• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer expect PS4 price cut this holiday in US

Elandyll

Banned
I mean, some of GAF do seem to be quite bitter at the fact that XBO has good games, just look at that "Why did you pick XBO over PS4" thread.
And not much else has changed in the XBO world in the past few days, other than a critically acclaimed game releasing and new dashboard releasing for preview. That and Spencer saying he wants to sell consoles.
What else triggered the mood shift here?
For the reccord, there were tons of XBO peeps making threads akin to "why did you pick a PS4?" in the past as well.

Now with your own self professed MS goggles ("I am a fan of the brand"), one should not wonder why you seem to perceive a bias.
Same as people upset over Spencer being called out on spewing BS around FFXIV's " exclusivity".

Kayant

PS4 is selling like crazy. Why would they price drop?

The other guys need to price drop. If Nintendo can afford it, the Wii U needs to be $199.

To sell better and not let the thunder start to slow down. To increase console install base even more... It's been almost two years most hardcores have already jumped in, this will help those that are on the edge + casuals. There once you include the advances they have made in manufacturing, some of the money lost dropping the price will be offset there.
GAF has been quite bitter towards XBO in the past few days. Don't know why. Maybe FM6 + dashboard has something to do with it.
Lool

etta

my hard graphic balls
For the reccord, there were tons of XBO peeps making threads akin to "why did you pick a PS4?" in the past as well.

Now with your own self professed MS goggles ("I am a fan of the brand"), one should not wonder why you seem to perceive a bias.
Same as people upset over Spencer being called out on spewing BS around FFXIV's " exclusivity".
By the way, I won't take seriously anyone who confuses preference with bias.

FATALITY

Banned
um-hum.gif

Well your preference is certainly leading to you perceiving things and commenting in a biased way (i.e. your post on the previous page).

Nothing wrong with a preference; but it can very easily (without people realising) cause bias to slip through in the way they come across. I won't fault many people with that, as it happens to most people (it's pretty much 99% impossible to remain strictly neutral), but I gotta disagree on your notion that preference and bias are two separate things.

I mean, some of GAF do seem to be quite bitter at the fact that XBO has good games, just look at that "Why did you pick XBO over PS4" thread.
And not much else has changed in the XBO world in the past few days, other than a critically acclaimed game releasing and new dashboard releasing for preview. That and Spencer saying he wants to sell consoles.
What else triggered the mood shift here?

Sounds reasonable. I remember there were some threads about people getting ready for GT7 at TGS, and it didn't turn up at all, which probably puts it out of the 2016 launch window.
As for the UI being close to release, I'd say it's a pretty fair conclusion. Everyone loves how snappy the PS4 UI, but many would like to see more features in both the functionality department and customization. It doesn't help that Sony takes a long ass time to release firmware updates.
I'm not saying this is the way it is, by the way. It's just the general feeling I got lately.

No it doesn't sound reasonable...at all. Most people here on GAF were pretty content with the TGS lineup - I honestly don't see the logic at a "quiet TGS" being this hidden cause behind the change in mood towards XB1 and its executives.

There's honestly no mood shift at all; GAF has always had people being bitter on either console and on either company. And if the point about FW updates were the case, then you'd get this "mood change" being happy all year long. 3.0 is in beta btw, so that doesn't even make any sense.

Again you can't call this preference without including the word bias here (on the topic at what each company excel at):

Microsoft: best online infrastructure, best lineup and exclusives, best OS and updates, best controller, best all-in-one device
Sony: best hardware, Naughty Dog
Don't own a Wii U/3DS

I don't have a problem with people having preferences, there is nothing wrong with that, I myself have no shame in admitting that I am a big PS fan, but I'm just arguing that your point about bias and preference being two separate things isn't really true.

RK128

Honestly, I could see them dropping the price to 350 (with Microsoft dropping the standard X1 price to 300 with Tomb Raider/Halo 4).

Other regions are getting price drops for the PS4, so US should be included as well regardless of the high success Sony has been having in that region.

New breaking news from Phil: Phil Spencer expects Xbox One to come in 2nd place in lifetime sales for this generation's consoles (however, goes on to say the XB1 will go down in history as the fastest/greatest selling console of all-time as well). Stay tuned for more expert insights....

RyudBoy

It's obviously reverse psychology from Phil. That way, Sony doesn't budge while MS releases a killer bundle and wins the holiday season again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"I fully expect they [PlayStation] will drop price. When I think about the playbook they've used in the past, we feel good about the plans we have in place going forward in the holiday. If history tells, then we'll see a price drop from them coming."

...Captain obvious ?

And he has a plan apparently

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/18/xbox-boss-expects-ps4-price-drop-in-us?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=55fca508cf7e083d3c000025

After the price cut in Japan, and the price cut in Asia, and the price cut in the UK, how is he coming up with such amazing future predictions?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
New breaking news from Phil: Phil Spencer expects Xbox One to come in 2nd place in lifetime sales for this generation's consoles (however, goes on to say the XB1 will go down in history as the fastest/greatest selling console of all-time as well). Stay tuned for more expert insights....

Keep this hard hitting analysis coming.

qMUafdw.gif

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well your preference is certainly leading to you perceiving things and commenting in a biased way (i.e. your post on the previous page).

Nothing wrong with a preference; but it can very easily (without people realising) cause bias to slip through in the way they come across. I won't fault many people with that, as it happens to most people (it's pretty much 99% impossible to remain strictly neutral), but I gotta disagree on your notion that preference and bias are two separate things.

1. So I am just "perceiving" these posts, then? Okay.

2. It can be mistaken very easily here because of two things. People jump to assumptions quickly, and due to the medium of discussion, ie. a forum. If people here would converse in person in a casual discussion, they'd get to know people just enough to know when they are biased (preference against) or impartial (neutral). You can make better judgement of a person through your senses during a human interaction, you can read their body language, you can take note of their stance on a subject they are talking about from how relaxed they seem, you can tell if they are lying by eye contact. For the above examples, it can be seen why people here, and on any forum, very quickly jump to assumption of bias because they can't rely on any of those things. It is quite often that I see people assuming that just because you prefer X, you must hate Y.

2. It can be mistaken very easily here because of two things. People jump to assumptions quickly, and due to the medium of discussion, ie. a forum. If people here would converse in person in a casual discussion, they'd get to know people just enough to know when they are biased (preference against) or impartial (neutral). You can make better judgement of a person through your senses during a human interaction, you can read their body language, you can take note of their stance on a subject they are talking about from how relaxed they seem, you can tell if they are lying by eye contact. For the above examples, it can be seen why people here, and on any forum, very quickly jump to assumption of bias because they can't rely on any of those things. It is quite often that I see people assuming that just because you prefer X, you must hate Y.

1. Well as I said, if there's conclusive evidence that over the past few days, some gamers have been actively acting more towards XB1 etc, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. So unless there is, it's pretty much just your perception (or is the word assumption better to use? I may have used the wrong word)

2. I whole heartedly agree on the IRL interaction vs forum interaction. That's something I've had trouble with previously, and is very very true. Honestly, I'm probably going to refer to that part in the future, as it's been nicely explained here.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Also, I don't accusing you of disliking the PS4 just because you prefer the XBO? If I have I apologise and will edit the comment, but I honestly don't think I have?? (Since you own a PS4, and wrote that #BetterPSN thread in which I completely supported your stance on the improvements).

You did not, I mistook you for someone else. I edited the original post.

For the rest, this is just the feeling that I get when I see people playing the bias card. It feels wrong because I don't see it happening in other situations. Bias is only put into question when people go out of their way to prove something. Here, it gets thrown around very easily.

You did not, I mistook you for someone else. I edited the original post.

For the rest, this is just the feeling that I get when I see people playing the bias card. It feels wrong because I don't see it happening in other situations. Bias is only put into question when people go out of their way to prove something. Here, it gets thrown around very easily.

Yeah, I get your point. Sorry if my original point did come across as confrontational, I apologise for that. Good day :)

hawk2025

A persecution complex doesn't come from imagining the opinions themselves, but how the mind ascribes cause and intent to those actions and opinions based on weak, limited, and/or illogical evidence.

Anyways, it's the last I'll say on the subject here -- moving on.

Regarding a price drop, I personally do not think it's a foregone conclusion yet. I imagine it will depend on how preorders for the fall bundles are tracking.

Sooo, back on topic; I personally think the price will be dropped by just $50 to $350 since it seems enough to highlight a difference in price, yet remain highly profitable, moreso than if it were dropped by $100.

GAF has been quite bitter towards XBO in the past few days. Don't know why. Maybe FM6 + dashboard has something to do with it.
True. I generally start hating consoles the second they announce something about their dashboard. If Wii U or PS4 ever change, well their companies better watch out if they read my neogaf posts at that time. They won't want to hear what I have to say.

Servbot24

Banned
PS4 is selling like crazy. Why would they price drop?

The other guys need to price drop. If Nintendo can afford it, the Wii U needs to be $199.

PS4 has a weak holiday line up. Even though they're well ahead, they can't be arrogant. They need to keep competing, and at the moment a price drop would be the best way to do that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I make a comment to avert console wars. I start console wars. Facepalm.
Yea, we sorted it out already.

Apologies, everyone.

PS4 has a weak holiday line up. Even though they're well ahead, they can't be arrogant. They need to keep competing, and at the moment a price drop would be the best way to do that.

They have Star Wars and Call of Duty bundles, I don't really think even a $50 cut is necessary this holiday season. Unless they want to beat MS in NPD for sure, but it's not really needed. They are well ahead in world wide sales.

Death2494

For those who want to read my thoughts on this holiday in the US - (Yeh I know no one does haha but I want to post it anyway)

(Now updated)

Originally written in June:

I am, actually, thinking along those same lines. Good write up. It really wouldn't make sense for them to drop the price again.

Does Phil ever miss an opportunity to talk about PS4? I haven't heard any Sony exec talk about Phil or even mention XBO in a real long time.

Bias (n.) prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

Preference (n.) a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.

While not identical, they usually go hand-in-hand.

leeh

Industry expert.

Mama Spencer didn't send him to the University of Washington for no reason!
It was a snippet from an IGN interview, my god. Also, yes, he is an industry expert since he leads the whole gaming division. Although, he's 'just PR' isn't he folk?

Let's all jump on the Phil hate train!This thread is becoming embarrassing.

People dwell on Star Wars and CoD bundles but underestimate the power of a bundle such as Forza, Halo and Gears. Keeping in mind Gears jumped to #2 in NPD in 2 days... And exclusives don't sell.

This winter, either way will be interesting. People need to understand that Sony are playing the worst hand here, their line up is empty compared to MS. No wonder they're price dropping. Gonna be some good NPD threads.

It was a snippet from an IGN interview, my god.

Let's all jump on the Phil hate train!This thread is becoming embarrassing.

People dwell on Star Wars and CoD bundles but underestimate the power of a bundle such as Forza, Halo and Gears. Keeping in mind Gears jumped to #2 in NPD in 2 days... And exclusives don't sell.

This winter, either way will be interesting. People need to understand that Sony are playing the worst hand here, their line up is empty compared to MS. No wonder they're price dropping. Gonna be some good NPD threads.

This really went south. Wow.

Top Bottom