• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer - "Xbox One's all-in-one proposition will convince gamers of its value"

My comment was fully sarcastic. I'm sure there's some whackos out there who will decide their purchase based on achievements, but they'll be a minority of a minority. Thanks to the lack of backwards compatibility, I don't see investments into PS360 systems having much influence into next-gen console decisions for the majority of the consumer base.
I know dude, your sarcasm was clear. I pretty much agree with you, they won't factor into a purchase decision.

It isn't a sole factor at all, but with the people I know they are going with what is familiar to them. Some have had a PS3 and didn't like the online at all and are a bit spoiled by what MS offered in terms of chat options, etc.
Fair enough, but most people just buy whatever is the cheapest or runs games best.

If it is a clear difference it will sway some people, for sure. How big of a difference does this director say it is?

He didn't get that specific, but he said "one of the consoles is more powerful", and said their game would run/look better on that console. He wouldn't say which console was more powerful.

It's rare for a developer to even be that honest, because they never want to look like they're saying "if you buy the XB1 version of our game that sucks for you. lol". They're always going to talk a big game of parity, until the game actually comes out and you see that's not actually true. They did this with the PS3/360 all the time, saying the PS3 version would be the same etc, even though it was often not true.

Marleyman

Banned
He didn't get that specific, but he said "one of the consoles is more powerful", and said their game would run/look better on that console. He wouldn't say which console was more powerful.

It's rare for a developer to even be that honest, because they never want to look like they're saying "if you buy the XB1 version of our game that sucks for you. lol". They're always going to talk a big game of parity, until the game actually comes out and you see that's not actually true. They did this with the PS3/360 all the time, saying the PS3 version would be the same etc, even though it was often not true.

Thanks. I know it is rare for them to say that, probably a bad idea business wise to proclaim such a thing. Guess we will wait for the epic DF threads; as long as there isn't a huge difference I don't think the average consumer will give a shit.

What makes you say this so confidently? It is mind boggling.
You're really asking me why the majority of consumers choose the cheaper option when it runs games better?

Is this a trick question?

It's the lowest price entry to play next gen games such as CoD, FIFA and Madden.

Marleyman

Banned
Because only some hardcore gamers care about gamerscore. That's a niche of a niche. I have plenty of friends who own consoles but don't even give a second thought to achievements/trophies.

What he said is "most people buy the cheapest console or whatever runs the game best." I think that is discounting plenty of other factors that have nothing to do w/ achievements/gamerscore.

Marleyman

Banned
You're really asking me why the majority of consumers choose the cheaper option when it runs games better?

Is this a trick question?

It's the lowest price entry to play next gen games such as the above.

It isn't a trick question; you are simplying the buying decision and leaving out things such as brand loyalty...trust me, it is definitely out there. Some want to keep things the same..familiarity is a big draw as well.

Ushae

Banned
the only time we've seen the xbox OS in action it was slow and stuttery. Whereas Sony has shown the PS4 OS a couple of times and it seemed smooth and fast

of course MS will optimise their OS, but to declare it objectively better than PS4 is laughable

MS showed glimpses of their OS months ago, a lot of work gets done in that time. The OS is one of the key areas I have full confidence MS can deliver. Sony are playing catchup in this area, though that being said the new look is pretty good.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I am referring to achievements, gamerscores carrying over.
But this gen hasn't actually proven that yet, because we need to see an actual generational transition to see how much the carry over of those things matters to people. And it could just amount to people sticking to what they have rather than upgrading, so they may not technically factor in at all.

I couldn't care less, personally. It's not a deciding factor in my purchase, at all. I'm sure others may value it more but there's little indication that this is a significant factor for the majority of customers.

As much as we've seen brand loyalty not matter in past generations I can't believe it's being brought up. Probably using anecdotal evidence as well.

beast786

It isn't a trick question; you are simplying the buying decision and leaving out things such as brand loyalty...trust me, it is definitely out there. Some want to keep things the same..familiarity is a big draw as well.

seeing PS3 launch and WiiU. Shows it is not such a big factor. Price is huge. Always has and always will be.

But, my xbox friends are still sticking with xbox so there is that. But people who had both are buying ps4 at launch first and waiting on xbox.

Bundy

Banned
Just like back in the PS2/PS3 days

Did you forget the PS3 launch? Where was brand loyalty then?

There will be hardcore buyers, just like their were at PS3 launch, but the majority of people will go with the cheaper system that runs multiplats better, which just so happened to be the 360 last generation.

This generation the positions have changed.

Marleyman

Banned
But this gen hasn't actually proven that yet, because we need to see an actual generational transition to see how much the carry over of those things matters to people.

I couldn't care less, personally. It's not a deciding factor in my purchase, at all. I'm sure others may value it more but there's little indication that this is a significant factor for the majority of customers.

You are right; we haven't seen it yet. I did mention that some people I know aren't jumping from 360 to PS4 because of familiarity. Be it gamerscore, the controller, Xbox Live..the price and potential multi plat difference isn't enough for them.

Tobor

Yes, this is why the PS3 will destroy the 360.

scoobs

Theres something to be said for a device that can do many things well. But I also question whether its teh right strategy for a games console. Focus on what you do well, then branch out into other areas.

gogosox8

lol there's no face cam requirement for twitch. People live stream there all the time w/o a facecam. Granted, most of the daily streamers use a face cam, but if your trying to make a living out of live streaming, you'd probably get the proper equipment (ie not buy a xbone, buy a camera, good mic, something to record your streams like xsplit or obs, have a good pc, and have a decent connection)

Marcel

Did you forget the PS3 launch? Where was brand loyalty then?

There will be hardcore buyers, just like their were at PS3 launch, but the majority of people will go with the cheaper system that runs multiplats better, which just so happened to be the 360 last generation.

This generation the positions have changed.

Count me as among the many that bought a 360 after that disastrous Sony 2006 conference. (That being said, I went in on a PS3 a lot later after the kinks got worked out) Now after another embarrassing conference, mixed messaging, and a $100 Kinect tax, I'm likely going with PS4.

No brand loyalty. Just don't treat me like a fucking chump and it isn't hard to win my purchase.

No, alredy mentioned that is a different situation. This gen the systems are launching around the same time; no year to let one competitor go nuts.
It's the same situation, I know you wish it wasn't, but it is.

The price for MS is an issue, as is all the bad PR they've been spewing the past few months.

They weren't prepared to launch this early either; they're rushing to launch, as you can see by all the last minute backtracking and changes to launch plans.

Sony caught them with their pants down.

Tobor

I said previously that the price difference isn't going to be as big of a deal. If they didn't include Kinect and the price was $100 more than you would have something.

PS3 had bluray and Sony made the same argument about value for the extra money. The market will decide if the camera is worth $100.

"What we're seeing in the pre-order numbers is the overall value of what they get in Xbox One."

First, could someone diagram that sentence for me? I don't think it makes sense.

Second, if the pre-order numbers are that great, why not release them? We know you've got 'em. I think we'd all be interested to see how many people understand the overall value they get in Xbox One. Stop being coy, mister man, and tell us.

"People will make the right decision for their families. There's no doubt about that."

I sure did. I spent $100 less on a more powerful console by a company that has proven over three generations of consoles that they are ready, willing, and able to support their home consoles with amazing games from year one until far past its successor's release.

Meanwhile, Microsoft dropped the first Xbox like a hot rock, and once the second Xbox gained the ability to control your games like this:

2013_%2525207_22_17_40.gif

they focused on little else.

I said previously that the price difference isn't going to be as big of a deal. If they didn't include Kinect and the price was $100 more than you would have something.

PS3 had bluray and Sony made the same argument about value for the extra money. The market will decide if the camera is worth $100.
Tobor beat me to it, but man it is crazy how much this is mirroring 2006, the companies dececions and the arguments made for why this extra feature will make customer see "value" in paying a 100 dollar premium.

Racer1977

Don't be willfully obtuse. The pricing difference is clearly because of Kinect. I don't have a use for it but it seems to be of a decent value and fairly priced.
The price difference is largely down to Kinect, and MS's value justification is Skype, menu navigation etc. It's not only flawed technology, it's answering a question nobody asked in the first place.

Kinect has been out in the wild for some years now, if MS or third parties cannot launch with compelling titles, it's fair to say they probable won't arrive in the future, at least not in meaningful numbers.

I can see gesture controls playing a part in home entertainment products in the future, but it will be value added, consumers aren't going to pay a premium.

Speaking of value MS has yet to announce something that can compete with Instant Game Collection for Xbox One.

I think they are expecting their user base to be ignorant of that feature unfortunately. Then maybe when sales dry up they will react? Just the Kinect difference alone shows they have little interest in what their existing base has stock in.

Paches

Hah, Twitch caught them off guard and now they just have to resort to blatant lying in order to differentiate themselves from the competition after all the 180s.

I think they are expecting their user base to be ignorant of that feature unfortunately. Then maybe when sales dry up they will react? Just the Kinect difference alone shows they have little interest in what their existing base has stock in.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprise.

I was ignorant of PS+ until 6 months back, and now I wish I'd been subscribed since the beginning. If I'd known how much value you get for your money I would have subscribed much sooner.

Sony really need to market the shit out of it once they build a decent Instant Game Collection on PS4.

Speaking of value MS has yet to announce something that can compete with Instant Game Collection for Xbox One.

Well their attempt to outdo it on Xbox 360, wherein you get a couple free games* per month that you get to keep forever, is still going, so they may announce a similar program for Xbox One soon.

They need to, because sticking all the entertainment and web browsing apps behind the paywall and calling it "value" just isn't cutting it anymore.

*Available games may be subject to extreme age and/or sucking.

Here we go again, an executive propped out there to push home the talking points. However, the second he has to fall back on his personal knowledge of gaming in general, he lays a giant fucking egg.
One stupid comment after another. These people have no clue as to what is going on, outside of what prep the PR team puts them through.

Phil, STFU.

P.S. I see a lot of fine folks from the "reputation management" department posting on this thread

Spawnling

If I ever stream on the XB1, I don't want to stream my face. I want to stream the game and maybe my voice as most big live streams do now.

No, alredy mentioned that is a different situation. This gen the systems are launching around the same time; no year to let one competitor go nuts.

Personally while I think you're a little in denial about the fact of how much the $100 price difference with or without kinect matters

But as much as I hate to admit it I think brand loyalty might exist this time round simply due to xbox live

Online multiplayer this gen exploded and a lot of xboxs are used just for COD

Those types of buyers very well may have brand loyalty and are likely not that small a number

We'll see though I think that price bump might be enough to sway them

All a group of friends has to do is agree to buy the cheaper console and brand loyalty is out the window

Not sure if it will go that way though

And yes I fully realize what happened with the PS3, hell I bought one at launch and am one of the few who was happy with it and it's value proposition

Marcel

To be honest its hard being a fan of any console, you'll get flak for it one way or another.

Or you could, you know, not be a stooge for any big media company that sees you merely as a commodity. They're not your friends. No reason to be loyal or be a cheerleader.

RE_Player

Even if they get games I care about I can't in good conscious buy a device that locks services like Netflix, web browsing, streaming and Skype behind a pay wall. I have two 360s and they're bricks with no Gold sub and a bunch of the "exclusives" on PC. From the way things went this generation any big games for 360 I wanted came out on PC as well, Titanfall being a next gen example already.

Sticking with Wii U for Nintendo games and PS4 and PC for multiplatform seems like the best bet for me.

Top Bottom