• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, I buy the camera if I care about showing my face on Twitch. Or I don't buy it if I don't.

maybe the Xbox twitch streaming has built in support for overlaying your face with kinect, and the PS4 software doesn't? We haven't seen detailed walkthroughs with either but it is possible - in which case you wouldn't be able to overlay your face even if you had a PSeye

Huff

Banned
The whole all in one thing confuses me. I'm not sure what the x1 or even the ps4 are doing that the ps360 couldn't. mediawise

Sure, just like the PS3 all-in-one solution convinced everyone. It's funny to see how roles have switched in this gen.

Except the PS3 really did over-deliver value as far as cost went. Sony was losing hundreds of dollars on every console and it was the best and often the cheapest Blu Ray player available when it came out. The first batch of consoles also offered BC. Sony flailed in the beginning because gamers wanted a games console while so much of what drove the cost up the cost of the PS3 was secondary to gaming and the complexity of Cell actively hampered gaming.

Microsoft could easily sell people on the 'value' of their Xbone if they simply offered a compelling gaming application for Kinect.

gruenel

maybe the Xbox twitch streaming has built in support for overlaying your face with kinect, and the PS4 software doesn't? We haven't seen detailed walkthroughs with either but it is possible - in which case you wouldn't be able to overlay your face even if you had a PSeye

Share-stream1.jpg

BWJinxing

That comment reminds me of the time i used to play MAG without a mic and one time, I was squad leader and there entire game this guy was yelling at me I can't be leader because I don't have a microphone so I should give up command despite being active.

I wont be using connect, so the value pill is hard to swallow for me. That twich comment however is meh.

KurowaSan

N3133Nf.jpg

Marleyman

Banned
All MS' statements have revolved around "once you understand it, you'll be impressed".

So why don't you stop talking about understanding it and start actually explaining it

Sony haven't done a great job on this either but they did at least release the UI demo video and the did their bit on stage to show people how all this new stuff is going to help make gaming better, and it gets you excited about actually owning the box. There's been none of that from MS outside of the initial reveal which didn't address anything about how the people that pre-order games consoles (ie gamers) will use the system.

You haven't seen the numerous tech demos of Kinect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH7Rmk4d2Bs

The UI demo at Gamescom?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123...rst-look-at-the-new-console-s-user-experience

"Twitch, I know it's on both platforms, but there's a camera requirement to it, so I don't know what you do with a console that doesn't have a camera," he said, "when you think about what we're doing in terms of letting you capture

If i wanted someone to film me when i'm streaming ill just hire the Sony Gamescom camera monkey.

Chobel

It was a good interview overall, except when he said
"Twitch, I know it's on both platforms, but there's a camera requirement to it, so I don't know what you do with a console that doesn't have a camera,"

Camera requirement? Now this is straight up bullshit.

monome

I'm so convinced, that even tho I won't buy a PS4, I currently have a second wave COD-packed in console ordered on amazon.

no retail/deposit pre-order for you.

FIFA no care
Day 1 graffiti on controller -> WTF

and if amazon had not put my "regular" pack in pre-order limbo and offer the COD one for the same price...

"and a commitment from us that great games will continue to come."

How do I know the exclusives aren't going to dry up in the end few years of the consoles life like the 360?
It's still too much of a risk.

This. The 360 first party support has been shameful in recent years.

Their "all in one" proposition is the exact reason I ultimately decided to not buy the console this fall. I just can't justify giving them an extra $100 so they can put a camera I don't want in the box. No thanks.

And that's not even taking into account the weaker performance for gaming, which is ultimately the biggest reason I buy a GAMING console.

Averon

So eerie how MS is sounding exactly like Sony did back in 2006. It's like MS saw everything Sony did back then and is now using it as some guide.

Celegus

But what about the "gamers" that just want to play games? Even if it was there, I'd never use Skype or Twitch or TV crap or whatever. It just needs to play games, that's it!

ZehDon

Gold Member
I agree with a lot of the posters here; the "all in one" position is exactly why I don't want to buy the console. I might be a bit different; being an Australian without the funds to grab Xbox Live at launch, virtually all of the console's major features simply will not work. No TV overlay, no voice commands, no streaming, no multi-media; the console would do nothing more than play games for me... because it's trying to be an "all in one" device.

Meanwhile, the Playstation 4 streams all of my multimedia and plays games, and because it's cheaper I can afford a year's subscription to Sony's online service. After all of that, it becomes my all in one device... by just being a games machine. I can't think of a single person I know who's not buying a PS4 this generation and skipping the Xbone entirely. And those same people all own Xbox 360s.

I'm so very interested in the situation six months post launch.

Dunlop

But what about the "gamers" that just want to play games? Even if it was there, I'd never use Skype or Twitch or TV crap or whatever. It just needs to play games, that's it!

It will still do that, but if you have no interest in Kinect and MS first party then the PS4 is the obvious choice. They will both have the same third party titles

Ebomb

Banned
Im sold. Living room Skype on the TV is a selling feature for me. As is the kinect integrated UI and TV controls. Should get interesting once both these boxes are in homes and the experiences become more differentiated.

Ebomb

Banned
So eerie how MS is sounding exactly like Sony did back in 2006. It's like MS saw everything Sony did back then and is now using it as some guide.

Living room entertainment has evolved quite a bit since 2006. I hope it continues to evolve.

Naked Lunch

Of course these comments are going to be laughed at and scorned on a gaming forum. In the real - most people ive talked to are interested in what the systems do in addition to playing games - its a much bigger issue than most here give credit for.

TRios Zen

The messaging "campaign" for the Xbox One to date has been a catastrophe and the MS Xbox One marketing group could now write the textbook on how to fuck up your brand.

That being said, I don't think that the Xbox One DESIGN is a failure. They've just had to ID every feature of the box as a reactionary statement to some bad press, and the CORE gaming set have taken them to task for that.

The questions that Microsoft needs to answer for the gaming public are:
A) What does your box do better than you closest competitor? and
B) are the game experiences going to be very similar between the two?

The Xbox One was designed to do more than the PS4 was. The cost of that has been that the PS4 is a stronger powered machine for games. IF Xbox can't show relative parity in games AND show why the "more" they want to do matters, they are screwed.

Applecot

What if wherever I go is not the living room?

Beat me to it xD

"Twitch, I know it's on both platforms, but there's a camera requirement to it, so I don't know what you do with a console that doesn't have a camera," he said, "when you think about what we're doing in terms of letting you capture."

Is he implying that we have to face the camera at the screen for 'screen capture'?

SMZC

"Twitch, I know it's on both platforms, but there's a camera requirement to it, so I don't know what you do with a console that doesn't have a camera," he said, "when you think about what we're doing in terms of letting you capture."

If people want the camera so desperately in order to stream their shit, they will get it for the $399 system. And it would still be cheaper than getting the Xbox One.

Nice try, Phil.

Sure sure Phil, and the WiiU is doing just fine right?

My guess is Microsoft will never admit they made a huge mistake. It took Sony 6-7 years to admit they fucked up. My guess is Nintendo and Microsoft never admit it. They will feed you PR bullshit until he day they die.

Enjay

Banned

Streaming with the kinect aimed at the monitor? EDIT: Should've continued reading. Nvm.

Top Bottom