• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Crackdown 3: "I'm going to bite my tongue." +FM5,QuantumBreak,KI info

was indeed real-time then!

irauL7FYXVr4b.gif

image_quantum_break-22372-2722_0004.jpg

I still don't understand the whole T.V business in Quantum Break.

Does the game come with the T.V show in the disk? They haven't managed to be clear about their message at all. Is the game episodic like Walking Dead?

Yeah, they said the entire show is on the disc too.

When I saw what they were planning with Crackdown 2 I knew Ruffian were clueless. They had no idea what made the first game so good.

It wasn't just about the 10 months (not like that is an excuse, though), the game was just totally misguided.

I guess they were like, "Kids love zombies. Every game is better when you add zombies, let's put them in."

I can't wait to see what the dev thinks we want for Crackdown 3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
avalanche would be a good fit --- but arent they doing mad max, and just cause at the moment?

ObiDin

I loved Crackdown but isn't anything now just another studio trying to recapture that same magic? I always have distrust of franchises that are passed to another developer. Neversoft with Guitar Hero, Trearch with CoD, 343 with Halo, etc. if the original creative and development team isn't behind it anymore, it generally lacks the greatness of the originals.

Some exceptions exist like Obsidian's franchise continuing games, though they come with their own set of massive problems that require loads of patching to make the games great.

So based on Crackdown 2, I remain skeptical.

I know Crackdown 2 gets a lot of shit around here, but I still had a great time with the game. I missed being able to track down the different gangs and leaders but the wingsuit...

Drek

avalanche would be a good fit --- but arent they doing mad max, and just cause at the moment?

Yes. Both well into development with neither on the verge of release (though they haven't confirmed if the SE title is Just Cause 3 or a new IP). Previously they've had the core Just Cause team, released the first title in '06 and the sequel in '10. Mad Max is scheduled for 2014, very possibly the title that a large portion of that group has been working on since JC2 was released (that is also the time window in which Cory Barlog was supposedly involved in early planning on a Mad Max tie in game to the new movie, FYI, and he's now done Tomb Raider).

The only other games they've made are The Hunter and Renegade Ops, neither on the scale of the new project they have with SE in the works. They've obviously been growing, but they've also got plenty of work on their plate as it stands now.

Now if Xbox One is only able to do graphics this good for the next 10 years, I'd be happy.

I'm less concerned with FPS and Jigga Flopz than I am with the next gen giving us new kinds of games like these.

This game may flop, but at least someone is trying a new formula. I can't stomach another generation of shinier clones of the crap we've been playing for the past 10 years.

Leflus

There's a lot of ex-Pandemic devs at 343 Industries. Would be awesome to see their take on the Crackdown series.

Not going to happen though...

bidguy

Banned
quantum break not being at gamescom is the biggest disappointment so far :(

the big question with crackdown is, whos developing it ?

op_ivy

If everything we saw of this game was real-time....it's now my Vote for best looking in-game graphics of E3.

they always said it was (aside from the real video from the tv series) and yeah, i agree. best graphics for next-gen so far.

Their exclusive games line-up is getting more and more compelling. If it wasn't $499 I'd probably get it over the PS4 and then get PS4 in 2014. Something about that extra hundred bucks is daggering me, though.

I never really doubted that the bridge part is real time. The physics obviously aren't, you can clearly tell that they are pre-calculated or animated. Same with Naughty Dog and Uncharted 3 where Drake runs from the water. It is real time, but also pre-calculated.
It really looks good, but there is nothing impossible about it. I expect most linear games to reach that fidelity in late 2014 / early 2015, around when QB releases.

Still, for Remedy it is an impressive achievement. Apart from the lighting Alan Wake didn't look that hot on the 360.

Ok this just get my gears turning. What if these "interactive set pieces" were Kinect controlled? Would breakup the frantic FPS action somewhat. Could be really interesting.

I'm not so sure. Sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure it would work all that well in practice. Then again, we've yet to see Kinect 2.0 used with any games, so perhaps it's good enough to make it work

Razdek

Banned
Quantum Break looks great and I enjoyed the Alan Wake games. Hope this thing is released soon and not one of those games that lingers for years.

derFeef

Gifed some parts that seem to be realtime in QB, actually the scene where Jack walks through the debris was described by the press as the only realtime part they saw at E3. Even with some downgrades, it will be fantastic.

9464596957_28ca72205e_o.gif

9467385668_3e1ac8a2d0_o.gif

9464611801_060ee649e6_o.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Crackdown in the next gen is going to be nuts, I can't even imagine.

Hope it would still retain the cell-shading too.

op_ivy

Gifed some parts that seem to be realtime in QB, actually the scene where Jack walks through the debris was described by the press as the only realtime part they saw at E3. Even with some downgrades, it will be fantastic.

9464596957_28ca72205e_o.gif

9467385668_3e1ac8a2d0_o.gif

9464611801_060ee649e6_o.gif

soo soo good. and its remedy, so we know the story and gameplay will be equally as awesome. 2014 GOTY candidate.

Crackdown in the next gen is going to be nuts, I can't even imagine.

Hope it would still retain the cell-shading too.

I hope they add some level of destructibility to the city. I also expect to fight agents this time round. Enough of the gangs/zombies/monsters, it's time to face off against agents who have the same abilities and access to the same transforming vehicles and weapons as the main character

Just imagine a fight against a fellow agent going city wide with buildings crumbling in your wake...

Alx

I'm replaying Crackdown again (from the beginning) thanks to games for gold, and it's just as fun as I remember. I wouldn't mind a sequel after all, some parts can be improved, like interaction with the environment : sometimes you're not sure if you can grab an element of a facade or not, and non-flat surfaces like rocks can be a bit awkward.
I also think they should improve the "grabbing" mechanism, something more like Assassin's Creed with ropes and ladders and making it easier to stop your fall by grabbing anything. But keep the jumping from roof to roof, that's just perfect.

SeanNoonan

Do you know what your old mates at Ruffian are up too Sean?

They must be working on more than that tower game surely..
I've not heard from anyone about much in a while to be honest. The Tribal Towers game wasn't even a thing when I was there, so a lot might have changed.
A bunch of my pals and I left around the same time so my contact isn't as frequent.

Before I left we worked on a bunch of stuff - some that has been announced and some that has not. I'm not sure if some of the stuff I did is still in production or if they've got something new. Either way, I can't comment - I just look forward to whatever they put out next :D

I'm replaying Crackdown again (from the beginning) thanks to games for gold, and it's just as fun as I remember. I wouldn't mind a sequel after all, some parts can be improved, like interaction with the environment : sometimes you're not sure if you can grab an element of a facade or not, and non-flat surfaces like rocks can be a bit awkward.
I also think they should improve the "grabbing" mechanism, something more like Assassin's Creed with ropes and ladders and making it easier to stop your fall by grabbing anything. But keep the jumping from roof to roof, that's just perfect.

Stopping your fall? What? Turning it into a no risk mess like Assassins Creed would be a terrible idea.

Hindle

Banned
No one ever asks Phil about PD or Banjo via twitter.

Derfeef, Ekim, get on it.

Not that he'll give us anything worthwhile lol.

Alx

Stopping your fall? What? Turning it into a no risk mess like Assassins Creed would be a terrible idea.

Well maybe not in all situations, but you could try to aim for a zip line as part of your move list. I wonder if it wasn't intended in the original game actually, since there are many cables hanging everywhere, and I don't think you can interact with them.
It's not like falling is that dangerous in the game anyway, after a few hours of running around, I can already fall from great heights without fearing for my life (the only time a fall killed me yesterday was after I got hit by two rockets mid-jump :p).

Well maybe not in all situations, but you could try to aim for a zip line as part of your move list. I wonder if it wasn't intended in the original game actually, since there are many cables hanging everywhere, and I don't think you can interact with them.
It's not like falling is that dangerous in the game anyway, after a few hours of running around, I can already fall from great heights without fearing for my life (the only time a fall killed me yesterday was after I got hit by two rockets mid-jump :p).

I'd rather they bring back the wingsuit and you use that to attempt to salvage any failed platforming attempt. Ziplines would certainly be interesting, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it as you're pretty much a running and jumping beast after a few short hours.

Yeah, falling isn't dangerous, but there's still a level of risk of involved when you're climbing some of the bigger buildings. To have what is essentially a reset option to get you back to where you were before you fell in one quick second would ruin the platforming aspect.

Top Bottom