• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Played A New Game From Rare Today

we Back
jet-force-gemini-box.jpg

AU Tiger

even if it IS battletoads, it will not resemble the battletoads that made those NES controllers creak and squeak out of fury and frustration.

It will be dumbed down easy enough for the casual gamer to finish rather than an elite badge of honor you wore as a king amongst children at the playground.

Enough shooters already, we need some action adventure / platforming games! Bring on Banjo or Conker!

As much as I love perfect dark (not the 360 game), I too would prefer a platformer above all but seeing the abundance of shooters being released left and right makes me think PD is the most likely candidate for being restored. That or Battletoads.

Given the Battletoads tease in KS Rivals and recent Battletoads trademark filed by Microsoft, if it's not Battletoads I'm going to be disappointed.

But if it's Conker or Banjo then I'm fine

Sydle

As much as I love perfect dark (not the 360 game), I too would prefer a platformer above all but seeing the abundance of shooters being released left and right makes me think PD is the most likely candidate for being restored. That or Battletoads.

I'd also prefer a platformer, but I'd be pretty excited if they made PD a TPS with the platforming of Mirror's Edge, Mission: Impossible-style espionage and action, and Tomb Raider 2013 production values. Not sure I trust Rare with it though. Perhaps BlackTusk could grow to take on Gears and Perfect Dark, or maybe Spencer should just fund SE/Crystal Dynamics to do it.

Battletoads I'm less excited for because of the assumed difficulty, but if that's where Rare decides to start their resurgence of bringing back old IP I'll take it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That 'uniquely rare game as they should' comment is so disingenuous, as though he hasn't been the head of Xbox Studios for donkeys years and hence been the one ultimately responsible for forcing them to churn out shovel ware and avatar accessories.

Alx

Given the Battletoads tease in KS Rivals and recent Battletoads trademark filed by Microsoft, if it's not Battletoads I'm going to be disappointed.

Yeah it seems a logical expectation... but the more I think about it :

Seriously, it's an IP that was made for the 90s and that should probably stay in the 90s (sorry fans).

Dear lord, YES!

Get this tard fairy look out of here!

I much prefer the "tardy" fairy look (it always looked more Native American to me than fairy), and the game must remain lighthearted and stylized. However, I don't exactly hate the artwork you posted, I thought you were talking about this:

While I don't necessarily hate that either, it would be disheartening going from the beautiful, lush original to that. We need more colorful all-ages AAA games full of childlike wonder.

Salty Hippo

I much prefer the "tardy" fairy look (it always looked more Native American to me than fairy), and the game must remain lighthearted and stylized. However, I don't exactly hate the artwork you posted, I thought you were talking about this:

While I don't necessarily hate that either, it would be disheartening going from the beautiful, lush original to that. We need more colorful all-ages AAA games full of childlike wonder.

God no, I agree with you. The realistic concept is completely stupid. It looks good, but it's definitely not the direction they should take with this franchise.

abadguy

Banned
I hope that Rare has hired better character designers in recent years, it was never their strong point in the past.

Banjo Kazooie: Live and Reloaded

A remake of BK1 with next-gen graphics would make me extremely happy. And it's practically guaranteed to be amazing (since BK1 is already amazing). Throw in some Xbox and Microsoft related jokes and I'm good!

That said, I would love to see something new from the series, a sequel to Kameo or another series, or even something new.

I just hope it's not another Viva Pinata game. Not that those are bad games (they're great!) but they still hold up really well and there's not really much else I feel I need to see from that series.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nah, you waited 14 years. GR is a mediocre game..
I'd say it's good (whereas Banjo-Kazooie is absolutely perfect and Banjo-Tooie is great) and about as much as one could have expected of a GBA conversion of the Banjo formula.

Montresor

I'm crossing my fingers that it's Banjo Nuts n Bolts 2. *knock on wood*

Banjo Threeie can get fucked. Release Nuts n Bolts 2 first, then have a go at Threeie.

Poona

Banjo Threeie can get fucked. Release Nuts n Bolts 2 first, then have a go at Threeie.

Make some other characters for Nuts & Bolts. They could have made some robots or something for that.

The highlight of nuts & bolts for me was running around the town as banjo, going for a swim and climbing up high. The lowlights were not being able to play as Kazooie and the tinkering in the garage. I don't want to make cars, and so on and experiment with them.

I just want to go on adventures with Banjo and Kazooie (and Mumbo - loved being able to play as him in Tooie), using their powers/magic/abilities and not depend on how well some machine that you drive is built.

turcy

Yeah it seems a logical expectation... but the more I think about it :

Seriously, it's an IP that was made for the 90s and that should probably stay in the 90s (sorry fans).

i feel you, but i happen to be in a throw-back kind of mood this generation.

bring it on!

[although i'd certainly prefer something like jet force gemini to be revisited]

I will never understand people like you. Nuts n Bolts was never meant to be a Banjo game, it was show horned into the IP. Let them make a new Nuts n Bolts but for the love of God don't make it Banjo themed. It doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom