• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Played A New Game From Rare Today

abadguy

Banned
Apart from the fact that the thread is talking about Gregg Mayles presenting the game who is one of the "originals" but carry on.

Come on now. You should know a Rare thread isn't complete until we get the usual "Rare is ded" rant.

As long as kinect isn't required, I will probably get whatever they put out. If its an old IP, I prefer Conker, Viva Pinata, or Kameo over Banjo but Banjo would be cool as well.

black_spear

Neo Member
Can't see how this won't disappoint, a small part of my heart still believes though.

Same here.

I have given to them too many opportunities though. Moreover, the current RARE haven’t got some of the artist that designed the SuperB games in the N64 era. They aren’t the top notch team that they were 15 years ago.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Who says it has to be E3? We might find out about it on the 5th.

If Phil Spencer only now has greenlit the game, do you really think it could realistically be shown to the public in a few weeks? Anything they show then will probably have been planned for showing quite a while. Also, the leak on this very board pointed towards E3 for an anouncement, didn't it? If it's Banjo, someone else will be doing Battletoads though and this might very well be part of a presentation in december...

ChomeurDeFrance

Neo Member
We already know, this game, it's a AAA adventure games,
Rare Studios is currently developing a AAA game, we look at the clues and try to decipher what this could be
http://www.gameskinny.com/7rewf/rar...nture-and-it-looks-like-its-not-a-kinect-game

I hope it's a game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. A great exclusive game, for a mature audience.
I like Banjo and Conker, but, these games is for kids.

Anyway, i'm afraid to be disapointed by Rare. They are so excentric, and originals. This is a major default for me (look Banjo Nut's and Bolts or Viva Pinata).

goldenpp72

Rare Studios is currently developing a AAA game, we look at the clues and try to decipher what this could be
http://www.gameskinny.com/7rewf/rar...nture-and-it-looks-like-its-not-a-kinect-game

I hope it's a game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. A great exclusive game, for a mature audience.

Anyway, i'm afraid to be disapointed by Rare. They are so excentric, and originals. This is a major default for me (look Banjo Nut's and Bolts or Viva Pinata).

You seem very mature.

JaggedSac

Kids need games too.

Yoshi

If it is a style-over-substance game like Uncharted, then Phil Spencer has lied when he said typically Rareware. While technically impressive, Rareware games always were about a great gameplay concept, not about nice vistas.

EDIT: By the way, did I just miss "Conker (...) is for kids"? Oh my... Also, I think Banjo is totally fine for an adult, too, I can tell you that I'd much, much rather play Banjo-Threeie than any AAA-presentation oriented game for "the adult market" (read: teen boys), at age 27.

MysteryM

Okay I'm going to say it... I love my n64 (I didn't own a PS one) and it was the only machine I had at the time which I played all of Nintendo's classics on however..

Banjo was a poor mans Super Mario 64 for me, I tried as I could to enjoy it but the scale of the maps etc. just didn't give me the same feeling of interest and I got bored before finishing it. Don't get me wrong I tried my best to enjoy it but just couldn't.

I'd go as far as to say that I thought that blast corps was a more fun game.

Yoshi

Why are people guessing? We know it's Banjo already

Only we don't. There's a comment by a well-renowned GAF leaker, but that's not "knowing what it is". Also, even if a new Banjo is at E3, that does not necessarily mean it's made by Rare in the same way that a new Battletoads existing does not mean it is made by Rare. The only thing about Rare frnachises we know as a fact right now is that Battletoads is something Microsoft wants to work with in some way (and that Killer Instinct gets continued).

Salty Hippo

Twitter

Probably is Banjo then

That hardly proves anything. Gregg has created so many games, and he's the main design director there so of course he would present the game no matter what it is.

I want Banjo, but I still think it's a new IP. I liked to see him using the name Rareware, but I don't think that neccessarily means it's a sequel from a Rareware-era game.

I'd love to see they rename the studio back to Rareware, though. And change that awful new logo while you're at it. That would create a ton of good will with fans.

Please explain why you think it's dated and what modernization should entail. I would say that Banjo-Kazooie even has a way more clever way of structuring the game than most modern games that either are completely linear anway (which is fine by me, but then the game should focus on mechanical aspects, like a 2D platformer for instance), guide you via a compass or speech through a huge, but mechanically mostly empty world (think Assassin's Creed) or just put you into a huge world without giving you any good pointers where to go.

Camera and controls, for starters; even with the improvements that 4J have implemented, they come way short of today's standards.

While you seem to love the collectathon subgenre, and I don't really mind it either, there are just too many things to collect at times. I feel that the game would benefit from streamlining in that area, while implementing some potentially lost functionality in other ways.

Most rooms in the hub world are relatively small, and devoid of much to do, so the game sometimes feels claustrophobic even when it's not supposed to. Other levels are much better in that regard, but I'm not really a fan of entirely discrete worlds that follow the usual pattern of water, ice, dessert etc. I would much prefer a different structure providing a more organically connected, but just as varied world.

In addition to that, the hub is too labyrinthine at times. You say that the world is well designed without the need for a map or a compass, but I wish I could have a dime for every time I entered the wrong room or wondered where I'd seen the one that I needed to go to.

Also, some puzzles are really unfair.
Getting out of the horror world transformed in a pumpkin? All right, I figured out that I might need to do something like that, and I managed to find the cave. But then entering the shack from the back through the entrance I couldn't even see in all the darkness, without giving me a single hint or anything beforehand? Come on now, that's just bullshit.

I liked the game a lot, it was the first Xbox 360 game that I got a 1000 gamerscore for, but it's very much a product (dare I say relict?) of its time. If they make a new Banjo game, I would prefer if it didn't stick to its predecessors' blueprint blindly.

Yoshi

Camera and controls, for starters; even with the improvements that 4J have implemented, they come way short of today's standards.

While you seem to love the collectathon subgenre, and I don't really mind it either, there are just too many things to collect at times. I feel that the game would benefit from streamlining in that area, while implementing some potentially lost functionality in other ways.

Most rooms in the hub world are relatively small, and devoid of much to do, so the game sometimes feels claustrophobic even when it's not supposed to. Other levels are much better in that regard, but I'm not really a fan of entirely discrete worlds that follow the usual pattern of water, ice, dessert etc. I would much prefer a different structure providing a more organically connected, but just as varied world.

In addition to that, the hub is too labyrinthine at times. You say that the world is well designed without the need for a map or a compass, but I wish I could have a dime for every time I entered the wrong room or wondered where I'd seen the one that I needed to go to.

Also, some puzzles are really unfair.
Getting out of the horror world transformed in a pumpkin? All right, I figured out that I might need to do something like that, and I managed to find the cave. But then entering the shack from the back through the entrance I couldn't even see in all the darkness, without giving me a single hint or anything beforehand? Come on now, that's just bullshit.

I liked the game a lot, it was the first Xbox 360 game that I got a 1000 gamerscore for, but it's very much a product (dare I say relict?) of its time. If they make a new Banjo game, I would prefer if it didn't stick to its predecessors' blueprint blindly.

First thank you for the detailled answer. I agree that controls (somewhat) and camera (moreso) could use an update, but clearly a new Banjo would be designed around the One controller, not the N64 one and if it was designed around the N64 one, then there wouldn't be much room for improvement anyway.

Regarding there being too many things to collect, I disagree, because there are only really three things to collect: Puzzle pieces, which are just the goals of the level, notes, which guide the way through the level, and Jinjos, the only part that could be left out, but on the other hand, I don't think Jinjos should cause any trouble either, so I just can't see the point.

Banjo-Tooie already ventured into connecting the worlds, but this has to be done carefully. Distinct worlds are needed to make navigation easy and fun, as well as to ensure a huge density of game content, so you can't really drop that without damaging the game. Again, see Banjo-Tooie, where the worlds tended to be too big and therefore difficult to navigate properly.

What would you propose as a modernization here? Doing away with the world structure altogether? I think this would not work in conjunction with a proper collectathon design and would make finding the "remaining" collectibles a chore. Of course you could do it the same way as Jak & Daxter, having discrete worlds, but make it seem as if they were not dijunct by not having walls around the world. From my experience that does not change the gameplay much, but make traversal between worlds a bit more complicated. Also, I think that fusing the worlds to one world would not be a modernization per sé, but just a different approach.

jimi_dini

Don't play with me GAF, my heart won't be able to take it this time.

I'm expecting a trailer. Showing Banjo. He says something like "well, that took quite some time since the last actual game, ey?". And then he says something like "well, I guess you should create your own game" and it's actually a trailer for Project Spark DLC.

KmdCPTP.jpg

Or maybe it's just Nuts & Bolts Part 2.

klodeckel

Banned
It slowly all comes together ...
(article from 18th March)

Rare assessing classic franchises

In the article on Digital Spy he says: "For us it's, 'Let's pick the right creative idea and the right game to go and build', and is Kinect the right input for that? Or is it controller, or is it SmartGlass or PC-based or touch?"

He goes on to say: "If it's an old IP for a new idea we had that we can show on a new platform in an interesting way, then of course we go look at it."

"Then you're asking the question of, 'Should this be a new IP or should this be something we already own in our own portfolio?' They're the kind of decisions and discussions we have pretty regularly, actually."

http://www.therwp.com/news/rare-assessing-classic-franchises

That hardly proves anything. Gregg has created so many games, and he's the main design director there so of course he would present the game no matter what it is.

I want Banjo, but I still think it's a new IP. I liked to see him using the name Rareware, but I don't think that neccessarily means it's a sequel from a Rareware-era game.

I'd love to see they rename the studio back to Rareware, though. And change that awful new logo while you're at it. That would create a ton of good will with fans.

Im aware of all that, but there are rumours that Banjo is coming back and to me, it all aligns pretty nicely.

Sponge

Banned
Will be the best Nintendo E3

OK I have no idea what I'm talking about but I have a dream that one day Nintendo and Rare will be together again.

Nintendo had their chance to buy them and passed. Sometimes I wish they didn't but it is what it is :/ I just hope Rare can find the talent to make great games again.

NickFire

The news from MS is becoming more informative by the minute. Last week we learned that someday they will have sold 10 million units to retailers. This week we learn that their games studio is still making games.

Party on.

abadguy

Banned
The news from MS is becoming more informative by the minute. Last week we learned that someday they will have sold 10 million units to retailers. This week we learn that their games studio is still making games.

Party on.

I'm sorry, was there some sort of point being made here?

Yoshi

Party on.
I've got more news for you: Fans of said developer might get excited for the games the developer develops!

If it is a style-over-substance game like Uncharted, then Phil Spencer has lied when he said typically Rareware. While technically impressive, Rareware games always were about a great gameplay concept, not about nice vistas.

EDIT: By the way, did I just miss "Conker (...) is for kids"? Oh my... Also, I think Banjo is totally fine for an adult, too, I can tell you that I'd much, much rather play Banjo-Threeie than any AAA-presentation oriented game for "the adult market" (read: teen boys), at age 27.

Uncharted is anything but style over substance, it has some of the best TPS combat out there.

Yoshi

Uncharted is anything but style over substance, it has some of the best TPS combat out there.

I've not played too many TPS because of not liking the genre all too much, but I must have struck gold with the games I have played, because they beat the shit out of Uncharted's shooting mechanics. Interesting, considering there was licencsed stuff like Transformers among the games I've played. Anyway, I won't say more on that matter in this thread, because this is supposed to be our Banjo pre-party.

harSon

Banned
I'm excited to see what kind of graphics they can pump out. Those dudes have been graphical wizards as of late.

I hope to see your hopes crushed.

I'm tired of cinematic experiences and games that takes you by the hand (hello Uncharted), give me a Banjo or a Jet Force Gemini instead.

Im not tired of it, but MS moneyhatted TR because they didnt have a game like that, I highly doubt if anyone is doing it Rare is. Im also not a huge fan of Uncharted, it was a better Tomb Raider but then the TR reboot was a better Uncharted, imo.

I'd love a Perfect Dark reboot, focusing on stealth and gadgets, like a mix of Splinter Cell Blacklist and Deus Ex HR but I would be satisfied with Banjo.

Top Bottom