• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer Played A New Game From Rare Today

Xav

My dad's uncle's friend...

Nah I'm kidding. Just a little insider information that happened to come my way earlier this year. Avatars are making a comeback on Xbox One and the facial recognition technology from Kinect Sports Rivals will be a dashboard feature in the future.

As for Lionhead Studios, they helped Rare finish Kinect Sports Rivals so consider them two the best of friends.

Nicktendo86

Oh the music will be great Robin I have no doubt about that.

I really hope Rare make a comeback. Easily my favourite developer of the 90's, it is heart breaking to see the sorry state they are in now. Have everything crossed for a great game but can't help but feel it will be an avatar filled shit fest.

Silky

Banned

Oh shit Robin's on GAF

Nah I'm kidding. Just a little insider information that happened to come my way earlier this year. Avatars are making a comeback on Xbox One and the facial recognition technology from Kinect Sports Rivals will be a dashboard feature in the future.

As for Lionhead Studios, they helped Rare finish Kinect Sports Rivals so consider them two the best of friends.

Hmm.

ekim

Microsoft has ... mascots?
Well they could use:
  • Master Chief
  • Banjo, Kazooie
  • Battletoads
  • Car from Forza Motorsports
  • Marcus Fenix
  • Alan Wake
  • Clippi
  • Fable Guy
  • Conker
  • Viva Pinata animals
  • Kameo guys and gals
  • That Ryse guy

Any additions?

Ushay

Rare and MS would be stupid not to make a Banjo Threeie or a new Perfect Dark for the X1. The sheer amount of hype, buzz, and goodwill created would be huge. Announcing either would make gamers love Xbox again.

Phil Spencer says he reads Gaf, well pay good attention to this comment mate.

I think they need to prove themselves with new IP's for a new audience and because its a new generation.

The old ones would definitely create goodwill Imo, Banjo being the most wanted I think for me.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well they could use:
  • Master Chief
  • Banjo, Kazooie
  • Battletoads
  • Marcus Fenix
  • Alan Wake
  • Clippi
  • Fable Guy
  • Conker
  • Viva Pinata animals
  • Kameo guys and gals
  • That Ryse guy

Any additions?

• Some Kind of Age of empires fighter, or Wonderful 101 style mini people.
  • Another character from Halo, like an Elite.
  • Minecraft Steve
  • Frank West

ekim

• Some Kind of Age of empires fighter, or Wonderful 101 style mini people.
  • Another character from Halo, like an Elite.
  • Minecraft Steve
  • Frank West

I would play this and instead of a Forza Car, a 2D cardboard bystander from FM5

edit: Joanna Dark of course

Salty Hippo

Well they could use:
  • Master Chief
  • Banjo, Kazooie
  • Battletoads
  • Marcus Fenix
  • Alan Wake
  • Clippi
  • Fable Guy
  • Conker
  • Viva Pinata animals
  • Kameo guys and gals
  • That Ryse guy

Any additions?

Joanna Dark
Juno from JFG.
At least 10 KI iconic characters.
Kaim (Lost Odyssey lead)
Shu (Blue Dragon lead)
Crackdown guy
Blinx
Voodoo Vince

There are many other characters in BK and Conker that could be used. Mumbo, Grunty, Klungo, Panther King, Birdy, Gregg the Reaper.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Tip Tup! Though if Microsoft does this (a brawler), I'd hope they'd choose a different studio for that. I think a collaboration between Rare (concept, some desgin) and Sumo (development) for a Banjo & Rare All-Stars Racing (DKR-stlye) would be a great thing if Microsoft is willing to revive old Rare franchises like Banjo and Conker.

DarkTom

Ryu Hayabusa could work as a third-party guest for the brawler, maybe the stranger from Oddworld also.

First-Party the have also :
- Sabrewulf or Fulgore form Killer Instinct.

- The Xbox avatar.

- Crimson Skies series plane.

- The Sunset Overdrive guy.

- A Lost Odyssey character

- Blinx

- A Crackdown character

There's the Scalebound and Quantum Break characters if the games are out before.

Plus all the characters talked about above, this could be a cool game.

weekev

Banned
Joanna Dark
Juno from JFG.
At least 10 KI iconic characters.
Kaim (Lost Odyssey lead)
Shu (Blue Dragon lead)
Crackdown guy
Blinx
Voodoo Vince

There are many other characters in BK and Conker that could be used. Mumbo, Grunty, Klungo, Panther King, Birdy, Gregg the Reaper.
I would main the shit out of Gregg the Reaper if they made a Super Smash Chiefers

Castef

Banned
Microsoft has ... mascots?

They could put in the game uhm...

- Master Chief and maybe another Halo character (why not Cortana?)
- Someone from Gears of War
- 1/2 characters from Banjo Kazooie (maybe Banjo and Mumbo Jumbo)
- Joanna Dark
- Splosion Man / Mrs Splosion Man
- One or two Pinatas
- Some character from Kameo
- Someone from Killer Instinct

In the end they could end up with a very nice roster.

Yet, I don't like Smash Bros-like operations.

Neither does Phil Spencer.

Im not sure about this pirate themed game, I don't think thats what Phil Spencer would be referring to. Perhaps it would surprise me but I wouldn't be particularly excited for that.

Also, if anyone was interesting, another Rare job listing directly mentions experience with Unreal Engine on top of another one that mentioned UE4 before:

•Experience with Unreal Engine or equivalent is a plus.

Microsoft careers sites

Sydle

Last I heard of Rare was that they were working on a pirate themed Nintendoland style game that didn't use Kinect. It was in the concept stage so I have no idea if they decided to carry on with it or moved on to something else.

I'm down for that, but the pirate theme sounds weird. Perfect reason to bring a lot of Rare IP together for different games. Also seems like something a team, or teams within Rare could keep building on as a platform. Launch it with kart racing and it would sell a lot.

I still want true sequels for Banjo and VP though.

Oddduck

I wish Microsoft would sell Rare's older games as a collection on one disk for Xbox One.

It's not like you can buy these games on the Virtual Console, and many games like Jet Force Gemini aren't available on Xbox Live Arcade.

Salty Hippo

Pirate theme? PROJECT DREAM LIVES! Captain Black Eye will finally get his own game!

Top5Can4.png

Naeval

I think it is a new IP. I can't wait, but... who knows... I expect they do not try to cancel it, and it is not a kinect game :(

abadguy

Banned
They could put in the game uhm...

- Master Chief and maybe another Halo character (why not Cortana?)
- Someone from Gears of War
- 1/2 characters from Banjo Kazooie (maybe Banjo and Mumbo Jumbo)
- Joanna Dark
- Splosion Man / Mrs Splosion Man
- One or two Pinatas
- Some character from Kameo
- Someone from Killer Instinct

In the end they could end up with a very nice roster.

Yeah i'd rather they do something completely different with all those characters. Maybe some sort of action adventure game where the MC interacts with all these characters in some way. If it were a fighter i would rather it be more a Marvel VS Capcom or Power Stone type fighting game rather than Smash.

Pple care about Rare + Nintendo, not Rare + gravedigger IP company.

If KI is any indication, Rare's IPs will be just fine. Rare + Nintendo hasn't been a thing for years and never will be a thing again. So coming into every Rare thread to shit it up by beating a dead horse is tiresome. Time to get over it and move on!

Salty Hippo

If they were to return, I don't think they'd use the name Kameo. More, same themes, and gameplay, only with a different name.

I've thought about this as well. If they ever make another Kameo, I wish they would change the title and the tone of the game. Keep Kameo as the protagonist, but make her look darker and badass like in those leaked Kameo 2 concept arts.

abadguy

Banned
Enough shooters already, we need some action adventure / platforming games! Bring on Banjo or Conker!

Perfect Dark has always been more than just a simple shooter though. They could play up the spy/espionage angle more. Cyberpunk 007.

Holy shit, Robin Beanland is here!

How long ago did you hear this? I know they added the ability to use your Kinect Sports champion as your gamer pic, but I wonder how they'll handle it for people without Kinect?

First thing I thought of when I heard pirate themed Nintendo Land was project dream. I wonder if that is still what they're working on though.

Top Bottom