• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer expect PS4 price cut this holiday in US

Ryng_tolu

Banned
$299 Rise of the Tomb Raider bundle incoming

I SERIUSLY hope so, because if not, XB1 is gonna to be litterally massacred by PS4 this holidays...
I mean? Call of Duty + Star Wars VS ???

Tomb Raider? Fallout? lol... I know there is Halo, but still!
If PS4 will be at 350$ this holidays, XBO need a official 300$ price...

Was CBOAT his source for his info??
jk

XBO won by 7-10k confirmed? :p

Verendus

Banned
People are just bitter that Phil-sensei is smart, and better than them. While GAF has been undecided on a price cut for so long, constantly flipping back and forth, Phil-sensei confidently asserts his claim which makes people envious of his confidence. If you all had his grapefruits, you wouldn't be like this to him.

This is your bitterness, jealousy, and inferiority speaking.

Frog-fu

Banned
Someone asks him a question, he answers it honestly, people troll him and assign hidden agendas. I don't get it. Ancient aliens? Is he considered a general in a console war? I guess. He's just a guy running a gaming division.

There has been a building resentment towards Phil Spencer ever since he became more prominent this gen and it's gotten so palpable it's obvious some people are just waiting for an excuse to unload on the guy and to "expose" him as some kind of soulless corporate phoney out to deceive us and rob us of our hard earned money.

It's just more console war shenanigans. Best thing to do is just to ignore it.

inner-G

Banned
GAF has been quite bitter towards XBO in the past few days. Don't know why. Maybe FM6 + dashboard has something to do with it.
I think that the (lack of) announcements from TGS just cemented what people were already thinking about XBO

super6646

Banned
Way to much shit against Phil lately. Recently, I saw a forum post (not on gaf) saying how phil was accusing Sony of buying FF14 exclusivity, even though he never did say it. What the hell is going on recently?

etta

my hard graphic balls
This must be it. All the salt of Sony fan boy who have to stick with their boring UI and waiting ages for GT7.
I mean, some of GAF do seem to be quite bitter at the fact that XBO has good games, just look at that "Why did you pick XBO over PS4" thread.
And not much else has changed in the XBO world in the past few days, other than a critically acclaimed game releasing and new dashboard releasing for preview. That and Spencer saying he wants to sell consoles.
What else triggered the mood shift here?

Zophar

Dropping to $299 this holiday would ensure total market control for the the PS4 for the duration of the generation, I feel. At that price point it falls below the XB1 and eliminates the majority of reasons to purchase an XB1, while giving MS few if any options for stemming that tide. I don't see how the XB1 can drop in price any further for at least another year.

I don't think this will happen, given then PS4 already has a commanding lead in every market and is unlikely to relinquish it; plus, the difference could be immaterial, really. I'm sure Sony are counting the beans to decide if sacrificing those short term gains for long term domination is going to make a big enough difference in their growth to justify it.

jesu

I mean, some of GAF do seem to be quite bitter at the fact that XBO has good games, just look at that "Why did you pick XBO over PS4" thread.
And not much else has changed in the XBO world in the past few days, other than a critically acclaimed game releasing and new dashboard releasing for preview. That and Spencer saying he wants to sell consoles.

Quiet day at the Tokyo Game Show.

Walpurgis

Banned
He sounds uneasy. I think this will be an interesting holiday season. Sony's bundles/sales were weak last year leading to a MS win. If Sony drops the price, MS will have to do even more than last year. However, I believe I recall Spencer saying that that was a mistake or something about not wanting to devalue the console. Perhaps he has grown from that position.

I am predicting a Sony win because of Star Wars and Call of Duty. I am sure Fallout 4 will help MS but I don't think it will be enough to outweigh the factors in favour of Sony.

Either way, it will be a great time to buy a new console.

hawk2025

I mean, some of GAF do seem to be quite bitter at the fact that XBO has good games, just look at that "Why did you pick XBO over PS4" ethread.

You may want to consider that it's entirely in your head.

Frog-fu

Banned

Impatience. They've been waiting so long for him to slip and fall that they're getting ahead of themselves at the slightest hint of it happening.

You may want to consider that it's entirely in your head.

So... like a persecution complex?

I hear that one a lot around here when Xbox fans point out bias.

Tons of new PS4 games just got announced. You really think a preview of a UI that has games not working is the reason? HAHAHA

Way to much shit against Phil lately. Recently, I saw a forum post (not on gaf) saying how phil was accusing Sony of buying FF14 exclusivity, even though he never did say it. What the hell is going on recently?
He may not have literally said those words but he implied that that's what happened, while ignoring that his own system's rules against cross-platform play by all other accounts prevented FF14 on the X1.

leeh

I SERIUSLY hope so, because if not, XB1 is gonna to be litterally massacred by PS4 this holidays...

2 multi platform games are going to cause a massacre? I don't get peoples thought train sometimes. The Xbox has the best winter line up in years. Halo 5 looks like it's going to be absolutely fantastic. There's not even a western exclusive on the PS4 this fall.

The XBO demolished the PS4 in the US last winter without the line up it did this fall. I'm interested in how it'll turn out this time around.

Cidd

GAF has been quite bitter towards XBO in the past few days. Don't know why. Maybe FM6 + dashboard has something to do with it.

nick-cage-lol.gif

really?

There's no mood shift. People have been making fun of Nintendo, Sony and MS, their executives and the silly things they say for as long as NeoGAF has been around.

Zophar

2 multi platform games are going to cause a massacre? I don't get peoples thought train sometime. The Xbox has the best winter line up in years. Halo 5 looks like it's going to be absolutely fantastic. There's not even a western exclusive on the PS4 this fall.

History has proven again and again that exclusives do not move consoles anywhere close to as well as third party content does. The vast majority of new adopters do so for stuff like Madden, Fifa, Call of Duty.

hawk2025

Impatience. They've been waiting so long for him to slip and fall that they're getting ahead of themselves at the slightest hint of it happening.

So... like a persecution complex?

I hear that one a lot around here when Xbox fans point out bias.

Do you think it's less likely than a mass shift in mood based on the beta of a user interface?

leeh

History has proven again and again that exclusives do not move consoles anywhere close to as well as third party content does. The vast majority of new adopters do so for stuff like Madden, Fifa, Call of Duty.
History has proven time and time again that Halo does. It's Halo for god sakes.

They love a good Halo advertising campaign. This won't be any different.

Also, your talking like everyone who wants that game will get a PS4 to play it, which is all rubbish.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect anymore. On one hand, historically, it's time for the PS4 to get a price cut. On the other, things are a lot different now than they used to be, and Sony might not be willing to take the loss-leader strategy for this holiday, especially considering they're in the superior position; they have the favorite console of choice this generation and they have some great partnerships and bundles for this holiday (Battlefront, CoD, AND AC). I think at the very least there will be "unofficial" retailer price cuts.

But who knows at this point other than Sony.

lol what

Zophar

History has proven time and time again that Halo does. It's Halo for god sakes.

They love a good Halo advertising campaign. This won't be any different.

You may want to look again at the sales trend Halo has taken over the last few installments.

Sure, Halo will be popular. But the brand is damaged and in decline, too.

Yeah I don't get this... your comparing 2 marketing deals to 2 exclusives and a marketing deal. If Sony drops the price It will be very close, if they don't I can see it swiNging into Microsoft's favour quite handily. In the case of COD, that game has always been associated with he xb brand... the marketing will help push some people towards the Sony brand but I think it will be quite equal on terms of software sales.

By all accounts last year was a massacre and Sony had that exclusive marketing for gta which many members here thought would be the great equalizer for Sony.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If true I sure hope its more then a dinky $50 cut! Shenmue 3 & FFVII won't we out for quite awhiles still but the lower the price now, the lower it'll be when its time ta buy one!

leeh

You may want to look again at the sales trend Halo has taken over the last few installments.

Sure, Halo will be popular. But the brand is damaged and in decline, too.
Halo 4 still sold well, and we've never got numbers for MCC. So its not like we've got anything to go by there.

Quality sells, Halo 5 looks top notch. I'm just saying it'll make a difference, and this winter will be interesting.

I'll grab the popcorn.

Zophar

Halo 4 still sold well, and we've never got numbers for MCC. So its not like we've got anything to go by there.

Quality sells, Halo 5 looks top notch. I'm just saying it'll make a difference, and this winter will be interesting.

I'll grab the popcorn.

ODST, Reach, 4, and MCC have all sold less than Halo 3; and of those only MCC is still "alive" enough to continue charting. Maybe 5 will be a good game and bring everyone back from Call of Duty but the odds are against 343 *and* the XB1's hold on the demographic.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
2 multi platform games are going to cause a massacre? I don't get peoples thought train sometimes. The Xbox has the best winter line up in years. Halo 5 looks like it's going to be absolutely fantastic. There's not even a western exclusive on the PS4 this fall.

The XBO demolished the PS4 in the US last winter without the line up it did this fall. I'm interested in how it'll turn out this time around.

Those two multiplatform are Call of Duty and Star Wars... Call of Duty... and Star Wars... XBO demolished the PS4 last year? yes, and why?

Because of Call od Duty... and Assassin's Creed bundle... and the price.

This time, XBO has not Call of Duty.
Has not Assassin's Creed.

...And to be fair, holidays are November + December, Halo is for last week of October.
It will also help in November and December since will release the last week, but the bigger week is the first.

If PS4 will be at 350$, XBO need a 300$ with some very strong deal, bundle, and unofficial pricedrop during black friday if Phil want win.

I'll grab the popcorn.
Did you do that on purpose, I can't even tell any more.

I think Xbox's fortunes this holiday will have more to do with pricing and bundles than the quality of one game.

leeh

ODST, Reach, 4, and MCC have all sold less than Halo 3; and of those only MCC is still "alive" enough to continue charting. Maybe 5 will be a good game and bring everyone back from Call of Duty but the odds are against 343 *and* the XB1's hold on the demographic.

Those two multiplatform are Call of Duty and Star Wars... Call of Duty... and Star Wars... XBO demolished the PS4 last year? yes, and why?

Because of Call od Duty... and Assassin's Creed bundle... and the price.

This time, XBO has not Call of Duty.
Has not Assassin's Creed.

...And to be fair, holidays are November + December, Halo is for last week of October.
It will also help in November and December since will release the last week, but the bigger week is the first.

If PS4 will be at 350$, XBO need a 300$ with some very strong deal, bundle, and unofficial pricedrop during black friday if Phil want win.
I'd personally put money on the XB1 winning this holiday. Games speak for themselves, especially when on the other fence your working with bundles which are available on another platform.

That's me out.

Zophar

I'd personally put money on the XB1 winning this holiday. Games speak for themselves, especially when on the other fence your working with bundles which are available on another platform.

That's me out.

And yet one of those platforms has had consistently higher rated exclusive titles from launch and is still lagging behind the market leader by nearly 10 million units. 25 million people didn't buy PS4s for Bloodborne.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

That's me out.

Dude, we are here for discuss, if this is your opinion i'm ok with this. :D
And to be fair, some months ago, i predicted XBO > PS4 even this holidays, just, now i'm not so sure with a more likely PS4 pricedrop. :p

Apathy

That's me out.

Last year they only won 2/3 months even with better games and better bundles than Sony. This year it's reversed for bundles, so not sure how it's going to go. Halo month I can see them winning without fail but the other two, no clue.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
And yet one of those platforms has had consistently higher rated exclusive titles from launch and is still lagging behind the market leader by nearly 10 million units. 25 million people didn't buy PS4s for Bloodborne.

PS4 is over 10 million gap with XBO, not "nearly"... ( well, at least in shipments )

Verendus

Banned
I'd say it depends on the exclusive. If you simply put up one exclusive against swathes of third party content, then it's a bit of an unfair comparison.

The success of a platform really comes down to the brand, and its perception. This is the most important thing, and PS4 is ahead in this respect currently. But for that brand, there are several pillars. Messaging, content (which includes major exclusives), price, services etc. The image of your brand is very important because it's what drives your messaging. Third party games fall into your content, but big exclusives are also incredibly important. The major issue Xbox One faces right now, on a worldwide scale, is that it's a trailing second place. So the messaging is a bit more difficult, and the brand perception isn't as strong as it was last generation, where it was pretty much the console of choice for the traditional audience (in the US and UK anyway). It's an uphill battle. Your own momentum helps, which is why starting strong is always important.

If you look at the US market alone however, then this is slightly different. While Xbox One is indeed behind, they're quite competitive, and a huge seller like Halo is very significant. We're not talking about exclusives which sell 1 million copies here, although those are important too from an overall portfolio standpoint, but a tentpole title. A title like Halo with a strong marketing campaign is quite significant. That doesn't mean it's going to take the market by storm necessarily, but there's a tendency on GAF to diminish the importance of exclusives. Major exclusives are still significant. Halo may not be as big as Call of Duty in terms of brand, but it's as big as most other major IP such as Assassin's Creed (it's actually a bigger deal than this, but they're of a similar tier), so it's a significant selling point.

The Halo campaign is going to kick in this month though, and they'll make the most of it. Moving into the holidays however, I doubt Microsoft will be trying to sell their console on the strength of Halo alone. This is looking at things at a micro level though. If you extend it to the macro level, then titles like Halo, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Gears of War become very important. They're tentpole titles with enough selling power, and stand out as differentiators, and can help with brand and messaging. Long-term, this becomes quite important.

For the holiday period in the US, what's going to be important is the price and value battle. If, for example, Xbox One is pushed at $349 with Halo and Tomb Raider, while PS4 is pushed at $399 with Call of Duty and Star Wars, that's a tough battle for SCEA even if they have the two bigger overall brands pushing the PS4. This ties into your messaging and promotion. The additional problem here is that retailers can do individual promotions too with certain things that allow consumers to pick up other titles, so theoretically, you could end up with someone purchasing an Xbox One with Call of Duty, Halo, and Tomb Raider.

Basically, third party marketing partnerships are important, but major exclusives are also quite important, due to the fact that it's a competitive market where both brands are quite strong, so in turn price and value becomes the most significant differentiator. Fortunately, SCEA will be in a better position this year than they were last year, so that'll help.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think that the (lack of) announcements from TGS just cemented what people were already thinking about XBO

Quiet day at the Tokyo Game Show.
Sounds reasonable. I remember there were some threads about people getting ready for GT7 at TGS, and it didn't turn up at all, which probably puts it out of the 2016 launch window.
As for the UI being close to release, I'd say it's a pretty fair conclusion. Everyone loves how snappy the PS4 UI, but many would like to see more features in both the functionality department and customization. It doesn't help that Sony takes a long ass time to release firmware updates.
I'm not saying this is the way it is, by the way. It's just the general feeling I got lately.

Frog-fu

Banned
Do you think it's less likely than a mass shift in mood based on the beta of a user interface?

There are various factors involved. Point is that it's not in etta's head.

Halo 3 is something I'd consider an outlier and not necessarily a fair comparison. It had a massive marketing campaign and sold remarkably well for a Halo game. It was a highly anticipated finale in hugely successful trilogy and by 2012 had sold about 14.5 million copies according to Waypoint.

I doubt Halo will ever do those numbers again (ODST sold a decent amount and Halo Reach sold quite as well) but Halo 4 is sitting on about 10m LTD sales and that was the start of a new saga and is considered the weakest in the series by many, so it's not like Halo is going anywhere any time soon. Especially not with how 343i seems super focused on expanding the franchise and the lore across various platforms and genres.

Given the hype Halo 5 has got going for it, while it definitely won't reach those numbers given its much smaller install base, the odds are certainly not against 343i releasing a highly successful game. By all indications they got the MP right this time and the campaign has got pretty much everyone that has ever cared about it excited.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sounds reasonable. I remember there were some threads about people getting ready for GT7 at TGS, and it didn't turn up at all, which probably puts it out of the 2016 launch window.
As for the UI being close to release, I'd say it's a pretty fair conclusion. Everyone loves how snappy the PS4 UI, but many would like to see more features in both the functionality department and customization. It doesn't help that Sony takes a long ass time to release firmware updates.
I'm not saying this is the way it is, by the way. It's just the general feeling I got lately.

GT7 is a Europe thing. It was certainly not expected anywhere near TGS.

PGW and PSX are the events to watch, but then again, knowing Polyphony, they could just aswell host their own reveal event.

driver116

See, why do you insist on doing this in every thread? It's so tiresome.Some people hate XB, some hate PS4, WiiU, Vita, PC... Why fuel this?

FStubbs

PS4 is selling like crazy. Why would they price drop?

The other guys need to price drop. If Nintendo can afford it, the Wii U needs to be $199.

Top Bottom