• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer expect PS4 price cut this holiday in US

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It was a snippet from an IGN interview, my god. Also, yes, he is an industry expert since he leads the whole gaming division. Although, he's 'just PR' isn't he folk?

Let's all jump on the Phil hate train!This thread is becoming embarrassing.

People dwell on Star Wars and CoD bundles but underestimate the power of a bundle such as Forza, Halo and Gears. Keeping in mind Gears jumped to #2 in NPD in 2 days... And exclusives don't sell.

This winter, either way will be interesting. People need to understand that Sony are playing the worst hand here, their line up is empty compared to MS. No wonder they're price dropping. Gonna be some good NPD threads.

Haha...this is like watching water spiral down the drain.

And I don't think anyone is really hating on Phil, just laughing at the snippet.

It was a snippet from an IGN interview, my god. Also, yes, he is an industry expert since he leads the whole gaming division. Although, he's 'just PR' isn't he folk?

People dwell on Star Wars and CoD bundles but underestimate the power of a bundle such as Forza, Halo and Gears. Keeping in mind Gears jumped to #2 in NPD in 2 days... And exclusives don't sell.

This winter, either way will be interesting. People need to understand that Sony are playing the worst hand here, their line up is empty compared to MS. No wonder they're price dropping. Gonna be some good NPD threads.

I disagree. I think Sony is in an advantageous position because they have all the momentum. MS will do very well though, and they deserve to because they've made great headway and have a wonderful game lineup this holiday.

Zophar

Nobody said exclusives don't sell. We're saying exclusives don't sell consoles the way you think they do. What console won NPD that month?

inner-G

Banned
their line up is empty compared to MS.
Depends on if you like shooters or not.

Someone like me who only casually plays them will only buy one (for me it'll probably be Star Wars, because Star Wars.)

MS on the other hand doesn't have anything like Dragon Quest Heroes or Tales of Zestiria to cater to the people who like Japanese games more.

Last gen the JRPG tables were flip-flopped towards the beginning with stuff like Vesperia and Blue Dragon.

leeh

I disagree. I think Sony is in an advantageous position because they have all the momentum. MS will do very well though, and they deserve to because they've made great headway and have a wonderful game lineup this holiday.
Let's face it, the console market is in great shape, both consoles are outselling they're predecessors and it's good that Sony are really making movements with the PS4 and are actually really profiting from it due to their financial status currently.

Although, I don't think the kid at Christmas cares about console sales trends WW before making his choice on what he wants to unwrap in the morning.

Chobel

Do we know the sales of Gears UE (US)? It's charted lower than Minecraft so sales probably are not that good.

It was #3 in 5 days BTW.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Doffen

Depends on if you like shooters or not.

Someone like me who only casually plays them will only buy one (for me it'll probably be Star Wars, because Star Wars.)

MS on the other hand doesn't have anything like Dragon Quest Heroes or Tales of Zestiria to cater to the people who like Japanese games more.

Last gen the JRPG tables were flip-flopped towards the beginning with stuff like Vesperia and Blue Dragon.

I think you can enjoy Forza, Gigantic, Fable Legends and maybe even Rise of the Tomb Raider without being way into shooters. Further on Xbox One is clearly not the place to be if you like JRPG's and that's perfectly fine by me.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
...What if Sony cut the price this October and they win the NPD? o_O

xehjaSL.gif

though i doubt will happen, even with a pricedrop i still see XB1 wins thanks Halo 5

Bolivar687

Banned
If Sony doesn't do $100, they'd be better off adding value with bundles instead of a $50 drop, since $350 seems more about getting fence-sitters rather than penetrating the next tier of the mass market. Hence why NPD went back to normal once the shopping season ended.

Even so, I think PGW is too late for them to announce a cut. I recall retail posters last year saying they expected both machines to sell out regardless, at the very least we both know they're going to sell gangbusters in November and December anyway. That's why I think the best time is before Fall, so you can get people buying the early September and October games, in addition to the huge November giants. The name of the game seems to me to be getting people in the door for as many holidays as possible throughout the span of the life cycle.

Nothing Phil Spencer says about the future plans of his competitors should ever be given an ounce of credence.

But he's probably right on this one. I think the market's bought about all of the $400 unbundled PS4s they're gonna buy.

FranXico

Nothing Phil Spencer says about the future plans of his competitors should ever be given an ounce of credence.

But he's probably right on this one. I think the market's bought about all of the $400 unbundled PS4s they're gonna buy.

To be fair, he is making an educated guess. Same as anyone with some common sense would. I don't know the numbers, but PS4 sales have kind of slowed down since last year, haven't they?

Seems like some folks are getting defensive over nothing. The majority of what has been said are jabs at there being multiple threads over random shit he's said. No one has really hated on the guy. Victim complex in full effect here.

Tbh, it is quite annoying. I stay away from the Xbox Reddit because of it. That said, folks could just ignore the thread.

See the thing is this wouldn't be so hypocritical if Phil previously didn't say about Patcher's XBO speculation.

uLLY1Qs.jpg

But yet since this point Phil has been talking about

.How SCE structure their third party deals,
.The prices SCE pays for third party and also
.SCE plans are for price drops,

Just to name a few. All while being in the same position as Patcher, not knowing anything about the company because he does not work there and has no involvement with their plans despite being in the same industry.

Phil Spencer seems preoccupied with PS4. And his defenders talk about "Well he was asked a question" As if he doesn't have the right to say "I don't know what Sony's plans are" which is the obvious truth. PS4 execs get asked the same shit by the same journalists but you haven't seen Boyles or Yoshida mention Phil or his platform for some time. They are focused on their company and I don't understand why Phil gushes PS every chance he gets. I think it's weird. He keeps talking about PS but the conversation is always one way.

He should take the hint. If he has the best Holiday lineup of all time or whatever the marketing slogan is, why doesn't he focus on that.

In my honest opinion he lacks confidence in his own platform. The support for that platform and that platforms portfolio. Irrespective of what his marketing campaign slogan is.

watdaeff4

If they drop the price they can ensure that xb1 has very little chance of catching up in their #1 market.

Price drop or now, I say they have very little
zero
chance.

IMO, even if PS4 doesn't have a price drop, with the bundles they would have at $399 they would likely win out the rest of this year except for probably Oct.

If they don't drop the price this year (and I'll stand by my prediction they won't), I do think they will drop it next year and that'll be it.

See the thing is Phil Once said about Patcher

uLLY1Qs.jpg

Just to name a few. All while being in the same position as Patcher, not knowing anything about the company because he does not work there and has no involvement with their plans despite being in the same industry.

Phil Spencer seems preoccupied with PS4. And his defenders talk about "Well he was asked a question" As if he doesn't have the right to say "I don't know what Sony's plans are" which is the obvious truth. PS4 execs get asked the same shit by the same journalists but you haven't seen Boyles or Yoshida mention Phil or his platform for some time. They are focused on their company and I don't understand why Phil gushes PS every chance he gets. I think it's weird. He keeps talking about PS but the conversation is always one way.

He should take the hint. If he has the best Holiday lineup of all time or whatever the marketing slogan is, why doesn't he focus on that.

In my honest opinion he lacks confidence in his own platform. The support for that platform and that platforms portfolio. Irrespective of what his marketing campaign slogan is.

Ok. So you do think Phil just wanders around muttering things about the PS4...

I can't 🙎

Walpurgis

Banned
See the thing is this wouldn't be so hypocritical if Phil previously didn't say about Patcher's XBO speculation.

uLLY1Qs.jpg

I agree. Usually these execs dodge those kinds of questions and say things like "I don't know what they have planned but I'm sure it's good". Phil Spencer used to do that but lately, he's been talking more about the PS4. I don't think this price drop comment is that big of a deal but the third party comments were pretty embarrassing.

First Phil Spencer announced that PlayStation has a console exclusivity deal for FFXIV, and now he's announcing they're going to have a holiday price-cut?

Phil, are you... are you trying to build up a resume to apply for the Sony PlayStation PR position?

*Snipped to save space*

Yeah, I've been noticing that Phil's language has recently been more combative and a bit sleazy. I know, PR is not easy when your competitor is crushing your product worldwide. However, there were several other ways he could have taken without coming off as a moron.

Bsigg12

And I expect Microsoft to do another $50 price drop as their typical holiday discount. Should be a great holiday for both Microsoft and Sony.

Mr Moose

They have Star Wars and Call of Duty bundles, I don't really think even a $50 cut is necessary this holiday season. Unless they want to beat MS in NPD for sure, but it's not really needed. They are well ahead in world wide sales.

They've got that shitty Assassin's Creed bundle, too. (Well, not exactly shitty... But, yeah, I've kinda lost interest in that series though I will get the game if it turns out to be good and have decent performance).

AHAHA.

Boke1879

Are you ok? You know much of the success of the Xbox last holiday were their insane bundles.

But I honestly suggest that you take a deep sigh. You shouldn't get this upset.

Trup1aya

uLLY1Qs.jpg

You think answering this simple question with an educated guess is a sign of a lack of confidence? You think it shows he's preoccupied with Sony?

A guy can do an entire interview about Xbox, and answer 2 questions about a competitor... And the entire world will focus on those two answers AND deduce that he's preoccupied

Man, people here sure like to stretch... Such an in depth psychological evaluation over a truly benign comment

Top Bottom