• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
jurassic-park-this-is-one-big-pile-of-shit.gif

💯 agreed. On console, I really don’t see the issue. People just love to whine

Edit: all the LOL reactions prove my point about the whininess ;)
“Waaaah my big 300+ hour sprawling open world RPG with a thousand planets doesn’t run at 60 fps on my $499 console”

Last edited:
Of course it is. That's common sense. When you're designing a game around a piece of hardware, obviously the capabilities of that hardware (and how far you want to push it) are taken into consideration.

If they wanted to scale back systems, scale, lighting, texture detail, ambient occlusion, resolution etc.. etc.. they could've made a game that ran at 60fps on Series X.

That's not what this game is though.

Again, buy a high end PC if you want 4k/60 visuals. We're only going to continue to see these concessions more and more on these consoles as the generation goes on.

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Creativity my ass. There is no excuse. There should be 60fps option period. If creativity is so important then why allow pc gamers to play above 30fps, lock your game to 30fps so it cannot be bypassed but you will get shit for it so you this excuse won't work on pc. There is nothing about this game that i have seen which would justify 30fps as creative decision

ProtoByte

Weasel word hour is still on, I see.
Look, just admit that you can't do both at the same time. Your machine is 500 dollars and 3 years old on the market. People shouldn't expect ridiculous things all the time.

One does wonder though why they can't drop the resolution and some graphics settings to achieve the 60, but whatever. Point above still stands.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Not giving the player a choice, makes it a “creative choice.”

I’d rather more devs made a choice on how their games looked/performed, instead of leaving it up to me.

I will add this, I wouldn’t want to lessen anything I saw yesterday, just to get the extra frames.

StueyDuck

by now people should know that Bethesda games are best on PC.

I had fallout 3 on console back in the day and I won't do another one again.

Last edited:

cireza

Waiting for 60fps to try this out. They will most certainly find a way, it was simply not a priority at launch.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Yes. Bethesda decided to push the capabilities of the console's CPU. Tons of NPCs, Tons of dynamic objects, large varied environments, day/night cycle with weather, and a real time GI system so all of these dynamic objects don't look out of place in the environments.

NickFire

It's probably a "creative choice" not to scale it down to the level needed for 60 FPS on the S. Seems rather obvious to me after Halo had features cut, BG3 not launching same day as Xbox, and Redfall not shipping with 60 FPS. We always knew that S would come with tradeoffs. Stuff like this seems natural until and unless they declare 60 FPS as a graphical setting and not a feature, although I am not sure they want to go there before Starfield launches. Hence, I am convinced the X will get 60 FPS at some point post launch with less than the usual fanfare for big updates. Would also make sense to soft condition audience to frame rate differences between X and S without really saying much while doing so. Do that for a few games then they can just allow these differences at launch after a while.

Superkewl

well, if it's like Fallout 4 on series x before the FPS boost was introduced, somebody will just make a 60fps mod. Problem solved. Not saying it will hit 60 fps, but at least unlock the framerate

Last edited:

feynoob

I agree and its a bad choice imo .

But could also be the shitty series S impending 60fps implementation.

30 fps is old gen as fuck ... and I hope it dies a quick death real soon for all games in all systems
What do you want more A buggy 60 fps or smooth 30 fps?

Top Bottom