• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Crackdown 3: "I'm going to bite my tongue." +FM5,QuantumBreak,KI info

StiLt

Yeah but what does that actually mean? How is it a cutscene at that point?

See Heavy Rain for reference maybe? I'm genuinely curious.

I would imagine that there could be timed response options that would flash up requiring immediate response. I liked the way Quantic Dream did that. No time to think or they disappeared and that was it's own answer. Had to go with gut reaction really. Felt like an honest way to play.

What exactly? More sidemissions? Better AI? Bigger abilities?

So Crackdown should always be the same thing start to finish?

Side missions and the ability to jump half the city in fell swoop, which would completely ruin the game.

Crackdown is a collectathon platformer at its core, the rest is filler. Focus on the core mechanics and the rest will work itself out.

Striek

Crackdown is a platforming shooter. Collecting orbs is the icing around boss hits. There are already sidemissions/activities, like agility, racing etc. too.

Enemy AI and your abilities are core mechanics. Why would you not want them to improve both? Maybe not half a city, which as I even noted is an exaggeration. But the AI in Crackdown is shit, and the only meaningful evolution the gameplay gets is your ability to get to places to shoot more powerful weapons into enemies to lessen the amount of bulletsponging they do.

I hope that whoever is in charge of the game has a bigger vision than you. Well, I don't need to hope, I'm positive they do.

I don't mind better AI, I just don't want to see series turn into a bloated crapfest that offers no challenge after a certain point,as is the case with virtually every abilities based open world game released apart from CD.

And don't mistake my distaste for some of your suggestions as lack of vision, I've posted many a time how I would like them to expand the series in a sensible and productive way.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Crackdown is one of those games, like inFamous, where I read people raving about it and then I see gameplay footage and I'm like 'what, that game?'

Hindle

Banned
They need to bring back none linear progression. Basically expand on the originals format, where you take down different bosses. Taking out one guy weakens the others etc.

C'mon Phil! Just say it.

-"We have a new Crackdown."
-"We have a Banjo Ka... Well we call it Banjo Threeie."
-"We have a new Viva Pinata."
-"We have a new Halo Wars."
-"We have a new Project Gotham Racing."

Oh sorry... I'll come back down.

ekim

Well I asked Avalanche :
untitledrcyy1.png

:p

Pistolero

Somebody, for the love of God, help me make sense of the gibberish used to describe the gameplay mechanics of Quantum Break! I'm sincerely interested...

Quantum Break sounds cool, but really, this is something that couldn't have been done this generation? Let you play instead of showing a cutscene? Or am I missing something?

That is essentially saying that since now they have more cpu and gpu power, and more memory they can make in game look just as good as the cutscene.

Since they pause time they can make the cutscene have really insane physics calculations for instance, that could slow the game during gameplay, because you'd have to calculate AI, and other interaction stuff on top of those physics, but then they pause the scene and the game only needs to calculate what you are interacting with, just as it would do on actual gameplay.

As for not being possible on current gen, a huge part of why they are able to do this is because they have so much memory available that they can use the same high quality assets (like textures) they would use on a cutscene during gameplay.

m23

Somebody, for the love of God, help me make sense of the gibberish used to describe the gameplay mechanics of Quantum Break! I'm sincerely interested...

It's a third person shooter. That was what Remedy said, I don't know how all this cinematic tv show stuff will play out though.

d1rtn4p

And hopefully its a local single player experience. Do not want any online features besides co-op. Keep all that mmo cloud crap away

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I would like each agility orb to count instead of just the first 300 or so.

So if there are 500 orbs I want a slight powerup every time I collect one right up to the end.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What exactly? More sidemissions? Better AI? Bigger abilities?

So Crackdown should always be the same thing start to finish?

I just want more Crackdown. Bigger city, more orbs, more exploration. More bosses, maybe mix them up a bit but Crackdown as a formula is perfect.

It's not a game for everybody. Same with Just Cause 2 - I saw a lot of people dislike the game because they thought all the clearances were the same. Kind of, I guess, but that's the fun in it. I don't need more side missions. The exploring and collecting is the point.

So yea, just give me more of that.

amardilo

Crackdown is one of those games, like inFamous, where I read people raving about it and then I see gameplay footage and I'm like 'what, that game?'

Even when it came out in 2007 it wasn't a pretty looking game but it plays really well. It's a lot of fun and gets even better in co-op. It was amazing playing in co-op and being in 2 different ends of the city leaping around collecting orbs.

It's art style does have a charm but it could look a lot better by current standards and hopefully if it comes out on the Xbox One it will look really good.

Ruffian would jump at the opportunity I imagine, if they got the contract, but I doubt it's them.

But whoever handles it would need to revamp it.

I think Crackdown 2 not being received well, was much more a product of the time it was released in. Crackdown 1 was an Xbox game originally and it was a sweet bonus with Halo, but I can't say it makes me drool like the rest of you - and I don't believe it's actually what you want now.

That video of him climbing the agency tower, does not shine a great light on it. It looks dated and clunky as hell.

So, and this is directed at MilesQuaritch mainly - I think that Avalanche would be a great option to bring the series to a next-generation level.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I just want more Crackdown. Bigger city, more orbs, more exploration. More bosses, maybe mix them up a bit but Crackdown as a formula is perfect.

It's not a game for everybody. Same with Just Cause 2 - I saw a lot of people dislike the game because they thought all the clearances were the same. Kind of, I guess, but that's the fun in it. I don't need more side missions. The exploring and collecting is the point.

So yea, just give me more of that.

This and no zombie freaks and I would be happy.

I still don't understand the whole T.V business in Quantum Break.

Does the game come with the T.V show in the disk? They haven't managed to be clear about their message at all. Is the game episodic like Walking Dead?

Does the game come with the T.V show in the disk? They haven't managed to be clear about their message at all. Is the game episodic like Walking Dead?

I suspect it's episodic.

And I bet there's a TV episode every week, and a game episode every month or so.

derFeef

Everything is on disk, the whole game and the "show"

diffusionx

Gold Member
This and no zombie freaks and I would be happy.

When I saw what they were planning with Crackdown 2 I knew Ruffian were clueless. They had no idea what made the first game so good.

It wasn't just about the 10 months (not like that is an excuse, though), the game was just totally misguided.

PSGames

The mechanic revolves around time, and people who can stop time. The technical capability that we have with the platform really starts to shine here. If I'm playing, say, Halo, and all of a sudden the letterbox comes in to restrict the screen, I can set the controller down because I get this set-piece that plays out that I don't interact with.

We do that because we want you to pay attention to the story, but also because we're using all the horsepower of the platform to render what you see. We're turning off the AI, we're turning off any level of control or animation for characters that you don't see, we're purging memory. Then when we letterbox out we load the game engine back in and you play it.

In Xbox One you can interact with those set-pieces directly, and play in them. This isn't just that the scenes are more graphic. In the gameplay segment, there's the huge tanker hitting the bridge, you see the little warp effect which is the players actually impacting time. And they freeze the tanker halfway through ramming through this bridge. And that bridge scene, as its going on, you're actually playing in that bridge scene. Because we have the RAM, the GPU, CPU capability, we can take something that used to be completely passive and allow you to play through that scene.

The enemy AI, the enemy pathing, all of those will actually take place while that gameplay is frozen in time. And you can freeze that at any point; right at the beginning when the tanker hits the bridge, after it's torn all the way through, so it puts you in complete control of these huge set-pieces that turn into something that you get to play with.

Ok this just get my gears turning. What if these "interactive set pieces" were Kinect controlled? Would breakup the frantic FPS action somewhat. Could be really interesting.

I suspect it's episodic.

And I bet there's a TV episode every week, and a game episode every month or so.

It's episodic in structure, but the ENTIRE game and ENTIRE show is on the disc. Both happen simultaneously and bounce off of each other to shape the narrative. It basically sounds like the culmination of everything Remedy's done so far in terms of gameplay and storytelling in one game; bullet time, episodic story, live action, tv shows, etc.

Top Bottom