• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value"

RayMaker

Banned
Considering that Skype is already available on just about every device under the sun, even from hardware manufacturers directly competing with MS in other fronts, it's clear MS' goals with Skype lie well outside of leveraging it for console warz.

maybe, I dont know, like I said, we shall see.

rothbart

A faster more seamless OS + online (though this is not confirmed,with sony still playing catch up + MS being a software/networking company + the X1's focus on multiple OS's with instant switching, it is very likely)

Oh, so we can just count shit we don't really know is true as a bullet point on a "why" list?

MS's PR over-delivering on value just like their console

Why can't they just be quiet unless it's positive news?

Honestly the fact that they gave this interview, said these things just tells me that MS is worried what the market thinks and wants to try and change it

Sony has no need to do that

competitive game quality = What I mean is that X1 3rd party games will be a viable option for gamers because they are not hampered in a major way.

premium gaming = The X1 will play games of a superior level compared to the standard the vast majority plays them at.

-------------------------
EDIT

If you look at my original post I said these things were bullit point that a console has to have, not that the PS4 dont have em

look

But so will PS4 so how is it an advantage for X1 over its competition, namely the PS4?

Protome

Oh, so we can just count shit we don't really know is true as a bullet point on a "why" list?

Yep.

Pros: PS4 cures Cancer

Cons: Xbox One gives cancer.

I mean, I don't have any evidence supporting this statement, but it might happen so we should start treating it as fact.

RayMaker

Banned
Your original post was this:

So considering the PS4 has these (which the terming is still a little... awkward)... at what point does your terms "premium gaming" and "competitive game quality" exist on the XBone better than PS4?

I dont think the X1 has better "premium gaming" and "competitive game quality", as I clarified on my next post.

Magwik

Banned
I don't think that many people actually care about Skying on their tv when you can already get Skype on everything.

MS's PR over-delivering on value just like their console

Why can't they just be quiet unless it's positive news?

Honestly the fact that they gave this interview, said these things just tells me that MS is worried what the market thinks and wants to try and change it

Sony has no need to do that

So there should be no marketing for X1? Because people are still upset at DRM, that they got reversed.

Marleyman

Banned
Isn't the problem that 360 owners have no incentive to move to Xbox One? Nothing carries over. My group of friends all played on 360 because it ran multiplats better and was cheaper at the beginning of the generation.

Now all my friends are buying PS4s, it just makes sense as a gamer; it's the cheapest option and will run multiplats better.

Those post is full of wrong. Everything carries over; what are saying that doesn't carry over? We don't know what will run multiplats better.

Dunlop

So there should be no marketing for X1? Because people are still upset at DRM, that they got reversed.

pretty much

I still have yet to receive a single e-mail from Sony (PS+ member ) even mentioning that there is a PS4

Quick search on my gmail for "xbox one" (no longer a live subscriber) 18 e-mails

They have the buzz which is great but how hard would it be to task a single employee to send shit out to their subscribers?

Marleyman

Banned
Yep.

Pros: PS4 cures Cancer

Cons: Xbox One gives cancer.

I mean, I don't have any evidence supporting this statement, but it might happen so we should start treating it as fact.

So many are posting things without even checking if they are true. At least research before you post.

Hmm but I don't really considering this marketing do you?

This isn't really meant for consumers is it?

The only people who would read things like this are the core, market analysts and other journos

I can't believe anyone in PR would think something like this would convince the core as it is now so I have to believe it's meant to make analysts feel better

That's just my take on it obviously and I'm not right that often

I'm perfectly fine with the X1 marketing push that is going to happen (or is it happening right now?)

All the commercials and such

I just don't think this is really marketing as such

Edit: I should clarify that I also meant new news when I said positive news in previous post

This doesn't really give me further information on the X1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
These are the things the PS4 dont have

• A faster more seamless OS + online (though this is not confirmed,with sony still playing catch up + MS being a software/networking company + the X1's focus on multiple OS's with instant switching, it is very likely)

These are the bullets points that the console must have

• competitive game quality
  • premium gaming
  • exclusives
  • The best 3rd party content

the only time we've seen the xbox OS in action it was slow and stuttery. Whereas Sony has shown the PS4 OS a couple of times and it seemed smooth and fast

of course MS will optimise their OS, but to declare it objectively better than PS4 is laughable

Those post is full of wrong. Everything carries over; what are saying that doesn't carry over? We don't know what will run multiplats better.
Maybe he's talking about the games not having backwards compatibility, there's nothing holding people into any platform moving forward.

Lol. The fact that entertainment apps aren't locked behind a paywall makes the ps4 a viable entertainment center
Sure, that is one benefit of the PSN for consumers.
On the flip side, Microsoft is able to use that money to make their app ecosystem much more expansive than PSN's.
It's all about what you value as a customer.

Isn't the problem that 360 owners have no incentive to move to Xbox One? Nothing carries over. My group of friends all played on 360 because it ran multiplats better and was cheaper at the beginning of the generation.

Now all my friends are buying PS4s, it just makes sense as a gamer; it's the cheapest option and will run multiplats better.
My group of friends all played on 360 because of Halo + Gears. They are buying the Xbone for Halo + TitanFall.
It's different for everyone.

If I buy the xbox 360 version of CoD Ghosts can I get the PS4 verison with the upgrade?
I believe it has to be for the same console family.

Marleyman

Banned
Maybe he's talking about the games not having backwards compatibility, there's nothing holding people into any platform moving forward.

He can't be; neither is supporting that. I disagree completely that there is nothing holding people to any platform. Look at some of the posts around here. I can only speak for myself but since the same group of friends I have played with for 7 years are moving over to the One and I want to keep my Gamerscore, enjoy the OS, apps and launch titles that is incentive enough for me to stay w/ MS. There are plenty who are doing the same for probably similar reasons with the PS4.

How don't all these suits do a bit of research before they open their mouths? Or do they enjoy looking ridiculous? The Twitch comment is absurd. And citing Skype as a must have console feature is just as insane.

/Sigh

pretty much

I still have yet to receive a single e-mail from Sony (PS+ member ) even mentioning that there is a PS4

Quick search on my gmail for "xbox one" (no longer a live subscriber) 18 e-mails

They have the buzz which is great but how hard would it be to task a single employee to send shit out to their subscribers?
You must not be subscribed because I get an email from them weekly.

He can't be; neither is supporting that.
I know, so the last console people had is going to mean less this time around without the plus of being able to play all you old games on the next system, and it's mostly going to be judging the value of the next gen system themselves.

Nothing carries over that matters; games and digital content don't carry over. Neither console has backwards compatibility, no reason to stick with one console over the other. It makes sense just to pick the best deal.

Multiplats will obviously run better on the more powerful system given that the architectures are so similar; no idea why you'd dispute that.

My group of friends all played on 360 because of Halo + Gears. They are buying the Xbone for Halo + TitanFall.
It's different for everyone.
If those are the only games that interest your group of friends then I can understand that.

Marleyman

Banned
I know, so the last console people had is going to mean less this time around without the plus of being able to play all you old games on the next system, and it's mostly going to be judging the value of the next gen system themselves.

Check my edit. I think playing old games was always overrated, but that is just me.

Check my edit. I think playing old games was always overrated, but that is just me.

Not during a transition period where many would gladly use their old consoles to trade up for new consoles but in this gen transition with both consoles that's not a viable option

Personally I think BC would've been a powerful advantage to either console for the first year

Less so after that

Racer1977

I see people overpay for products I personally wouldn't buy all the time. This is nothing new. If Xbone has a strong 2014 lineup and PS4 doesn't it will quickly gain ground.
All indications are the PS4 has far more to reveal in the coming 12-18 months, reality is they've shown very little of their hand from a software perspective.

ND, SSM, PD, QD, MM, GG etc., are all known quantities with great track records, they all have AAA first party games in development, this is before we even consider what's coming from Japan. Or for that matter, the impact of the indie community, who are now taking the ground once occupied by the bread and butter £30-£40 titles.

I saw plenty from MS at E3, but release time frames are up in the air, given so much was in the form of teasers. Neither am I convinced MS have a full schedule of first party games beyond the Halo, Forza, Gears and Fable staples.

Xbox never has been about 1st party to the extent of Playstation. The goals have been to have the experience better on Xbox.

For seven years, it has been kinda better on Xbox 360. Remains to be seen if that can be done over the next seven...

Marleyman

Banned
Nothing carries over that matters;

This gen proved that a shit ton of people care about what they have built up over the life of a system. Just because you might not care, plenty will.

Wickerbasket said:
It makes sense just to pick the best deal.

Plenty of other factors other than price...plenty.

Wickerbasket said:
Multiplats will obviously run better on the more powerful system given that the architectures are so similar; no idea why you'd dispute that.

I am disputing it because we haven't seen it yet.

SegaShack

Not during a transition period where many would gladly use their old consoles to trade up for new consoles but in this gen transition with both consoles that's not a viable option

Personally I think BC would've been a powerful advantage to either console for the first year

Less so after that

I think Backwards Compatibility is a big deal, especially considering that come November PS3 will have been around 7 years and Xbox will have been around 8 years. That is almost a decade's worth of video games.

Also space is a big issue for me, my HDTV will have a PC, PS3, 360, and XB1 hooked into it soon. Taking away one of those boxes (and being able to sell it for money towards the next console) would be a nice value for consumers.

It's too bad that 2/3 consoles this generation are not BC, I would have loved to get rid of my really loud OG Xbox 360.

Ushae

Banned
Sony buyers: 'Sorry Phil your full of shit'

MS buyers: 'Its great that they included the sensor, the features are great'

Every Xbox thread I see :(

Xbox never has been about 1st party to the extent of Playstation. The goals have been to have the experience better on Xbox.

For seven years, it has been kinda better on Xbox 360. Remains to be seen if that can be done over the next seven...

Personally while I much prefer PS and have obvious bias that way

It wouldn't suprise me if one of the X1's Dash incarnations was the best UI for next-gen consoles but there's just too many negatives on xbox's for me to enjoy that experience

I could list them and argue etc. but that's not helpful

Suffice it to say I will get an X1 in a year or two as I have yet been able to turn down a Halo

That being said it'll likely be a used X1 as I'm still a little annoyed by MS, immature I know

After seeing the Recording and Uploading stuff, I am glad they bundle the camera. Kinda cool to do that picture in picture stuff straight out of the box. Plus the edit options look really easy to use. I am sure it will lead to plenty of people using the features to upload their Battlefield Moments or KI Ultra's etc.

Since some gamers don't have the kit for recoding footage of their favorite console, it is cool to see this option. Then being able to narrate over it as well.

You can do all of that editing and uploading on PS4 as well, straight out of the box. And if you want to add your mug to the recording, you can buy the camera and still spend less than you would on an Xbone.

I like achievements, but everything has them now.

I know literally zero people who're making their next gen system choice based on their current gen account achievements.
Hell if I could reset my count and then turn off notifications for trophies all together on the PS4 I would.
I am referring to achievements, gamerscores carrying over.
Yes but how does that prove that tons of people care about the count that they built up, and that count influencing any purchasing decisions to a ton of people? If we are talking anecdotal the people I know don't give a shit.

Marleyman

Banned

I know literally zero people who're making their next gen system choice based on their current gen account achievements.

It isn't a sole factor at all, but with the people I know they are going with what is familiar to them. Some have had a PS3 and didn't like the online at all and are a bit spoiled by what MS offered in terms of chat options, etc.

Finalizer

My comment was fully sarcastic. I'm sure there's some whackos out there who will decide their purchase based on achievements, but they'll be a minority of a minority. Thanks to the lack of backwards compatibility, investments into PS360 systems wont have much influence into next-gen console decisions for the majority of the consumer base.

Raide

You can do all of that editing and uploading on PS4 as well, straight out of the box. And if you want to add your mug to the recording, you can buy the camera and still spend less than you would on an Xbone.

I have not seen any of the footage to show the edit and upload stuff, so I have no idea how it actually works but cool if it can do it as well.

As it stands, the Xbox One has more games that I am interested in and I don't mind spending money on new tech. Still have my Dreamcast, so I am use to burning money on tech that may or may not work. :p

Dunlop

You must not be subscribed because I get an email from them weekly.

what do I have to subscribe to? I am a PS+ member and have been on PSN for years

The last e-mail side from my PS+ receipts was "If you had a PlayStation Network account, a Qriocity account, or a Sony Online Entertainment account at any time before May 15, 2011, you could get benefits from a class action settlement......" back in april

Is it a Canada thing?

Top Bottom