? What about people who put HUNDREDS of hours into rpg with what your saying they are loosing it too? I'm guessing you've never done that then? Why are you even on a gaming forum if you obviously don't game?

I love subtle digs like this, but if you are going to make jabs like this then you better actually come out with games. Here's hoping July gives us something good, because their output this gen has been very disappointing.

Also their PR seems to be all over the place. Is PlayStation competition? They talk about not caring about console generations but contradict it at times. I like Spencer, he seems cool but he’s a corporate face. He’s all talk, and until they prove otherwise I can’t take much of this seriously.
Slightly unrelated note, but surprisingly enough my Pro is very quiet in TLOU2. However you sit loading into a lobby in MW it goes nuts, only to go back to being completely silent as soon as I get to gameplay.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Loosing what exactly? And I guess me enjoying a game to put 50 hrs in it is a bad thing now? What about people who put HUNDREDS of hours into rpg with what your saying they are loosing it too? I'm guessing you've never done that then? Why are you even on a gaming forum if you obviously don't game?
My latest platinum. But i dont game you know.
Idiot.

kzLIDIQ.png

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Phil's joke at the PS4 Fighter jet really has you raging.

Top Bottom