• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value"

Protome

What extra things does Xbox One provide that PS4 does not. Both have Netflix, with XBox One you still need cable to use TV features, the only value I see is if you care to play Kinect games like Kinect Sports.

You can talk over your TV show to turn the volume of your tv up, so you can hear the show on Xbox One.
..yeah.

lantus

Yep. That and how overboard they've gone with worshipping their new controller I can help but feel this huge disconnect. It's frighteningly similar to PS3 Sony.

To be fair, Sony has done their fair share of that when it come to the DualShock 4 as well. I get you though, Microsoft is on the defensive right now on all sides, trying to cover all of their bases. Sony did the same thing when the PS3 was coming out, granted they were in a much better position to gloat.

God, you're all a bunch of stupid children, genuinely convinced that any of this is real, taking sides in your petty little playground wars. It's so incredibly sad.

I can't wait for my ban. These console launches have made this place unbearable.

Why not just avoid said threads instead of wanting to be banned? Or do you lack the self control or something?

RayMaker

Banned
What extra things does Xbox One provide that PS4 does not. Both have Netflix, with XBox One you still need cable to use TV features, the only value I see is if you care to play Kinect games like Kinect Sports.

These are the things the PS4 dont have

• A faster more seamless OS + online (though this is not confirmed,with sony still playing catch up + MS being a software/networking company + the X1's focus on multiple OS's with instant switching, it is very likely)

These are the bullets points that the console must have

• competitive game quality
  • premium gaming
  • exclusives
  • The best 3rd party content

Microsoft has a design-by-committee console (obviously created in an insular development environment) that they couldn't commit to anything on until late in the game. These kinds of screw ups, mixed PR messaging, and overall arrogance are pretty much guaranteed. Sony was doing the same thing in 2006.

Maybe this is the biggest issue. While Crazy ken was off his rocker, he had a central idea of what a console should be, likewise with cerny.

The Xbox one from its inception seems to be built based on focus testing, statisics and general data. These are all fine and necessary but the emotional connection to a product or way of doing doesnt seem to be considered.

Now since the info is out in the wild, they are getting realtime feedback and making changes. But while the changes have been quick, perception hasnt and this is why Microsoft are falling back on double talk and dodgy PR.

Really strange stuff to be honest.

Yes but its a bit different now, the PS3 was a bit of a jack of all trade but master of none.

The X1 is proposing premium entertainment , experiences and functionality that is ahead of the competition or the competition does not have.

I'am talking about

A faster more seamless OS + online
competitive game quality
premium gaming
exclusives - Have you seen titanfall - this will decrown call of duty. When the causal Cod player seen an advert of titanfall and finds out the PS4 does not have it, he will be sold on the X1.

Is this a joke post? Sony doesn't have Skype? Doesn't have a faster OS? Doesn't have competitive game quality? (Whatever that's supposed to mean.) Doesn't have "premium gaming?" (Whatever that's supposed to mean.) Doesn't have exclusives? I think you might want to check what you're saying.

Sure there's Kinect and Titanfall, but the first is a yet uproven device, and the second is a current console exclusive; one of many on both sides. (We still don't know if it's just timed, though I'm sure MS could buy it in time if they were willing to pay enough.) These consoles aren't very different from each other and the notion that the Xbox One has somehow cornered the market in the areas you've listed is silly.

BigDug13

God, you're all a bunch of stupid children, genuinely convinced that any of this is real, taking sides in your petty little playground wars. It's so incredibly sad.

I can't wait for my ban. These console launches have made this place unbearable.

This sounds a little like a temper tantrum to me. Ironic based on the post's content.

Is this a joke post? Sony doesn't have Skype? Doesn't have a faster OS? Doesn't have competitive game quality? (Whatever that's supposed to mean.) Doesn't have "premium gaming?" (Whatever that's supposed to mean.) Doesn't have exclusives? I think you might want to check what you're saying.

Sure there's Kinect and Titanfall, but the first is a yet uproven device, and the second is a current console exclusive; one of many on both sides. (We still don't know if it's just timed, though I'm sure MS could buy it in time if they were willing to pay enough.) These consoles aren't very different from each other and the notion that the Xbox One has somehow cornered the market in the areas you've listed is silly.

It's premium and faster because MS said so :/

Finalizer

Dat salt + irony combo.

You're not wrong, but $500/600 was still really steep for a video game system. Fortunately they got the price down relatively quickly.

I think my point (which I clearly bumbled around :p) is that you could make a better "value" case with PS3 relative to 2006 than you can with the X1 relative to 2013.

I'm just getting sick of this "value" line from MS when I'm simply having a hard time seeing what this value is for me. It's a more expensive option across the board compared to its competitor. Its hardware is more expensive and apparently inferior on a technical level. Its paywall cost is comparable to PS+ (about $5 a month), but simple apps like Netflix and internet browsing are behind it. It's not backwards compatible, nor have they announced any kind of future solution for that (unlike Sony, who at least has some kind of plan with Gaikai). MS has a poor record of consistent 1st party game support; especially the final 2.5 years of the 360.

What exactly is the value of me choosing their product over Sony's- and at a higher price- at this point? At least with the PS3 in 2006 I could check off a few benefits here and there, despite the higher entry point.

edit: corrected myself on XBL Gold cost

Xbox has the dudebros... But can they get the casuals? It's all dependent on marketing and the quality of Kinect.

We'll see. Impossible to predict.

Nevasleep

With Xbone Live TV, why would I want to pay the electricity bill for having two boxes turned on, when I only need one.

Over delivering value, except on your electric bill.

"Price is important," Microsoft Studios boss Phil Spencer told Eurogamer.

PS and Xbox are perceived as close substitutes in US/UK, but Sony's console is significantly cheaper...you know what happens next.

Kinect is the new Blu-ray, at least temporarily.

BigDug13

Xbox has the dudebros... But can they get the casuals? It's all dependent on marketing and the quality of Kinect.

We'll see. Impossible to predict.

If you're talking about the over 100 million casuals that bought a Wii, those gamers have moved on to tablets and phones. If you're talking about the 150 million people who bought PS3's and 360's, Kinect isn't the seller for most of those gamers.

LAMBO

They never seem to be able to tell you what’s so great, or show us with videos of the UI and all it can do. I know it does skype, I know it does something great with live TV that they can’t seem to explain (pretty sure what it does is show you interactive ads), it plays xb1 games, it has a camera, and runs all common free apps we have today (Netflix, etc.). Where’s the revolution? Is it Kinect? If it is Kinect shouldn’t they have a Flagship exclusive first party Kinect title ready to blow people away at launch?

Do people really think that the camera adds $100 to the manufacturing cost of the xbox? Maybe it does but I don’t think a kinectless xbox would be a whole $100 less, but I don’t know much about this matter.

BigDug13

They never seem to be able to tell you what’s so great, or show us with videos of the UI and all it can do. I know it does skype, I know it does something great with live TV that they can’t seem to explain (pretty sure what it does is show you interactive ads), it plays xb1 games, it has a camera, and runs all common free apps we have today (Netflix, etc.). Where’s the revolution? Is it Kinect? If it is Kinect shouldn’t they have a Flagship exclusive first party Kinect title ready to blow people away at launch?

Do people really think that the camera adds $100 to the manufacturing cost of the xbox? Maybe it does but I don’t think a kinectless xbox would be a whole $100 less, but I don’t know much about this matter.

I actually think a kinectless XBO could be greater than $100 less. That camera and chipset is no joke.

Finalizer

I actually think a kinectless XBO could be greater than $100 less. That camera and chipset is no joke.

I dunno... My gut reaction says "Well it's weaker than the PS4, so MS should be able to undercut that price and shoot for $300-$350." But then it's been said that the Xbone's chip is pretty massive thanks to that ESRAM, and combined with yield issues, it might end up actually being more expensive for them to manufacture? 'Course, then there's the DDR3 vs GDDR5 cost...

Guess my point is, it might not be so clear-cut as it might look at first glance.

RayMaker

Banned
What do these even mean?

arnold_not_sure_if_serious_gif.gif

By all means, I would love for them to bring out such a system. Would make the value proposition of their system much more palatable. (Something at $350 would sell gangbusters too.) If gaming is truly their focus, I think it would be the best move for MS.

Several have pointed out that attaching these adjectives to "gaming" and claiming the Xbox One has this cornered doesn't make sense. If you've made up definitions for "competitive game quality" and "premium gaming," please, enlighten us.

Sure it is - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/xb...stralia-at-launch-requires-a-separate-device/

Xbox Live TV will only work in America at launch. No word yet on support in other countries.

Over-delivering value again.
HDMI in can be used for more than TV.
Also, you can still plug your TV in, you just won't have the Xbox Guide at launch, have to use your existing remote.

Snapping applications.
Kinect, and the fact it's packed in.
HDMI in.
IR blaster.

Those are a few features exclusive to the Xbone that make it a viable entertainment center.

It also helps that it doesn't really have any competition.
I think it's actually the only controller free entertainment setup you could find at the moment.
The new Samsung Smart TV has a microphone on the controller for voice commands and has a variety of entertainment apps, but it costs way more than buying an Xbone and an equally sized HD TV.

Tobor

"What we're seeing in the pre-order numbers is the overall value of what they get in Xbox One," he told Eurogamer. "I feel really good about how things are trending."

Excellent. Their preorder numbers are still way behind.

Tom Penny

People are overestimating the $100 price difference. If people want something they will pay. That is a small advantage PS4 has in the scheme of things.

Remember when Sony used to make these types of statements with the ps3?

MS, if you want to compete with the ps4, you have to drop the price to 399. Otherwise your console will get obliterated. Especially in the US.

BigDug13

God MS would be very foolish to do this, We shall see if it happens.

Part of the stipulation for the Skype buyout was that MS could not restrict what platforms they can be on. Vita already has Skype. They have to do it if Sony is willing to pay whatever licensing and application fees.

werks

Banned
HDMI in can be used for more than TV.
Also, you can still plug your TV in, you just won't have the Xbox Guide at launch, have to use your existing remote.

Snapping applications.
Kinect, and the fact it's packed in.
HDMI in.
IR blaster.

Those are a few features exclusive to the Xbone that make it a viable entertainment center.
Lol. The fact that entertainment apps aren't locked behind a paywall makes the ps4 a viable entertainment center

If you're talking about the over 100 million casuals that bought a Wii, those gamers have moved on to tablets and phones. If you're talking about the 150 million people who bought PS3's and 360's, Kinect isn't the seller for most of those gamers.

These guys didn't just put a boycott on Wii overnight. The limitations that Wii had--lack of third party support, under-performing hardware--these are things that Kinect 2/XBO is seeking to fix if not erase.

One thing about people is that they are always looking out for the next best thing. That's why Kinect sold well. It's why Wii sold well. People put out blanket statements that suggest that the market is washed up and they are onto tablets and phones forever but it simply isn't true. If Kinect is a compelling enough product and has the marketing behind it, then it's going to sell.

And this product is not for me and it's not for most of GAF, but that has zero impact on the sales reality or future marketing trends of these consoles post launch.

RayMaker

Banned
By all means, I would love for them to bring out such a system. Would make the value proposition of their system much more palatable. (Something at $350 would sell gangbusters too.) If gaming is truly their focus, I think it would be the best move for MS.

Several have pointed out that attaching these adjectives to "gaming" and claiming the Xbox One has this cornered doesn't make sense. If you've made up definitions for "competitive game quality" and "premium gaming," please, enlighten us.

competitive game quality = What I mean is that X1 3rd party games will be a viable option for gamers because they are not hampered in a major way.

premium gaming = The X1 will play games of a superior level compared to the standard the vast majority plays them at.

-------------------------
EDIT

If you look at my original post I said these things were bullit point that a console has to have, not that the PS4 dont have em

look

These are the things the PS4 dont have

• A faster more seamless OS + online (though this is not confirmed,with sony still playing catch up + MS being a software/networking company + the X1's focus on multiple OS's with instant switching, it is very likely)

These are the bullets points that the console must have

• competitive game quality
  • premium gaming
  • exclusives
  • The best 3rd party content

People are overestimating the $100 price difference. If people want something they will pay. That is a small advantage PS4 has in the scheme of things.
I agree... IF they want it bad enough to offset the price difference and everything else. I'm not convinced that'll be the case for a majority of gamers.

Vorg

Banned
Remember when Sony used to make these types of statements with the ps3?

MS, if you want to compete with the ps4, you have to drop the price to 399. Otherwise your console will get obliterated. Especially in the US.

Uh, no. Especially everywhere else.

Finalizer

God MS would be very foolish to do this, We shall see if it happens.

Considering that Skype is already available on just about every device under the sun, even from hardware manufacturers directly competing with MS in other fronts, it's clear MS' goals with Skype lie well outside of leveraging it for console warz.

competitive game quality = What I mean is that X1 3rd party games will be a viable option for gamers because they are not hampered in a major way.

premium gaming = The X1 will play games of a superior level compared to the standard the vast majority plays them at.

Compared to what the PS3 and 360?
What do you mean 3rd party games are a viable option cause gamers aren't hampered. Not hampered by what?

Well I was talking about the PS4, Why even mention the vita?

It establishes a precedent. You do know what a precedent is right?

Racer1977

I just don't understand how MS can still be getting their messaging so, so wrong. How in the world do they think they can justify a $100 price difference with features like Skype, they appear completely out if touch with what gamers want.

Even thier 'all-in-one-box' focus is misguided, given the PS4 has the services people are really interested, i.e Netflix and BBC iplayer. Even the TV focus is misjudged, requiring a cable box to be hooked up, rather than going down the streaming route.

I get what he is possibly saying. For people who have been 360 owners and all of their friends are going to the Xbox One as well, it is not reason enough to jump ship.
Isn't the problem that 360 owners have no incentive to move to Xbox One? Nothing carries over. My group of friends all played on 360 because it ran multiplats better and was cheaper at the beginning of the generation.

Now all my friends are buying PS4s, it just makes sense as a gamer; it's the cheapest option and will run multiplats better.

-------------------------
EDIT

If you look at my original post I said these things were bullit point that a console has to have, not that the PS4 dont have em

look

Your original post was this:

The X1 is proposing premium entertainment , experiences and functionality that is ahead of the competition or the competition does not have.

So considering the PS4 has these (which the terming is still a little... awkward)... at what point does your terms "premium gaming" and "competitive game quality" exist on the XBone better than PS4?

I just don't understand how MS can still be getting their messaging so, so wrong. How in the world do they think they can justify a $100 price difference with features like Skype, they appear completely out if touch with what gamers want.

Even thier 'all-in-one-box' focus is misguided, given the PS4 has the services people are really interested, i.e Netflix and BBC iplayer. Even the TV focus is misjudged, requiring a cable box to be hooked up, rather than going down the streaming route.

Don't be willfully obtuse. The pricing difference is clearly because of Kinect. I don't have a use for it but it seems to be of a decent value and fairly priced.

Top Bottom