• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Photo of F.S.U. Football Star Sitting With Boy Eating Alone at School Charms Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The NCAA will take a look at this picture and launch an investigation to find out who paid for that pizza that Rudolph is eating.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The NCAA will take a look at this picture and launch an investigation to find out who paid for that pizza that Rudolph is eating.

And if he digested correctly it per NCAA rules

on topic: awesome act of kindness. /sniff

FSU always in the news for eating something. Crab legs, people's faces, pizza with a kid. RT: Great act of kindness by amazing player.

I envy that kid's packed lunch set up. Insulated lunch bag, individual food containers, likely a snack pak in there somewhere.

I brown bagged my lunch in cheap plastic baggies my whole school career.

I envy that kid's packed lunch set up. Insulated lunch bag, individual food containers, likely a snack pak in there somewhere.

This guy is focused on the right things in the picture.

But I'll echo the thoughts of others here, real cool gesture; he sounds like an all around great guy.

deadlast

Photo of F.S.U. Football Star Sitting With Boy Eating Alone at School Charms Internet

01xp-autism-master768.jpg
As a parent with an autistic child, Travis is awesome for sitting with him.
As a parent with an autistic child, all of them kids are cunts. Did they have to sit so far away from him? Do they think they will catch the autism?

As a parent with a spectrum kid myself, entering elementary school this year, this makes me feel good - and sad.

The reality is that unless the parents of those OTHER kids don't encourage their children to sit with that boy or invite him to sit with their group at lunch, that kid will probably be sitting alone again.

As for the football player, I give him HUGE props for doing this. That kid probably felt so special and happy to have someone to sit with and chat with at lunch.

Breaks my heart that so many other kids shun a "different" kid.

I'm curious to see what happens after this - if the other kids warm up to him more or if they just stick to their own groups.

Savitar

A very touching story and definitely made me feel bad for the kid. Growing up can be hard enough and everyone deserves friends. No one wants to be alone, even those who say they do.

reKon

Banned
This is really great. This was upsetting to me as well. It got me thinking just now that if I was a kid, would I have decided go sit at the table and eat lunch with him at least once? Probably not. Too many kids are just followers and we need to do better to make them into leaders at an early age as well as show them what kindness means and explain why it's important to be inclusive of everyone who have different circumstances in their life.

kmfdmpig

As many others have said it is sad that an entire school can be small minded and mean like that, but great that Rudolph sat with the child. My daughter is 7 and I always focus on the need to be nice to everyone. If she was like the kids in this picture it would break my heart.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Reading this story, I couldn't help but think this kid's classmates are cunts. I mean, I should know that already, because the kids in my school were cunts too, but I had hoped that things had improved. My mom was the kind of person that always taught me and my sisters to be kind to everyone. You see a kid getting bullied, you stand up for him/her. You see a kid sitting alone at the lunch table, you go and sit down next to him and keep him company.

She always made sure to ask me how many kids were in my class when I was in grade school, so she would have enough Valentine's Day cards for everyone in the class, so, at the very least, you'd get a Valentine's Day card. Things like that.

This is a great story, I just wish more kids were taught to be compassionate and empathetic to others.

As a parent with an autistic child, Travis is awesome for sitting with him.
As a parent with an autistic child, all of them kids are cunts. Did they have to sit so far away from him? Do they think they will catch the autism?

Kids don't have the ability to recognize that kids who are "different" from them still deserve friends and social interaction.

That's a failure on the parents who don't recognize that discussing issues like autism, Down's Syndrome, and IDD in other children help teach their kids tolerance and acceptance.

Bit-Bit

This reminds me of that B in Apt 23 episode where James Van Der Beek was helping out that little girl for "altruistic" reasons.

he was taking pics and posting it online for non-altruistic reasons

Aiustis

Sitting alone isn't that bad; I noticed but I was pretty used to it. I sat by myself until probably the 6th grade. The worst year was second grade, it was the only time I felt bad about it; I went to two different schools in second grade; first one, no one wanted to sit next to me because I was black. The second one, because I wore glasses and I was a 'nerd'.

Surfinn

With so much negativity surrounding the internet lately, especially involving race, this is a refreshing change. As someone who has worked in in special ed. for years.. I think this is a fantastic story.

As someone with Aspergers, we can be oblivious at times to the cruelty and meanness of others. I remember getting set up for a rather mean prank by some classmates and was happy just because people were laughing and paying attention to me. I didn't realize til i was older and more self aware of myself and my quirks just how fucked up that prank was.
I know them feels bro.

Hope it got better for you.

This is awesome! Some people don't understand what a lasting effect this could potentially have.

I remember when I was in 3rd Grade, I moved from where I grew up. Before I moved, I had tons of friends and was always outgoing, and then when I moved, that all changed.

I was so bummed about moving, I would eat lunch alone and just walk around the perimeter of the schoolyard until it was time to go back in. No one really took the time to even notice me, or at least that's what it felt like. Eventually I realized I needed to start making friends, but every time I tried I would get shut down. I remember very vividly this one moment when I asked a group playing kickball if I could play with them, and they literally said they thought I looked like I wouldn't be good at it, so obviously that was a no. So after that moment, I stopped trying. I basically didn't have friends at that school until I moved again at the beginning of sixth grade.

I'm pretty sure that fucked me up because I have become very shy and cautious of new people since then. I'm slowly getting better socializing, but it's still difficult at times.

This story really hit me. I know the feel of that kid, and this football player is a top-notch dude. It's depressing though to think that the kid usually eats by himself.

Thetinman

I really shouldn't have read this it put me back at my table (the other kids called it my table by name) in grade school and the library in high school all alone knowing deep down that I was different. My parents thought it best to hide the fact that they knew I fell somewhere on the spectrum from me until I was 24. I didn't talk to them for all must a year and a half. I wouldn't wish all those years on anyone ever. High school was the worst that's when I knew not only was I different but I was gay. The days the library were closed I would just leave school. I could hide in class and in the library but there wasn't anywhere to hide in the cafeteria. Travis Rudolph did a really great thing and I would hope just one of those kid sits with him for the days to come.

I saw this yesterday and it hit me hard. Really cool the guy told the kids mom he can have his cell number too if he wants it. Awesome guy.

Worst thing about lunch for me was the good ol *everyone gets up from the table and moves when you sit down* routine they used to do to me.

Feel for the kid. I never ate with anyone at high school, eventually I brought my own lunch and snuck it into the library.

Clydefrog

Yeah, that kid's got a great home lunch thing going on. I remember my old, red plastic Garfield lunch box :)

What a great gesture from Randolph though. I'm sure it made that kid's day. Really makes me wanna go find a kid eating alone and ask if I can join. *tears*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom