• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo of F.S.U. Football Star Sitting With Boy Eating Alone at School Charms Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Photo of F.S.U. Football Star Sitting With Boy Eating Alone at School Charms Internet

01xp-autism-master768.jpg

Travis Rudolph, a star football player at Florida State University in Tallahassee, is no stranger to the spotlight. He is famous for his award-winning athleticism, catching high and running far as a wide receiver.

But it was Mr. Rudolph’s action off the football field that earned him national attention this week when, visiting a local school on a good-will visit with his teammates on Tuesday, he made a simple gesture.

He sat down at a lunch table.

In a moment captured on camera and shared widely on social media, Mr. Rudolph saw a boy sitting alone in the cafeteria at Montford Middle School.

“So I asked him could I sit down and have lunch with him,” Mr. Rudolph said in an interview with “Fox and Friends” on Thursday. “And he said, ‘Sure why not?’ ”

The boy introduced himself. His name was Bo Paske. He was a sixth grader.

“And the conversation went from there,” Mr. Rudolph said.

Although Mr. Rudolph, 21, did not know it at the time, Bo has autism and often eats lunch by himself, according to the boy’s mother, Leah Paske, who wrote about the moment and published the photograph on Facebook on Tuesday. Since then, the image of the football star eating pizza while seated opposite Bo has became an example of how a small act of kindness can go big.

Mr. Rudolph, Bo and Ms. Paske have since been inundated with requests for interviews with national media organizations, appearing on news programs and in newspapers. Ms. Paske’s post has been shared more than 13,000 times, and the photograph has been circulating on Twitter, including on the account of Autism Speaks, an advocacy and support organization, from where it was retweeted nearly 600 times.

“I did not even recognize that it will be this big,” Mr. Rudolph told the Fox show as Bo sat next to him and his mother sat on the other side of her son. “Everybody is the same, and one man can make a difference.”

The story also shed light on some of the challenges that face families coping with relatives who have autism spectrum disorder, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines as a group of developmental disabilities that can cause social, communication and behavioral challenges in about one in 68 children.

Ms. Paske said in her Facebook post that she was sometimes “grateful” that her son had the condition.

“That may sound like a terrible thing to say, but in some ways I think, I hope, it shields him,” she wrote. “He doesn’t seem to notice when people stare at him when he flaps his hands. He doesn’t seem to notice that he doesn’t get invited to birthday parties anymore. And he doesn’t seem to mind if he eats lunch alone.”

She said that she asks him questions about his school experience every day.

“ ‘Was there a time today you felt sad?’ ‘Who did you eat lunch with today?’ Sometimes the answer is a classmate, but most days it’s nobody. Those are the days I feel sad for him, but he doesn’t seem to mind. He is a super sweet child, who always has a smile and hug for everyone he meets.”

She said that a friend of hers was at the school on the day that Mr. Rudolph and his teammates visited.

“I am not sure what exactly made this incredibly kind man share a lunch table with my son, but I’m happy to say that it will not soon be forgotten,” Ms. Paske said on Facebook. “This is one day I didn’t have to worry if my sweet boy ate lunch alone, because he sat across from someone who is a hero in many eyes.”

jbug617

Banned
I read the mother's post. The part where she her son doesn't even notice that he isn't invited to other kid's birthdays anymore put me in tears.

Sometimes I'm grateful for his autism. That may sound like a terrible thing to say, but in some ways I think, I hope, it shields him. He doesn't seem to notice when people stare at him when he flaps his hands. He doesn't seem to notice that he doesn't get invited to birthday parties anymore. And he doesn't seem to mind if he eats lunch alone.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What a great thing he did. Kind acts, however big or small, doesn't cost you much. I'm glad Travis set a positive example for the world to see.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I read the mother's post. The part where she her son doesn't even notice that he isn't invited to other kid's birthdays anymore put me in tears.

As someone with Aspergers, we can be oblivious at times to the cruelty and meanness of others. I remember getting set up for a rather mean prank by some classmates and was happy just because people were laughing and paying attention to me. I didn't realize til i was older and more self aware of myself and my quirks just how fucked up that prank was.

RBH

Read this a few days ago and loved it.

Makes me think about all of the kids out there who sit alone at lunch on a regular basis.

Always remember that the most innocuous acts can have such a profound effect.

As someone with Aspergers, we can be oblivious at times to the cruelty and meanness of others. I remember getting set up for a rather mean prank by some classmates and was happy just because people were laughing and paying attention to me. I didn't realize til i was older and more self aware how fucked up that all was.

Yeah, living in rural towns for most of my life, the way kids on the spectrum were treated and abused through their inability to read social ques really, really sickened me.

Kids are awful sometimes.

FStop7

Banned
I feel like that picture kind of sums up the college experience vs. grade school experience.

Once you're out of grade school all of that clique pecking order stuff goes straight out of the window.

My 13 year old brother (high-functioning) is in the same boat, and so was I when I was younger. Hell, I didn't even really find out I was on the spectrum until I was in my early 20s (27 now), I just didn't really have friends.

Dude Abides

Banned
Then, in keeping with hallowed Florida State football tradition, Rudolph jumped on the table and screamed "FUCK HER RIGHT IN THE PUSSY!"

Good story. Although not being autistic, I know what it's like to sit alone eating lunch. I appreciated it though but sometimes a little company is good. It's sorta hard to request it though our knowing how to do it.

I've become en emotional roller coaster since I've had my daughter and this story almost had me crying at work. What an awesome dude.

marrec

Banned
😢😢😢

Oh no I can't cry at the dentist like this people are looking

😢😢😢

Oxn

I feel like that picture kind of sums up the college experience vs. grade school experience.

Once you're out of grade school all of that clique pecking order stuff goes straight out of the window.

Hmmm nah, its just in college, kids just grab their lunch and go. Who really has time to sit down for lunch? Much less having all your friends have the same timeslot open for lunch.

Brought me to tears honestly. I have a daughter who's on the spectrum (low functioning) so it's good to see people other than famil your interact with them even if it's a simple gesture like this.

I got constantly picked on in high school and marked as a weirdo cause I wasn't taking part in things most teenagers did back then. There were definitely 2-3 other people like that in my class as well, including an autistic kid who (in my opinion, it may be 100% wrong) luckily never got directly bullied but I feel he got laughed at and mocked quite a bit in fairness.

Maybe your childhood was different, or maybe you just went to a school where people were more considerate, but I think

Kenai

My younger sister's on the spectrum (high functioning) and has had it pretty rough throughout her life, but it showed the most at school (she's 23 now). That mom's quote hit home hard. Very feel good story, wish it weren't so rare.

FStop7

Banned
I got constantly picked on in high school and marked as a weirdo cause I wasn't taking part in things most teenagers did back then. There were definitely 2-3 other people like that in my class as well, including an autistic kid who (in my opinion, it may be 100% wrong) luckily never got directly bullied but I feel he got laughed at and mocked quite a bit in fairness.

Maybe your childhood was different, or maybe you just went to a school where people were more considerate, but I think

You're talking high school, though. High school is the worst point when it comes to clique garbage. I'm talking about college. Maybe Florida State is different than other universities. My own experience at FSU was such that I'm not at all surprised that Rudolph would choose to sit with a kid who was sitting alone.

blakep267

That's kinda messed up. Even when I was in elementary middle school we didn't let the autistic/ mentally challenged kids sit alone. I mean like we understood that wasn't cool

You know, stuff like this makes me wish that I wasn't such a jerk back in those years. I mean, I have a better understanding now about feelings and I wish I were a lot nicer to people.

Especially have first hand experience with a kid that has autism. Obviously, us as kids would just think they're just weird but now I know.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
😢😢😢

Oh no I can't cry at the dentist like this people are looking

😢😢😢

I always cry at the dentist because I'm a huge baby. I wish Tom Brady would come squeeze the tears out of me.

Ferr986

This is so cool from Travis

That's kinda messed up. Even when I was in elementary middle school we didn't let the autistic/ mentally challenged kids sit alone. I mean like we understood that wasn't cool

Sadly lots of kids don't understand what is and what isn't cool.

Gattsu25

Banned
That plus the image in the OP fill me with all kind of feelings. This story is both heartwarming and sad. It's powerful.

I was always apart of a big group at lunch but thinking about someone having to sit all alone at lunch everyday is getting me emotional right now. Thankfully, I can't ever remember seeing that in school, not that my stupid ass would've done anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom